What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

@Lotusgirl: You should probably stay away from Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then. Scariest game of all time, ever, in all the history of time. I want to play it, but I can't bring myself to it, it's just too creepy.

Speaking of AI, the Replica soldiers are CLEVER. I can see why the AI of the game has been praised.

I'm really liking this game. Seems I've been missing out for five years. At this point, I'll probably have to get FEAR3 ( F3AR! ) when it comes out. Which, unfortunately, as per now, is the same date as Crysis 2. Which I'll probably have to get, too, despite the setting being one I don't really care for, and the gameplay trailers I've seen looking ... not as impressive as the original Crysis did. I might wait for reviews with that one. Hmm, looking at this list ... March looks like it'll be AMAZING. Deus Ex, Dragon Age 2 ( which may or may not SUCK because they're turning it into NOT A HARDCORE RPG BUT OKAY ), F3AR, Crysis 2 and Shogun 2: Total War. Whew, that's ... a lot.

One thing I'm concerned about in F3AR. It looks like it'll be a co-op game. Which is going to make it significantly less scary, even when playing it alone. I'm not sure that's the best move. Unless the story just kicks ass.

Personally, I'm rooting for Alma.

Wolfy

Ah yes...the Fear Company's Scheme was brilliant. Create Psychic Super Soldiers. Create a young girl to control them.

Then stick her in a tube, knock her up, and take the babies, then leave her to rot.

BEST. BUSINESS PLAN. EVER.

I mean jeez...nothing could go wrong with that at all, now could it?

Lotusgirl

@iiEnigma: Vindictus is the free online fighting MMORPG game, right? How is it? Should I try it, because most free online games totally suck. For example Lord of the Rings Online, since it is for free it lost most of its charme. :(

@Hemingway: Good to know, I haven't heared of "Amnesia -  The Dark Descent" until now. But maybe I should buy it for my best friend then. She's the total opposite of me. :D She watches all those gory movies, and plays all the creepy games. The "creepiest" games I play are Resident Evil games and Left 4 Dead.

Yeah, Dragon Age 2 and Shogun 2 are on my to-buy-list too. And hopefully next year the new Star Wars Online RPG will finally be released.

iiEnigma

Quote from: Lotusgirl on November 22, 2010, 08:13:22 PM
@iiEnigma: Vindictus is the free online fighting MMORPG game, right? How is it? Should I try it, because most free online games totally suck. For example Lord of the Rings Online, since it is for free it lost most of its charme. :(

So far so good but it gets kind of repetitive. your given a certain amount of tokens every few days and when you get higher level you have to use the tokens to get in the mission areas. They use that to there advantage since you can buy extra tokens with real cash. If your a casual gamer there's really no problem though.

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on November 22, 2010, 08:06:57 PM
Ah yes...the Fear Company's Scheme was brilliant. Create Psychic Super Soldiers. Create a young girl to control them.

Then stick her in a tube, knock her up, and take the babies, then leave her to rot.

BEST. BUSINESS PLAN. EVER.

I mean jeez...nothing could go wrong with that at all, now could it?

A lot of people blow this out of proportion or quote it incorrectly >.> Alma was just one in a whole group of potential candidates, they didn't expect any of them to even come close to that level of psychic ability, and when she did show that potential, they actually removed her from the program because of the risks. That's why she was impregnated, so they might get a better candidate with her pedigree.

They never said "Let's make tortured rage controlled mentalists and then give them the keys to a clone army". They intended to make completely sane commanders, fully expected the first batch or two to be total flops (because it's science, ya need to assume this) but none of them counted on Alma taking control of Paxton Fettel. He is an example of what they wanted to achieve. But he was perceptible to Alma, who used him to free herself.

So, no, it's no where near as bad as everyone likes to throw around without actually checking up on it. Sorry if I sound snappy, but it really does frustrate me how easily people can just repeat popular opinion like this >.>

Hemingway

They actually cut off Alma's life support, knowing she was too dangerous to keep around. I guess they didn't expect her to go shrug, and refuse to die. Or, technically, she did die. But got better. Sort of.

Inkidu

Despite the shear, abject terror Alma has plagued me with since playing the first F.E.A.R. game she's kind of sympathetic if she wasn't trying to turn me inside out like Holiday. Poor Holiday.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Crackdown 2.

I think I know what makes me like Crackdown, what separates it from all the other GTA clones. Well, the premise of GTA with super powers is too awesome for words, but all you get is super jumps, melee, super speed... all just enhanced versions of skills you already have in these kinds of games.

No, it's the driving. Or more specifically, everyone elses. People drive like fucking maniacs with the accelerator duct taped to the floor. In GTA games, car's just stop the second you get close, and they're never going very fast, even on the freeway. I just watched someone tear down the street and take a cop cars door off.

And then there's how much the tyres effect your car! If they're going at any kind of real speed and you shoot the tyre, these guys swerve so hard they end up doing a 1080... and it's damned fun when you happens to you.

It just adds to the chaos. Without that, this would just be a bland GTA clone with cheats on.

Wolfy

WoW...The Shattering has happened, and everything is changed.

