Babylon 5 2nd Edition RPG - Station Based Everyman Game?

Started by RubySlippers, January 14, 2013, 09:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I have an idea for a Pak'ma'ra Telepath likely non-adult ,its a Pak'ma'ra not exactly a sex kitten race, but would like a game on the B5 station with more everyday sorts of people that are not the heroes and heroines of the universe using the Babylon 5 RPG 2nd Edition rules and supplements for the Pak'ma'ra race and Telepaths if possible.

If we can get a GM and some players it would be a fun game I think.

Muse

I'd like to chime in as also an intrested player.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

Good some interest.

Some may ask why a Pak'ma'ra character interest for me well no one plays them and second the idea of a Pak'ma'ra Telepath is so unsettling to most mundanes of other races as to be amusing. I'll likely make it a working telepath at this point at least getting into it, not necessarily by human standards an ethical one. Well there is doing harm directly and ferreting out a traitor for a B5 gang leader and he exacts his discipline on the parties, then removing the bodies can be arranged for a small fee to to the Paks (who would discretely remove and eat them since its a holy act sending a bad sentient to be Churned later and all).

I might a sexy telepathic alter ego though for ,er, negotiations with non-Paks.

Marie Reynolds

I am not sure what i am going to play ill what to see what a GM weighs in on. Before i decide.

ebpohmr

When in the timeline were you wanting to play, and how close would you want to stick to canon npc's/events etc?

Etah dna Evol

I am a fan of the show but never played the game. If I don't need extensive knowledge of the system, I am down to rock a Narn leader of some sort.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

RubySlippers

Its a Paks so well in my case anytime but post Shadow War would likely be best, can keep some of the cannon characters left on the station then.

I would like to play at 3rd Level though someone seasoned a bit but not to seasoned if possible.

I might go with another option it but the Pak'ma'ra are just so neat although mine might have a partner they do have friend pairings as an option, checking the Bablylon 5 Wiki. It depends on where mine chooses to live.

ebpohmr

Off the top of my head, its been a while since I read the books, the obvious choice is to start the game around about season 1 and run from there. The canon story would still go on in the background, adjusted and renormalised for when the players do something that should break the storyline. That would give a series of more global events in the background. The players would likely be the 'extras' - people whose lives go on in the everyday insanity of station life. Not to say you won't be heroes or villains in your own right, just not to the spotlight epicness of the Sinclair, the Sheridan or the Ivanova, for example. Even saying that, there is an insane amount of scope to become the 'unsong' heroes of the story.

So, I would imagine the players having to deal with the gangs, criminals, corrupt station security goons, rogue telepaths and whatever else can come along to challenge the everyday existence of B5 residents. All this set against the vague backdrop of the ongoing storyline.

Does that sound about right?

RubySlippers

Could be fun Paks are largely ignored but she will likely work for the Ambassador on the League Council for free and work as a telepath with more flexibility than the PSI Corps after all it is not human so is not bound by the human rules, just the contract terms. And well there are many parties that would hire a telepath with some flexibility in what they will do for the money.

I have a draft character framework using the basic point buy. Can work it out if this goes ahead.

ebpohmr

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 18, 2013, 02:56:24 AM
Can work it out if this goes ahead.

I am in University at the moment, but when I get home I'll start skimming through the books, draw up some notes, and get a rough story idea together. If it works for you, we'll take it from there.

Muse

This does sound like a plot with potential.  :)  I hope my narn girl with her ka'toc will fit. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

My character can fit in anywhere that is why its a cool concept protector of her race, free agent telepath with modest limits and there in the background a bit more outgoing having dealings with outsiders more than most others of its kind.

ebpohmr

Sorry I haven't got back sooner! GM'ing this game is still on my radar in a big way - just having some RL things doing their best to monopolise my time!

A question that you lot can start hashing out the answer to - what level of board would you like this game to live on? Remember - if we are on the light board for example, that doesn't mean non-con scenes can't happen, just that they will need a solo thread, fade to black or move to PM. What sort of themes would people like to explore?

Note - if you are not happy discussing this kind of thing here, drop me a PM. I don't bite - unless you tell me that is a turn on of yours! ;)

Muse

*Waves*  I quite enjoy NC-Exotic System, but don't mind other places either.  :) 

RubySlippers

Well I'm going to do a 1st level point buy character as a base and we can go up from there as needed.

EDIT: Anyplace in the threads will do save extreme. Sent in my draft sort of character by pm it was fun to make. Can tweak it as needed.

Marie Reynolds

Well i do not have a problem with non con and exotic would seem a good fit. Sorry i have just been lurking on this but I am waiting to see what comes for the plot and such and if the Pak ma aan race focus is chosen as the focus for the game ill be sitting back working on reading up on the race.

ebpohmr

So far, non con exotic seems to be the consensus. I just want to point out that if someone is not comfortable with this, you are still welcome to fade things to black when things get too much for you - just make sure people know why!

As for race Marie, pick whichever one you'd like. The game will mostly be based on the B5 station, so you can use any race that might be present there ;)

Marie Reynolds

So has a level been decided on as well as other character generation specifics.

ebpohmr

Not specifically, but for now just build a level 1 character straight from the book. I'll try and throw together a basic version of chargen for those without access to the book!

Muse

Cool.  :)

Let's see what I can still dig up about this character, and find out if she can have her Family Ka'tok feat at first level.  :)

RubySlippers

Might change my character some, does the GM have access to the Heroes & Aliens book I was thinking of taking a less common alien template maybe a Zanderian. Its the species Dureena Nafeel is in the post-series Crusade line.

