New World of Warcraft cinematic for Panderia

Started by Chris Brady, August 16, 2012, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Here's the Panderia opening movie:

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer

I've more or less given up on WoW.  And sadly this didn't inspire me at all, wish it did...  What do you guys think?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sel Nar

Silverfyre

Man, the trailer for "Kung Fu Panda 3: Fantasy Island" look awesome!

Chris Brady

Thanks Silver, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks and calls the new expansion Kung Fu Panda 3.

Sel, I'm sorry, but you are exceedingly biased towards Guild Wars, so it's hard to see anything you say on this topic as anything other than a jab at Blizzard.  No offense, and GW2 is shaping up to be AWESOME (I do have the CE on pre-order for a reason, after all.)  For the record, I probably won't be touching WoW on the 28th either.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Silverfyre

Well, WoW had the whole Kung Fu Panda bit going on long before the movie came out but that's just what it looks like, stylistically.  I lost interest in WoW about two years ago and there is little that would make me come back.  But, to each their own, and to those who seem to like it... all the best to you.

Also, Sel linked an article about it rather than just expressing an opinion.  I don't see how being biased towards GW2 has anything to do with WoW...?  Aside from the launch date and the patch, etc, etc.

Chris Brady

Whenever someone talks about WoW, he always comes up with a Guild Wars based statement.  And he's stated, several times, both here and IRC what he thinks of Blizzard and World of Warcraft, which is less than polite. :p

As for the article, it's actually standard fair.  When Cataclysm came out, WoW had a month long 'preview' building up to the most lackluster swath of mediocre destruction.  Although the cinematic was pretty impressive.  More so than this one.   So having KFP3 coming out on the 25th of September, means that about the 27-29, Blizz would get some sort of event happening.  It's more than likely coincidence.  GW2 doesn't scare Blizzard in the least.  The moment it starts pulling 14 million subscribers, then Blizz will take note, but until then, not even a blip on the Blizzdar.

Moraline

I actually quit WoW before The LK was launched but I came back a couple months before Cata so I could run through it all. I enjoyed myself - although I still didn't enjoy it like I did back in Vanilla and early on in BC.

I like Cata though. I thought it was a nice refreshing change. I liked the new zones, the changes to the world. I think all games should have big updates like this and change the landscape and story every few years.

Pandaria on the other hand. .. Well, it represents everything I've grown to dislike about WoW. Cartoony, slapstick humor, archaic graphics, and level grinding. Oh and lets not forget the endless carrot on a stick gear/raid running. I enjoy it a bit.. but not enough to play the game. I quit again a couple months after Cata because I had done it all and seen it all and wasn't interested in waiting for the next big patch and another of the same old carrot on a stick gear run dungeon/raid add on patches.

Don't get me wrong. I think WoW is an amazing game and in it's day, nothing could touch it. It's still the epitome of high volume content and active maintenance. Just to me personally it's beyond it's best before date. It needs to retire and make room for the new generation.

Of course, I'm also one of those crazy people that loved Age of Conan and think that GW2 is nothing to be excited about it. I look forward to playing it, but at most to me it's (GW2) just another over done and tired genre game that is past it's prime.

I want the gritty savage reality of a world of barbarians like the world of Age of Conan. I only wish someone would do it right and not mess it all up like the current company did. Not to mention, I really really desperately want graphics quality and style that doesn't come out with bobble head munchkins (I'm looking at you GW2. *waggles my finger*)

Anyways... Mists of Pandaria = a pass for me.

((btw, I'm not one of those ones that hates WoW because it's to casual. I like casual play. I'm just bored of the style and setting.))

Aiden

I have been wanting to play a panderan since wc3, off course I am going to play this!

It doesn't hurt that I have not paid for wow in over three years (hook ups ftw)

I was going to try guildwars, but I didn't play the first, not gonna bother with the second.

Already reserved my panda's name. Pandabeer!

SinXAzgard21

Glad I no longer play this game.  I'll be picking up GW 2 on the 28th.  I do think blizzard is a bunch of douche bags for releasing this on the same day GW 2 is going to come out.  Of course it will sell more, it is made for 5 year old children to to play now.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 16, 2012, 05:39:43 PM
Glad I no longer play this game.  I'll be picking up GW 2 on the 28th.  I do think blizzard is a bunch of douche bags for releasing this on the same day GW 2 is going to come out.  Of course it will sell more, it is made for 5 year old children to to play now.
Like I said, it probably never entered their mind that this is coinciding with ArenaNet's launch date.  They've always had events occurring about one month before the release or a new expansion.  They just don't see GW2 as all that important, and why not?  They may be losing record number of subs, but they still have millions more than any other MMO to date.

I agree with the douchebag comment, though, especially since all that's left in the WoW Dev team are Horde lovers (not there's anything wrong with Horde, but they just don't care about any other faction or race.  Either it's 'FOR THE HORDE', or nothing.)

Aiden

Even if the devs prefer the horde, it is the alliance who gets all the awesome lore.

Silverfyre

I highly doubt a company that is as prolific and competitive (market wise) as Blizzard simply didn't know or react to GW2's launch date.  I have a few friends who work for Blizz that are basically saying it was definitely intentional.  It's all about money and marketing and that's what they are doing to try and keep their player base happy with new content and what not. 

And really, the whole "GW2 is going to fix the MMO world and be the best game evar!11" mentality is exercised when anyone talks about any game besides GW2 these days. I get that shit all the time with SW:TOR.  It's ridiculous to say the least.  Comparing GW2 to other games is like comparing orcs to crossbred gnome/goblin babies.  It is going to probably be a wonderful game but it is not the be all, end all. 

Samael

I wish I was still playing WoW.
And I also wish the Blizzard CGI department would just go ahead and do the WOW movie, because the Hollywood one is in development hell since forever (and Raimi is off of it).
Love that trailer.

Time to check for the soundtrack though, because it seems to be another great one (seriously, Blizzard has amazing Music and CGI in their games always).
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

TheGlyphstone

It's got everything I expect from Blizzard...exaggerated and cartoony graphics, good music, a bit of slapstick humor, and a heavy focus on the new 'Big Shiny Thing' of the expansion in question (and anyone who says LOL Blizz ripped off Kung Fu Panda needs to be thwacked with a bamboo staff :D). I want to like this game, I want to like it so much, primarily because SWTOR has lost its luster for me. But I don't know if I can...it's nothing amazingly new, just all of the same things that gradually lost their luster.

I'll probably re-up my subscription for a month or two anyways to see the new zones - one thing Blizzard has never failed to deliver on is their art department, they do a great job for the antiquated graphics engine being used.

Revelation

definitely my second favorite cinematic of the WoW lot. It was everything I expected more or less, though quite well done and humorous without being overly silly. The action once the Pandaren came in very much reminded me of Jackie Chan films however. Not that such is bad!

ofDelusions

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 16, 2012, 05:49:20 PM
Like I said, it probably never entered their mind that this is coinciding with ArenaNet's launch date.  They've always had events occurring about one month before the release or a new expansion.  They just don't see GW2 as all that important, and why not?  They may be losing record number of subs, but they still have millions more than any other MMO to date.

Uhmm, Blizzard has a reputation for timing. their big patches and expansion around release dates by competitors. So this most likely isn't a coincidence. Especially as Blizzard lost another 1 million subs lately.

Anyway, I found the cinematic lackluster. Which is a shame, because one thing Blizzard have been good at has been cinematics. Has been. Hell, all the TBC and WOTLK era patch trailers were fucking amazing and made me want to play. Cata patch cinematics have been really disappointing.

Theta Sigma

I enjoyed the cinematic and I am looking forward to Pandaria, mostly for a change of scenery. Whilst I don't love WoW as much as I used to and I havent pre-ordered the expansion yet, I'll get it eventually. I'd rather wait, to be honest, too many people trying to do the same quests at once just isn't fun to play through or experience.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: GallifreyanGriff on August 17, 2012, 07:58:06 AM
I enjoyed the cinematic and I am looking forward to Pandaria, mostly for a change of scenery. Whilst I don't love WoW as much as I used to and I havent pre-ordered the expansion yet, I'll get it eventually. I'd rather wait, to be honest, too many people trying to do the same quests at once just isn't fun to play through or experience.

I"m not going to go rushing into the Pandarian realm.. I have seen the 'fun' of doing the same thing with 90 gazzillion others in the beta. I'll go in a few weeks later.

Bloodied Porcelain

I've been beta testing MoP for a while now, as I beta test most of Blizzard's new games, and on more than just open weekends, and all I can say is that even if the beta testing I did didn't convince me that the game was pretty much singing it's swan song, that cinematic would have. I'm aware blizzard's Pandas were around long before the KFP franchise, but c'mon guys... you could at least try to make it original. The panda in the cinematic is basically Po from KFP in a hat. It feels almost exactly like his dream sequence scene at the beginning of the first movie... I felt like I was watching an alternate ending or something.

After Cata... all they could come up with to keep the franchise afloat was pandas? Seriously? I'm a pretty big Blizzard fan, and have had an active subscription to WoW for years... but MoP was the nail in the coffin for me. I've just called Blizzard's CS and found out how much longer I have to pay for my subscription to WoW before I get to keep my Diablo 3 for good. I've set the date in my phone so that I can be sure to cancel as soon as it comes.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 17, 2012, 03:10:11 PM
I've been beta testing MoP for a while now, as I beta test most of Blizzard's new games, and on more than just open weekends, and all I can say is that even if the beta testing I did didn't convince me that the game was pretty much singing it's swan song, that cinematic would have. I'm aware blizzard's Pandas were around long before the KFP franchise, but c'mon guys... you could at least try to make it original. The panda in the cinematic is basically Po from KFP in a hat. It feels almost exactly like his dream sequence scene at the beginning of the first movie... I felt like I was watching an alternate ending or something.

After Cata... all they could come up with to keep the franchise afloat was pandas? Seriously? I'm a pretty big Blizzard fan, and have had an active subscription to WoW for years... but MoP was the nail in the coffin for me. I've just called Blizzard's CS and found out how much longer I have to pay for my subscription to WoW before I get to keep my Diablo 3 for good. I've set the date in my phone so that I can be sure to cancel as soon as it comes.

They wanted to do something other 'war again'. That was the intent mention again and again at Blizzcom last year. I honestly think they've used this as a stall till they can find something EPIC for the next (and in my opinion LAST) expansion to WoW.

That being said, I am also feeling that things have gotten increasingly 'daisy cuttered' and I know I don't play as much as I used to. part of that is school and such, but another part is that compared to grinding in Vanilla to 60 (remember Hell Levels? 40 man raids? I do) or the feel of BC and the grind there..

Now? I look at my Paladin's console.. half my blessings are gone.. my button spread has shrunk so much it feels like an arcade game rather than the MMO I started on. Half the time.. my blessings are nerfed by other classes. It's annoying.

Chris Brady

I have absolutely nothing against furry characters, I know an excellent trio of artists who specialize in it, and I absolutely adored the Kung Fu Pand movie franchise.  Not to mention I love martial arts, hell, the reason I have a Nelf arms warrior as a main is because they hold their two handed blades in a cool samurai-esque pose.

But after Cataclysm my interest has dropped.  The story became lack luster, the alliance side quests were borked up, lore wise (the only way you can finish the Andorhal chain is by succeeding at all of them, and yet you lose anyway, and it doesn't even try to give a flimsy reason for it.  Not to mention what are the Alliance Leaders doing about it, nothing) the Alliance is floundering, dying and frankly I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that no one tells us why.  Instead we get Thrall's story.

And now we have the Panda's which...  Look, you (Blizzard) do know that there's a limited amount of space a world has right?  Why not look at the Nagrand night sky and see that you have at least three planets there to build on!  You could make a entire planet based on the Pantheon, like Uldaman, Ulduar and Uldum!  Instead we got...  A massive turtle with a country on it.  Which would be washed away if it decided to dive under the water.

Blech.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 17, 2012, 03:49:06 PM

They wanted to do something other 'war again'. That was the intent mention again and again at Blizzcom last year. I honestly think they've used this as a stall till they can find something EPIC for the next (and in my opinion LAST) expansion to WoW.

That being said, I am also feeling that things have gotten increasingly 'daisy cuttered' and I know I don't play as much as I used to. part of that is school and such, but another part is that compared to grinding in Vanilla to 60 (remember Hell Levels? 40 man raids? I do) or the feel of BC and the grind there..

Now? I look at my Paladin's console.. half my blessings are gone.. my button spread has shrunk so much it feels like an arcade game rather than the MMO I started on. Half the time.. my blessings are nerfed by other classes. It's annoying.

<--- *Warlock* How do you think I feel? =/
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Callie Del Noire

I wish they had explored more CoT.. I mean you had sooo many points in history to play with. Add in the Silthius factor that just got .. dropped. One moment the bugs are the return of an ancient evil that has to be stopped with ties to the elder gods..then blim.. nothing.

There are soooo many things you could have done with outlands. Found more fragments of Dranoer (sp?) in the Nether.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 17, 2012, 04:06:33 PM
I have absolutely nothing against furry characters, I know an excellent trio of artists who specialize in it, and I absolutely adored the Kung Fu Pand movie franchise.  Not to mention I love martial arts, hell, the reason I have a Nelf arms warrior as a main is because they hold their two handed blades in a cool samurai-esque pose.

But after Cataclysm my interest has dropped.  The story became lack luster, the alliance side quests were borked up, lore wise (the only way you can finish the Andorhal chain is by succeeding at all of them, and yet you lose anyway, and it doesn't even try to give a flimsy reason for it.  Not to mention what are the Alliance Leaders doing about it, nothing) the Alliance is floundering, dying and frankly I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that no one tells us why.  Instead we get Thrall's story.

And now we have the Panda's which...  Look, you (Blizzard) do know that there's a limited amount of space a world has right?  Why not look at the Nagrand night sky and see that you have at least three planets there to build on!  You could make a entire planet based on the Pantheon, like Uldaman, Ulduar and Uldum!  Instead we got...  A massive turtle with a country on it.  Which would be washed away if it decided to dive under the water.

Blech.

technically, the giant turtle is only the starting zone. Pandaria itself is a perfectly normal island.

Aiden

Chen came before Po, Just saying.

Also, I think that is Chen in the video.

TheGlyphstone

Chen would also kick Po's ass five ways to Sunday.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on August 17, 2012, 05:21:50 PM

Chen came before Po, Just saying.

Also, I think that is Chen in the video.