Inkidu

I'm sad. No more good games until 2011. Then, then it's to The Sprawl!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Nothing good until 2011? *Checks list.*

You appear to be right. In fact, there's nothing really good coming before February, possibly even March. Depends on how Bulletstorm turns out. Also, depends on whether the Steam release date for Deus Ex ( February ) or the Wikipedia one ( March ) is right.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 24, 2010, 05:34:07 PM
Nothing good until 2011? *Checks list.*

You appear to be right. In fact, there's nothing really good coming before February, possibly even March. Depends on how Bulletstorm turns out. Also, depends on whether the Steam release date for Deus Ex ( February ) or the Wikipedia one ( March ) is right.
Dead Space 2. January 24. Got mine pre-ordered by accident (the guy put it instead of Dead Rising 2). It's looking epically scary.

You need to get Dead Space, H. You won't be able to play for more than thirty minutes without your joints locking up in terror or strain though.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on November 24, 2010, 05:51:47 PM
Dead Space 2. January 24. Got mine pre-ordered by accident (the guy put it instead of Dead Rising 2). It's looking epically scary.

You need to get Dead Space, H. You won't be able to play for more than thirty minutes without your joints locking up in terror or strain though.

Still need to pre-order my collectors edition...

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 24, 2010, 05:51:47 PM

I'm not getting Dead Space. My brother had nothing good to say about it, and I usually see eye to eye with him on things like that.

I seem to be getting to the end of FEAR now. I still have both expansion packs waiting ( both were included in the Steam version, which makes it a ridiculously good deal ), and ... yeah, it's lasted like 8 or 9 hours already. That's about twice as long as most action games I've played recently.

Tiaan

I missed Dead Space 1 as well but have heard about it - I can't resist scary things so will definitely be getting the second one when it comes out, kinda feel like the release date is kinda close so I'll just wait for that instead of getting the first one.

Also isn't Dragon Age 2 coming out in January as well? February maybe.

Sabby

Dead Space is a good quality third person shooter, with good variety of enemies and scenario's, but it isn't scary. The first time you step on a Necromorph and it leaps up with a roar, yes, it's surprising, scary even, but when they do this at every turn, it's no longer horror, it's Whack-A-Mole with groaning corpses.

But I did like the focus on strategic dismemberment :) It missed a few opportunities, like how taking the head off didn't effect their ability to navigate... if ammo were more restricted, and there were a little more strategy in dismemberment (remove head, disoriented Necromorph attacks anything nearby, mislead it or start fights) then yes, I'd be prepared to call it horror :) 

Wolfy

Just bought borderlands for my PC...Oh, how I love Steam sales.

Hemingway

Quote from: Tiaan on November 24, 2010, 07:14:50 PM
Also isn't Dragon Age 2 coming out in January as well? February maybe.

March, according to the list I was looking at.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on November 25, 2010, 05:45:36 AM
Dead Space is a good quality third person shooter, with good variety of enemies and scenario's, but it isn't scary. The first time you step on a Necromorph and it leaps up with a roar, yes, it's surprising, scary even, but when they do this at every turn, it's no longer horror, it's Whack-A-Mole with groaning corpses.

But I did like the focus on strategic dismemberment :) It missed a few opportunities, like how taking the head off didn't effect their ability to navigate... if ammo were more restricted, and there were a little more strategy in dismemberment (remove head, disoriented Necromorph attacks anything nearby, mislead it or start fights) then yes, I'd be prepared to call it horror :)
You know what? Scary is in the eye of the beholder. I still have nightmares about the wailing dudes on the walls and the shrieks of the guys with the exploding arms because you know one of them is right the hell behind you. Now I played it on Impossible and came out the other side. It's a very ambient, tense, terrifying experience that doesn't use crappy controls as its vehicle of fright. It's hands down scarier than the first Resident Evil no doubt.

Brandon

You didnt have Advent rising before? I have no words for how much I pity you. More seriously, I loved the game and still play it now and then. Its perhaps the one game that I feel needs a sequel because of its unique story

Im now working on my second New Vegas playthrough and this time Im going with hardcore mode. Im still planning out the character but I think she will be a theif. Having small guns, lockpick, and stealth as tag skills but also picking up speech as a fourth skill (the most useful utility skill in the game IMO). Although i might trade in the small guns for unarmed, both are nice and silent
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

:D..Just got a free copy of Audiosurf. Man...Gifting is the greatest Idea of all time...why doesn't microsoft copy it? They'd make the same amount of money!

Sabby

Don't bother with Hardcore Mode... it's one big fucking lie x.x It tells you at the start that if you complete it, you get a 'special reward'. That was why I played it. I was intrigued, but didn't wanna Wiki it. So I played the whole game in HM, finished it, got the Achievement... nothing. Started a new game, maybe my 'Reward' would carry over. No? Okay... Now I can Wiki it.

The Achievement was my reward? What? That's not special! Oh, wait, there's something else! Yay! ...

Silly credits? Really? I played 20 hours of tedium so that I could see what the dev crew have as nicknames?

Fuck off x.x

Wolfy

Sabby

Yup, and may drag ya to my room to take out my angries on ya *smirks*

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on November 25, 2010, 09:01:12 PM
Yup, and may drag ya to my room to take out my angries on ya *smirks*
*gasp*