WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valaesin

I always like to do the "holy machine parts" gilded for my marines, maybe a light brushing over gunmetal.  After all, even a chainsword is a holy artifact and in the hands of one of the Emperor's children would be highly decorated and blessed.

Lanaestra

Yeah, I'm mostly leaning away from gilded because there's an ornament towards the tip of the sword, and also the hilt, which are already painted that way. I'm contemplating a bright red, would set off the teal of the main blade body and (hopefully) have some of that retro-40k vibe. I just worry it might be a bit too garish...

Valaesin

Quote from: VonCrown on December 05, 2014, 12:17:56 PM
Yeah, I'm mostly leaning away from gilded because there's an ornament towards the tip of the sword, and also the hilt, which are already painted that way. I'm contemplating a bright red, would set off the teal of the main blade body and (hopefully) have some of that retro-40k vibe. I just worry it might be a bit too garish...

Try a darker red.  I don't have my paints in front of me, but a dark maroon mixed with some brown would give the blood of dried blood.  Maybe do gunmetal, then gold, and then dry brush that combination on.  The chainsword cut through some flithy xeno and dropped onto the box and dried there.

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 04, 2014, 05:30:39 PM
I'd probably kit her out with the Inferno pistol and sword (almost certainly a power sword). You can always model the book / scroll attached to her armour if you want to take them as wargear, and if you don't take them as wargear, they're just decoration on the model (because it looks cool :) )

Stuff like this would likely work well with the Sisters models

http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/equipment-and-accessories/candles-books-skulls-bits

Quote from: Hemingway on December 04, 2014, 05:40:48 PM
I'm with Hairy on the Inferno Pistol and Power Sword ( if that's what she can get ). Inferno Pistol would be worth getting just because it's such an iconic piece of Sisters gear.

Just a quick question: in the codex's reference table, weapons are listed as having S and AP stats. I guess that S is weapon's strength and that it's good if it's high. What about AP? Is AP 1 better or worse than AP 4?

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 05, 2014, 05:32:56 AM
Have you considered trying your hand at running it, or do you only want to play?

Oh, I'd like to play the game at the moment... I certainly don't feel ready to GM it. I haven't even read the book in full...

BTW. I have a question regarding the painting of minis: any advice on how to colour fire? Canoness' backpack has this chimney with a large outburst of flames... I wonder how to paint it so it would look good?

Lanaestra

Lower AP is better. AP is essentially what armor save you ignore. For example, Sisters of battle and Space Marines both have a 3+ armor save from their power armor. So for every wound they would take, you can roll a d6, an on a 3 or higher that wound is negated. However, if its from a weapon that's AP 3 or better (better meaning lower, so 2 or 1), then the armor save cannot be taken.

Also, AP 2 and AP 1 get bonuses against damaging vehicles, with AP 1 getting a larger bonus than AP 2 (because there's no such thing as a 1+ armor save)

You've got the right idea on strength.

Beorning

Quote from: VonCrown on December 05, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
Lower AP is better. AP is essentially what armor save you ignore. For example, Sisters of battle and Space Marines both have a 3+ armor save from their power armor. So for every wound they would take, you can roll a d6, an on a 3 or higher that wound is negated. However, if its from a weapon that's AP 3 or better (better meaning lower, so 2 or 1), then the armor save cannot be taken.

Also, AP 2 and AP 1 get bonuses against damaging vehicles, with AP 1 getting a larger bonus than AP 2 (because there's no such thing as a 1+ armor save)

You've got the right idea on strength.

I see. Thank you!

Alright then... for those of you who wondered about the sword: it's the Blade of Admonition and it's S +2 and AP 3. Looks like a really mean sword to me...

Hemingway

Quote from: Beorning on December 05, 2014, 07:02:30 PM
Alright then... for those of you who wondered about the sword: it's the Blade of Admonition and it's S +2 and AP 3. Looks like a really mean sword to me...

AP 3 means MEQs ( marine equivalents: units with 3+ saves, generally speaking ) won't get armor saves. Usefulness of +2 S depends, but I can't remember all the rules for strength off the top of my head.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Hemingway on December 05, 2014, 07:08:39 PM
AP 3 means MEQs ( marine equivalents: units with 3+ saves, generally speaking ) won't get armor saves. Usefulness of +2 S depends, but I can't remember all the rules for strength off the top of my head.