I liked Chen back in the day..he's definitely 'Pre-Po.' And I suspect that he might be the one in the video..which means he has dealt with both the Alliance and Horde in the past. And could be understandably reluctant about his people being pulled into the conflict.

TheGlyphstone

It's definitely Chen, there's an in-game achievement for going to the mountaintop depicted in the cutscene in-game and fixing the incense burner that got knocked over, and the achievement text mentions Chen.

BrokenShards

I haven't played WoW since firelands, and sadly mists doesn't look like drawing me back.

The Cinamatic just didn't "do" it for me.
Ready to write when someone requires.

Chris Brady

Actually, I think this is the FIRST Blizzard WoW movie in which actually had some humour in it.

And it's NOT a bad intro movie.  It's good, it's just not...  Great.  After 8 years, and five expansions, I kind of set my expectations rather high.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 17, 2012, 07:31:17 PM
Actually, I think this is the FIRST Blizzard WoW movie in which actually had some humour in it.

And it's NOT a bad intro movie.  It's good, it's just not...  Great.  After 8 years, and five expansions, I kind of set my expectations rather high.

I beg to differ... Unless their goal was to tell the world "our game has become a complete and utter joke and will primarily only appeal to ages 5-15 these days", it was a pretty awful intro movie. In my opinion, anyway. If you want to get me interested in a game... show me something I can at least take half-way seriously. Show me something that makes me go "omgwtf with bbq sauce I HAVE to figure out what's going on!". That intro... doesn't even come close. Again, in my opinion. Lets face it... the cartoony artwork? The nearly 10 year old graphics base? The increasingly simplistic abilities set up and boss fights? Sheer bad-ass factor was really all WoW had going for it anymore, and now they've pretty much shot that in the foot.

I mean really... how are you going to follow freaking Deathwing with pandas? I see the new expansion winning them little more than a couple months with their subscription count "up", then as soon as everyone hits cap, they'll drop like rats abandoning a sinking ship. Which is sad cause for what it was, I really liked WoW until recently =/

Callie Del Noire

Question is: who do you follow up after what is basically the Titan appointed avatar of thE Earth, deep places and The herald of the great old ones? He was for all intents a major god/ling that took the power of the other aspects to wound enough that a cadre of mortals could kill.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 17, 2012, 08:04:26 PM
Question is: who do you follow up after what is basically the Titan appointed avatar of thE Earth, deep places and The herald of the great old ones? He was for all intents a major god/ling that took the power of the other aspects to wound enough that a cadre of mortals could kill.

Oh I'm not saying it would be easy... If I were the one in control of their story lines, Deathwing would have pretty much been last expansion. That being said, however... Pandas falls dramatically short of all the things they could have done, don't you think?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 17, 2012, 08:09:59 PM
Oh I'm not saying it would be easy... If I were the one in control of their story lines, Deathwing would have pretty much been last expansion. That being said, however... Pandas falls dramatically short of all the things they could have done, don't you think?

Well you still got the Titans, the Great Old Ones..the bugs, the burning legion and more out there.

Revelation

...Can I just say despite everyone saying Pandas=KFP, I got a complete and total Jackie Chan vibe from Chen in that video? That was way less kung fu panda than it was Jackie Chan in his heyday. I'll also say that Warcraft has always had a slightly silly element to me, its done a good job at mixing the humor in with the seriousness as far as the warcraft setting goes. I mean, despite all the badass factor we have... Gnomes with nuclear fusion and chicken guns, with a healthy side order of references to everything under the sun from Legend of Zelda to Touhou. Even in the rather grim Lich king and Cataclysm expansions, WoW has always had its less serious elements. I just can't really wrap my head around how Panda people are bad, but blue space goats, crazy goblins, and cow people native american stereotypes get a pass.

QuoteActually, I think this is the FIRST Blizzard WoW movie in which actually had some humour in it.

Not true. Burning Crusade had humor with the warlock and murlocs, as well as the human mage polymorphing a tauren into a sheep - said sheep beginning to fall Looney Tunes style.

BrokenShards

I still remember when I first played waaaay back in Vanilla, the game seemed huge and left me with the feeling of being part of a community in a giant world. Loot was desirable and fairly unique, and pvp was less of a rush fest.

It could be my rose tinted glasses, but when I came back to Cata it all felt hollow, stats have got out of control, gear is so easy to get, the community-ness of servers has died, (Pug and cross realm raids anyone?).

I dunno, it all seems to have left me missing the past and not enjoying the present. Cata's extreme hand holding put me off for life really.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 17, 2012, 09:42:14 PM
I still remember when I first played waaaay back in Vanilla, the game seemed huge and left me with the feeling of being part of a community in a giant world. Loot was desirable and fairly unique, and pvp was less of a rush fest.

It could be my rose tinted glasses, but when I came back to Cata it all felt hollow, stats have got out of control, gear is so easy to get, the community-ness of servers has died, (Pug and cross realm raids anyone?).

I dunno, it all seems to have left me missing the past and not enjoying the present. Cata's extreme hand holding put me off for life really.

Actually for me it was the last few months.. the guild I'm in. CC.. just went on vacation. We were burned out. We did LFR to get the lower end guys up to spec.. and put up with the abuse of the Cross Realm soloers. The PUG guys are just as rude and annoying as ever.

BrokenShards

Yea in about 2 days my main and alt had both got full tier whatever-they-are-on.

And the amount of abuse you get as a healer on cross realm stuff is bordering on rage uninstalling.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 17, 2012, 09:50:22 PM
Yea in about 2 days my main and alt had both got full tier whatever-they-are-on.

And the amount of abuse you get as a healer on cross realm stuff is bordering on rage uninstalling.

I got two EXCELLENT healers I have to constantly convince they don't suck because they listened to PUG ragers.. there are nights I wish I could reach thorugh the monitors of my system and strangle the tools out there.

BrokenShards

I was a pala healer, the amount of times I was told I was good enough for ZG/ZA when I was main healer Firelands xD

Also being on an RP realm got me a lot of stick from randoms.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 17, 2012, 09:55:38 PM
I was a pala healer, the amount of times I was told I was good enough for ZG/ZA when I was main healer Firelands xD

Also being on an RP realm got me a lot of stick from randoms.

Makes you want to reach through the screen and smack them down. I think that it's always funny to watch some guy spend the entire run trash talking while the rest of us have to fight to keep things going and half the time they die adn blame us no matter what they do that gets them killed.

Had one guy rant for 20 minutes about how it was my fault in the Well of Eternity that he rushed ahead and pulled the demons marching into a portal or something.

BrokenShards

I think my best was getting told I never healed the dps when I spent more mana healing him than the main tank, he got even angrier when my heal monitor told the same story.

I also remember getting raged at for not debuffing things I couldn't debuff or my pala not giving stamina buffs xD

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 17, 2012, 10:03:44 PM
I think my best was getting told I never healed the dps when I spent more mana healing him than the main tank, he got even angrier when my heal monitor told the same story.

I also remember getting raged at for not debuffing things I couldn't debuff or my pala not giving stamina buffs xD

I caught one pugger MDing to the healer.. and considering he was doing 3x the damage I was.. made it hard to tank the heat off thehealer. When I asked why.. he said 'cause she let me die'.

I've also seen tools MD other dps for outdoing them.

BrokenShards

Naturally, or the rogue vanish so all aggro passes to healer.

Bloodied Porcelain

I had to stop running my SPriest because I kept getting bitched at because I refused to be a healer. I've played healers on pretty much every other MMO out there, I was determined not to go heals on WoW. Needless to say, after a while, when I wanted to do something I couldn't solo, I switched back to my lock. Groups are outright abusive, though, so I just generally don't do anything that requires me running with other people. I'd honestly rather get Loremaster again than deal with end game groups.

BrokenShards

They got abusive because of the lack of having to scour your own server, because now it's just some healer they won't ever party again with. In the days where you had to keep a good reputation on your realm, if you were an ass, no one would run with you.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 17, 2012, 10:16:10 PM
They got abusive because of the lack of having to scour your own server, because now it's just some healer they won't ever party again with. In the days where you had to keep a good reputation on your realm, if you were an ass, no one would run with you.

I wish there was a way to negatively flag people. Cause let me tell you.. some guys are askign for it. Kill a boss and when your item doesn't drop.. drop in the middle of a fight..

Bloodied Porcelain

I also feel the need to point out that this has gotten horribly off topic. We should prolly sway back toward talking about the video, not how crappy the player base has become.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 17, 2012, 10:33:41 PM
I also feel the need to point out that this has gotten horribly off topic. We should prolly sway back toward talking about the video, not how crappy the player base has become.

True true.. I like the video.. though I have to agree that it doesn't have.. that.. theamic (sp?) quality to it that the other intros have. I think I know who the next big bad might be..

Sargeras the Dark Titan.. I could see encountering him as a 'end of game' sort of expansion.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Sargeras

TheGlyphstone

I'm hoping for Ghostcrawler as the final expansion end boss. Let the game go completely meta.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 17, 2012, 10:42:59 PM
I'm hoping for Ghostcrawler as the final expansion end boss. Let the game go completely meta.

Eeeeee.. the Nerf BAT!!!!

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 17, 2012, 08:23:10 PM
Well you still got the Titans, the Great Old Ones..the bugs, the burning legion and more out there.

My question is:  Why didn't they use any of it???

BrokenShards

Has the emerald dream ever been added to the game yet? It's been in there since beta xD I remember the world event dragons that used to guard the portals back in vanilla.

*sniffles* I miss vanilla.

Chris Brady

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 18, 2012, 01:46:28 AM
Has the emerald dream ever been added to the game yet? It's been in there since beta xD I remember the world event dragons that used to guard the portals back in vanilla.

For a little bit in Cata's end zones.

Quote from: BrokenShards on August 18, 2012, 01:46:28 AM*sniffles* I miss vanilla.

I miss BC, it had the best balance for dungeons, not raids though.

BrokenShards

I guess it's because I entered the game in vanilla and that's where I had the most fun.

I did love kara, but it's because I was in my vanilla guild with my old love <3

Caitlin

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 16, 2012, 03:01:50 PM
Here's the Panderia opening movie:

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer

I've more or less given up on WoW.  And sadly this didn't inspire me at all, wish it did...  What do you guys think?
I loved the intro movie, but I'm never going back to WoW. I lost 5 years of my life to that game already and though it was a fun period, I'm much better off investing my time in writing stories and the occasional game that doesn't require me to grind for hours on end. :-)

Callie Del Noire

I liked the 'free upgrades' we got out of Vanilla.

We got .. MC, Blackrock Spire, Ony, the original Nax, AQ20/40, the original ZG, the first 3 pvp events, world bosses .. class specific weapons.. (which aside from the rare occasionally legendary we've seen nothing follow up on.. my hunter uses his 60 bow for transmog still)

Chris Brady

My NElf Warrior still has Zin'Rohk, Destroyer of Worlds, which he uses to transmog any updated two handed blade he picks up.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 18, 2012, 01:53:36 PM
My NElf Warrior still has Zin'Rohk, Destroyer of Worlds, which he uses to transmog any updated two handed blade he picks up.

I'm going to miss my hunter being able to wield a legendary when they lose their melee slot

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 18, 2012, 02:02:34 PM
I'm going to miss my hunter being able to wield a legendary when they lose their melee slot

I've more or less stopped playing and I miss throwing weapons.

Revelation

I'm going to miss my hunters epic staff from Molten core I got back in vanilla.

I fucking earned Rhok'delar and that staff damnit! I spent almost a month dealing with the 4 demons you had to kill for it. The one you had to kite in winterspring was the wirst because he was the one who needed the most finesse to really kill. The easiest was the one in searing gorge IMO. I did it back when they had 4-8 hour respawn timers....

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Changingsaint on August 18, 2012, 03:32:45 PM
I'm going to miss my hunters epic staff from Molten core I got back in vanilla.

I fucking earned Rhok'delar and that staff damnit! I spent almost a month dealing with the 4 demons you had to kill for it. The one you had to kite in winterspring was the wirst because he was the one who needed the most finesse to really kill. The easiest was the one in searing gorge IMO. I did it back when they had 4-8 hour respawn timers....

What is fun is seeing folks in Lich king gear still get killed by the demons in 2 shots. 

Revelation

Im just glad I got those items on my hunter. My hunter is no longer my main, but those items will definitely hold a place in my heart, thats for certain.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Changingsaint on August 18, 2012, 05:10:55 PM
Im just glad I got those items on my hunter. My hunter is no longer my main, but those items will definitely hold a place in my heart, thats for certain.

I got the bow and the fiery helm from MC for transmogs.

NotoriusBEN

The nostalgia for vanilla is strong in this thread, and I totally agree.

The awesome moments of my guildies and myself have not been reproduced in any game or expansion since.
Healers that could keep half a raid group up by themselves... a rogue that could tank... syncronized banishments from warlocks, the comraderie between the warriors in our guild. All the warriors could tank the lesser dungeons and parts of MC, but the dps warriors let us tanks have the MC and BWL gear and we let them have those cool zg blades and drake claws.  Helping our hunters with the 'lok and 'rok quests (cant help with the kill, but we acted as a screen for mobs and pats to the roads).

That and it was so funny in AQ20 when I had so much defense gear that my healer got bored so I stripped to just boots, pants and gloves so he'd have a challenge :P

And for all the reasons you guys' posted. To do dungeons you had to know your shit. You had to be polite or reroll because no one would play with you. I remember organizing an Alchemy Union on my server to keep Flasks at a set minimum price. It was very hard, but I convinced many of the heavy guilds that if prices were lower than X amount it was a chinese farmer trying to get in on the market. Y'know... back when they were er'vywrr... It worked for a good 3 months until Blizz killed the farmers...

(I admit to using an Alliance toon to buy up all of their cheap Black Lotus and get them traded to my Horde Alchemist to make a killing on the Horde Market.)

Getting my Quel'serrar and Thunderfury... I just about tear up remembering the guild giving me the book and bindings for them... and then rolling into Alterac Valley and tanking the shit out of 20+ players in trash blues (thank you healers)

ah memories... wait, what's this about panda bears?

Callie Del Noire

Rolled through MC last night on my hunter to see if I could get the left binding before I lose the melee option forever. It was fu. When my guilders showed up and asked. "How come all the trash is around but only domo and rag are left?"

I hadn't realized till then I had literally walked or camouflaged my way through 80% of my mobs. The ore hounds were hardest to solo.. The packs before the boss that is..cause I got few aoes as a hunter.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 17, 2012, 10:46:49 PM
Eeeeee.. the Nerf BAT!!!!

