News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Yup, old game that no one likes without Nostalgia Glasses on being released for the umpteenth time, and would be bought anyway even if there wasn't graphical updates. One game on the N64 has probably made more money then some companies make on entire franchises, and all because people are too happy to buy it 10 fucking times.

No thanks, I'll just take my generic yearly Call of Duty game...

Wyrd

Quote from: Sabby on May 26, 2011, 11:11:24 PM
Zelda is a rerelease of a game that gets by solely on the Nintendo fanbase, which is mostly like a Jack Russel with a maggoty bone. It doesn't care that that bone isn't as good as it used to be, it will stay in denial and violently defend it no matter what.

Seriously, I've never seen a fan base as ravenous and retarded as Nintendo .__. theres being a dedicated fan, and then theres being a fanboy, and then theres being a loyalist with shrapnel lodged in your brain, and THEN theres being a Nintendo fanboy.
^This
Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 27, 2011, 12:17:35 AM
Yup, old game that no one likes without Nostalgia Glasses on being released for the umpteenth time, and would be bought anyway even if there wasn't graphical updates. One game on the N64 has probably made more money then some companies make on entire franchises, and all because people are too happy to buy it 10 fucking times.

No thanks, I'll just take my generic yearly Call of Duty game...

Oh, Just drag me away already...I need some Sabby loving. :p

Sabby

I'm in a bad mood today, so have even less tolerance for shit like Zelda then I normally would.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 27, 2011, 12:43:28 AM
I'm in a bad mood today, so have even less tolerance for shit like Zelda then I normally would.

Aww...anything I can do to help?

Sabby

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on May 26, 2011, 06:05:31 PM
You forgot Duke Nukem Forever and Zelda OOT 3D.
I was too young and un-rebellious to ever get into Duke Nukem. Also, I don't have a 3DS and I'm not going to get it because there's no guarantee it'll work on my 20/200 prescription eyes. No other 3D works.

Plus Majora's Mask is a better Zelda game than Ocarina of Time.

*Flees*

EDIT: *returns to put this here* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110451-ESRB-Reveals-Possible-Zelda-MMO
What a bad move. That's right. Let's take a game about the heroic exploits of one young man who will never, ever  get laid and make it about everyone. What could possibly go wrong?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2011, 02:41:24 PM
I was too young and un-rebellious to ever get into Duke Nukem. Also, I don't have a 3DS and I'm not going to get it because there's no guarantee it'll work on my 20/200 prescription eyes. No other 3D works.

Plus Majora's Mask is a better Zelda game than Ocarina of Time.

*Flees*

EDIT: *returns to put this here* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110451-ESRB-Reveals-Possible-Zelda-MMO
What a bad move. That's right. Let's take a game about the heroic exploits of one young man who will never, ever  get laid and make it about everyone. What could possibly go wrong?

I dunno, it could possibly work.

The only problem is that they would have to put it on the Wii or Wii2.

:/

Oniya

One word:  Tingle. 

Oh wait - that's already wrong.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on May 27, 2011, 03:47:21 PM
One word:  Tingle. 

Oh wait - that's already wrong.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle

Oh Oniya....

which is funny, since you live in Japan, if I remember correctly. O-o

Hemingway

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

NNOOOOOO!!! * Swallows cyanide* 
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on May 27, 2011, 03:48:34 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle

Oh Oniya....

which is funny, since you live in Japan, if I remember correctly. O-o
I think having to pay Tingle and obscene amount of rupees in Wind Waker did not help his popularity.

Also, another dubious move by the 3DS apparently.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110444-Anti-DRM-Group-Sends-Nintendo-200-Bricks
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

So...they are mad about not being able to do something illegal.

Why not just send a bunch of bricks to police stations too?

Hemingway

The Witcher 2 is promising, but damn, they didn't hold back on the difficulty.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 27, 2011, 06:29:20 PM
The Witcher 2 is promising, but damn, they didn't hold back on the difficulty.
From what I've read once you get past the prologue chapter(s) it actually gets easier.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2011, 03:06:37 PM
From what I've read once you get past the prologue chapter(s) it actually gets easier.