But now the home planet is still intact if the game starts at the beginning of the series she would be one of those that left their homeworld likely to seek her fortunes as a telepath and learn about other species, likely one of the few survivors after the Shadows blast her home planet to ashes with the Planet Killer. Would make things interesting all around its not a mover and shaker species so would be outside the big intrigues but would also have a later transition after her world is devestated being likely one of the few survivors.

Plus they just look neat.

EDIT: I really like the Zanderian character draft over the Centauri one.

THYREE OLEERON
THY-rEE O-Leer-on

Free Minds Authority Telepath

Zanderian Female
1st Level Telepath

Defense <10>
Hit Points <9>

ABILITY SCORES
Strength 9 <-1>
Dexterity 10 <+0>
Constitution 16 <+3>
Intelligence 14 <+2>
Wisdom 12 <+1>
Charisma 14 <+2>

CLASS FEATURES
P-Rating <P11>
Telepathy Feats - 1st Level <+6 P-Rating>

FEATS
1st Level <Telepathy>
At 2013-01-19 02:06:48, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 2d4 Result: 7 not including the -2 reduction so its a result of 5.

SKILLS
Concentration (Con)  4 Ranks + Con 3 <+7>
Diplomacy (Cha)  4 Ranks + Cha 2 <+6>
Linguistics (Int)  4 Ranks + Int 2 <+6>
cc Profession - White Collar [Telepath] (Wis)  2 Ranks + Int 2 + Organization 2 <+6>
Sense Motive (Wis)  4 Ranks + Wis 1 <+5>
Stealth (Dex)  4 Ranks Racial Bonus + Dex 0 <+4>
Telepathy (Cha)  4 Ranks + Cha 2 <+6>

SAVES
Fortitude (Con)  Class 3 + Con 1 + Racial 1 <+5>
Reflex (Dex)  Class 0 + Dex 0 + Racial 1 <+1>
Will (Wis)  Class 2 + Wis 1 <+3>

BASE ATTACK BONUS  <+0>
Melee BAB  <-1>
Ranged BAB  <+0>

INFLUENCES
Babylon 5  <5>

CREDITS  <150>

LIFESTYLE  <Poor 300 Credits, 2 Months Paid>

EQUIPMENT
Translator <2 lbs.>
Rucksack
A Few Outfits, Personal Grooming Items and Native Jewlery
Free Minds Authority Pin
Identicard (with banking chip)

APPEARANCE
A humanoid and very human overall appearance with soft feminine feeatures with brownish skin from the Eastern Tribal region and mottled with darker brown and striking green catlike eyes. Her hair is dark brown and she is shapely but not strong not that it matters she is fit looking and tends to dress to appeal in simple practical pants and a tunic of leather and straps over that a jacket, long length boots that lace up the front and a colorful green and brown inlay sash of her tribe the one known for its telepaths and oracles (on her planet) and native jewelry making her look pretty primitive to some. The only thing other than that is a pin of the Free Minds Authority worn openly at her "lapel" area on the left side of her outfit.

PERSONALITY
More outgoing than most of her species and no one dared enslave her the telepathic powers she possesses are impressive by any standard and tends to be more freedom loving than her people. Curious, socially gifted and not a commonly seen species she enjoys the time spent traveling before settling on Babylon 5 which she finds even more exciting and many chances to earn a living. She is not biased to any species her people tended to be screwed over by many races so they are all the same except humans whose dealing with the Dilgar are known even to her people. Her taste is lovers is pretty flexible she favors women as companions and for relationships but finds males appealing but is selective. As for being a telepath she is not exactly restrained in using the talent she has no issues surface scanning anyone she meets and using her powerful gifts to defend herself as well as earning a living but focuses on mostly on the contract.

BACKGROUND
Not complicated she was born to the one tribe strong in the gifts of telepathy even among her tribe was a rare flower and she left the second she could find a way off, trading her telepathy to a Narn that needed a Centauri telepath who wronged his family taken out. And some commercial scanning work for a year for the passage it wasn't all bad on her travels she joined the Free Minds Authority and was able to leave the ship at Babylon 5. Since then she has been networking, working just enough to survive and then some to allow her time to network and established herself as an alien telepath for hire that works under the rates of Psi Corps even with her cut to the FMA of 20% she is not doing to bad but plans to move up the living standards as soon as the station is more on-line.

ebpohmr

Having found where I had been hiding the books, I have access to:

Core Rulebook, Cold Equations, Ragged Edge, Ships of the Galaxy, Ship Builder's Manual, Final Flight of the Santiago, The Drakh, Bounty Hunter, Heroes & Aliens, The Lurker's Guide to Freedom Station, IPX, The Rim, Leap of Faith, Lurker's Guide to the Pak'ma'ra, Thirdspace, Lurker's Guide to Telepaths, Legend of the Rangers, Lurker's Guide to Starports, Lurker's Guide to Gaim and Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

So Zanderian is fine. ;)

Also, now I have found my books, I can walk anyone who needs it through character creation.

RubySlippers

Okay then she is done I figured 150 credits for native clothes and things to look pretty she is not one to doll up but is still a female, and has some money left kept on her identicard.

ebpohmr

Okay gang, I'm looking at getting the game started towards the end of the coming weekend, by this time next week at the latest.

Watch this space!