Vampire: The Masquerade *game in creation*

Started by Aragem, January 10, 2009, 08:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Character stats for approval.  To make things easier, I kept a record of Freebie expenditures.

John Sifridus Lederer
a.k.a. John the Gangrel

Nature: Survivor
Demeanor: Varies (Autist, Confidant)
Sire: A Walkyrige (doesn’t know her name)
Generation: 11th
Haven: Small one bedroom in the suburbs; his car
Humanity: 5, Willpower: 8, Blood Pool: 12

Attributes
Physical: Strength – 3, Dexterity – 4 (Reflexes), Stamina – 3
Social: Charisma: 3, Manipulation – 1, Appearance – 2
Mental: Perception – 3, Intelligence – 3, Wits – 2

Abilities
Talents: Alertness - 3, Brawl – 4 (Tooth & Claw)
Skills: Animal Ken – 2, Drive – 1, Firearms – 3, Melee – 3, Security – 2, Stealth – 3, Survival – 2
Knowledges: Computer – 1, Investigation – 2, Linguistics – 2 (English, German, Navaho)
Secondary: Camarilla Lore – 2, Lupine Lore - 1

Disciplines
Animalism – 1, Fortitude – 3, Protean – 3, Obfuscate 1

Virtues
Conscience – 2, Self-Control – 4, Courage – 5

Backgrounds
Allies – 2, Generation – 2, Resources – 3, Retainers – 1, Status – 2 (Ancilla), Influence – 2

Merits/Flaws (4M / 7F)
Eat Food/Enjoy Sex (1M), Eidetic Memory (2M), Gift of Proteus (1M), Hunted (4F), Phobia (Reptiles, 2F), Prey Exclusion (Students, 1F)

Freebie Usage (50 + 3 F = 53)
Abilities: Security 2, Stealth 2, Survival 2, Alertness 2, Brawl 2 (10 total)
- Camarilla Lore 2, Lupine Lore 1 (3 total)
Disciplines: Fotitude 14, Protean 7, Obfuscate 7 (28 total)
Virtues: Conscience 2 (2 total)
Backgrounds: Resources 2, Status 2, Influence 2, Retainers 1 (7 total)
Willpower: 3

Expanded Background
Allies: Martin Runningdog (Gangrel neonate biologist, John’s childe), Raphael732 (online religious nut)
Resources: Bank accounts under a few names ($50,000 in assets, $3,000/month)
Retainers: a single Ghoul
Influence: Mostly among San Antonio’s higher education and religious communities

Appearance: (To be cleaned up)
-   brown hair, hazel eyes, caucasian, Germanic, 5’10”, 130-140 lbs, male

Background: (To be expanded)
-   DoB: 5.10.1877, R.I.P. 5.30.1898

Gear/Equipment
2 Beretta 92s, 2 H&K USPs, several knives, knapsack, notebooks, some books (history, religion), 4 extra magazines per firearm, Ithaca shotgun, conceal-carry permits in ten states, licenses for the aforementioned firearms, S&W Model 57 (.41 revolver; no license), 12 silver hollowpoint .41 rounds; usual house, car, and other such things
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

RubySlippers

Aragem

PLEASE bear in mind that this is my FIRST Vampire Masquerade Character Sheet!  So please be gentle in criticism.

Margery Kayla was once, Margerite Gibson, a proud rich lady whose husband ran a monopoly of lumber mills after the American Civil War.  What most didn't know was that Margery was the one who ran  the business and balanced the books while her husband enjoyed the life of a rich man with drinking, gambling, and loose women.  Margery took shortcuts, she used inmate for labor instead of paying men, and took advantage of the destitution of the South, despite the fact that she had been born and raised there and left to wed her husband. 

A strange man who came to do business with her husband soon saw that Margery was the one who ran the business with a iron fist and was impressed with her sense of business and pride, he rewarded her with an Embrace.  Margery's first taste of vitae had been her husband's . . . .

