News:

Main Menu

The Mac App Store

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 13, 2011, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Well those of us who own a Mac who have updated in the last two weeks have noticed the addition of the App store to the OS.

I'm curious as to what folks who have looked at it think of it. Most of the stuff is 'meh' but every now and then you find a nugget or two.

I found Delicious Library 2 for the Mac. In 1 hour I managed to inventory over 150 books, 20 gadgets, 100+ dvds and games by showing the barcode to my webcam. It's got all sorts of thigns like an 'upload' to online site so you can use it to inventory and keep an archive to safeguard yourself from theft, a 'loaned out' function so you can drop a book in your library to a contact so you know who has which book.

Feel free to put out comments.. keep the Mac ect hate to a minimum. It looks a LOT like a wider ranging version of the Steam store for those of you who haven't got a Mac.

Callie Del Noire

well that tells me how many mac users there are online. :D LOL.

I am curious to see if Microsoft does it. It would be a definite perk I think for any OS to do it.

Fae Brin

-shrug-

When it first came out, I went a little crazy and installed a bunch. I think I've maybe kept-- two?

I don't really find it particularly useful, to be honest.
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Dizzi

I don;t have snow leopard, I didn't upgrade, however, I have to say this about the mac App store; it is a single point of failure for cracking apps.  A cydia store is in the works, meaning that installous is in the works meaning, well... free apps SUPER easily.

I love my mac, but Apple is really totalitarian for me.  Apple is (seemingly) trying to make it so that people do not go out and search for good apps, but only use the ones that they allow. 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Dizzi on January 26, 2011, 09:06:20 PM
I don;t have snow leopard, I didn't upgrade, however, I have to say this about the mac App store; it is a single point of failure for cracking apps.  A cydia store is in the works, meaning that installous is in the works meaning, well... free apps SUPER easily.

I love my mac, but Apple is really totalitarian for me.  Apple is (seemingly) trying to make it so that people do not go out and search for good apps, but only use the ones that they allow.

You can still get apps elsewhere. I do. It just makes it easier to find and update them. I still have parrallels and other apps that aren't part of the store