Easier to wound stuff in general. For a Sister, MEQs are now wounded on 3+ instead of 5+.

Hemingway

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 05, 2014, 07:10:52 PM
Easier to wound stuff in general. For a Sister, MEQs are now wounded on 3+ instead of 5+.

I don't know how I forgot about that - I only remembered the double strength bit. xD

Well. With that in mind, it depends on how many attacks the Canoness can dish out, really. And the points cost.

Beorning

What stat should I check to learn the number of attacks?

BTW. What is the role of HQ units in battle? Do they need to lead the troops, or could they be kept safe away from the combat? What happens to the army when the leader dies?

Lanaestra

In the normal infantry (or walker) statline, the number under A is your attacks characteristic, which is how many attacks you make in close combat (base, there are other things that increase this, such as having 2 close combat weapons - pistols also count for this, so sword and pistol effectively grants +1 attack)

One character in the army will be designated as your 'warlord', this character gets an extra special rule (generally rolled off tables, though there are exceptions). Your opponent gets an extra victory point if they manage to kill your warlord (in almost all missions, anyways).

Beorning

Thank you! :)

All right, a quickie question for you, guys: I'm browsing online shops for WH40K codexes right now, as I'm making a list of Christmas gifts for my family. And here's a problem: how do I know that a codex offered by a shop is the newest edition? None of the shops I can recommend to my family specifies such information...

For example, here's a Daemons codex at a good price:

http://vanaheim.pl/pl/chaos-daemons-podreczniki-i-zestawy/4660-codex-chaos-daemons-9781908872883.html

Is it the current codex, or something older?

I could ask my family to go to the local GW shop and just buy the newest edition there, but the books are somewhat more expensive there...

Hemingway

Easiest way might be to check Games Workshop's online store and compare.

HairyHeretic

GW tend to change the cover of the Codex each time they release a new one. Check GWs website and compare covers.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

I see. I googled around and you are right. Thank you :)

BTW. As I liked what I read of Dark Heresy, I ordered Black Crusade today!

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on December 05, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
Just a quick question: in the codex's reference table, weapons are listed as having S and AP stats. I guess that S is weapon's strength and that it's good if it's high. What about AP? Is AP 1 better or worse than AP 4?

Oh, I'd like to play the game at the moment... I certainly don't feel ready to GM it. I haven't even read the book in full...

BTW. I have a question regarding the painting of minis: any advice on how to colour fire? Canoness' backpack has this chimney with a large outburst of flames... I wonder how to paint it so it would look good?

Found this tutorial online:  http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_theory.htm
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

My copy of Black Crusade arrived today!

Now I want to play that, too! :) *waves a slimy appendage at potential GMs*

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

None that seem to last, unfortunately :/

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

I can't really glue stuff right now. I've just been fiddling with my last batch of miniatures, some dark elf Black Guard. I can't say I'm a fan of these particular plastic models. I don't know why, but GW decided to inject the plastic into the mold from the top of their pauldrons - and also split the pauldrons in two. It makes it really difficult to get good-looking pauldrons. It's a really hard area to scrape away excess plastic from ( pretty much the worst place I can think of ), and unless you use green stuff you're almost certain to get an ugly and uneven split in their pauldrons. It's pretty horrible. I'm thankful I already have ten or so metal Black Guard to fill the first few ranks.

I had the same problem with some other models, too - some dark elf warriors, I think. It's weird, because the older warrior models didn't have that problem.

Beorning

Are Dark Elves in WFB as scary as Dark Eldar in WH40K?

I admit that I just saw a DE tribute at Youtube featuring music by Dimmu Borgir and now I'm utterly creeped out by them...

Hemingway

I guess that depends on your idea of scary. Dark eldar have to capture and torment people to not lose their souls, or some such. Dark elves are just generally bitter and hate everyone. Including other dark elves. Maybe even mostly other dark elves.

Beorning

So, what's the dark elves' story? I don't know that much of Warhammer Fantasy's world...