I've only just started chapter 1, but so far that's at least mostly true. I do like that shield-bearing enemies are actually tough, but ... damn! Without potions and magic, the witcher would barely be better than these guys. Which is the point. So it's good!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 28, 2011, 03:17:15 PM
I've only just started chapter 1, but so far that's at least mostly true. I do like that shield-bearing enemies are actually tough, but ... damn! Without potions and magic, the witcher would barely be better than these guys. Which is the point. So it's good!
Witcher's are supposed to be faster, stronger, and tougher than your average human, potions are usually for unfair numbers. Down some Blizzard and chop 'em up.

Still, I can only cross my fingers for an Xbox 360 version.

Sabby

Ya know what I miss? Games with unique worlds. I'm not talking fantasy, where everything is just a dressed up version of elves and mages, I mean real uniqueness. I'd say Morrowind, but that ones not totally out of the woods... more like anything by Oddworld, and Xeno Clash. Ya never see games these days with lore, environments and design that you haven't already seen at least twice in the last year.

Classic Game Room HD - ZENO CLASH: ULTIMATE EDITION for Xbox 360 review

Seriously, look at that, man :/ I'll eat up majority of the generic yearly crap they serve up (I'm pretty easy to please mostly) but sometimes I want something like that.

Guna grab Outcast once my new laptop gets fixed. Sounds exactly what I need.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2011, 03:22:06 PM
Witcher's are supposed to be faster, stronger, and tougher than your average human, potions are usually for unfair numbers. Down some Blizzard and chop 'em up.

Still, I can only cross my fingers for an Xbox 360 version.

Definitely - and they are. But they're not like jedi knights who can take on entire armies on their own. Enemies come in a few different flavors, but one-on-one none of them are especially tough unless you mess up. In groups, however, the ones with shields can be a nightmare. I find the best way to do it is kill the light ones first, then use signs to stun the shield-bearing enemies and kill them, then kill the hard-hitting enemies without shields. That goes for the guard-type humans encountered in the prologue, anyway.

Also, drinking Cat potions turns the world black-and-white, lets you see in darkness, makes you listen to your own heartbeat for five minutes .. and lets you see enemies' circulatory system. I can't remember if it did all of that in the first game, but it's awesome either way.

I'm loving the game so far. I just ... I'm going to play some L. A. Noire now. Which is also cool.

Quote from: Sabby on May 28, 2011, 03:23:04 PM
Ya know what I miss? Games with unique worlds. I'm not talking fantasy, where everything is just a dressed up version of elves and mages, I mean real uniqueness. I'd say Morrowind, but that ones not totally out of the woods... more like anything by Oddworld, and Xeno Clash. Ya never see games these days with lore, environments and design that you haven't already seen at least twice in the last year.

You're dangerously close to confusing "unique" with "zany" there, I'm just saying. Having mushrooms for houses and giant insects for transportation in a land of volcanoes and gray people ( Morrowind being the one I'm most familiar with ) isn't necessarily more original than anything else. Anyone could take a generic high fantasy setting and substitute "DRAGONS" with "MUSHROOMS WITH BEAKS AND TENTACLES", but that wouldn't really make it any more creative, you know?

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on May 28, 2011, 03:44:00 PM
So nothing is creative! lol!
Creative comes more from the twist on the norm than from the weird.

Fallout 3 is an example. D.C. Okay.
D.C. that looks like it never emerged from the 50s but has lasers and robots. Better.
D.C. with all that retro-futurism that's been nuked and looks more like a WWI battlefield than a capital. Unique setting!

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2011, 03:53:48 PM
Creative comes more from the twist on the norm than from the weird.

Fallout 3 is an example. D.C. Okay.
D.C. that looks like it never emerged from the 50s but has lasers and robots. Better.
D.C. with all that retro-futurism that's been nuked and looks more like a WWI battlefield than a capital. Unique setting!

Oooh, ooh! Now do New Vegas!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on May 28, 2011, 04:12:23 PM
Oooh, ooh! Now do New Vegas!
Um... Okie-dokie.

Greater Las Vegas area. OK.
Add in some retro-futurism and reduce the majority of it to a hostile desert. Better.
The have a over-extended want-to-be democracy and some psudo-roman legion, and a mysterious powerful, enigmatic figure all duke it out for control of the area. Unique setting!
Then you get ambushed by a random amount of cazadors/giant radscorpions/deathclaws. F***!