Hmm...apparently Katy Perry's cleavage was too much for Sesame Street.

Started by Wolfy, September 23, 2010, 10:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Not sure if this should go here or somewhere else, soo...

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16156441?nclick_check=1

and the clip in question that was taken from the upcoming "Season"

Katy Perry- Hot N Cold with Elmo on Sesame Street

Apparently this clip was released onto youtube, and parents became outraged at her exposed cleavage...thus her appearence has been pulled.

What do you think, Elliquiy? Many of you are parents, some with young children...seeing the clip, what are your thoughts of this..outrage? Should people even be outraged over it? or should it have been censored/pulled at all?

Hmm....

(The lower half of the article talks about something that, as far as I know, is unrelated..soo..)

Chevalier des Poissons

I don't understand why.

What is wrong to such "cleavage" be exposed to kids who don't even understand the word ''cleavage'?
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Wolfy

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on September 23, 2010, 10:30:38 PM
I don't understand why.

What is wrong to such "cleavage" be exposed to kids who don't even understand the word ''cleavage'?

...*shrugs* O-o..I'm not a parent, so..I guess I have a lesser view on it..but..I don't see what's wrong..it's not like children don't see cleavage all the time on other channels and in real life..<_<

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Wolfy on September 23, 2010, 10:32:51 PM
...*shrugs* O-o..I'm not a parent, so..I guess I have a lesser view on it..but..I don't see what's wrong..it's not like children don't see cleavage all the time on other channels and in real life..<_<

That kind of thing makes me clash with my brother all the time. He has two kids (three, actually, but the elder one is from 19 years ago. Well, complication).

Me, him and our other 2 brothers were raised with insanity. We had all sort of weapon toys, and we played swordfighting without actual fighting. We grew up with fighting games and violent sports all around, and that didn't make us violent. Now he has his kids, and doesn't want them to even begin to think about toy-weapons, for they can become violent and aggressive.

In both cases, my brother's and this news, I blatantly define that as hipocrisy. Pure hipocrisy. We were all kids before. When I was 4 I used to find disgusting the idea of grabbing a woman's butt. That is just a cleavage, in a show that kids watch for fun. They won't ever notice it, and even if they do, they won't understand unless someone teaches and points that to them. This is just something people are doing for whatever reasons they have.

A & A

Jude

I think she's definitely dressed too immodestly for a kid's show.  I don't want to watch something with my daughter that gives me an erection :|

On a side note, I didn't know she was so hot.  Win.

EDIT:  On second thought, she's not that attractive.  I want my 30 seconds back.  By the way, what's with the gratuitous closeups of her thighs?

EDIT2:  OK, watched further?  Bounce.  Bounce... bounce.............

Wolfy

Quote from: Jude on September 23, 2010, 10:48:26 PM
I think she's definitely dressed too immodestly for a kid's show.  I don't want to watch something with my daughter that gives me an erection :|

On a side note, I didn't know she was so hot.  Win.

You should see how she dresses normally on stage. O-o What she's wearing there is tame.

Jude

You should dig up some photos Wolfy, I think that's relevant to this discussion.  I need to see for purposes of comparison.

Lilias

Definitely an overreaction. That's not even skin showing - it's a panel of sheer material. Go watch some figureskating or rhythmic gymnastics competitions, to see the technique in all its glory. If it had been a nobody without Katy Perry's 'reputation', there wouldn't be a batted eyelid in the house.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trieste

Preeeetty much. You see more than that walking down the street. What are these moms going to do, blindfold their kids?

Purely for the purposes of Jude's science, I present Katy Perry in concert.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

And, just for fun.

Serephino

I may not be a parent, but I still think this is ridiculous.  The age group that this show targets doesn't think in sexual terms... I don't think...  I did, but I don't think I was normal.  But I don't think even my warped mind would have thought anything of that.  Every woman has breasts, whether covered up or showing a little.  Kids don't really think much about it.  Those parents that have little girls better steer clear of Barbie too.  You can take her clothes of and... *gasp*  she's got naked boobies!   

kylie

I can do the green, and I know one wants some ventilation when pursuing energetic furry characters across the city on foot...  But okay, who picked this outfit anyway...