Nerf bats can be a trash mob in the raid instance, along with Forum Trolls.

Revelation

As much as I might have enjoyed certain parts of Vanilla WoW.... I am very, very happy its gone. I can’t kid myself. Nilla WoW was just unfun in a lot of ways for me and my friends. I never truly felt challenged once I hit 60 and dealt with the instances. UBRS was only hard because you had to coordinate 9 other jerks, Scholo, strat, get all were all simplistically easy. And MC and BWL were snoozefests that were all trial and error gameplay with no true difficulty other than ‘Hit this boss really hard and sometimes move around’. I started playing WoW about a month before BWL was released, and have only taken a break a few times for a few months. Paladins, shamans, and druids were all a joke in that while you HAD tanking and healing/DPS options with them... They were all pretty much inferior. Same for shadow priests. Basically, if you rolled any of those classes, you were stuck as a healer no matter what you wanted to do.

Burning crusade opened up more options, new professions, and vastly increased the end game available. More, newer raids. Heroics that actually felt challenging, more content for non raiders given out, dailies and improved factions... But even then there were still a few kinks. I feel WOTLK era was the most enjoyable era for me, as it gave yet another profession, a new class which became my favorite, and unified a lot of the wow things that I liked. We had a real protagonist, were back on Azeroth... And hybrid classes actually had a purpose other than healing, battle resses, and totems/heroism. Every role was viable, there were no painful and unfun months long grinds, and it had the most content for both the hardcore raiders and more casual non raiders.

Cataclysm suffered in that a lot of its dev cycle and resources went into the recreating of azeroth and changing much of the 1-60 zones. This was a great thing! Except many of the people wanting Cata had at least one level 80 and weren’t wanting the old content. They wanted new. And many of the players who enjoyed Wraths easier aspects found themselves challenged by Catas early brutal heroics – which were soon toned down to be much more tolerable. In addition, a good chunk of content felt rehashed. IE: Zulgurub, Zulaman, etc. Again I really liked a lot of cataclysms things and agreed 300% with the redesigned talents, but a lto of it was miss as well.

Now, pandaria is coming out, and I see a lot of what I liked in Wrath coming back or kinda evident. Again the talent changes don’t concern me, and I am hoping to have a ton of fun. It reminds me a lot of vanilla wow as well, given I played that for so long. So in short, i’m being the voice of dissent and saying I prefer the new WoW to the old one by tons.

Aiden

Chris Brady

So this is where they finally kill Jaina Proudmoore?  About time, can't have become more important than Thrall after all.

Kuje

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 24, 2012, 06:48:23 PM
So this is where they finally kill Jaina Proudmoore?  About time, can't have become more important than Thrall after all.

If it's based on the new novel, which isn't supposed to be out till next week but a lot of people got it early, like me. However, she doesn't die.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Theramore gets totaled but Jaina survives to become the leader of the Kirin Tor.

Sketchy

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that the new expansion pack is sooo stupid. I honestly thing that Kung Fu Panda is where they got they inspiration from. I sort of took a break from wow after cataclysm was released,  and I don't think I will go back after that. Blizzard is really going downhill, they really need to get their stuff together.

Are you planning to give the new expansion a try? And what are your opinions on the game as a whole?
..::Sketchy::..

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sketchy on August 27, 2012, 01:26:19 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that the new expansion pack is sooo stupid. I honestly thing that Kung Fu Panda is where they got they inspiration from. I sort of took a break from wow after cataclysm was released,  and I don't think I will go back after that. Blizzard is really going downhill, they really need to get their stuff together.

Are you planning to give the new expansion a try? And what are your opinions on the game as a whole?

Point of fact.. the Pandarian culture/setting was hinted about LONG before Kung-fu Panda. Shen Stormstout (I think) was in Warcraft 2 or 3 as a character you could play.

Zakharra

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 27, 2012, 01:44:49 PM
Point of fact.. the Pandarian culture/setting was hinted about LONG before Kung-fu Panda. Shen Stormstout (I think) was in Warcraft 2 or 3 as a character you could play.

Exactly. Panderan were hinted at and a part of WoW lore long before KFP. In WC3, Chen was there a few times then he vanished.  Many people automatically think MoP is based off of KFP only because that film was made so recently. The expansions of WoW are planned  -years- in advance. MoP was in the works long before KFP was a wet dream.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 27, 2012, 01:44:49 PM

Actually, it's been longer than that.  In almost all WC art by I think Samwise (could be another house artist), he would always sneak a panda in there somewhere.

I call it Kung Fu Panda Land because it reminds me of Po and friends and their mythical China, not that it BASED on it.

Question Mark

I love the lore of WoW.  I've participated in dozens of forum games based on the War-verse, and even have one going on right now.  I used to RP all the time (Emerald Dream represent!).  I've come up with a dozen fleshed out characters with their own intersecting stories and relationships.  I think it's a beautiful universe.

But I just can't take pandas seriously.  Blizzard didn't even try to be original.

Quote"Look," said Blizz Exec #1.  "We should totally expand on the pandaren.  They were in Warcraft 3, remember?  Maybe do with them like we did with the night elves: fuse a couple of real life civilizations together, along with some original ideas, and make something unique and true to the Warcraft universe!"

"Wow, that sounds great!" exclaims Exec #2.  "Except, I think we should emphasize the anthropomorphic panda look, keep calling them pandaren, and put them on an island called Pandaria (get it?  They're pandas!)!  We should also make their entire culture a ripoff of the common Western vision of Chinese culture, complete with Chinese names, calligraphy, spirituality, architecture, landscapes, philosophy, and so on!  It'll be so original and true to the Warcraft universe!"

Blizz Exec #1 then tries to point out how WoW's continued trend of blatant cultural ripoffs a la Uldum/Gilneas/THighlands/etc. may cheapen the story and weaken the game's suspension of disbelief, but gets swamped underneath the dollar signs literally popping out of everyone else's eyes.

Seriously.  They are anthropomorphic pandas, called pandaren, living on a continent named Pandaria, whose entire cultural motif is a copy-paste of traditional Chinese mythology.  When I look at this expansion, I don't see Pandaria.  I see China.  Because that's what it is.  There's very little originality to it, and it completely kills my suspension of disbelief.  I love where the story is going, with the war between the Alliance and Horde quickly ramping up, and how that war is manifesting via the Sha, and how they will (hopefully) learn the benefits of peace.  I love the themes, most of the new gameplay mechanics (paladins losing auras = wtf).  I love the cinematics, the new graphics, the mechanics of the monk class, the music.  I love the new gameplay model with tons of daily quests and non-linear levelling.  I love everything about the new expansion, except for the fucking pandas.  It's driving me nuts.  I love this universe, have loved it for over a decade, and now I can't take it seriously anymore.  All.  Because.  Of those.  Motherfucking.  Pandas.

I don't usually rage because of video games, but I've been slowly losing faith in Blizzard ever since they joined with Activision, and became more focused on the bottom line than making great games.  And now this.

Oh, I am mad.  I am downright furious.  One of my favorite universes, treated so shoddily, full of pop culture references and carrots-on-sticks, its story with such rich themes reduced to "Look, now you can play as fluffy pandas, aren't they just ADORABLE?  What, you want serious stories with believable themes and emotions?  Oh, you're such a nerd."

Simply put, World of Warcraft has become the Call of Duty of MMORPGs -- insanely popular cash-cow franchise with a once great, now cheap, story and casual-catering gameplay -- when it should be the Halflife of MMOs!  Blizzard was like Valve and Bungie, and now they're like IW and EA.

It's so damned sad.  I hate it.  I used to love Blizzard, but now I feel betrayed by them.  They're no longer a game company, they're a corporation.

/rant

ofDelusions

To be frank, when I look at pandaren I don't see them as any less original or serious than say Tauren.

Of course I have always been of opinion that WoW lore has always had interesting themes, but has always failed on delivering those par few occasions and has always been filled with Retcons and plot holes.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ofDelusions on August 30, 2012, 11:22:23 AM
To be frank, when I look at pandaren I don't see them as any less original or serious than say Tauren.

Of course I have always been of opinion that WoW lore has always had interesting themes, but has always failed on delivering those par few occasions and has always been filled with Retcons and plot holes.

Lots of loreissuescould have been done.  Like how the kings kidnapping quest line just....stopped. Then he's back with nothing.

Aiden

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 30, 2012, 11:57:37 AM
Lots of loreissuescould have been done.  Like how the kings kidnapping quest line just....stopped. Then he's back with nothing.

The story was told in the comic books.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on August 30, 2012, 12:44:25 PM
The story was told in the comic books.

Rather the quest line had been done in game.  What they put out covered nearly 20 levels before vanishing.

Moraline

Old World of Warcraft - Badass serious adventure with a slightly cartoony game. It rated at about 90% Serious action adventure and 10% silliness. Which is good to me. gotta have a little bit of humor to lighten the mood.
Original Cinematic - Drums of War

- A few pop culture references and silly geek humor. Mostly geared toward gaming and sci-fi/fantasy geeks.

- Then came Burning Crusade - Still badass serious adventure. 90% action adventure 10-15% silly cartoon humor. Mostly from Goblins and Gnomes (PS: I don't like either race) They also added more geek humor for us. And still the cinematic even had cute little blood elf suck the life out of a Mana-worm. Nothing silly in that cinematic.

- Then came Wrath of the Lich King - Still badass serious adventure. They started to bring in a lot more humor though. It had started with geek humor and become a lot more mainstream in LK. My goodness, Chuck Norris and Mr T started making commercials for the game. It was amusing but starting to lose it's charm. At least the cinematic was still dark serious adventure. There was a dramatic edge to the expansion.

- Sparkle ponies came into the game. The humor was very mainstream and things like the sparkle ponies had us all doing a /facepalm.

- Then they did this epic change up of the game. It was a dramatic shift in the world with a month long lead up to the Cataclysm

- Release of Cataclysm. Here is where things started to go seriously wrong. The Goblins invaded everything and the gnomes expanded. Now silly gadgets, sarcastic humor and mainstream pop culture exploded into every aspect of the game. There was still some charm to it, although a lot of people were tired of it and started to leave. I personally couldn't stand it but a lot of people liked it. Some people just really love those little gnomes and goblins despite their incessant over the top humor.
Cataclysm Cinematic- All Will Burn
- Now the game had come to be about  60% Action Adventure and 40% Humor. Nearly every story line has some funny stuff in it.

- Now... Mists of Panderia is coming. Cinematic even contains humor... The new race looks like teddy bears and the entire concept reeks of silliness. Old panda warcraft concept or not, I'm sure they had many other choices they could have gone with that had more meaning and looked less like a disney inspired theme. Or could have been handled differently.
Kung-Fu Panda, er I mean Mists of Panderia Trailer - Why Do We Fight

Why does the Panda shame them in combat in the cinematic? In no other cinematic does the Horde or Alliance beat each other so easily. There is War and Battle! In this new one, they make the Panda look like the ultimate slapstick super hero.

Someone made the comparison between Tauren and Pandaren. I for one have never liked Tauren that much. But really a Tauren is a spin off of a Minotaur a mythical raging beast so it's hardly a good comparison. Not to mention the fact that Tauren are deeply spiritual in nature and don't tilt up poles in cinematic with a bo-staff and smile like a Pandaren.

I'm afraid that WoW has gone from an action adventure game into a MMORPG-Slapstick Comedy routine. Not taking yourself to seriously is one thing but it's a whole other thing when you stop taking yourself seriously at all.

I give up on WoW.

Aiden

Question Mark

Quote from: ofDelusions on August 30, 2012, 11:22:23 AM

I hear this argument a lot on sites like wow.joystiq.com, which I still frequent, mainly for lore and news updates.  Basically, the argument goes like this:

1.) WoW has a precedent for silliness, a la Tauren.
2.) Pandaren are also silly.
3.) Thus, Pandaren are acceptable.

I disagree.  Tauren are a new take on a classic fantasy trope, the minotaur, and felt fresh and original.  Pandaren don't have any precedent, and really are just anthropomorphic Chinese pandas.  There's nothing original about them.  Maybe if they had a streak of Japanese bushido, along with a more Indian style, and possibly a Mongolian appearance, they'd be more original, and thus more believable.

But they're not.  Goddamnit Blizzard.

P.S. I'm not a fan of the "MoP = Kung fu Panda" comparison.  KFP came out years after WC3.  They both drew on the same inspirational source (martial arts in classical China), not each other.  Just thought I'd clear that up.

Moraline

Quote from: Question Mark on August 30, 2012, 04:09:22 PM
P.S. I'm not a fan of the "MoP = Kung fu Panda" comparison.  KFP came out years after WC3.  They both drew on the same inspirational source (martial arts in classical China), not each other.  Just thought I'd clear that up.

The reason why people make the comparison is because Blizzard is giving the Pandaren image a KungFu Panda twist. Just look at the video as he does all kinds of super kung fu moves then tips the post back into place with his staff and has a silly smirk on his face. You can't say that was in Warcraft3. It wasn't.

Plain and simple Blizzard is doing it on purpose and everyone can see it accept the people that say "it was in Warcraft 3 first."  No, it wasn't. Pandaren was but not THAT! *points to the Mists of Pandaria cinematic* The video and the way the concept is being presented is a mockery to anyone that had any serious interest in the lore and the epic battle that is/was the World of Warcraft.

Blizzard is playing up on the kung fu Panda angle and it's disgusting. I don't' like the Pandas as it is but when they do that. I just plain out hate it. It's silly and it's crass commercialism.

Question Mark

Quote from: Moraline on August 30, 2012, 05:17:45 PM
The reason why people make the comparison is because Blizzard is giving the Pandaren image a KungFu Panda twist. Just look at the video as he does all kinds of super kung fu moves then tips the post back into place with his staff and has a silly smirk on his face. You can't say that was in Warcraft3. It wasn't.

Plain and simple Blizzard is doing it on purpose and everyone can see it accept the people that say "it was in Warcraft 3 first."  No, it wasn't. Pandaren was but not THAT! *points to the Mists of Pandaria cinematic* The video and the way the concept is being presented is a mockery to anyone that had any serious interest in the lore and the epic battle that is/was the World of Warcraft.

Blizzard is playing up on the kung fu Panda angle and it's disgusting. I don't' like the Pandas as it is but when they do that. I just plain out hate it. It's silly and it's crass commercialism.

