News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

GOP drinking the 'No such thing as Rape' Kool Aid

Started by Callie Del Noire, August 20, 2012, 06:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lux12

You know, I always thought misogyny was part of the GOP platform.I'm not sure what I find more disturbing.The fact that they aren't more honest about what they think instead of trying to dress it up in a more ""favorable" package" or the fact that they try to pass it off as something desirable to begin with and ignore the data that contradicts their claims.

Stattick

Lately, the GOP has been very good at ignoring data, science, and academics. All of us suffer for their cultish reverence of ignorance. Their ignoring evidence that contradicts their position is par for the course, as is their hiring partisan think tanks to manufacture false evidence that supports the GOP position. They have this idea that anything that contradicts their Bible based view of the world is automagically false, and so they don't have a problem of massaging evidence or research to create evidence of their own.  Or maybe they believe that all evidence is equal. So if the academics produce five papers showing that homosexuality is a product of biology, then the partisans just have to produce five false papers (that have no scientific legitimacy or peer review) that says that homosexuality is a product of perversion or mental illness to combat it.

Me, I think that there's a strong misogynistic vein that runs through the GOP. That doesn't mean that all Republicans are misogynistic, or even that all elected Republicans are, but that it's there and tolerated by the leadership. I think that part of it is due to the fundamentalism that's taken root like a metastasized cancer in the party. I think that part of it is social inertia from the Bad Old Days, and that's the whole idea behind conservatism, is the resistance to change. I think that part of it is just plain ignorance because of anti-intellectualism. I think that part of it is an idealization of the 1950's which they view as being the epitome of American culture, and that I call the Bad Old Days. (Seriously - racism, sexism, segregation, lynchings, Cold War, McCarthyism, a facade of normalcy and propriety over a boiling society about to explode in a rage too long suppressed is their idea of the perfect America? It was the bullshit of the 50's that caused American society to shred itself into a bloody mess during the 60's and 70's.)

I think that once the current wave of misogyny starts to be rejected by the party, then this streaming bile of rape apology will get shut down. We sent them a message. But as long as they refuse to sign for the package, we need to keep sending them the same message, that their misogyny WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. We only have two years before it's time to get out there and vote for Congress critters again, and we need to keep the pressure on the Republicans until they either die off as a political power in our nation, or they purge themselves of the cancer they're infected with.

Quote from: Trieste on November 10, 2012, 12:08:55 AM
I knew I could count on Oniya.

From the same site Stattick linked above: Republicans, it's time to confront your rape problem.

Thanks for posting that link. I liked it.
O/O   A/A

ofDelusions

Quote from: Stattick on November 10, 2012, 02:54:32 AM
They have this idea that anything that contradicts their Bible based view of the world is automagically false, and so they don't have a problem of massaging evidence or research to create evidence of their own. 

I don't know if that typo was intentional or not, but I have to say it made my day.

Trieste

Quote from: ofDelusions on November 10, 2012, 08:21:51 AM
I don't know if that typo was intentional or not, but I have to say it made my day.

Probably not a typo. It's in the dictionary!

Lux12

They build their platforms on smoke screens, misdirection, and deception. That's how they win any positions they do.They twist the facts to suit their own desires rather state the truth. Also, I think automagically has to be a fairly recent addition to the dictionary, but it really does describe their way of explaining and thinking so well.

Stattick

Quote from: ofDelusions on November 10, 2012, 08:21:51 AM

I think I first heard "automagically" from Trieste, but I'm not sure. It may have been on another site. At any rate, I like the word. It seemed especially apt in the context in which I was using it.

Also, glad you enjoyed it.
O/O   A/A

Oniya

I think it's less of a typo, and more of what Humpty Dumpty would call a 'portmanteau' word, like 'slithy' in Jabberwocky being a combination of 'lithe' and 'slimy'.  In this case, 'automatically' and 'magic' combine to make 'automagically' - something that happens without user input in a way that seems almost supernatural.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ofDelusions

oh it was a real word?  :-[

Eep, sorry not a native speaker here.

Oniya

It's new as far as words go.  Every year the English dictionary gets updated - 'blog' didn't used to be a 'real word' either.  Currently, blog doesn't trip my spell-checker, but automagically does.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 10, 2012, 03:47:40 PM
It's new as far as words go.  Every year the English dictionary gets updated - 'blog' didn't used to be a 'real word' either.  Currently, blog doesn't trip my spell-checker, but automagically does.
It's fascinating how much has changed in the English language. It both fascinates in terrifies me, but that is a matter for another thread.

TaintedAndDelish

While its tempting to assume that these Republican candidates are just ignorant, I think the truth is that they are just saying whatever bullshit they need to say to excite the religious folks and win their vote.

