'Show New Replies To Your Posts' Feature

Started by Oreo, November 13, 2009, 06:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

If possible I would like to see an option in the 'Show new replies to you posts', to selectively delete specific items in the list. I don't necessarily want them to stop coming forever, but a little check box like on gmail or the PMs, where I can delete the ones I am not interested in at the moment. Right now it's all or nothing. Then there are some I really would like to have not show up there any more at all, ever.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Oreo on November 13, 2009, 06:15:15 AM
If possible I would like to see an option in the 'Show new replies to you posts', to selectively delete specific items in the list. I don't necessarily want them to stop coming forever, but a little check box like on gmail, where I can delete the ones I am not interested in at the moment. Right now it's all or nothing. Then there are some I really would like to have not show up there any more at all, ever.

Perhaps an option to initially select the thread and latter reverse that selection manually, rather than have the thread automatically become selected when the user posts.  I've seen "subscription" lists where the user can subscribe to a thread.  The thread goes on the update list as soon as someone posts behind the user and stays until the user clicks the link to that post.  That way, even if ten posts may have gone up, the subscriber is taken to the first post after theirs eliminating the need to scroll back. 

Will

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 13, 2009, 07:54:37 AM
Perhaps an option to initially select the thread and latter reverse that selection manually, rather than have the thread automatically become selected when the user posts.  I've seen "subscription" lists where the user can subscribe to a thread.  The thread goes on the update list as soon as someone posts behind the user and stays until the user clicks the link to that post.  That way, even if ten posts may have gone up, the subscriber is taken to the first post after theirs eliminating the need to scroll back. 

I may very well be misunderstanding you, but if you click the little <--icon on a thread, it will take you to the first post after yours, instead of the most recent post.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Will1984 on November 13, 2009, 08:25:00 AM
I may very well be misunderstanding you, but if you click the little <--icon on a thread, it will take you to the first post after yours, instead of the most recent post.

You're still required to search for the thread yourself.  Subscriptions put that thread on a list you create.  The request is for an Updated Topics option that the user can maintain by adding manually rather than automatically and removing threads manually or a separate subscription list that the user can opt into and out of.

Will

I'm still not really following.  Don't your bookmarks allow you to "select the thread and then later reverse that selection manually?"  Perhaps you mean that you don't want topics to even show up on the list unless there are new posts?  I could understand the desire for that, considering how many threads some people might have bookmarked.

- Jack Kerouac

Caeli

She's referring to "Show new replies to your posts", not Bookmarks.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Will

I'm aware of that, but it seems a little redundant to make it into something so similar to bookmarks. 

- Jack Kerouac

Caeli

Well, I know that I wouldn't want to bookmark all of the threads that I've ever posted in, but there would be certain ones that I wouldn't mind 'watching,' as it were. Their function seems slightly different (thought it may be a personal difference), in that Bookmarks all contain topics that I have a long-term interest in. I never bookmark transient topics that will die down after the discussion has concluded.

And, I'd like for those socializing threads and games to stop showing up in my "new replies to your posts" section. :P Forever. I don't think there's much of a use to be unselect it from the list, and then select it later, but I definitely second (well, third/fourth/fifth, since the suggestion has been brought up before) being able to choose not to have it show up in that link, ever.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Will

So... bookmark them?  The only issue I can see is that it gets a little crazy having so many threads marked, but the sub-sections you suggested would solve that just fine, I think.

- Jack Kerouac

Caeli

In my opinion, bookmarking every last thread I've ever posted in defeats the purpose of having bookmarks in the first place, if the "show new replies" feature were to be fixed.

I just feel that both features have different purposes. I'm sure that some people flood their bookmarks with several dozen threads, but I like to use it more for keeping track of my 'top threads', not everything.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Will

I fail to see why you would have to bookmark every thread you've ever posted in.

- Jack Kerouac

Caeli

That's what the "show new replies to your posts" would functionally do, once they were 'fixed' - it would be a good place to 'watch' threads that I don't wish to bookmark. There are a lot of threads that I read from time to time, but they're not 'important' enough to throw into bookmarks, since most of my roleplays don't move half as fast as some of them.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oreo

Yes, it would be nice to have sub sections in the bookmarks. With new duties here, I find myself wishing there was a place I could organize those threads. I don't want them overflowing my RPs, but I would, on the other hand like them separated from the games.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Beguile's Mistress

I try to save my bookmarks for the stories I write and those of others that I follow.  I'll include a help thread now and then, my Os and As and the As of my writing partners.  It would be nice to be able to opt out of threads I've posted in for the "Show Replies" link.  Folders in the bookmarks thread would make me happy, too.  But then, that's me.  I want it all!  :)

Oreo

Though I am wondering how many people use the Show unread posts since your last visit? It would take me weeks to work through the 14 pages of stuff there everyday.

