What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Actually I can see why someone would choose not to play a Final Fantasy game.

To me, and this is my personal opinion, the Final Fantasy series is the embodiment of the Japanese rpg's cookie cutterdom. Sure I like FF 8 as much as the next fan but 12 really opened my eyes to how much the JRPG needs to catch up.

12 was a sloppy, (apart from the opening cut scene) really bland, clunky, grind of a game. The main character is a typical androgynous dude with no personality and no development. The battle system was really dull to look at (even the Turn-based systems had some flare to them) and combined it with a ridiculously unforgiving license board system. seriously.

For another example take Last Remnant. I recently found out the game was only beatable if you fought only story battles because the final boss is so ridiculously scaled to you he's unbeatable. Add in an unpolished feel and some massive slowdown and it's not what you expect for Square-Enix.

I think what the original poster was saying is that despite how the cookie looks on the outside, you can pick off all the sprinkles and the frosting and still get a plain old sugar cookie when you wanted chocolate chip.

I'm actually quite hesitant to even consider buying 13.   

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LilyPetalLips

FABLE!

It sounded so promising and yet it was just a boring, linear, very short gaming experience.  I disliked it so much that I traded it in for FFX2 ... seriously.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Spookidu on October 25, 2009, 03:46:04 PM
Actually I can see why someone would choose not to play a Final Fantasy game.

To me, and this is my personal opinion, the Final Fantasy series is the embodiment of the Japanese rpg's cookie cutterdom. Sure I like FF 8 as much as the next fan but 12 really opened my eyes to how much the JRPG needs to catch up.

12 was a sloppy, (apart from the opening cut scene) really bland, clunky, grind of a game. The main character is a typical androgynous dude with no personality and no development. The battle system was really dull to look at (even the Turn-based systems had some flare to them) and combined it with a ridiculously unforgiving license board system. seriously.

For another example take Last Remnant. I recently found out the game was only beatable if you fought only story battles because the final boss is so ridiculously scaled to you he's unbeatable. Add in an unpolished feel and some massive slowdown and it's not what you expect for Square-Enix.

I think what the original poster was saying is that despite how the cookie looks on the outside, you can pick off all the sprinkles and the frosting and still get a plain old sugar cookie when you wanted chocolate chip.

I'm actually quite hesitant to even consider buying 13.

After FFXI (And that was because a friend was playing it) I've not touched another FF game.  I can't really call them games, they are more like almost interactive movies.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Cold Heritage

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. I mean, I thought it'd be a sandbox, GTA style game where I could run around and smash things to my heart's content. But, well, the difficulty scaled way too fast for me, and it was a pain in the butt to remember all of the special moves I was supposed to use to defeat each opponent (like, I HAD to use one moveset to defeat helicopters, because throwing junk at them didn't cut it, and another against gigantic, building sized Hulkbuster robots). I really didn't feel like Hulk was strongest there is.

QuoteI can't find any real comparisons between Final Fantasy VIII and IX

This's the kind of thing that fills me with nerd rage.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Haruki

With JRPGs, the keyword here...or rather, letter, is "J".  Our American / European gaming culture is so filled with MMOs and the like, and Western-style RPGs have proven to be a strong segment....just look at older titles like Ultima and newer franchises like The Elder Scrolls.  Don't forget, DnD started it all, right here in the U.S.  WRPGs have seen an upswing the last near-decade, after the 1990s prominence of the 16-bit and 32-bit eras, when JRPGs were 'talk of the town' here with more folks.

Japan, on the flipside, is tepid with trying out new things.  Dragon Quest hasn't changed through....what....NINE installations.  I won't even get started on the insane amount of very niche, very fan-pandering titles (ie: stuff released by Gust or NIS.  Many of which have been released Stateside), with their hyper-exaggerated character models that make 'otaku's eyes oogle, their tongues flap and their mouths water.  It's creepy if you ask this long-time JRPG fan.

Final Fantasy, especially after VII or maybe X...not sure, has actually slo-o-o-owly been tailored more and more towards the Western mindset with more 'realistic' (that is, no big eyes / small mouth, no wild-exotic clothes, no multi-colored hair, younger-than-teenaged-looking protagonists), and tweaks or (with XII) full retoolings to the tired old turn-based setup it's had since the NES debut.  The series may be big in Japan, but Dragon Quest by far, trumps it two-fold in its native country.  Over here, it's the #1 RPG franchise in the console market, so they've always attempted.....with haphazard results (FF XII again) in catering further to a Western audience.

