What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2011, 07:33:09 PM
A.) PC elitists. B.) Lazy developers.

Dammit, you've seen through me. I was trying to disguise my PC master race ideology as a legitimate opinion, but you figured me out!

Edit: Just for the sake of it, GameSpy agrees with me:

QuoteRed Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is the kind of shooter that can live only on the PC. It's far deeper than console shooters, and makes no concessions to accessibility to appeal to a casual audience. This is as hardcore as first person shooters get, and if you're prepared to put the time in to learn how to play it well, you'll be rewarded with a level of satisfaction that team deathmatch will never deliver.

Ha-hah!

Wolfy

I hate games that use the entire keyboard. D:

...:/ I mean seriously, it's like you have to have a trained spider to push the keys for you.

Inkidu

QuoteRed Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is the kind of shooter that can live only on the PC. It's far deeper than console shooters, and makes no concessions to accessibility to appeal to a casual audience. This is as hardcore as first person shooters get, and if you're prepared to put the time in to learn how to play it well, you'll be rewarded with a level of satisfaction that team deathmatch will never deliver.

That's probably the most PC-elitist thing I've heard this month.

1.) Hardcore being the only claim it can't be on consoles? Check.
2.) The idea that hardcore cannot exist on consoles, and as such only on the PC? Check.
3.) By extension of the previous that there are no hardcore gamers on consoles? Check.
4.) No actual proof that it couldn't be made for consoles. Check.
5.) A general vibe of PC-elitist snobbery? Hell to the motherfucking check!

No one ever seems to give me a legitimate reason other than the fact that it "just shouldn't happen" or just outright denial. This is kind of how that other master race got into so much trouble and eventually died out... hintity hint-hint.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on September 15, 2011, 07:42:10 AM
I hate games that use the entire keyboard. D:

...:/ I mean seriously, it's like you have to have a trained spider to push the keys for you.

Working on it.

(Arachnophobes:  It's a puppet.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Trust Oniya to defuse a potentially messy situation with a cute picture.

Sabby

Uhg... just fucking no...

Quote from: New Brazilian Max Payne that looks nothing like him and instead resembles a leopard skin leotard wearing turn of the century weightlifter"Painkillers?! These accusations are false! My intense resistance to bullets and dialated view of the passage of time are the results of thousands of squats performed on the hard ground! ALLYOOP!"

Geeklet

Looks more like a cross between John McClane and Obadiah Stane

Sabby

Quote from: Geeklet on September 15, 2011, 06:50:43 PM
Looks more like a cross between John McClane and Obadiah Stane

+

=

Makes sense. Now lets run another equation for the same result.

+

=

Well everything looks in place to me! -.-

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 15, 2011, 06:24:27 PM
Uhg... just fucking no...

Wow, that's an old issue. I still have it in my shelf, but I had written it off months if not years ago. It was supposed to be set years years after the second game.

Still, I haven't heard a peep from it in a long time.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

I'm aware of that, but theres new stuff out for it and they've stuck with the new look... they took a year off with Splinter Cell Conviction to rethink his badass look, and they let THIS continue? Dx

Inkidu

I thought Rockstar did the Max Payne games? Splinter Cell is Ubisoft. :\

I got Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. Those spiders aren't nearly as big as I thought they'd be. I was really hoping they'd be bigger. The jet armor is pretty bad-ass.

Hemingway

Max Payne was great, and I absolutely loved Max Payne 2. Max Payne 3 ... I doubt I'll get, unless the reviews for it are fantastic. I have my doubts, though. It's being developed by Rockstar, so I can't imagine the reviews of it will be bad ( or, as I like to say, reflect reality ).

If they took any time away from this because of Splinter Cell, it was to avoid copyright infringement on account of the new Max Payne being basically a bald version of the new Sam Fisher.

Sabby

It's Euphoria and Bullet Time. It's guna be kickass.

Hemingway

May Payne without the dark and gritty neo-noir setting is just another third person shooter with a gimmick. Instead we get a bald guy who may be going on a killing spree in a roid rage.

Sabby

Steroids? These accusations are false! *dive dodge!* ALLYOOP!

Inkidu

ReanimateMagnus

Finished: Dead Island
Playing: Age of Empires Online

Sabby

I didn't even get to Chapter 3 of Dead Island. My brother played, and I find out that it only has one autosave... because, ya know, NO ONE plays Dead Island alone! It's all about lanning, so why on Earth would anyone wanna save their individual progress, amirite?

