Operating Systems

Started by Jag, April 03, 2009, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

My husband gets the urge once a year to screw up his PC. This year he is wanting to install a new OS on his system. He's wanting something that he can manipulate and play around with.

Operating Systems he doesn't want:

Windows (any, he's played with them all)
and
Linux.

He wants a free OS that he can try and know people's reviews of. Any advice would be of good service. Thanks.

~Michi
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Trieste

... logical choice is ubuntu. It's pretty well supposed to be the wave of the future. Or, according to some, the wave of the now.

Jag

He's been attempting that all day. He downloaded it from the Ubuntu site and saved it the way it said to and everytime he actually tries to install it, it gives him error messages.

So right now he is taking out his extra hard drives and trying to install it on just the primary one.

Bliss

If he's having trouble even getting a full install, look up a thing called Knoppix - it's a very simple Linux OS that can be run off a boot CD, so that might help him at least get onto the machine and get started figuring out what's going on.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Trieste

He could always partition the drive(s) and try to mess it up in more ways than one.

Jag

He would like to try Knoppix, but he would rather see what it looks like first.

He's still having issues installing Ubuntu. It keeps giving him 3 repeated error messages. He's following the process and it's not working. Any guesses as to why?

Bliss

Well, what are the errors he's getting, and at what point(s) in the process?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Jag

Well, they look like error messages.

Now they just roll up the screen and also show information like:
Starting Network
Installing Drivers

Then it goes back to the error message looking lines.

So it looks like it is installing...we think.

Jag

Bliss

Huzzah! *breaks out the Bawls and vodka*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Jag

*can't have alcohol or highly caffeinated drinks*

>.>

*drinks juice*

Trieste

Jag

I type in google: Ubuntu Installation Screens 8.1 and this is what came up:

I don't think that is one of the installation screens, other wise my S/O would just keep reinstalling it. >.<

Vekseid

He doesn't want Linux but Ubuntu is okay?

Elliquiy runs Debian Lenny, which I rather like.

Jag

Quote from: Vekseid on April 03, 2009, 07:15:15 PM
He doesn't want Linux but Ubuntu is okay?

Elliquiy runs Debian Lenny, which I rather like.

Well, he doesn't want Linux Sabayon anymore.

He has nothing against Linux, just doesn't like that one apparently.

Trieste

I've been wanting to try out Ubuntu and get to know it ...

But I don't want to interfere with my work or my schooling, and I do things on both the PC and the laptop that aren't really compatible with Ubuntu. So I feel like I'm kinda stuck until I can afford a third computer or something.

Bliss

I'm running Ubuntu on my home laptop which I inexplicably cannot find and have really been quite happy with it.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

*Is only computer fluent so deals with Windows* I've actually got Vista down to an art form I can pretty much cajole it to everything I need to. Plus I like The Witcher.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jag

Okay...it's installed, but we need the driver for a USB network adapter.

It's a Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter N10117...I can't find a driver for ubuntu for it...can anyone help with that?

Vekseid

Quote from: Michi No Sora on April 03, 2009, 08:11:08 PM
Okay...it's installed, but we need the driver for a USB network adapter.

It's a Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter N10117...I can't find a driver for ubuntu for it...can anyone help with that?

It is more than likely rebranded, so you want to find the original manufacturer.

You can usually get a hint of this inside the .inf files for windows installations. IE, my D-Link adapter is actually manufactured by Ralink.

Jag

He got it eventually. ^_^