Good point.  I couldn't agree more.

Moraline

I've been thinking a lot about this topic. I was wondering why I get so worked up about it. I've barely played the game in the last couple years.. but as much as I try to walk away from these topics I find myself continually reading them and occasionally replying.

I know why I am furious with the expansion. For all of the reasons I stated in my last two posts. On top of that. Even though the game is dated looking and stuff. I still think that they did a good job with it at it's core. I loved my time in WoW and I'm upset that they are ruining it.

I even miss the socializing and stuff. Late night raids, crazy off the wall RP. I lost my online RP virginity in that game, both figuratively and literally.

Simply the game was an amazing adventure. Now it's a cheap comedy and I'm not amused by it.

Question Mark

Quote from: Moraline on August 30, 2012, 05:31:00 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this topic. I was wondering why I get so worked up about it. I've barely played the game in the last couple years.. but as much as I try to walk away from these topics I find myself continually reading them and occasionally replying.

I know why I am furious with the expansion. For all of the reasons I stated in my last two posts. On top of that. Even though the game is dated looking and stuff. I still think that they did a good job with it at it's core. I loved my time in WoW and I'm upset that they are ruining it.

I even miss the socializing and stuff. Late night raids, crazy off the wall RP. I lost my online RP virginity in that game, both figuratively and literally.

Simply the game was an amazing adventure. Now it's a cheap comedy and I'm not amused by it.

Again, exactly my thoughts!  I still remember my first time playing WoW, with a human warrior made on my uncle's account right after Naxx came out.  I was instantly addicted.  I remember hitting level 10 and crossing the bridge into Westfall, and how the scope of the game just hit me.  I had spent hours wandering around Elwynn; I didn't even go to Stormwind (it was too intimidating to a newbie).  And now there's this whole other zone?  And there's dozens more?  Holy crap, this world is HUGE!  There's so much stuff to do, a true adventure!  And it was a damn good adventure.

Now, like you said, it's just... not.  It's lost that spark, that sense of epicness.  I don't ride halfway around the world, gathering fellow adventurers to delve into a dungeon.  I hit the LFG button, get grouped with a bunch of people I've never met and never will meet again, roflstomp the loot pinata, and walk away with my shinies.  That's not an adventure, that's a job.  RP's been dying out because of it, people have been cancelling their accounts because of it.  But there's enough casuals still pumping money into the machine to make those losses negligible, so Blizz will keep with the model.

Goddamnit Blizz, you were so good.  What's become of you?

TheGlyphstone

For all the people suffering from acute third-stage Grognardian Syndrome...is it possible that the game hasn't changed, but you have? Too much of something builds tolerance - it's why I gave up on WoW. I didn't have any rose-colored nostalgic delusions that it had been 'ruined for teh casuals and kiddiez', or that its storytelling had plummeted, or that it was nerfed into the ground for more profits. I could see that it was still the same game I played in Vanilla...the same cartoony graphics, the same heaps of in-jokes and nerdy pop culture easter eggs, the same emphasis on making every single player the grand hero of their story simultaneous and concurrent with the millions of other One True Heroes. The same sense of adventure and exploration each expansion with its new artwork and landscapes, reminiscent of the previous expansion's terrain but with its own unique twists.

It hadn't changed a bit, and that's why I gave it up, because they were retreading the same material too many times. I'd become inured to Blizzard's storytelling, I needed more to keep me interested beyond The Last Expansion Was Only A Setback, Now I Will Destroy The World! for the fourth, fifth, sixth time. It's still the same game I loved when I started playing it, but I didn't love it anymore, so I walked away.

Question Mark

I used to play all of the time.  After Cata, LFG, and the shrinking of the world via flying mounts, as well as the terrible ripoffs of Uldum and Gilneas, I slowed down quite a bit.  For a while, I only logged on to Raid.  Low level questing had lost its allure, replaced by railroad quest lines that took this massive world and turned it into a linear, hyperspeed "experience."  I could easily go from L1 to L20 in just a couple of hours.  That is completely different from ye olde days.  Your characters don't have a chance to grow or develop, they just ding!-ding!-ding! grats, you are teh winrar!  I don't like pulling out the "they're catering to casuals" rhetoric, but it really seems to be that way.  WoW has become so user-friendly that it's lost what, IMO, made it awesome to begin with.

Ya, Vanilla and BC had their problems, but at least they preserved the sense of epic adventure, and kept easter eggs and pop culture references where they belonged: in the corner, where curious players may find them.  Stuff like attunements: I LOVED that, although I wish they were more streamlined.  Instead Blizz tosses it out.  Hunters requiring to feed/take care of their pets or suffer penalties in combat was a brilliant mechanic, but nope, it got tossed because it was "busywork."  Goddamnit, it's called flavor and it supports the suspension of disbelief!  Now the pet's just a button I press if it dies in combat.

The game has changed dramatically, is the point I'm trying to make.  Some ways in the better, such as phasing and better designed quest hubs, but overwhelmingly in the negative.  IMO, anyway.

Serephino

So far I'm getting more and more frustrated with it.  With this last patch they 'fixed' more stuff that wasn't broke.  BC and LK actually added something to the game and the lore.  There were even more places to explore, and in BC we got two more races.  Although, I will point out that Blizz was kicking around the idea of giving Alliance pandas in BC.  I don't know  why they didn't.  I just know they had sketches and stuff up on the official website, and then the dranei came out of nowhere, and didn't even really seem completely fleshed out when the game was released.

In Cata, they just had a dragon trash the world for sensationalism it would seem.  I get that the same old starting quests were getting boring, but they didn't have to go and do that.  They changed stuff up a little in most of the starting areas without destroying them.  Now Darkshore is difficult to navigate.  They gave every little town and encampment a flight path, so very little running around now.  I remember the days where you had to work your ass off for a mount at 40, and you really appreciated it.  Lowering the level to 20, and making it a bit easier wasn't a bad thing.  It's the flight path thing that is just so annoying to me.  You don't even have to go to that area anymore, and the whole map is crammed full, and it's impossible to find anything.

Now this panda stuff, which doesn't seem to add anything either.  If they're giving both factions pandas that's going to cause a problem, especially in pvp because nobody is going to be able to tell who is who.  The patch they had so much hype over fucked everything all to hell.  The talent system was fine like it was in the original, but no, that wasn't good enough.  Now it's... I don't know...  They don't allow ranged weapons anymore.  They still have them, it's just you have to put them in one of your 2 weapon spots.  You either have to use it to fight with close up, or not at all.  Some of these changes, I don't know what the hell...  I'm a casual player, and they're pissing me off, so you can't even say that's what they're doing.

TheGlyphstone

Didn't they remove the minimum-range requirement for ranged weapons and wands a long time ago? As far as I'd heard and seen, the weapon change just removed the need for everyone to carry a stat-stick, lowering the # of 'required items" for a full gear set by one - warriors have a throw weapon ability instead of lugging around a gun they never shoot, mages just have more powerful wands instead of needing a wand they'll never shoot plus a staff they'll never swing, hunters just keep using their bow at melee range instead of hunting out the biggest, highest-agility spear they will literally never make a single attack with...

Chris Brady

The game hasn't changed?  No, it has.  And I don't just mean mechanically (although I was SO HAPPY when they made Arms viable as a DPS style, too bad by that time most of the end game raids had already long past, and now just Transmog fodder...  I miss Karazhan.  And the original Zul'Gurub), but the people have changed.

Yes, you always had the rage quitters, the whiny, self-entitled 'hardcore' set, but now?  There's not ONE Pick Up Group that doesn't have someone who ditches, or rage quits because we just didn't mesh on that particular Boss.  Everything seems to be "srs bznss!", no one wants to slow down and EXPERIENCE the raid or dungeon, it's all "Rush through!", yes, there were plenty of rushers in Vanilla and BC and definitely Wrath, but you could, sometimes find that group that would mosey along, crushing everything in it's path, but willing to stop and look about.  Half the new (Wrath +) instances, I still don't know what they completely look like on the inside.

And I still haven't done Black Temple, Serpent Shine Caverns or Tempest Keep, for that matter.

On my server, an RP server, the only RP action anyone gets anymore is Goldshire.  And we all know what kinda action THAT is.

As Alliance, I keep saying we should get a raid together and raze that place to the ground.  Burn it down to a cinder.

They'd never see it coming.

I personally, have not really changed.  I still look to play in character, I still take things too slowly in dungeons, I still love to explore, despite having seen it all.  And I still have a low tolerance for idiots, griefers and trolls.  There just seems to be more of them now...

TheGlyphstone

Oh, I wouldn't argue that the player population hasn't changed. But when your game population balloons to 9-10 million people, a significant percentage of those (for example, everyone who posts on the official forums) are going to be assholes. The more total players, the more simple math makes it likely you'll be paired with a bad apple. That's not Blizzard's fault, not when the silver lining to that cloud was the end of spending an hour sitting in Trade chat trying to find a tank and healer for your instance run.

My point wasn't that every single little detail of the game is still the same, that's an obvious falsehood. I was saying that everything that made it World of Warcraft is still there, and the people who insist that it's only gone downhill since [Vanilla/BC/Wrath/Cata, choose your Point of No Return] Ruined It Forever need to take off the rose-tinted glasses and/or tone down the elitism. I remember runs like you describe, I also remember great runs where everyone got along amazing, but it's elementary human psychology to emphasize the negative in memory.

Aiden

Chris Brady

Actually, Glyph, I also disagree.  Blizzard IS to blame.  But that goes back to Vanilla.

If you played back then, you might remember a couple of places.  Like Old Ironforge, and the like.  And the 'zone' that was kept behind a gate in Stormwind.  Or the quest chain that ended abruptly in Ravenholdt (which by the way is STILL THERE and ENDS THE SAME WAY.)

Blizzard has never finished anything they started in WoW.  They keep layering new stuff and more new stuff until they hope the players forget the only stuff still exists.  Hell, they invalidated their previous end game with each new expansion, and neglected anything that was broken, or missing in the previous expansion.

And now, with Jay Wilson at the helm, who is so pro-Horde, I'm surprised he hasn't wiped out all of the Alliance and made just make people roll Horde characters, it's changing even more.

Hell, the entire 'War' chain.  I've said this before, in Andorhal, Alliance side, the only way to finish the quest chain is to 'win', and yet, for no apparent reason, the Alliance loses.  No build up, no explanation, just a loss.  We get all sorts of cool things happening Horde side, and reasons as to why, but Alliance gets an even shorter stick with the story/lore.

Blizzard is totally at fault.  They aren't listening to their fanbase (not fanboys, BASE, the ones who pay to play their game.)

I'm pretty sure when MoP gets wrung out to dry, Mr. Wilson will publicly admit that he was wrong about what the fans wanted (again) and change absolutely nothing about the game.  Cataclysm was possibly the most lackluster expansion to date, and MoP doesn't seem to be picking up the slack.  And I say this as someone who played the Beta since it's release.

Question Mark

Quote from: Serephino on August 30, 2012, 08:40:43 PM
So far I'm getting more and more frustrated with it.  With this last patch they 'fixed' more stuff that wasn't broke.  BC and LK actually added something to the game and the lore.  There were even more places to explore, and in BC we got two more races.  Although, I will point out that Blizz was kicking around the idea of giving Alliance pandas in BC.  I don't know  why they didn't.  I just know they had sketches and stuff up on the official website, and then the dranei came out of nowhere, and didn't even really seem completely fleshed out when the game was released.

In Cata, they just had a dragon trash the world for sensationalism it would seem.  I get that the same old starting quests were getting boring, but they didn't have to go and do that.  They changed stuff up a little in most of the starting areas without destroying them.  Now Darkshore is difficult to navigate.  They gave every little town and encampment a flight path, so very little running around now.  I remember the days where you had to work your ass off for a mount at 40, and you really appreciated it.  Lowering the level to 20, and making it a bit easier wasn't a bad thing.  It's the flight path thing that is just so annoying to me.  You don't even have to go to that area anymore, and the whole map is crammed full, and it's impossible to find anything.

Now this panda stuff, which doesn't seem to add anything either.  If they're giving both factions pandas that's going to cause a problem, especially in pvp because nobody is going to be able to tell who is who.  The patch they had so much hype over fucked everything all to hell.  The talent system was fine like it was in the original, but no, that wasn't good enough.  Now it's... I don't know...  They don't allow ranged weapons anymore.  They still have them, it's just you have to put them in one of your 2 weapon spots.  You either have to use it to fight with close up, or not at all.  Some of these changes, I don't know what the hell...  I'm a casual player, and they're pissing me off, so you can't even say that's what they're doing.

It's funny, that.  Most of the changes you lament in this post I applauded.  The draenei are probably my favorite race, even though they constantly keep getting passed up by Blizz (yet another thing to add to my list of grievances).  I was thrilled to have them in BC, and they fit in perfectly with Alliance ideals.

Deathwing was a terrible, poorly handled character, and the entire Cata expansion suffered so much for it.  However, the breaking of the world was a cool mechanic, and it did give Blizz the perfect excuse to revamp all of the old world zones.  They could have just done a "poof, now everything's different!" but instead they came up with a lore explanation for it.  One of the few good things about Cata.

I loved the new Darkshore, mainly because I felt genuine sorrow that I would never walk Auberdine's docks again, or explore the interior foothills for mysterious beacons and savage moonkin.  When a game evokes emotion, you know it's done its job right.  Plus, the devastation is beautiful, in its own way.

You're spot on with the mounts.  They're way too easy to get nowadays, what with lower prices, super-fast levelling, and lower level requirements.  I'd personally stick 60% at L30, 100% at L60, flying at L70, and 310% at level cap, whatever it may be, and make it expensive as FUCK.  At the moment, mounts are a given.  Any shmuck can afford one.  They're no longer a reward, just a delayed tool.

Also spot on with the flight paths.  I noticed one day that you automatically receive flight paths to zones your level, without even having to explore them first.  One of the worst design decisions possible, it just shrinks the world even further.  There's no incentives to explore.  You don't even have to know where a dungeon is to queue for it!

I don't know about you guys, but when I PvP, I'm looking at the big red names above my enemies heads, which are much more visible than their race, especially from a distance.  Pandas being able to be played by both factions, I think, was an excellent design choice, and one of the few times Blizz has encouraged RP (albeit indirectly).

Hype is hype.  It's not changing anytime soon.

I like the new talents, but I will miss the every-other-level system.  They both have their advantages, but I will not miss cookie-cutter builds at all.

