News:

Main Menu

Dominate vs Dominant

Started by Artairus Dent, November 21, 2012, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Quote from: Naiah on November 22, 2012, 06:59:24 PM
But what if it was an honest missed mistake!?  :-[

If someone does it once, hey, mistakes happen. If it's in the title that's worse, but still an honest mistake.

Generally speaking, when someone spells it dominate once, it's spelled that way every time it comes up in their thread. That's not "just a mistake" anymore.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Moraline

Quote from: Madmartigan on November 22, 2012, 07:45:09 PM
Every time I see it, I picture a dalek in fetish gear. Then at least I get a chuckle.  ;)

I couldn't resist it.
That was soo funny.   ;D

Nadir

Quote from: Moraline on November 22, 2012, 07:22:44 PM

• Dyslexia  (Varies wildly in degrees of severity)
  • English not first language (For some it's very difficult to type in English - Not everyone is so advanced. Some even use translators that mess up all the time.
  • Not everyone knows how to change a subject title (on Many forums it's not possible so they don't even think to look here.)
  • Simple human error (...because I can pick through most of the posts in this topic and find mistakes in them.)
  • Not everyone is as well educated as some others. They maybe remarkably creative people but still make little mistakes because they don't have the education to make up for it. (A word like Dominate doesn't get picked up by spell checkers)

I'm sure many others could come up with things to add to this list.

I don't judge people harshly on simple mistakes. I choose to educate them and assist when necessary. Most of the time I simply overlook it and try to look at the people as a whole while accepting it might have been a single mistake.

This subject just feels harsh to me. People make mistakes. Why the need to pick on them for it?

*EDIT*  PS: I'm dyslexic so this topic often infuriates me on a personal level.

I'm dyslexic too, so sever my teachers believed for my whole academic life I had half the intelligence I actually have, and I do try to keep myself from misusing a word that is subtly different. Actually, because I'm dyslexic, I hold a very high bar for my writing partners. If I have trained myself to be aware of words that look the same but are not, and be vigilant about using the correct one, why can't someone who is not dyslexic have the same respect for their reader/partner? Reading is a difficult enough task for me (I spent five minutes trying to read a book today only to realise I was holding it upside-down >_>) and mistakes like this are not making it any easier.

I am hyper aware of spelling, but I don't demand perfection. I make mistakes, and often. Everyone does. I just think using dyslexia as a defence against something like this is a disservice to those with dyslexia. There are techniques to catch them and it's simple enough to correct them. That being said, I have no idea how "its" and "it's" are different and their correct use, and no matter how many times I research it, I misuse them time and again. *eyetwitch*

Naiah

Quote from: Shjade on November 22, 2012, 08:02:23 PM
If someone does it once, hey, mistakes happen. If it's in the title that's worse, but still an honest mistake.

Generally speaking, when someone spells it dominate once, it's spelled that way every time it comes up in their thread. That's not "just a mistake" anymore.

Agreed, but just reading that one title, how will you know its the first time or not?

Endorphin

You don't know unless you research that user's past writing. It really depends on how conscientious that person is with their titles and how tolerant and diligent you're prepared to be in finding whether that is an anomaly or their usual writing 'pattern'.

Quote from: Dim Hon on November 22, 2012, 08:16:04 PM
That being said, I have no idea how "its" and "it's" are different and their correct use, and no matter how many times I research it, I misuse them time and again. *eyetwitch*

I don't mean to downplay things, but maybe this definition will help: 'it's' is a contraction of 'it is'. Simple as that. You should be able to substitute one for the other without confusing your meaning.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Torch

Quote from: Naiah on November 22, 2012, 08:20:51 PM
Agreed, but just reading that one title, how will you know its the first time or not?

If the thread has been bumped or added to, it isn't the first time and a mistake in the title is inexcusable, IMO.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Endorphin

Torch, remind me not to mess with you. :P

You are absolutely right, though. That kind of thing stands out like the proverbial 'dog's balls' and really should be corrected.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Naiah

Quote from: Torch on November 22, 2012, 08:26:30 PM
If the thread has been bumped or added to, it isn't the first time and a mistake in the title is inexcusable, IMO.

Inexcusable? Yikes, glad I dont have any request threads..

Nadir

Quote from: Endorphin on November 22, 2012, 08:25:45 PM
I don't mean to downplay things, but maybe this definition will help: 'it's' is a contraction of 'it is'. Simple as that. You should be able to substitute one for the other without confusing your meaning.

