A Suggestion of sticky thread for the Group Wanted...

Started by Cynadea, September 20, 2014, 08:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynadea

Right now, the Group Wanted board feels more like a "Group offered" board to me. So I find myself wanting to play a particular character in a particular setting, but having to go through pages of groups in hopes to find what I'm looking for.

Maybe a sticky where people can post their "looking for specific group" post that won't get lost among the advertisements? It would be a place where GMs can go have a look and send the player a PM if their group is what the person is looking for? The request could have a form similar the Classifieds for one shot has.

Just a thought. ;)

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

BAMF

This is a cool thought! I'm not super interested in playing in groups, but I think this would be a cool resource for GMs and players alike.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Vekseid

As in, divide it into player seeking group and group seeking players?

Cynadea

yes. I think just a sticky thread working like the classified of the "One Shot" board would work well. Players would post their "I want to play this kind of plot, in this kind of system" using a form and game GMs could send PM to submit their games.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

Dotley

Just my view, but if I understand correctly that sounds like a brilliant idea. As a co-GM I'd definitely keep an eye on it in case someone posted in this potential sticky thread and what they were searching for matched up with the game I'm helping to run. And as someone who primarily writes M/M I'd post to it as well since I'm always on the lookout for group games where M/M pairings are active and welcome.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Rogue

It's also awesome for those who want to participate in Fandom games since it makes it easier for the myriad of HP games to find HP players or to see if there are a lot of players who want to play in a specific world.

Chrystal

At first, I thought, "Nah, this is a silly idea", but then I thought about it a bit, and I have changed my mind. I would certainly look in such a thread. In fact I would almost certainly post in it, if only so I got to see any new posts, so I knew if there was anyone looking for anything interesting...

The only thing I would say is that it would require players advertising in the thread to "tidy up after themselves" by marking posts as "Taken" or deleting them.

One of the more annoying aspects of the One-shots wanted thread is that your post can very quickly get lost amidst the clutter (which is why whenever I put a new idea there I link back to all the previous ones). I can see this being an issue with this idea too. It could very quickly become filled with posts that are from members who have dropped out, or posts that have been taken and not marked as such, and the guy who posted first and still hasn't had his request met a month down the line is left with no-one looking at his post anymore.

It is impossible to "bump" an individual post, except by deleting it and re-posting it. But if this is allowed, the thread could quickly become a game of "handsie" - where the guy who finds himself on the bottom moves his post to the top, and everyone else does the same until that is all anyone is doing in that thread...

So, I like the idea, but I think it needs to be carefully thought out how to implement it and what rules to put in place....

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!