I'm not a fan of the weaponry changes, or the removal of hunter's "dead zone," or the removal of resistances.  The stats one has to worry about has been shrinking since BC, and is one of the surest signs of WoW's decay.  Optimizing stats is easier than ever!

QuoteMy point wasn't that every single little detail of the game is still the same, that's an obvious falsehood. I was saying that everything that made it World of Warcraft is still there, and the people who insist that it's only gone downhill since [Vanilla/BC/Wrath/Cata, choose your Point of No Return] Ruined It Forever need to take off the rose-tinted glasses and/or tone down the elitism. I remember runs like you describe, I also remember great runs where everyone got along amazing, but it's elementary human psychology to emphasize the negative in memory.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I tossed my rose-tinted glasses a long, long time ago.  Vanilla blew in many ways: the logistics of 40 man raids, a cruel and long gear grind to raid-readiness, many zones were incomplete or understocked on quests, and classes were reduced to a few optimal specs (poor protadins...).  What I'm complaining about is the fact that, although Blizzard has fixed these issues, they've also broken some of the things that made Vanilla great!  Stuff like being forced to explore, a slow leveling process that gave you a sense of satisfaction for every ding! you earned (and you did earn those ding!s), a sense of community on your server, complete with blacklists for griefers and vast social networks spanning guilds, and the constant reminder that one day, if you worked your ass off, you could have your own shiny purples and curbstomp some bosses, and feel like you actually earned it.  I miss that shit.  That's what made WoW great.  That hero's path of adventure.

No, I am not an elitist. I never raided until Wrath's Naxx, and I was okay with that, because I earned that raid spot goddamnit!

@Chris

There was definitely some Alliance-neglect (Note, not Horde bias) going on in Cata.  Alliance zones are an endless litany of crushing defeats, humiliating retreats, and wince-worthy pop culture ripoffs.  Their leaders are cardboard figurines who do nothing, or even betray their own race to work with the Horde (*coughMalfurioncough*).  And their women!  Poor Jaina, so concerned for her male leaders that she's been reduced to a tear factory, and Tyrande, who has lost her spine and must constantly be comforted and saved by Malfurion.  "Hush, Tyrande"?!  Warcraft 3's Tyrande would have decked him.

Horde's got their fair share of screw ups too, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Alliance.  There was such an immense backlash from Blizzcon '11 and the announcement of Theramore that I think Blizz has taken notice, and will be more even-handed in Pandaria.  I've seen the intro cinematics and quest chains, and I don't see any bias.

Damn, I never should have responded to this thread.  I am raging hard.  Yet, it is somewhat cathartic.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 30, 2012, 09:54:07 PM
Actually, Glyph, I also disagree.  Blizzard IS to blame.  But that goes back to Vanilla.

If you played back then, you might remember a couple of places.  Like Old Ironforge, and the like.  And the 'zone' that was kept behind a gate in Stormwind.  Or the quest chain that ended abruptly in Ravenholdt (which by the way is STILL THERE and ENDS THE SAME WAY.)

Blizzard has never finished anything they started in WoW.  They keep layering new stuff and more new stuff until they hope the players forget the only stuff still exists.  Hell, they invalidated their previous end game with each new expansion, and neglected anything that was broken, or missing in the previous expansion.

And now, with Jay Wilson at the helm, who is so pro-Horde, I'm surprised he hasn't wiped out all of the Alliance and made just make people roll Horde characters, it's changing even more.

Hell, the entire 'War' chain.  I've said this before, in Andorhal, Alliance side, the only way to finish the quest chain is to 'win', and yet, for no apparent reason, the Alliance loses.  No build up, no explanation, just a loss.  We get all sorts of cool things happening Horde side, and reasons as to why, but Alliance gets an even shorter stick with the story/lore.

Blizzard is totally at fault.  They aren't listening to their fanbase (not fanboys, BASE, the ones who pay to play their game.)

I'm pretty sure when MoP gets wrung out to dry, Mr. Wilson will publicly admit that he was wrong about what the fans wanted (again) and change absolutely nothing about the game.  Cataclysm was possibly the most lackluster expansion to date, and MoP doesn't seem to be picking up the slack.  And I say this as someone who played the Beta since it's release.

I'm not sure if you keep taking me out of context accidentally or not - that 'Blizzard was not to blame' was specifically talking about your complaint that the quality of random pickup groups had deteriorated dramatically. It's not like they put a sticker on the box that said 'Now With 100% more Assholes".

QuoteAlso spot on with the flight paths.  I noticed one day that you automatically receive flight paths to zones your level, without even having to explore them first.  One of the worst design decisions possible, it just shrinks the world even further.  There's no incentives to explore.  You don't even have to know where a dungeon is to queue for it!
Yeah, that was pretty lame, though I disagree somewhat on the dungeon queue bit...having to hike a bazillion miles to get to it made places like Wailing Caverns almost never visited. Some sort of system where you had to physically visit the place once in order to unlock it would have been better, but the need for everyone to hike out to the location was an unnecessary hassle.

Damn, I never should have responded to this thread.  I am raging hard.  Yet, it is somewhat cathartic.
It really is.

Serephino

I lost those so called 'rose tinted glasses' when farmers started taking over.  They ruined the economy to the point where it can't be fixed without wiping everything.  Blizzard's answer to this was to make gold easier to get.  However, all this did was cause massive inflation.  Go to the auction house sometime and look at low level items.  Ten gold for a level 5 item... 

I remember when I could get a level 15 item for ten silver.  The only way to get decent items anymore is to have them drop for you, or have a high level character to farm with.  If you're just starting out as a beginner, forget going to the auction house.  You can't afford it.  Hell, I've sold vanilla epics for less than what it would cost to get a green item half that level.  I know it's because BC items made those sets obsolete, but damn, I it really shouldn't be cheaper to outfit a 60 in full vanilla epics than deck out a level ten in green items, but I've done it.

I did use melee weapons on hunters, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  It's probably not as common since you start off with a pet (you used to have to earn those too).  But, say you're running around, and you and your faithful pet are killing something.  Something else comes up behind you, but you don't know until you're being attacked.  I know they got rid of distance restrictions, but seriously, with a real bow you couldn't shoot something standing right in front of you.  This may be a game, but if it's not at least a tiny bit realistic, it looks stupid.  My boyfriend also pointed out that they made it so you take less damage in pvp, but they made ranged weapons stronger.  That gives hunters a slight advantage.

Admittedly, I didn't use wands on casters much.  For a while, I wasn't even bothering with them.  The only time I missed them is to more easily catch runners without having to cast, or when I didn't have enough mana.  I do make use of staffs, mostly while waiting for spell cooldowns.  I did use thrown weapons on rogues all the time.  It was a pain making sure I kept those upgraded so my armor rating didn't suffer, but it wasn't that horrible given how much I used them.

I still remember when you could mix talent points from all three trees.  That wasn't a problem until some people figured out how to make really good combinations.  I always used to make my priests mostly shadow for questing, but with a few holy points to help heal in dungeons.  Elitists didn't like that, and maybe Blizzard got tired of the constant whining.

The dungeon ques aren't too bad I guess.  It does beat hours in trade channel, but it also got that whole instant gratification thing going.  People did start rushing more than they used to.  Yes, people did originally too, but those people were once yelled at.  After every fight the party used to stop and pick up loot, and casters would sit and regain mana...  Now it's rush rush rush!  They can't be bothered to make sure the healer has enough mana.  I've gone through as a priest, taken only a second to loot a corpse, and next thing I know the tank is in the next room almost dead. 

People will leave after one wipe.  I remember wiping 8 or 9 times during a run, and everybody came back and we tried again.  Now people get mad and leave because they can just get another group who isn't full of noobs in a few minutes.  I can also remember the LFG channel was global, and I didn't have to spend hours in trade.  That was ruined by a few childish idiots.         

Moraline

Ok my funniest moment from Cata...

I spend like 3 days clearing every single quest in Uldum and getting my guild together to help me get achievements (we were achievement whores.) It was a bit annoying because every hour so I kept getting interrupted by real life stuff and had go to bed for work in the morning and so on...

I finally get it all completed and I'm standing there looking through my achievements lists seeing what I might still need then.....

Death.

"Achievement Earned - Stood in the Fire"

My guild laughed hysterically at me. I had no idea there was even an achievement for this. I had heard people talking about Deathwing killing people but I totally missed the part where/when it happened. I was like.. OMG, what just happened! Why am I dead?!!  The laughter over Vent was hysterical.

I just wanted to share that little funny nublette moment of mine.

@Glyph - I don't wear any rose colored glassed about WoW. None at all. I don't feel like it was all sunshine and lollipops and everything was perfect. I just feel like the humor that existed before has been blown out of proportion. There was humor in it before but now that things like the Goblins and Gnomes have spread their stupid little silly humor into every corner it's become absurdly slapstick. Now they are even making cinematics with humor in them. I pointed out clearly the difference in my previous posts on this topic *points up*   

The game story has changed in new directions and not for the better in my opinion.

I wasn't some 12 year old kid that enjoyed silly humor when I started playing WoW. I was well into my 20's when Vanilla WoW was launched. I thankfully missed the initial growing pains of the game and didn't join until not long before Burning Crusade was launched. But I was there long enough and adult enough to see the game clearly. I had already played other MMORPG's before and I have played close to a dozen since it.

Simply, they've gone over the top with the humor factor. To much schtick is to much. They need to reign it in and give us a World of War!craft again. I like my fantasy stories with a lot of action, drama and just a dash of humor. It feels like you can't do a single quest now in the new stuff without their being some funny character or some funny joke. It's just to much.

Question Mark

The humor is, I think, one of WoW's defining characteristics.  It's exaggerated style, it's slapstick moments, over-the-top ham... It's just the style WoW was made in.  You can still take a story seriously, even if it is chock full of humor.

WoW's never been one for grimdark or cynicism.  Not liking WoW because it hasn't become grimdark or cynical is like not liking American Idol because each season focuses more and more on the singers.  In other words, you shouldn't have even liked it to begin with.

Moraline

Quote from: Question Mark on August 31, 2012, 12:50:56 PM
The humor is, I think, one of WoW's defining characteristics.  It's exaggerated style, it's slapstick moments, over-the-top ham... It's just the style WoW was made in.  You can still take a story seriously, even if it is chock full of humor.

WoW's never been one for grimdark or cynicism.  Not liking WoW because it hasn't become grimdark or cynical is like not liking American Idol because each season focuses more and more on the singers.  In other words, you shouldn't have even liked it to begin with.

As I stated.. I like the humor.  The issue is that there is now too much of it. Watch those cinematics and think back to Burning Crusade.. then jump ahead to Mists of Panderia and watch and compare those two trailers. IT defines the changes that have taken place. It went from a bit of humor to chock full of humor. There was nothing funny in the old stories about the blood elf lands being torn apart by magic or the might of the burning legions. There was little humor in most of the lore. Now all of the new stuff is chock full of slapstick comedy. It's sickening.

I understand if you didn't join WoW until Lich King or shortly before. If that's the case then you've most likely always been engrossed in what was coming with Cata and now Panderia. But for me, it's changed a lot over the years.

Question Mark

Been playing since Vanilla Naxx.  BC cinematic had its fair share of humor (sheep and burning murlocs, I laughed).

I haven't played through MoP besides some of the starting zones, so I can't really comment on them.  Cata was full of humor, but I think a lot of it was poorly handled, or just introduced at the wrong times (remember that dryad who just loved cuddly creatures?  Or the Wildhammer wedding?  Talk about total moodkill)

I see your point, I just love goblins/gnomes XD

Chris Brady

I want to clarify a couple points.

First, I never had any rose tinted goggles for WoW.  Anyone who loved Vanilla never played a Non-Tank Warrior, or any Paladin, especially not as their main.  At launch it was nothing more than a reskinned EQ clone.  All the tropes started in EQ were still in full force at launch, despite the promise that it would be different.  As it stand now, the best class for straight up DPS is still the Mage, and they still have the best CC in the entire game.  Magic still rules ove melee.

Mechanically, things are MUCH better now, than they were in Vanilla.  Except maybe the talent system now.  But non-Prot Warriors are almost as viable as a Rogue now (#3 DPS class) and the Paladin is no longer the Russian Roulette lottery class (Will it proc or not?  Let's turn on Seal of Justice or whichever, and find out!  Yay!) not to mention thousands of little tweaks here and there.

Secondly, I cannot stand grimdark.  I'm too optimistic a person to get behind the Lovecraft ideal of "EVERYTHING IS DOOOOOOOOMED!  AND YOU'RE INSIGNIFICANT!"  I loved the humour, still do.  Although of late, I think they're forcing it.  They're trying too hard.  At first it was subtle, but there.  Now...

However, my real beef is...

Look, I don't care that the Alliance is losing.  This is Blizzard, they NEVER have the human faction victorious.  Goes all the way back to Starcraft, and I'm OK with that.  It's that we (Alliance) are not being given enough information as to WHY we're losing.  And Blizzard doesn't care anymore to even bother to tell us.  And the sad part is, that's all we want.  To know why.

Serephino

Ah, achievements, there's another thing.  People have become obsessed with those instead of enjoying the game.  I never gave a crap about them.  Hell, most like the standing in fire one any idiot can get, and they're nothing more than worthless shiny medals to me.  The guild perks are nice, but the level thing is stupid.  I got roped into capping the xp of my priest and running Deadmines 4 times in one night for the challenge to level the guild.  It didn't work, in fact, it didn't do much good at all, but the guild leader was told it would, and leveling the guild was all important. 

Moraline

Quote from: Question Mark on August 31, 2012, 01:44:13 PM
Been playing since Vanilla Naxx.  BC cinematic had its fair share of humor (sheep and burning murlocs, I laughed).

I haven't played through MoP besides some of the starting zones, so I can't really comment on them.  Cata was full of humor, but I think a lot of it was poorly handled, or just introduced at the wrong times (remember that dryad who just loved cuddly creatures?  Or the Wildhammer wedding?  Talk about total moodkill)

I see your point, I just love goblins/gnomes XD

Exactly and honestly you were really young in Vanilla WoW days.

As for the BC cinematic, the sheeping was funny. But you didn't see the Kung-Fu panda humiliate 2 iconic faction symbols (Horde/Alliance) in battle in some ridiculous fashion. The entire last minute of that new trailer is nothing but humor. Even the look on the faces of the Orc and the Human as they stare at the Panda are slack jawed humor.