*grins* Thank you

Moraline

Quote from: Dim Hon on November 22, 2012, 08:16:04 PM
I'm dyslexic too, so sever my teachers believed for my whole academic life I had half the intelligence I actually have, and I do try to keep myself from misusing a word that is subtly different. Actually, because I'm dyslexic, I hold a very high bar for my writing partners. If I have trained myself to be aware of words that look the same but are not, and be vigilant about using the correct one, why can't someone who is not dyslexic have the same respect for their reader/partner? Reading is a difficult enough task for me (I spent five minutes trying to read a book today only to realise I was holding it upside-down >_>) and mistakes like this are not making it any easier.

I am hyper aware of spelling, but I don't demand perfection. I make mistakes, and often. Everyone does. I just think using dyslexia as a defence against something like this is a disservice to those with dyslexia. There are techniques to catch them and it's simple enough to correct them. That being said, I have no idea how "its" and "it's" are different and their correct use, and no matter how many times I research it, I misuse them time and again. *eyetwitch*

It's not a disservice.

Dyslexics, people with other learning challenges, people that lack education... they all have an enormous variety of differences between them. Just because you can catch your mistake doesn't mean that others can do the same. Dyslexia like all of these things runs a wide range of challenges for people from those that barely notice they have it to those that can't read/write no matter what methods they are taught.

We simply are not all born equal. It upsets me that someone would blow off another person because they made a simply mistake/misuse of a word. By doing that then people might miss a chance to make a great friend and/or an excellent writing partner.

*edit* simply = simple  <--- A mistake that I didn't see after several proof reads but one I caught after posting. It happens.

Endorphin

Quote from: Naiah on November 22, 2012, 08:30:00 PM
Inexcusable? Yikes, glad I dont have any request threads..

Naiah, it almost sounds like you want to have the opportunity/scope to make those errors. :P

Perhaps the best strategy is to approach things thinking: 'I may not be perfect, but I'll correct any errors I notice and check things I'm unsure about'. That way - even if you aren't a spelling and grammar genius - at least you'll produce the best material you're capable of and nobody can fault you on being lazy. The rest, well, you can learn and adapt along the way.

Naiah

Quote from: Moraline on November 22, 2012, 08:40:12 PM
By doing that then people might miss a chance to make a great friend and/or an excellent writing partner.

The bitch in me disagrees with that and says "Their loss". Honestly I do my best and if that isn't good enough, they can bite me :P

Quote from: Endorphin on November 22, 2012, 08:41:48 PM
Naiah, it almost sounds like you want to have the opportunity/scope to make those errors. :P

Perhaps the best strategy is to approach things thinking: 'I may not be perfect, but I'll correct any errors I notice and check things I'm unsure about'. That way - even if you aren't a spelling and grammar genius - at least you'll produce the best material you're capable of and nobody can fault you on being lazy. The rest, well, you can learn and adapt along the way.

Uh no, as just said, I do my best to check, but I am human and things get missed. It isn't even really always about knowing how to spell, I f.ex. have a HORRIBLE time with tenses and I would drive a grammar nazi up the wall with my posts. Doesn't mean my posts suck, just means I need to find partners who can look past that and instead focus on what I wrote and not how I wrote it. *Shrugs* If you are going to pass me by because of how I fail with writing, then bye :P

kylie

Quote from: Madmartigan on November 22, 2012, 07:45:09 PM
I feel your pain, AD. This misuse is bound to turn up anywhere there's a BDSM discussion.

Every time I see it, I picture a dalek in fetish gear. Then at least I get a chuckle.  ;)

Reaches curiously for Google Images: A d-what?  Oh.  Now that is kinda funny.

Personally, I really can't stand it.  It feels like there's a whole sub-subculture of people running around (including within the US, in native English) firmly believing "dominate" should be used as some kind of magical in-group adjective form.  What icks me more is when some of them insist they are soooo into BDSM and know everything important about "the way" to do it some way or other. 

This may be simply an offshoot of an excess of self-congratulation about D/s interest, which can itself get pretty obnoxiously snotty...  Well, whatever.  It still turns me way off.  I can handle grammar eccentricities and a degree of misspellings if a person can write a story.  This particular pattern, though, just nags me to no end.  Urggh!

Trieste

I have played with a number of great writers who are poor spellers. It does happen. But a request thread is supposed to be someone's best foot forward. So if it looks something like...

Subject: Dominate male for incest fun
Body: I have a craving to play a daddy who see's his lil girl suddenly as a grown women who has a body and he has needs. PM me or post here!!!

... it makes me think we are not going to match well. I have pet peeves like the rest of the population, and I really just have to acknowledge that proper spelling and grammar help me get into the story. If I have to stop four times a post to try to figure out what they meant, that's just not going to work for me. Period.