For 100 years, Margery had risen in power and money.  She is the silent partner of her sire's corporation and has a rather notorious reputation for her ruthlessness and cutthroat methods.    She isn't powerful enough claim any political position, however she makes sure to make herself of value to the local council by acquiring links to the the police department and expanding her influence throughout the city. 

Margery is a constantly has her ear to the ground for any latest  news concerning the Camarilla and how it could help advance her own ambitions.

Personality:

Margery is in control, likes being in control, and will make sure that people know that she is in control.  When she isn't in the position of power, she finds out who it is and gets close to them in order to raise her further status if possible. 

Though like any Ventrue, she prefers to have others do her own dirty work, but if it came down to loosing what she wants  or going out and taking care of it herself, she'll replace her high heels for workboots and set out. 

Merits/Flaws:

Intolerance:  Margery intolerants anything that prevents her from attaining her ambitions. 

Prestigious Sire:  Her sire is well known for dealing a crushing blow to a Sabbat upstart during the American Civil War, shortly before Embracing Margery

Boon:  Margery helped an Elder hide a secret that would otherwise mar his reputation in the Camarilla.   

Vandren

The Status bit could be a problem, Aragem.  Status 5 = Prince (which won't happen with 13th gen), since it represents status within vampiric society, rather than mortal society.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Aragem

Cool, I'll reduce it to one.  Gives me more points to place elsewhere.   ;D

Vandren

:)  That's a pretty common misconception, I think I made it myself early on.

Aragem

Yeah, I finally found the core book 3rd edition of Vampire Masquerade and it has helped losts, but its a lot to retain and impliment.  It's fun adjusting the points.

RubySlippers

Might I suggest for a young Kindred like yourself drop Status (Camarilla) which is what it would be now to 1, take 1 Dot in Status (Ventrue) so the clan thinks your at least acceptable and you really do need to get Resources up right now you have no money and frankly that will not do for any Ventrue you should at least have Resources 4 to be presentable or at least own a Nightclub (2 Point merit) its unlikely your SIre would not have seen you had some way to survive even if you are lazy at being a Ventrue.

See the Ventrue have the best money machine in Kindred Society in the Camarilla and likely anywhere just to buy influence among mortals and flex that power. Even if you sat there as a Librarian in an archive they would take care of you and see your vested in the Clan with money that is easy. Even if you were not formally close to the clan in the city its unlikely you would not have some economic asset that is at least presentable.

You could drop Police Ties for Influence 2 that would free up 1 point and you can get a few by adding another flaw or so. One that might fit is Compulsion (ambitious), Compulsion (superior about blood ties - you are just preening about who your Sire was all the time), Intolerance (non-Camarilla kindred) and others to play up her bitchy nature. Just suggestions but with your clan at least try to get a Nightclub it can grow up as an asset making you more money as well during the game.
;D

Aragem

Thanks.  I'll make the corrections and repost the CS sheets in the morning.  Need my beauty sleep  ;D

Beowulff

Ok sorry I have not posted in awhile I have been very busy. So for that please accept my apologies. Now on to my character. I am going to play a malkavian possible ancile. If you need a primogin and a ancile would work I would like to do that. If not then I will make a elder. I don't have much for a concept yet, just some ideas for the characters storyline and how I will play him. You know with the narcisim I plan on taking it might be fun to play him as the prince (only of course if the ST accepts it). Give me a little time to find some spare time and I will post a concept and character sheet, though I would like to know which I will be playing (ancile/elder   primogin/prince) but once I find this out I will get a concept and character sheet posted.
As a after thought this board is getting big when will we have a game board?
O yeah sorry about the spelling but that is a ability I apparently do not have. :)
Break the chains and constraints "normal" society has placed on our souls. Show them what a gamer really is. Let them know how far from satin you are.
To gamer Freedom :)

playfullchick76

Im definately very interested in playing in this one. I followed the tv series, kindred the embraced,the masquerade. I could be a newly embraced torador, agaisnt my will by a fugitive toreador. He was found and punished accordingly, but i was spared and allowed to live.

