Discworld [Tentative Interest Check] <closed>

Started by Blythe, January 08, 2018, 04:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

I know that this is a pretty short post, but I've always wanted to run some sort of Discworld-themed group RP. It wouldn't be based around sexual content though people could decide to include that if they wanted. Something set in the wonderful sprawl of Ankh-Morpork seems like it would be super cool. I have no idea how many other fans of this series are on the boards, so I figured a very tentative interest check couldn't hurt.

The game would be freeform. Probably in the Light section. I wouldn't have a posting length requirement for the game, but I'd probably want people to post at least once every two weeks so I could keep my interest. I'd be interested in something where the players are all playing OCs; I could play canon characters like Lord Vetinari or Sam Vimes as needed (unless anyone happened to be interested in playing canon characters that are known to be present in Ankh-Morpork).

I'm not sure what books I'd treat as canon or how far in the series we'd set the game; I'd probably wait to see what books of the series people have read and therefore all have in common before figuring that out, but I'm pretty much all caught up on the series, save for one or two novels.

Mostly with this what I'd be wanting is a light-hearted comedic game, though it could have its serious moments depending on the characters. :)

For those unaware, I'm referring to the Discworld series of books written by Sir Terry Pratchett.

If there's enough general interest, I can do a bit of world building over the next week and make a real recruitment thread. But no worries if there's not enough people interested; I'm aware this might be sort of a niche request. ^^;

marauder13

As a long, long time fan of his, consider me very interested for an OC.

I have all of his books in the series, so whatever you want to consider canon is fine by me.

mia h

I think the easiest set up would be something revolving around the City Watch.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

ashesandcinder

I would be quite interested in this though I would prefer playing a canon character such as Vimes or possibly Carrot.
--------------

Once I can find the time to create a proper graphic, this place shall be filled with favorites of mine. Until then, feel free to assume that I am boring ;)

Blythe

For those interested, could you mention what sort of character you'd most want to play if I were to run this--either OC or canon? Mia mentioned the City Watch, and ashesandcinder's mentioned wanting to play a canon like Vimes or Carrot. This would help give me some direction when it comes to making a decision about what type of Discworld game to run. :)

Remiel

Hrm.  Good question.  I think a City Watch group rp would be a lot of fun.  I'd be half-tempted to create a wizard, but that would pretty much consist of my character sitting around and eating big dinners.

I would recommend against playing established characters, however (unless the GM does it, and only then to set events in motion).  I think original characters would be a lot more fun as a rag-tag group of low-ranking Constables blundering around the city and solving crimes by accident.

ashesandcinder

In that case, I'm afraid I'll have to bow out. I much, much, much prefer canon characters (if slightly altered to fit the mood of the game and/ or my interests) and write/play them almost exclusively in each and every 'verse I dabble in.
--------------

Once I can find the time to create a proper graphic, this place shall be filled with favorites of mine. Until then, feel free to assume that I am boring ;)

mia h

The reason I suggested the Watch was because it seems to be the broadest church, you've trolls, golems, vapmires, Igors etc. so anybody can be anything in the Watch. As for OC v cannon, there's room for both but I think it depends on the cannon characters that people want to play. So the likes Sam Vimes, Lord Dog-botherer, CMOT Dibbler and the Librarian should be NPC's but more minor characters wouldn't be so much of a problem.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

ashesandcinder

I'm a little surprised by the way taking on canon characters (or certain specified canon characters) gets to be so categorically denied by people who are also only just declaring an interest (rather than the person who originally suggested the RP and will be running it). If I wanted to write a canon character, and a major one at that, how is that request/opinion/wish less valid than that of someone wanting to write an original character? And here, you don't see me going around stating such things as 'All characters should be canon' or 'everyone must at least have one canon character before they can even pick up an original one'. Shouldn't all suggestions be voiced in such a manner that they actually sound like suggestions rather than decisions? (at least Remiel seems to have edited their post to reflect such a difference in tone now, that I can see) Either way, I'm out but I wish this game all the luck if/ when it takes off.
--------------

Remiel

It was just my recommendation.  It's Blythe's game, and I will defer to his judgment.

Lustful Bride

I haven't actually read the books but I did see Hogfather and that old animated series from long ago that they made.

I am currently preparing for my next semester at college, but once things settle down I might join in. :)

Remiel

Quote from: mia h on January 14, 2018, 05:27:52 AM
The reason I suggested the Watch was because it seems to be the broadest church, you've trolls, golems, vapmires, Igors etc. so anybody can be anything in the Watch. As for OC v cannon, there's room for both but I think it depends on the cannon characters that people want to play. So the likes Sam Vimes, Lord Dog-botherer, CMOT Dibbler and the Librarian should be NPC's but more minor characters wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I would agree with this.

Blythe

I appreciate the interest from everyone, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to pull this together how I'd like, though I thank everyone for their interest/suggestions. If I do decide to run a proper freeform game, I think next time I'll try to have a more well-defined idea & better write-up beforehand.

All the best, everyone, but consider this closed for now.