Obama Elected President of the United States

Started by Avi, November 04, 2008, 10:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

Alright, it is now official.  Barack Obama shall be the next President of the United States of America, and in an impressive win at that.  Whether you supported him or not, it is an historic night, with the first African American president ever.  Thoughts?  Concerns?  Random bursts of excitement?  Put them here.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Jay

Zakharra

I hope the Congress is not Democrat controlled and I hope Obama doesn't fek up the country too badly before he is replaced.

The Overlord

Quote from: Jay on November 04, 2008, 10:52:12 PM
*holds up black power fist*

You should make that a fist for America at large. African-Americans have every right to be prideful of what has just occurred, but so should the rest of us who believe in the spirit of the principles the nation was founded on. That Obama is our first black president is powerfully symbolic of the transition this election represents, but the inverse is also true; states like Iowa turned to Obama in the primaries, and this election a southern state and former Confederate state Virginia chose him.

Race did matter for this election and it didn't matter, and for all the right reasons. I've long stated that this election could remake or break my faith in my country, and I'm relieved to see the former occurred. We've just watched America grow up a little bit more, and in the process we've likely inspired ourselves and the rest of the world.

Quote from: Zakharra on November 04, 2008, 11:37:27 PM
I hope the Congress is not Democrat controlled and I hope Obama doesn't fek up the country too badly before he is replaced.

You mean...hope he doesn't fek things up worse than the last guy.  ;)

Demoness

Quote from: The Overlord on November 05, 2008, 12:10:51 AM
You should make that a fist for America at large. African-Americans have every right to be prideful of what has just occurred, but so should the rest of us who believe in the spirit of the principles the nation was founded on. That Obama is our first black president is powerfully symbolic of the transition this election represents....

I am proud, and I don't have a drop of black blood in me. It's good to know that racism, while not dead yet, is broken and dying. It's good to know that black Americans have someone like Obama to look up to, that they don't have to worry that the color of their skin will make it impossible for them to be accepted the way he has been. And for me, it's good to know that someone as kind and inspirational as Obama can break through the cynicism which rules our politics far too much of the time.

Yet I also find this day somewhat bittersweet. Support for LGBTQ rights has been merely lukewarm, with various anti-gay propositions passing in multiple states. I know why there has not been greater support from the democrats, I understand that Obama and others have far too much to do to focus on gay rights, I agree that issues such as the economy and health care are more immediately important and that fixing them will do a lot of good for everyone (people who feel safe and prosperous are, in general, much more likely to be accepting of strange, different folk)... but it still hurts. A lot. Before this election, I was too cynical and inured to bigotry to let such things affect me... now, I feel somewhat hopeful about this country, and with that comes both happiness and pain.

Jay

Quote from: Demoness on November 05, 2008, 02:40:49 AM
It's good to know that black Americans have someone like Obama to look up to, that they don't have to worry that the color of their skin will make it impossible for them to be accepted the way he has been.

I'm not sure I would go that far. While it is definitely a great achievement and has renewed a lot of my hope, we have four more years to see how much of a blessing it truly is.  Getting in the White House, while a gigantic step, is still only one step.  While I joke and mess around with my Caucasian friends (and rub it in their face a bit) this is truly a victory for all Americans.  A horrible four years will do a lot more harm than the good of being the first black president.  So I'm not completely ready to call Obama our shining black knight just yet.

Until he screws up though, its party time!!!

MagicalPen

Am I making this up, or did Obama say something like this:  "Withdrawal of all US Forces from IRAQ in 16 months"?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Mia

I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

Moondazed

*breathes a huge sigh of relief*  My husband and I were both terrified that we'd get four more years of the same.  I sincerely hope he's able to fulfill some of his campaign promises, but I surely wouldn't want to be him, walking into the monumental mess the last 8 years have wrought.