So now I just don't feel like replaying Chapter 2, because there was a LOT of progress I lost. I'll get back to it at some point, I'm sure.

Picked up Banjo Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts. It's... a little traumatizing, what with the platformer elements pretty much lopped off (you have jump and attack, thats it) and finding out Kazooie was a girl is bad enough, but they could have been a bit gentler about it... I mean. Look. Seriously.

My first thought was "OH GOD! Why is he looking at me like he wants dick?! D="

Plus it's not helped by the premise... this is just a personal thing, though. I don't usually find 4th wall breaking to be clever or funny. Theres exceptions, and BK has always been guilty of 4th wall jokes, but the entire premise of the game is one constant smash in the 4th wall. The Lord of Games, or LOG, suddenly grabs all the well known BK characters, puts them in a Game World, tells them this is a game and they should get to work, and each new World has a reel to establish what 'roles' the 'actors' are playing. Humba in the Hub World is just a store manager and is totally on board with all this so knows shes a vendor in a game, but go to the technology World, and she's 'The Gutsy Gamer Girl' with appropriate characterization.

It's not a deal breaker, but its a constant annoyance to me, plus it really highlights how devoid of ideas Rare was when they got bought for such an insane amount of money. Instead of creating gaming gold like they did with the first two BK games, they just dragged everything from those and put them on display to get the fans squealing. No need to add new characters, Microsoft didn't pay for new gold, they wanted the old stuff polished.

HAHA! LOOK! Klungo runs an arcade! HA! That's funny, because that implies he has a life and career outside of this video game and he's just here working like a normal person! That is so comedic and hilarious! Remember Klungo?! He was in the last two games! Isn't it great to see your old pal Klungo again? Aren't you amused that Banjo and Klungo are talking like actors on a set when the cameras are off? Isn't this much better then Banjo Kazooie 3? aren't you happy we made Rare Lego Racing: Cameo Edition instead?!

Inkidu

November 11th can't get here fast enough. I need something with substance. I'm starving over here! I've picked so many of my deeper games to shreds. Here's hoping Batman: Arkham City is as deep as they promised.

Wyrd

Quote from: Sabby on September 16, 2011, 02:44:12 PM
I didn't even get to Chapter 3 of Dead Island. My brother played, and I find out that it only has one autosave... because, ya know, NO ONE plays Dead Island alone! It's all about lanning, so why on Earth would anyone wanna save their individual progress, amirite?

So now I just don't feel like replaying Chapter 2, because there was a LOT of progress I lost. I'll get back to it at some point, I'm sure.

Picked up Banjo Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts. It's... a little traumatizing, what with the platformer elements pretty much lopped off (you have jump and attack, thats it) and finding out Kazooie was a girl is bad enough, but they could have been a bit gentler about it... I mean. Look. Seriously.

My first thought was "OH GOD! Why is he looking at me like he wants dick?! D="

Plus it's not helped by the premise... this is just a personal thing, though. I don't usually find 4th wall breaking to be clever or funny. Theres exceptions, and BK has always been guilty of 4th wall jokes, but the entire premise of the game is one constant smash in the 4th wall. The Lord of Games, or LOG, suddenly grabs all the well known BK characters, puts them in a Game World, tells them this is a game and they should get to work, and each new World has a reel to establish what 'roles' the 'actors' are playing. Humba in the Hub World is just a store manager and is totally on board with all this so knows shes a vendor in a game, but go to the technology World, and she's 'The Gutsy Gamer Girl' with appropriate characterization.

It's not a deal breaker, but its a constant annoyance to me, plus it really highlights how devoid of ideas Rare was when they got bought for such an insane amount of money. Instead of creating gaming gold like they did with the first two BK games, they just dragged everything from those and put them on display to get the fans squealing. No need to add new characters, Microsoft didn't pay for new gold, they wanted the old stuff polished.

HAHA! LOOK! Klungo runs an arcade! HA! That's funny, because that implies he has a life and career outside of this video game and he's just here working like a normal person! That is so comedic and hilarious! Remember Klungo?! He was in the last two games! Isn't it great to see your old pal Klungo again? Aren't you amused that Banjo and Klungo are talking like actors on a set when the cameras are off? Isn't this much better then Banjo Kazooie 3? aren't you happy we made Rare Lego Racing: Cameo Edition instead?!

