Way of the Samurai 4 opinions?

Started by Florence, February 06, 2014, 05:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

I know this is a long shot, since most people don't even know this series, but I'm contemplating buying 4 for $30 off the Playstation store, and I'm wondering if anyone's played it and can weigh in opinions.

Way of the Samurai was one of my all time favorite games for the PS2, and I STILL love going back and playing it again from time to time, but its hard to deny that there's only so much to do in it, and after years of playing it, its only really fun in small doses anymore.

Way of the Samurai 2 was... eh. I barely played it, honestly. I did love Kyojiro, though.
http://download.gamespotcdn.net/d4/user_images/901/images_2.jpg

Way of the Samurai 3 got me back into the series. It wasn't perfect, but it was really fun, and I liked how it had the OPTION of being all silly and goofy, but it also gave you the option of playing the game straight and serious if you preferred.

This is where my worries with 4 come in... a lot of what I've seen in trailers and screenshots seem to emphasize the 'silly goofy' aspect of it. It almost feels like the series is pulling a Saints Row, and just getting goofier with each installment. I love Saints Row 2, 3 and 4, but I loved Way of the Samurai for the dramatic storyline.

For anyone who hasn't played it, Way of the Samurai 1 only takes maybe an hour to a few hours to beat, but with multiple endings based on the choices you make, unlockable outfits and heads for the player character, the ability to collect swords to use in future playthroughs, etc. it has a strong replay value. Still, I loved that in the short time you had with the characters of that setting, the game really got you to like some of them.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The Akadama Clan ending, man. The feels. Especially if you've kept Chelsea alive up to that point.

So. To anyone who HASN'T played these games yet... and wants to now check them out... wooo! They're really great, especially if you're interested in Japanese history, enjoy games that give you some freedom to roleplay, or just love samurai swordfighting. The first game is set in the aftermath of the Boshin War; around the same time period as the anime Rorouni Kenshin. I can't recall when the second is set, except that it takes place before the Boshin War, as there's still a Shogun. The third game takes place in the Sengoku period, aka. the Warring States period, which is the setting of... well, tons and tons and tons of stuff. If it involves feudal warlords fighting for control of Japan, it almost definitely takes place in the Sengoku period. The fourth, which I haven't played yet, takes place in the time leading up to the Boshin War.

NOW, to anyone who HAS played these games, and particularly has played 4. Can anyone tell me if its worth playing, particularly for one who would like more than "Saints Row: Samurai Edition". Is there any more to this game than the silliness, or am I better off passing this game up, and maybe just replaying my copy of 3 a few times.

EDIT: To clarify, for anyone who may be interested in these games; 1 and 2 are on the PS2, while 3 is on the PS3 and 360, and 4 is a PS3 exclusive.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Shjade

...they made more than one of these?

Man, I remember crushing Way of the Samurai a few years back, but that game was...well. I don't want to say it was "bad," because it did hold my interest sufficiently to unlock all the endings and player ranks/titles, but it's...what's a more accurate term...it's broken. Like, broken as fuck. Some of the swords are just so stupidly powerful that all you really need to do is collect a couple of those (in case you break one in the middle of a fight) and then just do whatever the hell you want since nothing can stop you. Even at max difficulty all you have to do is bait out a bad parry and sword someone in the face, even the "boss" characters.

Suffice it to say that, as far as a "samurai" game, I found it lacking. Fun for comedy, really monotonous fights at higher difficulties depending on which story paths you choose (the more soldiers you have to fight, the more you are likely to hate life and regret everything, as they are a pain in the ass to kill with their spam defense all day).

So I'm kinda surprised to hear it was successful enough to merit a sequel, much less a series.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Drake Valentine

Not sure if you went ahead and bought it, just noticed this thread. Anywho.

I have bought it long time ago when it was released, I think it was out before last year(wasn't it) on PSN?

To me, 4 was a better game compared to the other Way of the Samurai games.

The Good:
You can create your own swordsmanship when you unlock the dojo,
You can use unarmed/reverse blade styles to not kill opponents.
Has an interesting amount of factions, I believe you can side with four groups in this game. Key word, believe. It has been awhile since I played it.
There is a ninja sword skills..
There is dual blade sword skills.. (Bad ass, but the hardest to unlock)
Of course there is also gun skills and staff? Guns never seem that amazing, I actually think there is only one set for the pistol, could be mistaken.
The fighting has been improved and has a new special attribute to it. Not sure how to properly explain the mechanic, basically you go into some uber mode and slain enemies all fall at once with the dude or girl sheathing his/her sword. Different weapons have different sheathing.
I think the game possesses at least eight endings, there could be more.
Your gear carries over, but I believe only if you live. Of course I do believe that you also keep stuff you store in the dojo you unlock.
You can recruit students for your dojo and people will challenge it from time to time. Be forewarn, harder difficulties some of them opponents are ridiculous to fight.
You can purchase variety of outfits in town and I believe they carry over or should anyways. Also clearing game gives you points for other unlockables as did with the other Samurai games.
Some interesting characters.

The Bad:
Mainly is time wise,  Way of Samurai I was one day, II, two days, III three days. IV, who would guess, four days. (The good news is, however, time only moves forward after events and they go from morning, noon, and night. So technically you have 12 variations of things to do if you don't trigger an event.)
Gun users are pretty cheap and the game can get harder on some routes when you find yourself swarmed with cannonfire or unable to save certain people. Also, certain things you do can lead to a bad end/gameover.
The jump command is still pretty cheesy.
The map isn't exactly that large over all. I mean, it is bigger- I guess- than the other games, but still feels a bit lacking compared to a PS3 title.
Night prowling seems corny as much as the minigame to it does. ;\

Unsure on:
I can't remember if they have voice(sub) or if it was dialogue. I think they talked. Then again I bought the game when it came out whenever long ago and played it for few months, till I got all endings and stopped.

My Overall rating to it: 7.5 out of 10.

If you liked the other Way of Samurai games then you would likely enjoy this one, I did and I didn't like the first two, three was better but was still lacking. This game was an improvement but still lacked polishing in certain areas.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Vanity Evolved

It's worth it just for how hilariously odd the game is. DELICIOUS TIME!