I can't knock Blizzard for doing it. It's a smart marketing tactic on their part. They know that their audience is young teenage boys and they are trying to sell to that demographic as their older players start to grow out of the game and move onto newer shinier games. It might be a mistake though, because I think they are underestimating how many of their players are older and how many are still playing. Not to mention that not all teenage boys enjoy this stuff.

Aiden

I would be slack jawed also if I met an entirely NEW race, who not only came out of nowhere, but also beats the crap out of me with a style of fighting I had never witnessed before, just saying.

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 31, 2012, 01:55:35 PM
...  Anyone who loved Vanilla never played a Non-Tank Warrior, ....
It's funny but when i started back in Vanilla. I was an Arms Warrior Troll. I had no idea what I was doing. I leveled 60 levels like that before having to switch to Tank. But when BC came out, I was a hybrid Arms and Fury and ruled the PvP lands. It was a blast!

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 31, 2012, 01:55:35 PM
However, my real beef is...

Look, I don't care that the Alliance is losing.  This is Blizzard, they NEVER have the human faction victorious.  Goes all the way back to Starcraft, and I'm OK with that.  It's that we (Alliance) are not being given enough information as to WHY we're losing.  And Blizzard doesn't care anymore to even bother to tell us.  And the sad part is, that's all we want.  To know why.
LOL.. Horde for life. 

The first server I played on though was predominantly Alliance so we got rolled all the time by roving bands of Alliance. I know what your saying though about no love for them. It seems everything made for Alliance are just silly and they are left in shambles all the time after expansions.

Quote from: Serephino on August 31, 2012, 01:56:30 PM
Ah, achievements, there's another thing.  People have become obsessed with those instead of enjoying the game.  I never gave a crap about them.  Hell, most like the standing in fire one any idiot can get, and they're nothing more than worthless shiny medals to me.  The guild perks are nice, but the level thing is stupid.  I got roped into capping the xp of my priest and running Deadmines 4 times in one night for the challenge to level the guild.  It didn't work, in fact, it didn't do much good at all, but the guild leader was told it would, and leveling the guild was all important. 

I gotta say I loved achievements. It was fun to go back with the guild and do old dungeons and stuff to earn achievements. We held guild events a couple times a week to go do them.

We also did what we called "Lizard Killing Thursdays" where we'd go kill all the dragon bosses and get people achievements and make sure that everyone earned "The Black Drake" from Sartharion.

It was a blast. Because mostly we were higher levels it let us bring along lowbies to pick up pretty gear or finish sets for our older/higher level players. All in all it was a good excuse to hang out as a guild with very little pressure and lots of stress free raiding. Although sometimes to complete some of the achievements it takes a lot of coordination even with higher level toons.

*edit to add*
Quote from: Aiden on August 31, 2012, 02:08:10 PM
I would be slack jawed also if I met an entirely NEW race, who not only came out of nowhere, but also beats the crap out of me with a style of fighting I had never witnessed before, just saying.

It's true. But you wouldn't stand there looking humrous about it. Also, why are they getting beat so badly by a Panda? The only reason is to make the Panda look like the slapstick super hero that he is. Aka: Kung-Fu Panda.

Chris Brady

Moraline also touches on something for me.

I love Eastern Martial Arts.  Kung-fu, Karate, Escrima/Kali, weapons technique like the staff, chain weapons, all that (Although Western styles, pre-Olympic Fencing are awesome too, especially sword work), and I also loved the Kung Fu Panda movies, so this expansion should be hitting all my buttons.

But it's not.  Not even a tickle.  Because, yet again, I feel they're forcing things.  WoW used to have a little subtlety, now none.

Also, now that I think about it, none of the Warcraft game cinematics were ever humourous.  Not from Warcraft 2, with the Orc and Human desperately fighting it out on the plains.  It was all in game, little Easter eggs like the exploding sheep after clicking too many times, or the funny unit chatter if you click on them, but nothing overt.  And nothing to the extent of MoP.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Aiden on August 31, 2012, 02:08:10 PM
Cuz everyone knows that Fighters cannot adapt to knew combat situations, ever.

Just sayin'

Question Mark

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again.

Blizzard is no longer a gaming company.  Their focus is no longer on building fun, deep games.  Sure, they still make some of the best games out there, but they lack that personal touch, that genuine connection between developer and gamer that one experiences in games like Halflife, Halo, and Brood War.  Look at Diablo 3, what with the real-money AH and having to be logged online to play (I spent three weeks with that game installed on my computer, but wasn't able to play it because of an error on Blizz's servers).  That's not something a developer would do if they had the interests of their consumers forthright in their minds.

No, Blizzard is now a corporation.  They know they can make great games that reap in millions, and they exploit it at every opportunity.  They cut corners (WoW's the perfect example.  They only include features when sales start to drop), they hedge the market, and they include so many goddamn collectibles and vanity items you can only buy with real money.

They don't make games anymore, they make money.  That's probably the #1 reason I quit WoW.

Chris Brady

You know what really gets me in that cinema?  Just how easily (Chen was it?) the monk owned two warriors.  All he got was damaged hat.  No stale mate for a couple seconds, no desperate gamble, just "oh look two guys fighting and damaging my temple.  Better stop it.  *Yawn*"  it had absolutely no tension.

Aiden

You do realize Chen is a hero right?

Its like getting upset if Varian complete destroys three no named orc grunts in single hand combat. (Which he could so do easily)

Chris Brady

Quote from: Aiden on August 31, 2012, 02:42:36 PM
You do realize Chen is a hero right?

Its like getting upset if Varian complete destroys three no named orc grunts in single hand combat. (Which he could so do easily)
We all know we'd never get to see that.  Garrosh (ugh, King Whiny the Humourless) definitely, but not Varian.  He's too busy raging on his throne doing...  Nothing.

After all, when the Horde commander in Stone Talon (I think) starts slaughtering innocents, Garrosh gets off his throney ass and KILLS the idiotic bastard HIMSELF, while Varian does nothing when Andorhal falls to Sylvannas.

Question Mark

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 31, 2012, 03:29:13 PM
We all know we'd never get to see that.  Garrosh (ugh, King Whiny the Humourless) definitely, but not Varian.  He's too busy raging on his throne doing...  Nothing.

After all, when the Horde commander in Stone Talon (I think) starts slaughtering innocents, Garrosh gets off his throney ass and KILLS the idiotic bastard HIMSELF, while Varian does nothing when Andorhal falls to Sylvannas.

Varian only gets to be badass in the comics that no one reads...

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 01, 2012, 12:23:01 AM
Varian only gets to be badass in the comics that no one reads...

I own about the first 10 or so.  Because I am an Alliance fan.  Although I absolutely have NOTHING against the Horde side, personally, (GO ORCS!) as I have several, but I guess I'm a sucker for the underdog.

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 01, 2012, 12:31:29 AM
... I'm a sucker for the underdog.

It's funny you say that. That's actually why I choose Horde side and a Troll for my first toon. When I read the website, the Orcs were misplaced and struggling to survive in a strange world. I instantly liked that concept of being the underdog. Then I read the Troll story and fell in love with it. Plus the Jamaican accent was totally awesome.

Now the tables have reversed and the Alliance are losing ground.

Here's a funny thought. They should change the pandas. Instead of having pandas as silly disney charcters, they should make them sad pandas (EMO Pandaria.) Home of the Sad Panda.

TheGlyphstone

I dunno. Sure, the cinematic is comedic in the interest of making the New Thing This Expansion look badass, but when we actually get to the game, we might find the Pandarens to be a lot more sad/emo/sympathetic. Their island paradise home is being invaded by two gigantic armies bent on destruction, both known for not significantly caring about collateral damage, - that's gotta suck for anyone who isn't Chen Stormstout.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 01, 2012, 10:31:13 AM
I dunno. Sure, the cinematic is comedic in the interest of making the New Thing This Expansion look badass, but when we actually get to the game, we might find the Pandarens to be a lot more sad/emo/sympathetic. Their island paradise home is being invaded by two gigantic armies bent on destruction, both known for not significantly caring about collateral damage, - that's gotta suck for anyone who isn't Chen Stormstout.

Not to mentio a very REAL schism in their culture. Pandarans are choosing sides and, if done properly, you get the 'brother against brother' vibe.  I doubt they will pull it off but there was a LITTLE of it with the NPCs you run with in the starting zone. You lose some of them when you pick a side.

Moraline

And maybe the new character class - Pandaren Brewmaster

QuoteHailing from the secretive Pandaren Empire, the mighty brewmasters travel the world in search of exotic ales and the finest brewed spirits. These affable warriors rarely seek out danger or trouble, preferring instead to spend their time concocting new and tasty beverages for any brave enough to imbibe them. ~ http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren_Brewmaster

... will be a drunken stumbling bum that is unable to see straight and if you play one your screen will be perpetually blurry. Each brewmaster will need to beg for change on the street corners of Org and Stromwind to get gold for brewing ingredients.

... Is anyone else disturbed that there is actually going to be a character class for this? Are you kidding me? Now we just need Lord of the Rings style Bards that can kill enemies and heal allies with musical notes...  :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Moraline on September 01, 2012, 10:48:17 AM

... will be a drunken stumbling bum that is unable to see straight and if you play one your screen will be perpetually blurry. Each brewmaster will need to beg for change on the street corners of Org and Stromwind to get gold for brewing ingredients.

... Is anyone else disturbed that there is actually going to be a character class for this? Are you kidding me? Now we just need Lord of the Rings style Bards that can kill enemies and heal allies with musical notes...  :P

Actually they are pretty cool. I like the mist walkers vibe but I can't seem to play them well.. Too much tanking.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Moraline on September 01, 2012, 10:48:17 AM

Not disturbing in the least, mainly because I've become desensitized. I'll take a class who buffs and heals through alcohol For Medicinal Purposes over a werewolf riding a motorcycle any day.

Moraline

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 01, 2012, 11:25:05 AM
Not disturbing in the least, mainly because I've become desensitized. I'll take a class who buffs and heals through alcohol For Medicinal Purposes over a werewolf riding a motorcycle any day.

Of course.. because a big giant panda with a cask on it's back riding a motorcycle is so much better.

PS: I'm not a fan of Worgen either, but at least their character class isn't a fighting brewmaster. It's a brewer, he has no business being a warrior. The entire purpose of that class is nothing but comedy relief.

*edit: That's another example of what's wrong with this expansion. Even the new character class "Brewmaster" is designed around a comical farse.

Aiden

The worgen lore was more ridiculous then pandas to be honest.

Question Mark

Brewmaster isn't a class, it's a spec.  The class is monk, and it can also be a windwalker or mistweaver (if memory serves).  Apparently alcohol is a big part of pandaren society (a decision I applaud, anything to make them more original is good), and some brewmasters combine their talent with physical prowess.

I think the gist of the spec is a monk who brews his own alcohol, and is incredibly durable and full of stamina from being a die-hard alcoholic.  Very few brewmasters are good fighters, but some of the best fighters are also brewmasters.

I think.  I may be giving Blizz too much credit.

Quote from: Aiden on September 01, 2012, 12:12:47 PM
The worgen lore was more ridiculous then pandas to be honest.

Hey!  I liked the story of Gilneas, of a country on the run because of the curse, and eventually the Forsaken.  The part that sucked there was that it was a direct ripoff of Industrial London, where everyone had a Cockney accent and wore tophats.  It's a beautiful zone, but it's really just a copy-paste of popular tropes in that setting (Just like Uldum, TwiHighlands, and now Pandaria).

Aiden

I'm not talking about the area, I am talking about the druids of the fang who became to feral and where put to sleep in the threes, only to be awakened later and eventually become the worgen.

I think Malfurian is involved also

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Moraline on September 01, 2012, 12:06:31 PM
Of course.. because a big giant panda with a cask on it's back riding a motorcycle is so much better.

PS: I'm not a fan of Worgen either, but at least their character class isn't a fighting brewmaster. It's a brewer, he has no business being a warrior. The entire purpose of that class is nothing but comedy relief.

*edit: That's another example of what's wrong with this expansion. Even the new character class "Brewmaster" is designed around a comical farse.

If you go looking expectant and insistent on finding comedy relief, of course you're going to see comedy relief.

Revelation

Still pretty excited for it really.

As for the Monk, the Brewmaster is called Monk. Brewmaster is its tanking spec. The entire class does not solely revolve around drinking. But still, drunken martial arts haven't been done before.  The more proper link for the monk class, rather than Pandaren brewmaster would be Here.

I really just fail to see Pandarens as less goofy than the jamaican trolls or the blatant stereotypes of native american cow people I guess.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on September 01, 2012, 10:14:01 AM
It's funny you say that. That's actually why I choose Horde side and a Troll for my first toon. When I read the website, the Orcs were misplaced and struggling to survive in a strange world. I instantly liked that concept of being the underdog. Then I read the Troll story and fell in love with it. Plus the Jamaican accent was totally awesome.

Now the tables have reversed and the Alliance are losing ground.

Oh boy.  :)  Now you done it.  Time for me to explain how I've spent the last 20 years interpreting the lore (Which I will freely admit, I might be wrong about.)

See, the Horde have NEVER been the underdogs.  Back in Warcraft 1, a human (this will be a reoccurring theme, watch out for it) opened a portal because a Mad God told him to, and let loose the original Horde, a demon blood drunk and willingly corrupted race of man beasts we were told called themselves the Orcs.  And they proceeded to lay waste to the human world of Azeroth.

In the second game the beleaguered humans decided they had enough of these green skins stomping around on their world and decided to take the fight back to them.  By going back to the world that the Orcs came from.  And sent their best to do it.Which they promptly close the door behind them, stranding their elite force behind the portal.  There's more to it than that, but if you played through Burning Crusade it pretty much gives you the entirety of the Horde's side.

Now starts Warcraft 3.  Where the Orcs are listless and almost lifeless as their drug supply (Demons' blood) ran out years ago.  Out of this comes Thrall, the future saviour of the entire planet of Azeroth, but as we have all played WoW, I will not touch that there.  So the game begins with Thrall breaking out his fellow homies from the human internment camps, which by the way, is a much more merciful treatment that most people would have liked, and frankly, the Orcs merited, as a certain Admiral Proudmoore believed.  He wanders about the countryside until hearing about this new continent!  Well, hey!  Let's go there!  There's no humans!