I believe that should explain a bit better what is wrong with JRPGs in general, for those who 'were' interested.  Everyone has their favored genre out there, and what anyone says is subjective....only opinion.

I'm scratching my head over all the Flash-based MMOs though.  Where in heaven's name or who's butt are those being crapped out of?

Personal note: I have the entire series to date, but I haven't completed a game since FF VI (as FF III for the SNES) back in 1996.  Part due to time, part due to just....I'd hate to be lumped in with all the over-obnoxious fans.  I'm more collected and civilized about the things I enjoy.

Ah yes, and to swing this back on the topic..... I'll never play ICO again.  Not because it was a horrible game.  Loved that thing from beginning to end.  Rather, it's because it's short.  10 hours it took me to blaze through that title.  Turned it back in to the local Gamestop for someone else to pick up and enjoy.

Probably shouldn't of done that though.  They probably enjoyed it, but then clung to it.  It's going for $30-40 loose or complete (but flawed) up to $200+ for sealed copies.  Dammit!  *falls over*
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Morven

They stopped selling ICO, I take it?

I rented it, it seemed fun enough, but not enough to REALLY REALLY have to play.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Haruki

Quote from: Morven on October 31, 2009, 03:15:22 AM
They stopped selling ICO, I take it?

I rented it, it seemed fun enough, but not enough to REALLY REALLY have to play.

Yeah, it hasn't been in print for years.  Taken as it is, it was fine to me, though they seemed to want to aim more for artistic value than actual gameplay.  Its short play time and over-blown price tag in the second-hand market my big negative points.

I should really have answered the question though....what I 'regret' buying / playing....

I'd have to say this old PS2 RPG called Ephemeral Fantasia.  I dislike games with time loops.  That and its battle setup was clunky to me.  Good thing I didn't spend too much on it.  Konami (its publisher) knows how to create good RPGs (Suikoden series)...they slipped up on this one.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Brittany

The last Star Ocean game.  I think it is the new hope?

I loved all the games, my brother had the Snes ones and I had the PS and PS2 ones.  I was really looking forward to it, and I was so disappointed :-(

I don't think the game was so bad, it was more the voice acting or the scripting.  Every... single... character.... discussed... every... minute... detail.... of.... everything... in... the.... most.... mundane.... way.  Sometimes it is better to say "Now you must die!!!  Charge!!" than "I'm afraid that we must engage you in a holy battle which will determine the fate of time, space and the known universe.  However I deeply regret having to engage in such a battle.  But I will.  Because the world depends on it."

Also there really wasn't much plot, and what there was was unoriginal and stolen.  I was really disappointed and sad :-(  Now I do not know what to do if SO5 ever comes..

Aftiel

Xenosaga 2: Xenosaga was a good game, good depth of story, intresting battle methods, tactics, beautiful as any game of that time. Xenosaga 2 was horrible, boreing, annoying, and it turned its own story upside down and undid everything you learned in Xenosaga, It completely changed its combat stytem, to an annoying one where even random battles that you need to grind to level up to beat the boss takes in excess of 15 minutes, also eats up alot of your resources so you need to rest often, then after you beat a boss, your relegated to watching more crap go down the drain in the form of a 20+ minute movie, it also focused on everyone but the two main characters to an annoying degree. (Edit:) I forgot, Xenosaga 2 is the ONLY RPG i have given up on half way through, any others even if I didn't like them i played all the way through.

Spore: Promiced the world and gave you, hours, and hours, of the same damn thing, when you first play it, you go wow this is cool, i can adjust the devlopment of my own species until its intligent and forms tribes, then you get into space, the story demands you need to go to the center of the galaxy, the only way to get there is to SLOWLY move from star to star, or if your lucky find a wormhole thats kinda close, which you then loose and can never find your way back home again, once you get close you run into the Grox, who are horribly overpowered and nearly impossible for you to deal with without spending 20+ hours JUST grinding your stupid colonies for spice, gee hours and hours of the same thing without any changes in a game that promiced fun intuitive and creative play? no thanks.

WoW: everything that i can say about this game already has been

Final Fantasy X, X-2, XI: Also everything I can say about these have been

ALL SPORTS GAMES with the exception of blood bowl: They are boring, especially the ones that let you customize your team, but otherwise their the same damn annoying thing over and over.

