News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Transplanting the human head/brain

Started by gaggedLouise, July 03, 2013, 03:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

Take a look at Eclipse Phase if you want an RPG look at some of this kind of stuff.

Transhumanism and close to posthuman stuff.

resleave your mind into genemodded bodies adapted for the situation. Olympian variants are suited for sports and high activity. Sylph variants are tailored to be attractive and pleasing. Mentons are geared for intellect and artistic endeavors. Heck, you could even download into a combat robot or into an uplifted octopus body. You could even 'fork' your mind. split out a copy of you to send and chat with a buddy on the other side of the solar system, then it comes back and remerges with you with all of its experiences, but be careful... if its been out and about too long it may not want to come back.

You. cannot. effectively. *die*. Just make sure to upload yourself every month at the backup server. Most genemod bodies have this thing called a cortical stack in the spine that keeps an up to the millisecond recording of your brain-life and memories. So unless your body is catastrophically destroyed or lost in space, they use that instead.

MKz

Umm.. You sure its not a hoax article..? My medical knowledge is around the one of a nurse, and this article sounds really unreasonable to me as there is a whole list of important problems with this procedure that the article didn't address. First of all - compatibility. Now lets say the body will not reject the head (a big problem as well), even then there is the issue of blood vessel locations- everyone has a differently located blood vessel system, even the main arteries are not in the same spots, how will you glue them all together so they will fit? and even if they do, the smaller blood vessels are important as well and if not glued correctly, can cause partial tissue death in different scales, and in the neck area that can mean crazy trouble. Then there is the problem of how to hold together the cut ligaments in the neck (all that assuming they can successfully cut off the head leaving the thyroid gland in tact). Those all are already problems that are very hard to handle but that's not even half of it. How do you keep the brain, and the body alive during such a long and complicated procedure? How you keep the organs alive and functioning after it? you may keep the heart and lungs working with machines but it will do no good unless the brain will take control eventually and that brings us to the most impossible problem- gluing the spine nerves together. If this one is not answered, then even if the surgery is a complete success, the patient will have to be on life support for the rest of his/her life. now remember how i told you blood vessels are not located in the same sports? Then imagine how much more complicated it is to glue two different spine cords together. There was an accident where they fixed an ALMOST dismembered kid's head back and that was already considered a miracle and the spinal cord and arteries had not been damaged . Now if fixing a damaged spinal cord on the same person is extremely hard if not impossible, do i really need to go into how impossible it would be to attach parts of different spinal cords and make them work (well at least with the technology we have today? The hormonal gap may also be a problem..

Oniya

As I said in the second post of the thread, I was surprised to find an actual journal citation for it - but there is one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17