As for "automagically", that's one of my favorites. I don't care if its in the dictionary or not, it just automagically makes sense when you read it. :-)

Lux12

I'd be inclined to agree, however, I believe it's some ungodly and disturbing mixture of both. Such is the way of the politics though.

Stattick

It's interesting that in most races for the House of Representatives, the Democrats that won their seats had wide margins while the Republicans had slim margins. Most of the Democrats won with 60-80% of their district, while most Republicans squeaked by 50-55% of their district. Because of gerrymandering, the Republicans still took the House, and hold a majority there, but when you look at the popular vote for Reps, the election came down to a pretty close 50/50. The Republicans will probably still have gains in the House in two years, as the usual trend is for the opposition party to the president usually picks up seats two years after the presidential election, but we've entered into a time where the conventional wisdom in US politics isn't being adhered to. I'm curious to see if we buck the normal trend in two years. Probably just wishful thinking on my part though.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Sorta tangentially related to this topic, I ran across a story in Ireland. A woman who was 17 weeks pregnant was miscarrying, and went to the hospital. They confirmed that she was miscarrying, and that there was no way to save the baby. But they refused to give her an abortion because there was still a fetal heartbeat. Three days later, they finally removed the fetus after it's heart stopped beating. Four days later, while still admitted to the hospital, she died of septicemia, which probably wouldn't have happened if they hadn't denied her the abortion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

I wanted to bring this up because the Irish Supreme Court has ruled before that hospitals and doctors must perform abortions if they're necessary to save the life of the mother. The reality of the situation though, is that getting an abortion in Ireland is still almost impossible, under any circumstances. This is the cost in human lives of the so called Pro-Life movement. This is the reality that they're fighting to bring to the US, to make it nearly impossible for a woman to get an abortion under any circumstances, even if abortions are still technically legal under some circumstances.

There's been protests in the UK, and possibly even in Europe. I just wasn't sure how much attention this story was getting here in the US.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

There was a case in Brazil or Puerto Rico where a woman was denied vital chemo till her baby was killed by the cancer but by then it was too late for her.  I will try to find the article later.

Serephino

That's something I really don't get.  Pro-life people are saying they're saving a life.  However, in cases where the baby can't be saved, like the woman in Ireland or the one with cancer, they didn't save the life of the fetus.  Instead, they killed the mother.  Yep, they caused two deaths with one stupid decision.  How the hell is that pro-life?  As much as I am against abortion, if there is no way in hell the fetus will ever mature and be born, yet there is a chance the mother can be saved, it's a no-brainer.  Save the mother.  She has a life and probably a family that doesn't need to be put through that crap. 

Lux12

I just find it Ironic that a number of these so called "pro-life" groups support so many measures that actually cause death or make life more difficult.

Callie Del Noire

Lux12

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 16, 2012, 10:24:47 PM
I'm sorry.. it was NEITHER Brazil or Puerto Rico.. it was the Dominican Republic..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179413/Pregnant-16-year-old-cancer-banned-having-chemo-Dominican-Republic.html

Women die in the streets of Iran everyday because they can't get legal abortions too.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lux12 on November 17, 2012, 06:20:33 PM
Women die in the streets of Iran everyday because they can't get legal abortions too.

Women did in the streets of Iran for being suspected of adultry.. or pushing things with the authorities.

Lux12

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 17, 2012, 06:23:29 PM
Women did in the streets of Iran for being suspected of adultry.. or pushing things with the authorities.

Indeed.It sickens me that in this day and age that we still have places on this planet where women are treated so poorly.It is a shame when a man has forgotten the importance of his mother.

Pumpkin Seeds

If only those were the worst things suffered by women.

Lux12

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on November 18, 2012, 08:53:59 AM
If only those were the worst things suffered by women.
Indeed.The horrors I have heard and read of sound like the worst of human nightmares made a reality.

Stattick

New web site tracks how many days it's been since the GOP's mentioned rape. It got reset to zero after Rep. Phil Gingrey, an ob-gyn and chairman of the GOP Doctors Caucus (just the thought of that organization existing gives me shutters), went and defended Todd Akin at a breakfast held by the Cobb Chamber of Commerce.

Oh, I think they'll have to reset it back to zero though. Paul Ryan just sponsored a bill that amongst a whole cavalcade of wrongness, contains the gem that would allow a rapist to sue his victim to prevent her from having an abortion. And here I was thinking that the little shit stain was serious in wanting to run for president... Seriously, how can you possibly be looking at a presidential run, and sponsor a bill like that? Oh wait, I think the answer's coming to me. Could it be... stupidity?
O/O   A/A