Why!!?? Why would you talk about this game, Sabby> I.. I thought this game was almost out of my mind(What with BK and BT being my fav games next to Mass Effect), now you make me remember the evil this game brought to the gaming world. And... you really didn't know Kazooie was a girl
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

October has Arkham City and Battlefield 3, though.

I mean, as much as I like Red Orchestra 2, Battlefield 3 will be the definitive multiplayer FPS. I mean, it has it all, all those little things I miss in modern shooters. Like the ability to mount a light machine gun on a bipod, being able to suppress enemies, and .. well, at least judging by the trailer, no insta-kill knife ( that is, you can apparently use it in different ways, some more lethal than others; the instant knife does not kill in one hit ), and ... apparently ( I'll take this with a grain of salt, but still ... ) it's possible to counter knife attacks.

I mean. Boom! A lot of the most annoying problems in modern shooters, FIXED, like that. Now, if only we could find some way of making everyone stop playing snipers. But I'll settle for just killing snipers. They make such beautiful targets.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 16, 2011, 07:01:27 PM
October has Arkham City and Battlefield 3, though.

I mean, as much as I like Red Orchestra 2, Battlefield 3 will be the definitive multiplayer FPS. I mean, it has it all, all those little things I miss in modern shooters. Like the ability to mount a light machine gun on a bipod, being able to suppress enemies, and .. well, at least judging by the trailer, no insta-kill knife ( that is, you can apparently use it in different ways, some more lethal than others; the instant knife does not kill in one hit ), and ... apparently ( I'll take this with a grain of salt, but still ... ) it's possible to counter knife attacks.

I mean. Boom! A lot of the most annoying problems in modern shooters, FIXED, like that. Now, if only we could find some way of making everyone stop playing snipers. But I'll settle for just killing snipers. They make such beautiful targets.
Uh... it's good you're looking forward to it, but it's a moot point for me. I'm kind of limited to playing single-player games. That's why I've got such trepidation about Dead Island. I don't want to be stuck with a multiplayer focused game and out fifty or sixty bucks on it too.

EDIT: Since I don't want to double post. The only thing wrong with EDF: Insect Armageddon is the lack of in-mission checkpoints. I got really sick of getting all the way to the end of one level after fighting off a horde only to get hit by an exploding car inches from a health pick-up.
Oh, and my AI squadmates never shut up. Seriously, they're wounded waiting for my survival and they still spout the same can-of-worms speech.

EDIT 2: So I beat it... yeah I'm probably going to go back and focus on another suit. I liked the Battle Armor a lot. That shield could stop anything.

Hemingway

Ugh. Xbox Live matchmaking is an atrocity. I suddenly understand PC gamers' ire over certain games not having server browsers. But matchmaking in, say, MW2 actually worked. Here I can barely find games, I often get put in unbearably laggy games ( it's not consistent, so the problem clearly isn't on my end ), and ... well, I just joined a game with 16 players. Then ... I don't know what happened, but suddenly there was just me and one more guy.

Sabby

Okay, I am loving Nuts and Bolts. In fact, I liked all of Rare's new games to some degree, they just have the misfortune of being compared to old Rare games, and lets face it, that's a handicap on par with having a limb lopped off. The levels in this game are so beautiful and crazy looking, the design team must have had a field day when they were told "Hey, design the inside of an Xbox" "But we don't know what that looks like o.o" "So make shit up! =D" "Alright!"

Rivers of coolant, plastic wrapped ribbon cables spiralling upwards as stairways, motherboard platforms and elevators, game discs spinning in the floor, robotic roaches and mice running around (get it?! bugs in the system!) and it all just looks so great and imaginitive and colourful, and I could never quite put my finger on it with Viva Pinata, but theres a nice... glow, I guess? Everyone is shiny, but not like its been polished and had some overblown bloom effects.

I'm actually losing sleep on how addictive it is, I say okay, I'll finish this vehicle and go to bed, then I see a building I haven't checked yet, and three hours later I'm driving back to the work shop with four crates all piled up in my tray all excited over what could be in there. Is it thrusters? Please let it be thrusters!

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts - Halo Vehicle Collection II

Frost

I am playing *drum rolls* Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - it is a fun game but a lot on the screen , just been playing for like 2-3 hours and now all i can see are the insects when i close my eye's lol, not a serious game but a joy to play :)