I'm also disheartened by the passage of gay marriage bans :(  While the US grows up in one way, it regresses in another *sigh* 
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Inkidu

I have to say I'm less than optimistic. Obama seems a little too, "Everything will be idealistic." however, I would like to believe I'm a patriot and I will support his decisions because he is my president. I did the same for Bush, and I'll do the same for Obama. Here's hoping...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Obama sounds like he knows that he doesn't have an easy road ahead, but at this point, any improvement will probably make him seem like the FDR to Bush's Hoover. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avi

'Tis amusing to listen to die-hard Republicans preaching DOOM FOR THE WORLD just because they didn't win.  Honestly, folks, did you really think McCain ever had a chance, barring a major flub by Obama?  This election was a referendum on Dubya and the economy more than anything else. 

Within minutes of the results being announced, a friend of mine who was deeply Republican decided that Obama's win will trigger a civil war between Dems and Repubs, then when that failed to happen, proceeded to attack Michelle Obama's dress at the victory speech.  Didn't McCain say his supporters should now turn around and help Obama?  If you supported this guy for a year, then continue to do what he asks of you, no?

Zakharra

Quote from: The Overlord on November 05, 2008, 12:10:51 AM
iYou mean...hope he doesn't fek things up worse than the last guy.  ;)

Yes. People bitch at how badly things were messed up with a Republican controlled  White House and Congress, if the Democrats control both branches, they WILL fsck things up. I will bet money on it. Of one party control screws things up, the other party controlling both will do the same. Having a divided Congress is the best option because it keeps one party from railroading things through.

They want higher taxes, more restrictions and regulations, not freedom. More restrictions on those that disagree with them. their policies of soak the rich is utter BS. You think the Republicans spent money? The Democrats will spend more in buying your vote and cover it in good sounding words.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 05, 2008, 08:52:26 AM
'Tis amusing to listen to die-hard Republicans preaching DOOM FOR THE WORLD just because they didn't win.  Honestly, folks, did you really think McCain ever had a chance, barring a major flub by Obama?  This election was a referendum on Dubya and the economy more than anything else. 

Within minutes of the results being announced, a friend of mine who was deeply Republican decided that Obama's win will trigger a civil war between Dems and Repubs, then when that failed to happen, proceeded to attack Michelle Obama's dress at the victory speech.  Didn't McCain say his supporters should now turn around and help Obama?  If you supported this guy for a year, then continue to do what he asks of you, no?
Twas amusing when liberals thought Bush would bring the end of the world too. Gee, they're more alike than they'd admit! :D

I'm with Zakharra, one party control is never a good thing. I don't know about the rest of it, but it's entirely seemly under a one party control.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShrowdedPoet

*dances about happily*  MCCAIN DIDN'T MAKE IT!!!!  YAYS!!!!  *wipes away tears of joy and rejoices in the new day*
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Inkidu on November 05, 2008, 08:13:01 AM
I have to say I'm less than optimistic. Obama seems a little too, "Everything will be idealistic." however, I would like to believe I'm a patriot and I will support his decisions because he is my president. I did the same for Bush, and I'll do the same for Obama. Here's hoping...

Blindly supporting decisions you disagree with isn't patriotism. This country was founded on disagreement and compromise, it is how our system was designed. If disagreement means you're not a patriot, well, I guess that means none of the founders of this country were patriots at all.

BUT, thank GOD Obama won.

I spent all night with my friends cheering evertime a bunch of states went blue and cursing out the states that stayed red. I even called my friend in South Carolina and started harassing her about why she let us down by not making her state turn blue. heh.

And when Stewart announced Obama won... We were jumping and hugging and cheering like we just won the world series again. And our black friends who were there (both in their sixties) were crying and laughing. It was really amazing for them and for the country really. I wasn't a huge 'Bama supporter, Hillary was my girl, but I really do hope that Obama can start healing the rifts in our society and help repair a lot of damage that happened not just in the last 8 years, but in the last two decades of so in which both sides have become so virulent and ferocious in our atacks on one another, that we don't even listen to the other side anymore. We just spill rhetoric and close ourself off to discussion. It's gotten pretty sad in my opinion.

I really do hope the next four years live up to the expectations we're carrying after this election.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Inkidu

Quote from: Apple of Eris on November 05, 2008, 02:39:57 PM
Blindly supporting decisions you disagree with isn't patriotism. This country was founded on disagreement and compromise, it is how our system was designed. If disagreement means you're not a patriot, well, I guess that means none of the founders of this country were patriots at all.
Then why vote anyone in to office? I don't blindly follow anyone, but you don't have to believe in someone to give your support. I didn't really like Bush and I really don't like Obama, but I'm going to support them because the people think they are and, where the best choice for the country. In four years if he's done bad I will vote against him. I will not however, bad mouth the president just because I think he sucks.

