The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Hmm...surprisingly good reviews for Wonder Woman are coming out. I still want to see the RottenTomatoes score, but this is kind of a shocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONiW6__i1Nw
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Seems like word is out. Tom Hardy will has been cast as Venom...don't know how I feel about this.

Does feel like Tom is going for the record of comic book character roles.

First Bane, Flagg, now Venom.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheSithChicken

Mathim

But still, Sony sucks ass at making Spider-Man related films (didn't they at one point discuss the possibility of an Aunt May film?), so how can this be a good thing? Unless Marvel is holding their hand the whole way, this doesn't bode well.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

That's kinda funny as Bane's super-steroid of choice is Venom
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 20, 2017, 09:45:56 AM
Seems like word is out. Tom Hardy will has been cast as Venom...don't know how I feel about this.

Does feel like Tom is going for the record of comic book character roles.

First Bane, Flagg, now Venom.

Well, he's tied at 2 with Chris Evans (Captain America and Human Torch), Ben Affleck (Daredevil and Batman) and Michael B. Jordan (Human Torch and now Eric Killmonger/N'Jadaka from the upcoming Black Panther...and maybe 3 if you count his telekinetic character from Chronicle), and he needs to catch up with the 3-comic character players like Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool, Hannibal King from Blade, and Hal Jordan's Green Lantern), and Josh Brolin (Jonah Hex, Thanos, and Cable).

TheSithChicken

Chris Evans had played 4 comic book characters. Human Torch, Captain America, his character in Push, and his character in Scott Pilgrim.

wander

It got announced earlier this weekend, though Mera's costume for Aquaman was been shown, looking way sleeker and more faithful to the comics than her Justice League armoured look. I think Amber Heard looks pretty damn awesome as Mera IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTReWBkCu8

Mathim

Quote from: DarkPrince on May 20, 2017, 11:34:04 AM
Chris Evans had played 4 comic book characters. Human Torch, Captain America, his character in Push, and his character in Scott Pilgrim.

I forgot Scott Pilgrim was a comic book movie (I didn't care for it nor ever read the comics) but Push was an original (if shitty) film.

I'm curious to see how Aquaman's movie (hypothetically) will work, if it's supposed to be mostly underwater.

TheSithChicken

Nope. Push is officially a comic series under the Wildstorm imprint.

Mathim

Before or after the movie? Because I remember reading something back then that said it wasn't based on anything. Regardless, that was an awful movie.

If you count TV shows, Brandon Routh is another with four under his belt; like Evans, he was also one of the seven evil exes from Scott Pilgrim, he was Superman, he's also Ray Palmer/The Atom on the CW shows, and he was Dylan Dog which is also a comic property.

SapphireStar

There is also John Glover. He played Lionel Luther on Smallville. Dr. Jason Woodrue who created Bane in Batman and Robin. Voice of Edward Nygma/Riddler on Batman Animated Series.

Mathim

Oh, dear god, if we go the voice actor route, holy shit...even just cameo appearances would push tons of people over the current record, LOL.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: DarkPrince on May 20, 2017, 09:53:41 AM
Hardy didn't play Flag. That was Joel Kinneman.

My bad. Been fighting sickness this past week X_X
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Mathim on May 20, 2017, 09:23:27 PM
Before or after the movie? Because I remember reading something back then that said it wasn't based on anything. Regardless, that was an awful movie.

Before.

greenknight

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 20, 2017, 11:20:37 PM
Quote from: DarkPrince on May 20, 2017, 09:53:41 AM
Hardy didn't play Flag. That was Joel Kinneman.
My bad. Been fighting sickness this past week X_X
In all fairness, Tom Hardy was originally cast as Rick Flagg and had to bow out.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

mia h

https://youtu.be/RZpJeuXo2CY
If nothing else I think it's the best looking trailer for a CW's hero show.

wander

I heard that Black Lightning will be seperate to the Arrowverse as the series devs don't want and so right now are not going to be involved in any crossovers. At least, they're saying that now. We'll see what the future and potential rating shifts bring. ;)

Mathim

Eh, it's probably bound to do the same thing as Supergirl.

mia h

Quote from: wander on May 21, 2017, 11:26:50 AM
I heard that Black Lightning will be seperate to the Arrowverse as the series devs don't want and so right now are not going to be involved in any crossovers. At least, they're saying that now. We'll see what the future and potential rating shifts bring. ;)
Even from the trailer you can see that BL is supposed to be it's own thing, Arrow was supposedly the first vigilante (well technically it was Wildcat but he fell over in a street fight and hasn't been heard from since) so having BL be both active and retire before Ollie visited the island doesn't fit (yeah, they could explain it away with Flashpoint but it'd be a stretch). Also with Arrow heading into season 6, you have to think how many more seasons does the show have left? So by setting up a new universe they can keep the superhero shows running without having to worry about 'cannon' from the 6 Arrowverse shows.

Mathim

Question for anyone who's seen Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 recently: Do you remember what scene it was where the song Come a Little Bit Closer was playing? I'm remembering it being when
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yondu, Rocket, Baby Groot and Kraglin were tearing their way through the Ravager ship on the way out
, but I can't remember for sure. Can anyone remember well enough to confirm or correct this?

wander

Quote from: Mathim on May 21, 2017, 03:35:57 PM
Question for anyone who's seen Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 recently: Do you remember what scene it was where the song Come a Little Bit Closer was playing? I'm remembering it being when
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yondu, Rocket, Baby Groot and Kraglin were tearing their way through the Ravager ship on the way out
, but I can't remember for sure. Can anyone remember well enough to confirm or correct this?

Yeah, I remember it being as such myself.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on May 22, 2017, 04:10:17 AM
Yeah, I remember it being as such myself.

I mean, the beat totally fit the scene, but the lyrics SO did not fit AT ALL. LOL.

SapphireStar

Apparently, Stan Lee has stated that a Major character is about to be dropped in Avengers: Infinity Wars. Someone that has not already been confirmed. According to the article Feige has expressed interest in some of the Fantastic Four elements, not necessarily the team itself but more interest in Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer and Galactacus.

mia h