Now, you might be fooled into thinking that the Orcs are the underdog here, but not really.  Once they've gotten their pep talk by human raised Thrall, the tribes go and lay claim to the land of Kalimdor.  Along the way, they find and rescue the Dark Spear tribe of Trolls (Possibly the only mildly benevolent tribe left in all of Azeroth), giving them a new home.  They find the spiritual, and potentially doomed (And they should have been...) Tauren, who were being wiped out by the Centaur.  Yes, that race of incestuous morons that you slaughter by the cruise ship load during the beginning quests in Kalimdor.  (Don't know about you, but to the Tauren...  Darwin sez, YOU LOSE!  Good bye!  Try again next mutation!)  Everything is looking great for the Horde!  Two new allies, a new home!  Yeah, Grom Hellscream had a bit of a back slide into his drug habit, but he got better, in the most AWESOME way possible.  (Grom is my hero.  :)  I still have his axe in my bank.  I use it to reskin any axe I get in WoW.)

The Alliance on the other hand, they're getting screwed.  First, the Scourge comes back, awakened by the Burning Legion who decided that the Orcs were a waste of time and skin, as they couldn't do Sargeras' will, having failed, not once, but TWICE.  (Mannoroth, nice guy that he is, decides to give them a second chance, and we know how well the Orcs thanked him for that.)  So, the human Prince, wannabe Paladin does the RIGHT THING (Yes, culling Strathholme was the ONLY thing anyone could do.  It was a lost city, NO ONE was able to be saved) instead Uther Lightbringer has an idiot moment, and denounces Arthas.  Unfortunately, Arthas goes nuts in the process.  Gets an Evil Rune Sword for his trouble, reawakens a Horde Lich, and comes home to kill Daddy.

Worse, he succeeds.  Now, if you keep playing the human campaign, you find out that every single victory you get in there gets totally and completely undone by the Scourge campaign you play IMMEDIATELY after the human one.  Everything you did in the previous campaign, literally, means nothing.  The humans LOST.  Gilneas isolates itself, to protect from the falling of Lorderon.  Which becomes a undead infested hell, even after Sylvannas splits off from the rest of the Scourge, she pretty much still IS Scourge.  After all, creating a plague to kill all life, to 'protect' her people is incredibly similar to what the Scourge wants to do to ALL life on Azeroth!  So all the humans have left is a SINGLE kingdom, Stormwind.

Th Dwarves aren't better off.  They lost one of the royal heirs of their kingdom to Arthas' quest.  They have a traitor in the form of their princess (Whom I advocate killing her AND her spawn, because she WORSHIPS THE BURNING LEGION!  And thinks that because she's the Princess she should be allowed to rule all Dwarves.)  The Gnomes, the Wiley. E. Coyote SUUUPAH Genius that they are, literally NUKE their home, and still fail to kick out the invading Troggs.  The High Elves, despondent at losing their Sunwell go nuts, and the Humans are suddenly racist, and decide to kick out their longest standing allies.  The ones that TAUGHT THEM MAGIC IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Hell, even the Night Elves are screwed as their Life Tree got torched before they could stop the Burning Legion.  And they lost their immortality out of it.  Ouch.

So, let's recap.

Now the Orcs have a bright future ahead of themselves.  They have new friends, a new home and are stronger now than they were when they invaded Azeroth about 60 years ago.  They even kicked their drug habit!  Their future is the brightest.

The Humans on the other hand have lost an ally, and most of their own that are still here have their own problems (Titan curses, Werewolf infestation), they lost several of their greatest heroes (even if Uther went stupid on them, during the Culling of Strath), and even more went corrupt, some even became more Scourge.  The Humans are on the decline.  90% of Azeroth's current problem are Alliance made, in one way or another.  Why?  Often because of ONE person.

So no, the Orcs are not, and have never been, the underdog.  The humans are.  Which is why I play Alliance.

Harlome

Well, the hubby who's been playing since vanilla is totally stoked for the expansion, he's been relearning all his toons since the new patch came out. I'm a casually casual player so I don't get the major hard-ons or softies from WoW content but I will admit that visually I find this to be the most well done cinematic, and there was a little bit of humor in it which was neat. It's not going to prompt me to go out and buy the collector's edition or anything but yeah, I'll still play it, and from what I've played in the beta it doesn't seem all that bad

Aiden

So its been out for a week, visually the game (with its old engine) its amazing.

I have not made it out of the first zone yet but I love the plot.

Chris Brady

So I hear.  Still not going to get it.  :P

Although the Pokemon pet battles sound adorable.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 29, 2012, 12:24:13 AM
So I hear.  Still not going to get it.  :P

Although the Pokemon pet battles sound adorable.

That are kinda fun.. particularly when you got like a gazillion vanity pets like me. Grunty is funny as are the other murlock pets.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 29, 2012, 12:29:56 AM
That are kinda fun.. particularly when you got like a gazillion vanity pets like me. Grunty is funny as are the other murlock pets.
My NElf Warrior has quite a few pets, and several of the rarer kind.  Like the Tree Frog.

Arohk

I still hate the Pandaren with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

And also the 300k mana cap.

But I have been having a lot of fun with the expansion. Something fresh to do is always welcome. I hit 90 within the first 26 hours and am all geared out already. :3

Drop me a line if you want to! I'm Arohk of Alleria. Been playing a lot, so I'll most likely be on if you want to chat. XP

Chris Brady

Unless I somehow magically given the expac as a gift (which is the only way I will willingly own it) I'll stick to being 85.  :P

Bxcrave

Quote from: Arohk on September 29, 2012, 02:37:25 PM
I still hate the Pandaren with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

And also the 300k mana cap.

But I have been having a lot of fun with the expansion. Something fresh to do is always welcome. I hit 90 within the first 26 hours and am all geared out already. :3

Drop me a line if you want to! I'm Arohk of Alleria. Been playing a lot, so I'll most likely be on if you want to chat. XP

This is exactly where I would be without Borderlands 2.
As much as I loved it my WoW days are behind me- feed me something new!  Blizzard cinematics > all

Chris Brady

OK.  Confession.  The Pokemon battles in game are actually a lot of fun.  Which is good cuz that's all I have left for my warrior.

Tamhansen

Pokemon, FarmVille, Kung fu panda. Wonder what they'll think up next. Dr Phil?

Now mind you, if doctor Phil was a raid boss, I might actually play again.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Chris Brady

As long as it has a relevance to pop culture they'll put it in.  I just wish they would be a little more subtle/clever with it.

SinXAzgard21

Chris Brady

So the rumours were right?  Interesting, but ultimately, we all knew that this is Thrall's story after all.

Aiden

I think the era of Thrall is over, at least I would prefer id he did not return.

I want to see Voljin or Cairne take the mantle of the Horde War Chief

5.1 and the book released with it, looks interesting.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on October 16, 2012, 05:09:33 PM
I think the era of Thrall is over, at least I would prefer id he did not return.

I want to see Voljin or Cairne take the mantle of the Horde War Chief

5.1 and the book released with it, looks interesting.

Personally.. I don't care who becomes War Chief.. so long as it's Voljin in the end who evens the score and his friend's murder.

SinXAzgard21

Honestly I for see the Horde falling apart, I doubt that Varian is just going to scatter the Orcs and call it a day.

Question Mark

I don't play, and probably won't again, but I still care about the story.  Honestly now, if the sin'dorei broke off and became a neutral faction that can choose to go Horde or Alliance a la Pandaren, I'd be fucking amazed.  Same for Dalaran going (rightfully) Alliance, or any of the other former Alliance factions that have strayed into neutral territory against all logic or practicality.

Callie Del Noire

Well right now.. I think (Alliance side) the Dwarves are teetering on civil war.. the King's daughter is going to make a power grab for her child and I don't think the Ironforge or Wildhammers are going to simply step aside for that.

The gnomes are still rebuilding..and let's be honest.. they were closer to any other species to being wiped out that any other Alliance faction since the first attacks of the horde. Gnomer was home to almost ALL gnomes.. and it was said that something like 70% of the species are dead or Lepergnomes.

The Alliance has problems. Serious problems.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 16, 2012, 08:12:34 PM
Well right now.. I think (Alliance side) the Dwarves are teetering on civil war.. the King's daughter is going to make a power grab for her child and I don't think the Ironforge or Wildhammers are going to simply step aside for that.

Yes, and she'll drag all of the Alliance into it.  Why?  She's a SARGERAS WORSHIPER!  A member of the BURNING LEGION!  All the Shadowforge Dwarf splinter are.  In the end, it means that she, and her spawn, have to die.  But no one on the dev team will have the guts to do that.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 16, 2012, 08:12:34 PMThe gnomes are still rebuilding..and let's be honest.. they were closer to any other species to being wiped out that any other Alliance faction since the first attacks of the horde. Gnomer was home to almost ALL gnomes.. and it was said that something like 70% of the species are dead or Lepergnomes.
Which THEY caused by nuking their home.  And STILL didn't kick out the Troggs.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 16, 2012, 08:12:34 PMThe Alliance has problems. Serious problems.
Sadly, those problems were there 8 years ago.  In fact, those problems NEVER changed in those 8 years.  They just got worse.

Why?  Because Metzen loves his Horde so much.

I'm pretty sure we'll see the return of Green Jesus as a friend calls him, as Warchief.

Trystia

It's funny, part of why I'm signing up for Elliquiy is to get away from WoW. I've taken so many breaks from this overly addictive drug over the years, but keep coming back, and MoP sucked me in a bit too hard, with all the tons of stuff to do. I've somehow managed to pass the 14k achievement point mark, and I'm suddenly wondering why I'm spending so much time on stuff like farming and rare hunting, and have barely even touched the dungeons or raids. Maybe some time away will give me more perspective again.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trystia on October 18, 2012, 12:32:25 PM
It's funny, part of why I'm signing up for Elliquiy is to get away from WoW. I've taken so many breaks from this overly addictive drug over the years, but keep coming back, and MoP sucked me in a bit too hard, with all the tons of stuff to do. I've somehow managed to pass the 14k achievement point mark, and I'm suddenly wondering why I'm spending so much time on stuff like farming and rare hunting, and have barely even touched the dungeons or raids. Maybe some time away will give me more perspective again.

I remember having a LOT more points than I have now.. (thank you Blizz for redacting so many of my achievements to Feats of Strength)

Trystia

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 18, 2012, 12:45:07 PM
I remember having a LOT more points than I have now.. (thank you Blizz for redacting so many of my achievements to Feats of Strength)

Yeah, I kept getting upset about the exact same thing, as well as getting upset when they removed the ability to gain Shen'dralar reputation before I managed to max it out, but then I took a long 5 month break and stopped caring. Right now, I just need a long enough break to stop feeling the need to obsessively complete all these tons of daily quests and farming things and such every day, especially when I'm putting in 10-12 hours of work each day, meaning I often have to cut into either eating or sleep to get everything done.

Aiden

It's all about that moderation, well I can' t really preach it since I have been sick all week and had lots of play time lately.

You aren't supposed to do all 49 in a day, I guess some people do. I am only doing it on once character and letting the rest gear up via dungeons and LFR, I don't care if my upcoming alts (which are weeks away, since I am in no rush) are not in rev shadopan, kalaxxi, epics.

I did recently hit exalted with tillers and Cloud serpent, having the cloud serpents is pretty awesome.

I'm a mount collector, I am 18 away from 150.

Faust

Quote from: Aiden on October 18, 2012, 07:14:29 PM

I did recently hit exalted with tillers and Cloud serpent, having the cloud serpents is pretty awesome.

Is it? They constantly move around... all the fucking time. I like the design of them, it´s awesome, but that one thing just bugs me so much xD
I guess I´m just a fan of the original european-styled dragons :P

As to the topic of Pandaria in general. Initially (and after seeing that trailer - yes, I think it´s bad) I was afraid that the game will be too dumbed down and simplified, to attract a younger audience, get Blizzard more subscribers and thus also more money.

I feel I was partially right here... Some of the game´s aspects are just too childish - for example the bouncy happy cartoonish pandaren, or the new "battle pet" (cough, pokemon, cough) system. But I can avoid that rather easily - I don´t have a Pandaren, I´m not trying to "catch them all" and I avoid pet battles like the plague.
But on the other hand I like the instances, the boss encounters and the overall changes of graphics for the better.

So overall... meh, could have been better, could have been worse.

TheGlyphstone

People complain about the happy childish pandas, but in overall retrospect, I'd rather they got rid of the emo space goats first. At least Pandarens existed in the lore (albeit as an intended April Fool's joke that got completely out of control), rather than the shoehorned retcon mishmash of Draenei that were basically created from whole cloth just to give Burning Crusade an Alliance race paired against the Blood Elves.

They've got no excuse for the Pokemon battles though.

Faust

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 19, 2012, 09:11:59 AM
People complain about the happy childish pandas, but in overall retrospect, I'd rather they got rid of the emo space goats first. At least Pandarens existed in the lore (albeit as an intended April Fool's joke that got completely out of control), rather than the shoehorned retcon mishmash of Draenei that were basically created from whole cloth just to give Burning Crusade an Alliance race paired against the Blood Elves.

They've got no excuse for the Pokemon battles though.

You may have misunderstood me. I have nothing agains Pandaren in general. I know they were there for a long time, even before Kung-Fu panda, and I accept it. I´m also not complaining about an expansion being dedicated to them. What I mind is the way they were portrayed. So far, the races and the conflicts were all serious (as much as a game can get), but the Pandarens just seem too happy and bouncy, compared to the other races. I think they could make a panda look a but more fierce if they wanted to.

And what I don´t get... modelling pandaria pandas after red pandas? Red pandas are more racoons than pandas... :/

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Shockz on October 19, 2012, 10:23:44 AM
You may have misunderstood me. I have nothing agains Pandaren in general. I know they were there for a long time, even before Kung-Fu panda, and I accept it. I´m also not complaining about an expansion being dedicated to them. What I mind is the way they were portrayed. So far, the races and the conflicts were all serious (as much as a game can get), but the Pandarens just seem too happy and bouncy, compared to the other races. I think they could make a panda look a but more fierce if they wanted to.

And what I don´t get... modelling pandaria pandas after red pandas? Red pandas are more racoons than pandas... :/

That wasn't really directed at you specifically, but the general ' Lol Kung Fu Panda Blizzard ruined WoW for teh kiddies and casuals' sentiment that proliferates.

Though as far as the happy and bouncy nature goes, I'm willing to hold off judgement on Blizzard for that, because the rumors/hints are that it's going to change - one of the big themes of MoP is supposedly how the Alliance-Horde war is basically going to ruin the crap out of Pandaria - if they do it right, that happy-bouncy nature actually becomes important in an 'Innocence Lost' type of way. If they botch it, though...