How many veils do they have on Sesame these days?  I know it's all very medieval fairytale-ish, but I just have a sneaking suspicion that these days, the reference to marriage didn't help her reception.  Talk about stuff that family values people try to claim as "theirs."  She's singing a tune with an adult version all about fickleness and uncertainty in relationships, and doing a childish version that isn't much more trusting, while wearing what some regard as a symbol of endless sacrifice and fidelity.  Combine that with: 

From what I could see in Trieste's exhibit gallery, I happen to think her stage outfits actually fit her much better.  Most of them also have more surface coverage up top (tight or not), but that isn't so much what I notice here.  I mean, little tapered triangle points on a straight garment do not exactly "highlight" substantial bustlines so much as dangle precariously under half of them.

I'm not talking about cleavage; it's more the showing of the entire tops and hinting that one pull down the outside might just do the trick.  C'mon non-con roleplayers, let's be fair and admit the clothing censors just might be following a certain logic here:  Wouldn't she look quite tempting wearing that in an adult version of Labyrinth or some other monstrous pursuit scene?  Although I imagine her reputation for songs about gender violations and precarious relationships had something to do with it, you can also lose a point simply for unlikely garment fit. 

Not a parent; also skeptical that kids (edit: honestly well, not all kids) would think of any of this...  But it isn't the Sesame target-age kids writing in and protesting.

MasterMischief

I can kind of see where the parents are coming from, but I do think it was a bit of an over-reaction.

I should like to go on the record as saying Katy is hot.

Atta

I have two toddlers who love Sesame Street and I personally am not concerned. One, they definitely see far more than that now that we live in Europe. Two, they probably saw more than that in parts of shows I watch. Three, They dont view it sexually as I or another adult may.
"It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives." -Anonymous

Will

Firstly, as to the Katy Perry hot/not issue... Her face is so incredibly forgettable, and the rest of her isn't much better.  She has nice legs; that's about it for me.

As to the main topic, I really can't see what the uproar is about either.  You're not even looking at skin there; as Lilias said, it's just sheer fabric.  Does she look ridiculous and trashy?  You bet she does.  I can't imagine the thought process behind picking that awful dress to wear, but it isn't obscene in my opinion.  Just fugly.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Trieste

I personally think the "Is Katy Perry hot or not" thing is a little gross, and more than a little disturbing.

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Trieste on September 25, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
I personally think the "Is Katy Perry hot or not" thing is a little gross, and more than a little disturbing.

Why is that?

A & A

Trieste

Because she is one of the few celebrities that is not a twig, has curves, and dresses the way she damn well pleases.

And yet "oh, she's forgettable". Pfft.

MasterMischief

Will

Quote from: Trieste on September 25, 2010, 06:25:14 PM
Because she is one of the few celebrities that is not a twig, has curves, and dresses the way she damn well pleases.

And yet "oh, she's forgettable". Pfft.

I said her face is forgettable, and it is for me.  She looks just like any number of skanky girls I've seen in my life.  And curves?  Seriously?  We must have different ideas of what constitutes curves.

I didn't realize it was gross or disturbing to judge the hotness of a celebrity; I have a hard time believing you've never done it.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Trieste

* Trieste wasn't aiming specifically at Will, apologizes if it seemed that way.

There's a difference between "Eh, not my thing" (like, I'm not at all interested in Rihanna) and going "ugh, she's gross" or something like that. There's a difference between "not interested" and "wow, she's not hot". It's really harsh, and considering that the majority of guys will say things like "I notice eyes before boobs" and "She has to have a great smile" - and then comparing it to the number of people who have actually seen a celebrity up close - it's just damned disheartening.

And that's all I have to say about that. /Forest

Doomsday

Quote from: Trieste on September 25, 2010, 06:15:07 PM

The obvious answer is that she is incredibly hot :D

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: MasterMischief on September 25, 2010, 06:26:23 PM
Come, now, T.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

(2)

I reserve myself the right to blatantly say "Meh, she's ugly" or "Oh, she is hot".

A & A