News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Any good MMORPG besides WoW?

Started by Bloody Rose, November 09, 2011, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andronica

Oh man, Guild Wars 2 <3. I was just playing the April BWE but unfortunately my newly built PC decided it would have a fit the night the event ended. Still, such an awesome game. I've been playing WoW on and off since vanilla and tried several other f2p and p2p MMO/RPG games but I can't even bother with those any more since I was in the GW2 beta. That game has spoiled me.

Sel Nar

I know! It's like a hit of pure smack, when all the other MMOs out there are cheap-ass substitutes that cost more than the pure stuff.

Everyone I've talked to has, after playing the GW2 beta logged onto their 'other' MMO of choice, basically said 'Nope' and is jonesing just as hard for another Beta Weekend or release.

Slywyn

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 08, 2012, 09:32:16 PM
I know! It's like a hit of pure smack, when all the other MMOs out there are cheap-ass substitutes that cost more than the pure stuff.

Everyone I've talked to has, after playing the GW2 beta logged onto their 'other' MMO of choice, basically said 'Nope' and is jonesing just as hard for another Beta Weekend or release.

I've actually started playing Skyrim again because it's similar to GW2, and ToR just bores me now. There's no exploration. Nothing to just... do. It's either dailies, or quests, or crafting. Can't go find things, other than gathering.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Shjade

Quote from: Spectfade on May 08, 2012, 11:18:53 PM
I've actually started playing Skyrim again because it's similar to GW2

Really? That goes against pretty much everything I've heard about GW2 so far. O.o
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on May 09, 2012, 10:16:34 AM
Really? That goes against pretty much everything I've heard about GW2 so far. O.o

.... GW2 doesn't remind me of Skyrim... Because if it did I wouldn't bother with it.  The game is great, I've actually just started playing LoL in due to Tor and WoW just sucking in comparison to it.  I'm really excited about this game and that is saying something as I don't get giddy for just any game.... Cept ME3... Hmm... Maybe we should all calm down just a bit.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Slywyn

Quote from: Shjade on May 09, 2012, 10:16:34 AM

I meant more like, the exploration aspect and you can go do whatever you want.

And they're both fantasy, where my true love lies.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sel Nar

Ah, but in Skyrim, can you do... this?

Guardian using the skill 'banish' to punt a dolyak

Edit: Also in GW2-related news, there's a Stress Test running from 11 AM to 6 PM PST Monday, May 14, that's using the semi-updated Beta build from the last beta weekend, so you can hop onto your old characters and go Rip'n'tear through Tyria even more.

Slywyn

I never did make a Guardian.

Now I can see that needs to change.

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 11, 2012, 07:22:53 PM
Ah, but in Skyrim, can you do... this?

You could do that with your voice, yes...

Doesn't look like there's room for people not already in the beta to join in for this stress test. v.v
◕/◕'s

HairyHeretic

Anyone else trying the Secret World beta this weekend?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

EroticAlchemist

I noticed Warhammer Online was free to play and I've been wanting to play that just because the setting intrigues me. (Dark Elves seem really cool.)

But then I can't seem to make an account because my email address won't work. (Keeps saying it's already being used, which just makes me think "wtf"?)

Also GW2 will be a great time killer, assuredly. Human Necromancer in the making here.

SinXAzgard21

Looking forward to GW2 more and more.  I will not be touching Secret World as I was not impressed with a lot of what I saw, which is a let down from two years ago when it sounded amazing.  Never played EVE but I've heard very, very mixed reviews.

Vodka

Looks like GW2 is coming out August 28th.

Totally can't wait. After playing the last two BWEs, I'm beyond ready to ignore my family and friends for weeks at a time.
ON+OFF
IDEAS+ROLES

just let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair

Shjade

I'm not touching The Secret World because a gentleman does not do such things.

In public, at least.
◕/◕'s

Moraline

Quote from: Shjade on June 29, 2012, 10:44:21 AM
I'm not touching The Secret World because a gentleman does not do such things.

In public, at least.

Guess it's a good thing I'm not a gentlemen.  The Secret World for me!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: EroticAlchemist on June 22, 2012, 02:39:53 AM
I noticed Warhammer Online was free to play and I've been wanting to play that just because the setting intrigues me. (Dark Elves seem really cool.)

Only tier 1 I think, up to .. level 10 or 15 or so.

And yes, the setting is very good, even if they did take some liberties with the fluff in justifying the backstory of WAR.

Quote from: EroticAlchemist on June 22, 2012, 02:39:53 AM
But then I can't seem to make an account because my email address won't work. (Keeps saying it's already being used, which just makes me think "wtf"?)

Maybe you signed up for it previously and have forgotten about it? Try signing in with that address and using the forgot password thingy.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kate

hey if you guys try Secret world and its any good,

love to hear others feedback on it

HairyHeretic

I played the beta for a little bit. What would you like to know?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Moraline

Quote from: Kate on June 29, 2012, 09:33:09 PM
hey if you guys try Secret world and its any good,

love to hear others feedback on it

My personal experience with it: 

Love the concept,

graphics are great for an MMO, however some animations need more tweaking,

the character creator is very disappointing if you played Funcom's other big MMO Age of Conan (the Secret World - character creator is very limiting in comparison.)  I simply can't make a character I"m happy with and the fact that all female models are built like big breasted, uber tall amazon women is slightly disturbing.

I think if your just playing a game to run cool dungeons and read up on fun quests, it's a great game.

If your looking for a lot of role play style socializing, your going to find it limiting.

I had a free access pass for launch and I've put it aside. Maybe I'll give it another try in a few months.

Kate

QuoteI simply can't make a character I"m happy with and the fact that all female models are built like big breasted, uber tall amazon women is slightly disturbing.

What Developers should know is they can treat female forms in a way that GUYS wants and GIRLS wants BOTH win.

Lithe, thin "starved model looks", petite / small looks, cute looks etc, if they existed

a) Suit some people's voices ! making the world more believable. Not ALL females need to be ones you want to sleep with, ones that are "oh thanks for healing me !" and mysterious are ALSO cool. Some weird chick that can move in and out of mirrors or whatever => Why not ?

b) If they LOVE big breasted women, The more VARIATION there exists the more others are "WOWED" when they DO find / see them. Women playing them want to be like that => happy to choose armour / clothing to highlight the fact.

In short more personalisation => More women playing => Guys happier / Girls happier  = everyone wins.

SinXAzgard21

I'll just wait for guild wars 2 next month.

Saerrael

I anyone playing TERA online? I'm curious about it.

RubySlippers

Just a heads up since Perfect World took over the Cryptic games Champions and Star Trek Online both are getting updated.

Star Trek Online is adding more fleet options including starbases for them and later new ships attached to the fleets these might be cosmetic or actually be new ships. Not sure.

But for a game with microtransactions and overall free on both counts they are worth considering as basic f2p games.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Saerra on July 13, 2012, 07:44:25 PM
I anyone playing TERA online? I'm curious about it.

Ever play Lineage 2? Same quest log, same exp and item farming grind, MUCH prettier graphics, and a combat system that focuses more on control and mobility than it does outright DPS.

It's pretty and has a good combat system, but otherwise it feels like a throwback to MMO circa 2003/4