Moondazed

I think that operating based on alignment instead of consensus would take this country a long way.  Consensus is about people whether they're an US or a THEM, and then making decisions accordingly.  Alignment is about actively listening to all perspectives and making an active choice to align behind an option that may not be exactly what you wanted, but you can accept.  Or course it's not possible in all situations, but the mindset of Us/Them starts the entire conversation out based in controversy, where the mindset of Alignment starts the conversation with the act of genuinely listening to what the other person has to say, and why.  Actively listening, meaning not listening with one ear while formulating your opinion and response even as the other person is still speaking.  I don't love everything about Obama, but I'm not willing to let the fact that no one is running I 100% agree with stop me from participating in a process that defines this country.

/end soapbox
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Brandon

Im not so happy that Obama won for my own reasons that I wont go into here. However I am willing to give him a fair chance. Maybe Im wrong about his policies, in fact I hope I do turn out to be wrong about a lot of things when it comes to his plans for the country, but no matter if you were an Obama, McCain, or even Nader supporter hes in office now and now we get to find out if change is what he really will or can bring. I hope he does and Ive never wanted to be wrong about a politician more in my life.

That said, as an independant it seems to me that democractic voters are using this opportunity to gloat and rub the win in republican voters faces. I even see that in this thread a little bit and its not cool. To often do I see us seperating ourselves into Red & blue when we are supposed to be united where the majority rules and this republican vs. democrat attitude can only serve to seperate us. Please take a step back and think about how you are saying what you are saying

Finally I just want to say congratulations to President Obama. He has earned his position and Ill be judging him just like I did every president since Clinton
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on November 05, 2008, 08:13:01 AM

I don't believe that to be the case at all, Inkidu. Did you watch his speech from Grant Park? I tend to agree with the assessments I've read on it; this was a momentous and joyous event, but Mr. Obama did a fine job of delivering the sobering reality of what lies ahead. This man is possessed by no illusions, and he's assured us as well.

Avi

What is all this stuff about Obama being the Anti-Christ?  Not that I believe it, I just want to know where the heck it came from.

Cecily

Quote from: aviationrox on November 06, 2008, 10:52:02 PM
What is all this stuff about Obama being the Anti-Christ?  Not that I believe it, I just want to know where the heck it came from.

It came from racists and/or incredibly ignorant people.

theLeslie

Quote from: Inkidu on November 05, 2008, 02:45:47 PM
I didn't really like Bush and I really don't like Obama, but I'm going to support them because the people think they are and, where the best choice for the country.

Blind patriotism is about as fun as blind truck drivers.  If you don't like the president it is your OBLIGATION as a patriotic american to make a big stink about it.  That's why we have our freedom of speech.  It is -extremely- unamerican to just rally behind the president because they're the president.  This country was founded based on a revolt by the people.  (rich white people, but whatever.)  To do their actions injustice by bowing to tyrany just because it's there is a horrible waste of your first amendment rights.  I voted for Obama, and not just because I didn't like McCain, but if he starts doing the wrong thing, you can be damn sure I will be making a fuss about it, as often as I can.

Oniya

Quote from: aviationrox on November 06, 2008, 10:52:02 PM

Quote from: Arabella on November 06, 2008, 11:29:31 PM
It came from racists and/or incredibly ignorant people.

You'll get the doomsday-sayers trying to make connections with the Anti-Christ whenever there is someone new, exciting, and outside their comfort-zone in power.  I even saw one site that claimed the latest Pope was the Anti-Christ (or at least the 'false Pope' predicted in Revelations).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Demoness

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2008, 07:24:19 AMI even saw one site that claimed the latest Pope was the Anti-Christ (or at least the 'false Pope' predicted in Revelations).

Hell, Martin Luther claimed that the Pope of his time was the Antichrist. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Catholics back then responded by accusing Luther of being the Antichrist. These accusations have been being thrown around for an awfully long time.