As for who i was before, i could have been part of an arms smuggling crew. and was taken one night in an alley after celebrating a big sale, so id be tech savvy, good with weapons, and still have contacts. I would be about 23 to 25 years old.

If theres room for me, and if you want me in, im happy to play this out with you.

Aragem

Anyone who is interested in playing, but have never played a table top RPG game like this, I suggest finding the Vampire Masquerade 3rd Edition core book and giving that a quick glance.  That book has REALLY helped me out in creating my character, though I still got to make adjustments

Also it explains the rules of the game.  Its definately not like freeform and this will be my first game that isn't freeform, but after giving the 3rd edition a read through, I feel more comfortable about it, though I may make mistakes. 

Also, there are websites online, though old, that can help out too.

Vandren

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 18, 2009, 12:11:10 AM
Might I suggest for a young Kindred like yourself drop Status (Camarilla) which is what it would be now to 1, take 1 Dot in Status (Ventrue) so the clan thinks your at least acceptable and you really do need to get Resources up right now you have no money and frankly that will not do for any Ventrue you should at least have Resources 4 to be presentable

Actually, Resources isn't 100% necessary for Ventrue.  In fact, the Ventrue clanbook only has four concepts with Resources 3+, five with 2, one with 1 (Union Boss).  Not every Ventrue can be wealthy . . . take the Union Boss concept, a Union Boss with Resources 4+ is going to be investigated by the FBI really quickly.  A union boss with resources 1-3, not so much.  :)

RubySlippers

I didn't say high but the character had none, so really was a begger hardly something that is good. And the character is over one hundred fifty years old its unlikely she would have nothing. But I can get the rugged individualist concept its not bad for a Ventrue to keep their own assets and funds apart from the clan.

I would simply suggest and did in a PM they take resources to maybe a respectable 3 dots or take the Nightclub Merit (2 pts.) to have some money and the like. Influence may be more important just don't tell the Elders about your full connects you do not want to step on other Ventrue domains, at least obviously.
;)

With the character a up and coming bitchy Ventrue I would think appearances though would be important so no money would be bad.

I just was making an observation thats all.

Aragem

Taking a look at the Core book under resources.

1 Dot:  Small Savings:  A small apartment or maybe a motorcyle.   If liqudated $1,000 dollars in cash with $500 dollars a month in allowance

2 Dots:  MIddle Class:  An apartment or condominium; if liqudated you'll have $8,000; $1,200 a month

3 Dots:  Large Savings: A homeowner or someone with equaity.  If liquadated you'll have $50,000; with $3,000 a month

4 Dots:  Well off:  Member of the upperclass with a very large house or dilipidated mansion.  If liquadated you'll have $500,000 with $9,000 a month

5 Dots:  Millionaire:  Whereever your character wants to live.  If liquadated, you'll have $5,000,000 in cash and a allowance of $300,000 a month.

So at the least, I'll want my Ventrue to have 2 or 3 dots.

RubySlippers

I sent a suggested by me default spread for your Backgrounds it should cover a newer Kindred without much of a problem, keeping it simple. You can build on that easily.

In the game if you do favors for your clan Elders be sure to use the boons to your advantage, like getting stock portfolios and their aid in establishing that is the nice thing about Ventrue. The Elders at least see value in getting a youngster set-up so it helps the clan as a whole later on, abuse that.
;D

Vandren

I've made one minor modification to John, as I've considered how to revise his background to fit this game.  With ST approval, I've changed hi third language from Navaho to Mandarin.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: playfullchick76 on January 18, 2009, 06:51:39 AM
Im definately very interested in playing in this one. I followed the tv series, kindred the embraced,the masquerade. I could be a newly embraced torador, agaisnt my will by a fugitive toreador. He was found and punished accordingly, but i was spared and allowed to live.