Prototype: It had promise, but its story was too short, and too stereotypical, government trying to control disease to make super soldiers, gets out of hand, yadda yadda, dry and old.

probably a few others im not thinking of right now.
I was such an edgelord a decade ago LOL.

Kurzyk

I'd say Ultima Online. There are so many games that are superior to it. My UO days are done. heh

The only thing I miss are having houses and vendors to sell wares. That was really fun. But it's not worth the aggravation of dealing with that company again and their lousy servers. *shivers*

Kazyth

Everquest.  I tried to get back into it a while back, and I just couldn't do it.  The graphics are terrible compared to newer games (I know, it started back in the 90's, but it really hasn't updated that much since then graphically), and the gameplay itself is so clunky.  You have to grind out over 600 AA (Alternate advancement points, which are basically a different way to use your XP) by a certain level now to do anything worthwhile, and it's so rife with bots and the like anymore because of that requirement.

EQ2 was more fun, and had houses and the like, but still lacked something for me.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Sydonai

Assassin's Creed, they kept saying at the beginning of the game that they respect everyone's beliefs and practices just to promote their game whereas in truth at the end of the game, they don't, they just...don't, and another reason I hate AC was because of its repetitiveness, wow! the graphic is good for the first few hours, wow! the gameplay is so engaging, you could jump from building to building and even hang on to almost everything jutting out from a wall but as the game progresses it gets repetitive, to assassinate your target you have to collect certain amount of hints or clue by doing all sort of repetitive quest from your collegues(like collecting flags, assassinating a certain target or get to one point of the city to the other before the time runs out) before long it gets awfully tedious and I won't even bother to find out what the entire story is about anymore.

grdell

Topping the list is SimCity Societies. I have been a big SimCity fan for a long time, but they really lost me with that one. None of the promotional material even so much as hinted at the fact that the intended audience was apparently the 12-14 year old crowd. The game is so hideously dumbed-down that it is simply no longer fun. They ripped out almost everything that made SimCity worth playing, and their new content - apparently intended to take the series in a "new direction" - could not capture my interest. AT ALL. Easily my biggest video game purchase regret of all time.

Spore. I resisted for a long time because all of the promotional material I saw for it looked like it had been made by Dr. Seuss. I liked the concept, but didn't like its cartooney presentation. But finally, I gave in and bought the thing. The controls are difficult, the graphics insipid, the experience pointless. I stopped playing about a week after I bought it and I haven't played it since. Likely never will again.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Will

I've got to go with FFXII.  I found it so incredibly beyond lame that I haven't even thrown it out because I'm too disgusted to touch the damn thing.

Some of my beefs with the game have been mentioned, I think:  Awful characters (mostly... Balthier was decent), uninteresting story.

There are a few other things that bothered me, though.  First of all, if I have to utilize a save point during the battle with a mark, that mark has too many hit points.  I have no desire to fight a mark for hours upon hours.  Insanely high HP does not make a boss difficult, nor does it make it fun.  It's just a grind, and a pain in the ass.  Secondly (and the biggest reason I refuse to play it anymore), the graphics on the spell animations are so good that the system can't handle more than one high-level spell at a time.  They have to go one at a time.  Note that physical attacks still go as fast as they wanna, but if you want to heal your party, you gotta wait.  It gets EXTREMELY frustrating when there are a lot of enemies on the screen, and it even seems sometimes like their spells get off first, and bump yours down.

Also, I hated the license boards.  I'm used to there being some sort of fundamental differences in my characters in a FF game, but I had a majority of licenses filled for everyone without too much effort.

I could even go on.  Wtf was up with the summons?  They were terrible.  Gambits made the battles so boring it hurt.  Ashe was really whiny.  Bahamut is a dragon, not a ship.  Etc, etc, etc.  I will never touch FFXII again.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Leonis

I can't think of a game I hated enough to regret buying, but I might not play F-Zero GX again because my memory card went bad sometime after I got a Wii. I had unlocked literally everything in that game, and doing so required completing so many hair-tearingly difficult tasks...
I still think it was the best racing game on the Gamecube, however.

Paradox

Yoshi's Story (N64).

I don't even want to go into how much I abhor that game, lest I fill ten pages worth of this thread.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Lady Annabelle

Personally, I think the question is a bit harsh as I think at least every game has some redeemable quality to them.