Beguile's Mistress

Occasionally I click the "Mark all messages as read" option at the top of the thread list and start collecting updated threads from scratch. 

Caeli

Quote from: Oreo on November 13, 2009, 10:53:34 PM
Though I am wondering how many people use the Show unread posts since your last visit? It would take me weeks to work through the 14 pages of stuff there everyday.

I would use it if I could opt out of threads. Right now, I don't use it at all, though.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Rhapsody

Quote from: Oreo on November 13, 2009, 10:40:08 PMYes, it would be nice to have sub sections in the bookmarks. With new duties here, I find myself wishing there was a place I could organize those threads. I don't want them overflowing my RPs, but I would, on the other hand like them separated from the games.

I've suggested this before for the bookmarks, mostly to separate threads I was watching from those I was actively participating in, but was told that I should utilize the "watch topic" to be alerted to new posts via email, and have my own threads on Bookmarks. 
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Josietta

I use the "show new replies to your posts" every day. The only time I use my bookmarks it to double check what stories I need to reply to and to bookmark things like the Fiber Arts thread or a story I'm reading. If I need to clear it out due to my massive "games" that I used to play more frequently I just hit the "mark all read" option and then go to my bookmarks to select my unreplied posts for stories.  However, I'm guessing my method wouldn't work for those who use many many more "useful" threads like the help threads and introductions and such. I wouldn't be against being able to remove old threads that I no longer use but for now what I do with it, works for me.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Trieste

Quote from: Oreo on November 13, 2009, 10:53:34 PM

... *raises hand* When I have time, I peel through it by section. First I click on things like games and adult socializing and mark them read. Then I go back through the list and look for staff boards and stuff... then I peel through looking at story titles and authors, or anything in Elliquiy U that might be interesting, etc.

When I don't have time, though, it gets up to like 52 pages at a time. *frown*

Jag

I use it on a daily basis. If I don't check it 2-3 times a day then it gets up to a large number of pages. Though when it does do that I just shrug and click read to all of them without reading. >.> I'm lazy like that.

I would like to be able to take some threads off of there once in a while and keep them from showing up either forever or just for a while.

Edit: Though I never get up to 52 pages unless I don't check it for like a week.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oreo

Quote from: Will1984 on November 13, 2009, 03:14:38 PM
I'm aware of that, but it seems a little redundant to make it into something so similar to bookmarks. 

Bookmarks are completely different that the Show new replies to you posts. They keep track of when I posted and who needs an answer. To explain the Show new replies; some days I am not so busy and look at almost everything. Other days there is a lot of stuff I just need to skip. It would be nice to have a little delete check box next to each item so I could run down the list and delete all the stuff I don't have time for. Leaving me a list of everything I 'do' want to look at.

Will

I agree, Oreo.  That's not really what I was talking about.

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 13, 2009, 07:54:37 AM

That is what I was talking about, and it sounds -exactly- like bookmarks to me.

- Jack Kerouac

Cecilia

It's a little different than bookmarks, though, Will.  When I bookmark a thread, it means I want to see it whether or not I've ever posted in it.  Like stories others are writing that I'm watching.  Yes, I do sometimes follow other people's stories or discussions without being part of them!

When I hit "Show New Replies to My Posts" I get several replies that I don't need to read every time, but also several threads I do want to read.  I used to post in "What are you drinking" a lot.  But haven't for a while, and don't always want to look at it.  I'd love to just click a button to say hide that one, thanks.  I could then click on the threads I don't feel like reading at the moment and tend to the ones I do.  I look at the new replies thread several times a day to continue various conversations.

Will

I'm not talking about "Show new replies" as it is right now.  I use it and bookmarks both; they serve different purposes for me as well.  I'm talking about the specific suggestion to make it opt-in/out independent of whether or not one has posted in a thread.

The suggestion amounts to making "Show new replies" into a list where threads are added and removed manually, rather than being automatically added when they are posted in.  I fail to see how this is any different from bookmarks. 

Once again, I am not talking about "Show new replies" as it is currently.

- Jack Kerouac