As for who i was before, i could have been part of an arms smuggling crew. and was taken one night in an alley after celebrating a big sale, so id be tech savvy, good with weapons, and still have contacts. I would be about 23 to 25 years old.

If theres room for me, and if you want me in, im happy to play this out with you.

Your more then welcome hun,  the more the better.  So welcome, and if you need help.  Their are a lot of helpful people.  :)

Quote from: Vandren on January 18, 2009, 04:26:26 PM
I've made one minor modification to John, as I've considered how to revise his background to fit this game.  With ST approval, I've changed hi third language from Navaho to Mandarin.

No problem  :)

Aragem

I'm almost finished redoing Margery's CS.  Made some changes that'll fit better with the story. 

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Aragem on January 18, 2009, 05:09:58 PM
I'm almost finished redoing Margery's CS.  Made some changes that'll fit better with the story. 

Looking forward :) 

Aragem

OKay, this is Margery's sheet redone.  I hope it works out for our Storyteller.

Margery Kayla was once, Margerite Gibson, a proud rich lady whose husband ran a monopoly of lumber mills after the American Civil War.  What most didn't know was that Margery was the one who ran  the business and balanced the books while her husband enjoyed the life of a rich man with drinking, gambling, and loose women.  Margery took shortcuts, she used inmate for labor instead of paying men, and took advantage of the destitution of the South, despite the fact that she had been born and raised there and left to wed her husband. 

A strange man who came to do business with her husband soon saw that Margery was the one who ran the business with a iron fist and was impressed with her sense of business and pride, he rewarded her with an Embrace.  Margery's first taste of vitae had been her husband's . . . .

For 100 years, Margery had risen in power and money.   10 years back, she left her sire's side to make her own way.  She has done well for herself by opening a popular nightclub, Twighlight's Kiss, which provides a large percentage of her income and nightly vitae. 

Margery is often frustrated with her age.  Though she is 100 years old, she is still too young to claim elder status, and is considered part of the neonate's level.  However, though she is years away from any hope of attaining a spot on any Camarilla council, she does keep herself involved with politics and the comings and goings of the higher ups.   

Margery is a constantly has her ear to the ground for any latest  news concerning the Camarilla and how it could help advance her own ambitions.

Personality:

Margery is in control, likes being in control, and will make sure that people know that she is in control.  When she isn't in the position of power, she finds out who it is and gets close to them in order to raise her further status if possible. 

Though like any Ventrue, she prefers to have others do her own dirty work, but if it came down to loosing what she wants  or going out and taking care of it herself, she'll replace her high heels for workboots and set out. 

Merits/Flaws:

Intolerance:  Margery intolerants anything that prevents her from attaining her ambitions. 

Vandren

Quick theoretical question (considering a Tremere Primogen, possibly in the future): is the Age Background allowable for elders?  War of Ages p. 67.  And would Blood Magic be a valid book for use?

Ok, two questions.  Sue me (I got nothin' anyway, I'm an adjunct, read dept. slave).  :)

Oh, and a suggestion.  It'll take a bit more bookkeeping (which I can volunteer to do), but it works well: different Influences - ex. University, Bureaucracy, Religious - rather than a blanket Background: Influence.  So, for instance, John would have "Influence: University - 2" while someone else might have "Influence: Industry - 2 and Influence: University -1"  With, say, a maximum of 10 points available to the whole city in each area.

Aragem

Here is my question,

are all the characters already going to know of each other? 

Or are they going to meet within the game?

Paladin

Ok I have played a bit of OWOD. I'd have to dig out my book. I think Its up in the attic. That all depends on one thing. Are you guys accepting players, and if so are Assimites a Legal choice to play?

Vandren

I'll risk Asherah's displeasure and jump in on this one.

I think we're accepting (I don't think anyone's set a limit on number of players), but we're focusing on Camarilla characters for the time being.  Possibly with room to expand into the Non-aligned clans/bloodlines and Sabbat later.