Now, with that being said, it is going to take a ton for me to pick up the Saga Series again.  Saga Frontier 1 & 2 along with Unlimited Saga were really hard games to enjoy.  I am a pretty hardcore RPG player, but even those games were a bit too much.

Ugh, I was so happy when I stopped playing those games.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Brittany

Quote from: Monochromatic on September 22, 2009, 05:07:39 PM
The SIMs (any of them). For some reason ,I just cant get into them. I love building the homes and whatnot, but actually playing just bores me.

So true!!!! :-)  I had the first one.  I liked to create people who looked like people I knew.  I liked making the houses and everything.  But then that was it, and I wanted to start over. 

I never really did... anything on sims :-D

Sabby

Operation Flashpoint: Drgon Rising.

So realistic, it makes me wanna go AWOL. Just like real war.

Drake Valentine

Hmm... So many, it is hard where to really start...

Yoshi Story - Was it? The game with the baby Mario and you have to carry the damn thing around through the whole game without him being stolen? And baby Mario will just cry all the damn time when he is stolen or being carried off? Talk about wanting to break a SNES game into pieces.

I think that is most annoying I played so far of older games, sure there may be others- but on to newer genres.

Onimusha(sp?) series - Or whatever is the proper spelling of its name, you know the one with the samurai, I think it had three games to it? Any who, I didn't like it because at its time it was PS2 base but they didn't use ANALOG stick for movement. Actually, I don't think the first two used analog stick at all, I'm not use to D-Pad movement for consoles with a joystick to them. *Cough*

FFX-2 - Ugh.. Well.. I just didn't feel right playing it... All I can really say on that one, no elaboration needed.

Hmm.. *Ponders.*

NWN Expansions - I dunno, I tried them, I just couldn't really get into them.. Then again NWN games started to grow old to me.. I was more of a Baldur's Gate fan myself.

The Sims - Just not that many creative ways to kill them or on the first one there wasn't.. Never tried 2 or 3, if I played them it would be just to kill them off. Morbid am I? I think not.

Star Ocean The New Hope - Just wasn't what I expected it to be....

I'll list more later, need to eat some food. ;o

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Talia

Re: What will you never play again?

Me...if I'm reincarnated to live the same life over again......

Sorry had to do this...I've past this thread too many times, always wanting to answer it this way!
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Lirliel

One game will never reach my computer's slot EVER again:

Stronghold 2, I started it up, looked fun enough, enjoyed the first one, I started playing it and very.. very quickly I started to feel what I call my gamer sense tingling.. this was going to be a BORE-fest and damned if I wasn't right.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Transgirlenstein

Jason and the Argonauts.

I love Greek mytholgy and an rpg about it should be cool.  The problem is it follows everything I hate in rpgs.  No character customization at all, not a very exciting story, a lot of cut scenes, no way to influence the story at all when it matters, no actual parts on the ships, no decision about where to go first, invisible walls, levels where you pretty much follow a line surrounded by invisible walls and little exploring.

Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Rosetti

Forbidden Siren.

I don't recall ever feeling so violated and cheated by a game. Urgh.
Never Say Never - From countless, the phoenix rises. The title for one who keeps coming back.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sydonai on November 18, 2009, 02:32:34 AM
Assassin's Creed, they kept saying at the beginning of the game that they respect everyone's beliefs and practices just to promote their game whereas in truth at the end of the game, they don't, they just...don't, and another reason I hate AC was because of its repetitiveness, wow! the graphic is good for the first few hours, wow! the gameplay is so engaging, you could jump from building to building and even hang on to almost everything jutting out from a wall but as the game progresses it gets repetitive, to assassinate your target you have to collect certain amount of hints or clue by doing all sort of repetitive quest from your collegues(like collecting flags, assassinating a certain target or get to one point of the city to the other before the time runs out) before long it gets awfully tedious and I won't even bother to find out what the entire story is about anymore.
They actually never said the supported anyone's beliefs. They said it is a game developed by a multicultural team with many religions and beliefs.

Assassin's Creed II is so much better. It's hard to say how much. Everything you have a gripe with is fixed. Though climbing can still get repetitive. The views of Renaissance Italy are much better. AC II is what AC was building up to. Really, the plot is extremely cool too if you like that kind of conspiracy theory stuff. I can understand why you wouldn't want to play it though. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.