Even more so if they are asking for a Domme. Then I start thinking in terms of, "Is this person worth my time?" because honestly, if you're going to make an RP ad that focuses on your own qualities rather than those of a character, I'm going to then judge you on your own qualities.

gaggedLouise

It's even a noun; the later Roman empire is sometimes known as the (epoch of the) Dominate among historians. The emperor had clearly become all-powerful (Augustus and some other early emperors tried to play down that side of the situation) and was sometimes seen as divine himself, so he was just the Dominus et Deus (Lord and God). Having said that I feel a bit itched by it too, just as with the infamous nucular. But I'll give some leeway if an RP partner makes some minor spelling and grammar errors but is strongly into the game and a delight to be with.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

mrsjaz

So then... maybe the right thing to do is to help correct those common spelling and grammar mistakes. I think whether its laziness or not, we could perhaps list all of them as we come across them on site or in RL, then it’s permanently somewhere for people to reference.

It’s like someone else above said, if we look at the spelling in this thread, quite a few come up ( and I am far from great at spelling or grammar) so it should not be about embarrassing anyone. Reading and writing is about learning as well as fun, and those not caring about how they write will still find writing partners.

But I think I have already seen something like this somewhere on E.  :-X 

*starts looking*     
"... And she looked at me with big brown eyes and said, you ain't seen nothin yet."
My ONs & OFFs
Oath of Drake
A/As and  My Status
My Stories/Ideas

Beguile's Mistress

I make mistakes that I don't catch even after proofreading three or four times.  I also have a very easy time reading the writing of others which is odd because I work as a proofreader but I can skim over a badly written post and get the sense of it yet I'll catch the typos in a printed text that paid money for and get quite irritated.

Honest mistakes are something we all are prone to and catching our own mistakes is difficult.  Correcting the mistakes of other writers can be a problem, too, unless great care is taken in the wording of it.

Let me put it this way, a post riddled with poor spelling and grammar, capitalization and punctuations errors and sentence structure that is fragmented all take away from the sense of the story.  Each time you have to stop and think even for a fraction of a second takes you farther away from the story itself.  The shotgun approach to punctuation does it to me.  Commas, hyphens and ellipses have their place and should be used with caution because they all signify a stopping point and when you write good prose you don't want people to stop and think for any reason.  You want them to read and feel.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on November 24, 2012, 03:48:36 AM
I have played with a number of great writers who are poor spellers. It does happen. But a request thread is supposed to be someone's best foot forward. So if it looks something like...

Subject: Dominate male for incest fun
Body: I have a craving to play a daddy who see's his lil girl suddenly as a grown women who has a body and he has needs. PM me or post here!!!

Now, see, if I saw something that said 'Dominate male for incest fun', I would assume that the requester was looking for someone to dominate [a] male for incest fun.  And on that note, I'm going to go help my uUncle jJack off a horse.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

I guess I have been trained out of that assumption! :)

Gadifriald

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 24, 2012, 09:32:36 AM
Each time you have to stop and think even for a fraction of a second takes you farther away from the story itself.  The shotgun approach to punctuation does it to me.  Commas, hyphens and ellipses have their place and should be used with caution because they all signify a stopping point and when you write good prose you don't want people to stop and think for any reason.  You want them to read and feel.
*goes looking for stars to hand out* ;D
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on November 24, 2012, 10:08:58 AM
And on that note, I'm going to go help my uUncle jJack off a horse.

*recalls the time when she first got to hear Jumpin' Jack Flash and wondered who that guy Jack Flash could be and where he was jumping from...*  ;) (no, English isn't this girl's mother tongue)
t

Trieste

Wait, that song isn't about a guy named Jack Flash who happens to be jumping? ???

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Trieste on November 24, 2012, 01:44:50 PM
Wait, that song isn't about a guy named Jack Flash who happens to be jumping? ???

Got it, Trie!  :D

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on November 24, 2012, 01:44:50 PM

Richards explained to Rolling Stone in 2010: "The lyrics came from a gray dawn at Redlands. Mick and I had been up all night, it was raining outside, and there was the sound of these boots near the window, belonging to my gardener, Jack Dyer. It woke Mick up. He said, 'What's that?' I said, 'Oh, that's Jack. That's jumping Jack.' I started to work around the phrase on the guitar, which was in open tuning, singing the phrase 'Jumping Jack.' Mick said, 'Flash,' and suddenly we had this phrase with a great rhythm and ring to it." ( http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOJumpin.html )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Thanks, Oniya - well I read somewhere, many years back, that before it became a song title, JJF was an idiom. And it would have meant roughly "jack-in-the-box, somebody who comes around when you least expect him" - can't find much reference to that at a quick look online though. To anyone born after 1968, Mick is the guy who defines what the phrase is about.