Trystia

Regarding Pandaren, Draenei, etc... I will proudly admit that the race I wish I could play in game is the Tuskarr.

TheGlyphstone

SinXAzgard21

Question Mark

Draenei are my all time favorite race.  They have the best animations (with the exception on male night elves), the best theme (I'm a huge fan of the whole walking in the light, eternal war against the Legion, pious and pure thing they've got going), and some of the most interesting lore.

I just wish they'd DO something.  At least the BElves are getting exposure in 5.1.  Now if only the Draenei could too.  :(

Quote from: Trystia on October 19, 2012, 12:23:40 PM
Regarding Pandaren, Draenei, etc... I will proudly admit that the race I wish I could play in game is the Tuskarr.

Theory of a Death Knight Wants to be a Tuskarr

Chris Brady

FYI, I have NOTHING against furry races, I don't mind the Tauren, I have a Worgen Warrior (yeah, I know a theme I beat to death, but at least the class gives me the big sticks to do it with.  ;D), I'm more against shoehorning in a new race of Oriental and Martial Artists into a primarily Western setting.

I mean, I love Kung Fu Panda, Po is really cool, but...

You know, the more I think on it, the more I think that one of the planets in BC's sky (go and check Hellfire Pennisula's skyline, just go through the portal and look up) could have been better used for it.  THEN, I don't think I'll have that much of a problem.  And WoW is kinda lucky for MMO spaces.  I mean, most fantasy stories have a middle and end, very few have mutliple protagonists that operate at the same time.

Star Wars is the only other universe out there that can do MMOs, mainly because it's not limited to one planet (which only has so much space for exploring and cultures) and over the last 40+ years has had a lot of material (most of which is canon) and heroes and places to explore and see.

World of Warcraft managed to escape that by having Draenor available.  Not to mention the Time Stream that the Bronze Dragons protect, and the Emerald Dream.  They also have two separate 'big baddies' that they haven't completely tackled yet:  The Pantheon (not so much bad guys, as factions and interests) and The Burning Legion.  Hell, the BL has been a running theme through out the entire series.

They corrupted the Orcs, they created the Scourge, Sargeras (a former Pantheon groupie) is one of theirs, not to mention the mess they left behind in various times of Azeroth's history.

So much potential!

TheGlyphstone

Be honest, you've already got steampunk/electric/nuclear technology alongside rather blatantly ripped-off Native American symbology alongside Medieval European knights/castles/wizards alongside neo-gothic punk alongside some New Age crystals alongside awful Jamaican stereotypes alongside Tolkein elves in purple face paint. Adding in Oriental trappings and martial arts isn't really diluting the setting any more than it already has been.

Trystia

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 20, 2012, 04:02:57 AM
I'm more against shoehorning in a new race of Oriental and Martial Artists into a primarily Western setting.

Except, Azeroth is an entire planet. Pandaria is an entire continent. Why is it an issue to people that there would be an entirely different culture present there? Pandaria is supposed to have been isolated from the rest of the world for over ten thousand years, which is far longer than it took to develop distinct cultures here on Earth.

Question Mark

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 20, 2012, 09:16:18 AM
Be honest, you've already got steampunk/electric/nuclear technology alongside rather blatantly ripped-off Native American symbology alongside Medieval European knights/castles/wizards alongside neo-gothic punk alongside some New Age crystals alongside awful Jamaican stereotypes alongside Tolkein elves in purple face paint. Adding in Oriental trappings and martial arts isn't really diluting the setting any more than it already has been.

All those characeristics makes the setting unique, and sets it apart from the typical fantasy genre.  There's been an unfortunate trend that started in Wrath: homogenous ripoffs of cultural cliches with little or no effort to make them unique or believable within the universe.  It started with the vrykul, which ripped off the Barbaric Nordic Viking cliche.  Then Cata introduced a whole load of bullshit, like Uldum (Egypt and Indiana Jones), Gilneas (Industrial England, complete with tophats and accents), Twilight Highlands (Scotland), and Kezan (ridiculously over the top parody of American consumerism).  And then Pandaria takes the cake with an entire expansion based off of the Western Stereotype of Feudal China, complete with anthropomorphic pandas.

They're either scraping the bottom of the creativity or just not bothing to invest the effort into creating unique areas/races that not only fit within the universe's themes but also can stand on their own without being called "China/Scotland/Egypt/Vikings/Cockney in WoW!"  Or maybe they're just doing both.  Regardless, the blatant thematic ripoffs have absolutely killed my suspension of disbelief (I don't see Pandaria, I see China).

It can be argued (and has been many times) that this is nothing new, after all WoW has moomen!  It's a false comparison.  Tauren are a new and interesting take on the traditional fantasy minotaur.  Same with trolls and voodoo/Africana, dwarves and archeology/gryphons/shamanism, night elves and their unique fusion of Japanese and Indo-Asian aesthetic, and so on.  It was that unique aesthetic that drew me to WoW, and it's the abandoning of that unique aesthetic that has driven me away.

Blizzard is a corporation now, not a video game company.  They're focused on making money over making good games.  If they can reap in the cash with shoddy storytelling, asinine pop culture references, and lazy ripoffs, then why invest the extra effort to restore the game's authenticity?  It's that careless treatment of the universe I love that made me quit WoW.

If this is what I can expect from Blizzard now, fuck 'em.

SinXAzgard21

Cool then I guess we can end the age old discussion of how Blizzard is just out to make money and how Pandas are not allowed and you can't argue about the spacegoats because they where in game first. 

So anyone playing a Monk and using the buff notice it is bugged out and lasting at least 30 minutes longer?

Question Mark

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 20, 2012, 02:54:07 PM
Cool then I guess we can end the age old discussion of how Blizzard is just out to make money and how Pandas are not allowed and you can't argue about the spacegoats because they where in game first.

My problem isn't with the pandaren (they've been established in the lore since 2001), but with the way Blizz handled them.  So much potential, but nope, China funland is what we got.

You can argue about draenei until the cows home, but I believe they are one of Blizz's best creations.  Not because they were there first, but because they were handled properly: rich history, unique aesthetic, interesting elements from several IRL sources (gypsies, Arab, dab of Mongolian, etc.), and nice cohesion with the Warcraft universe.

Chris Brady

Question Mark makes a good point.  Most of the races are a mishmash of cultural of references that are melded from several differing sources, except the Panderan, and one could argue the Gilneans.  Although the Druidic touch was cute.

SinXAzgard21

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 21, 2012, 12:32:10 AM
Question Mark makes a good point.  Most of the races are a mishmash of cultural of references that are melded from several differing sources, except the Panderan, and one could argue the Gilneans.  Although the Druidic touch was cute.

Well, they originally wore Samurai armor, but the Chinese screamed bloody murder and the visuals got changed. My 'dream Pandarens' are a mismash of multiple Asian cultures.

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 21, 2012, 10:27:20 AM
Well, they originally wore Samurai armor, but the Chinese screamed bloody murder and the visuals got changed. My 'dream Pandarens' are a mismash of multiple Asian cultures.
yeah, Samwise loves his Samurai Panda, which is where the whole 'meme' started.  For those who don't know, he's the artist that always puts one in his WoW art somewhere.  Sometimes it was cleverly hidden.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Question Mark on October 21, 2012, 10:29:22 AM
Who's Rammus?

Rammus isn't important it is the way the "Okay" is meant.  Those that play LoL will understand it.

Aiden

Question Mark

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 21, 2012, 12:22:52 PM
Rammus isn't important it is the way the "Okay" is meant.  Those that play LoL will understand it.

How is okay meant?

Naiah

Quote from: Question Mark on October 20, 2012, 03:08:27 PM
My problem isn't with the pandaren (they've been established in the lore since 2001), but with the way Blizz handled them.  So much potential, but nope, China funland is what we got.

You can argue about draenei until the cows home, but I believe they are one of Blizz's best creations.  Not because they were there first, but because they were handled properly: rich history, unique aesthetic, interesting elements from several IRL sources (gypsies, Arab, dab of Mongolian, etc.), and nice cohesion with the Warcraft universe.

So agree, granted I didnt know about the Pandas being in the lore for so long, but damn, did they have to make it so Kung Fu Panda? I mean its like they dumbed it down to appease the really young kids. Far too cutesie for me. Dang give us badass Valkyr's any day!

Aiden

I don't understand where all the "cutesy" come from, the Panderans have some pretty awesome factions within the game.

The Shado Pan, the uprising against the Mogu, the eternal war with the Klaxxi. I love the scenery and the feel you get from Panderia.

Naiah

The actual Pandas, far too cutesy. Many of the quests are silly too. Granted funny, but just adds to them being too cute. All the frigging BUNNIES! Wtf is up with the rabid BUNNIES!? Arggh..

Arohk

I think they are portrayed ridiculously in the regard that they are severe alcoholics.

First major town you get to in the Jade Forest? 10 different booze vendors.

Defensive skill along with some other skills in a Pandaren character's Spellbook? Has booze.

Instance? Brewery.

Not to mention the COUNTLESS barrels of booze and everything else pertaining EVERYWHERE.

I appreciate things having adult flavor and having the bravery to put alcohol into the game, but GOOD GOD. That is more booze than I have EVER seen throughout my 6 years of playing the MMO. As far as I am concerned, along with them being a horrible design choice, they are a bunch of filthy drunks.

Naiah

Arohk

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Arohk on November 05, 2012, 07:21:00 PM
Well, they are! :P

Which is why they like to hang out in Ironforge with the Dwarfs! Aye!

Naiah

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 05, 2012, 08:43:54 PM
Which is why they like to hang out in Ironforge with the Dwarfs! Aye!

I dunno, I mean, when was the last time you saw 90% of the Dwarven lands nothing but breweries?  Arohk has a point, the Pandas are nothing but drunks!

Naiah

Prolly why they have the 50% reduced falling damage! Damn drunks...

Arohk

The revolution has begun! Inform the media!

To mention, isn't the tank class of Monk called Brewmaster? Yep. Rest my case.

Also, this topic is now making me laugh pretty hard. Awesome. XD

Aiden

And the Brewmaster does drunken kungfu, I love seeing my panda monk swagger around in a dungeon.

Chris Brady

Might pick up the 10 day Pandaland trial, see about makin' a Monk, see what they've changed from early beta.

Arohk

Personally I don't think it's worth it. Unless you have a good group to Raid with and whatnot, it's very boring. I am lucky I have a good group. But PvP is rather broken and there are really only Dailies to do. Unless you like Pokemon Pet Battles.

The most fun I have had so far is in Heart of Fear, the new Raid that was out last week. Calls me back to fond times of Raiding instead of the gimmicky crap they put out for Vaults. Just my opinion, of course. But I am having legit fun in the new Raid.

Chris Brady

Arohk

I love the Pokemon games. I just don't want it in my WoW. To me, it's like mixing mayonnaise and chocolate ice cream. Blech.

Naiah

Daaaailies.. omg sooo many frigging daaailies..

Arohk

I'm thankfully Exalted in most of the new ones now... It's just Shado-Pan that really is giving me problems. As a Resto Druid I find them incredibly annoying. It's the only ones that have really given me pause to do them. It's the only one besides August Celestials that I need. My August Celestials is almost done though.

Naiah

I gave up and stopped playing almost all together as I joined here :P So I will have so many to do if I ever go back :P

Chris Brady

Like I said, I will not buy this expansion.  Ever.

Naiah

Yea dont blame you, for the first time ever I am considering stopping the subscription, but meh, dunno..

Chris Brady

I still play, only because I have to.  I got the one year sub for Diablo 3.  Which, although, yes, it's not worth the 60 retail (40?  Yeah) it's still a fun game to play.

Naiah

Yea did the same, but for the mount :P Was a bit pissed as Diablo was just like WoW in so many ways, I dont neeed more quests! I dont neeed to kill zombies, I already aaam killing shit :P

Aiden

You guys sounds like the battered spouses of Blizzard group.

I'm having a blast with Panderia, yea I have dailies to do and in order to finish the story line you need to reach certain reputation points but it is like any other game.

You can't start a game and get to the end right away, you need to put in time.

Some of the dailies are super fun, like the training in the tiger temple. Well i won't go into detail since you guys won't ever play it.

And you don't HAVE to play even if you got a full year of wow from the annual pass, just let it rot away if wow is so "evil".

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Naiah on November 07, 2012, 02:25:30 PM
Yea did the same, but for the mount :P Was a bit pissed as Diablo was just like WoW in so many ways, I dont neeed more quests! I dont neeed to kill zombies, I already aaam killing shit :P

Technically WoW is like Diablo, the Big D (and D2) came first...D2 had an extensive quest system.

Naiah

Ya and I was hoping it wasnt! (Diablo that is)

And Aiden I do like some of it, just this time around, so much more less than f.ex when Lich King came out. The Pandas are just not doing it for me :P I like the more badass characters I guess..

Chris Brady

Aiden, I don't hate WoW.  I don't hate Panderia.  I don't feel ANYTHING about it.  It just...  Is.  And I'm actually having a LOT of fun with Diablo 3.  Just the combat feels awesome, it's cool to watch the Barbarian literally throw his/her opponents around the battlefield.  But Panderia...  Eh.

NightRabbit

Quote from: Silverfyre on August 16, 2012, 03:14:41 PM
Man, the trailer for "Kung Fu Panda 3: Fantasy Island" look awesome!

+1, Po has truly become the Dragon Warrior! o.o

I was wondering when and why Dreamworks had teamed up with the WoW folks. Now I know... :P
In all seriousness though, did Blizzard intend for this to mirror the movies so closely or was it just a coincidence?

Chris Brady

Quote from: NightRabbit on November 08, 2012, 01:00:27 AM
+1, Po has truly become the Dragon Warrior! o.o

I was wondering when and why Dreamworks had teamed up with the WoW folks. Now I know... :P
In all seriousness though, did Blizzard intend for this to mirror the movies so closely or was it just a coincidence?
Honestly, Blizzard has always been in touch with pop-culture, so I'm pretty it had something to do with that.  Secondly, they couldn't do Samwise's Samurai Panda schtick because China flipped its collective nut when their 'national' animal was depicted as anything but Chinese, third Warcraft 3, The Frozen Throne had a 'brew master' Hero, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

At the same time, I'm still reeling from the dullness that was Cataclysm.