Who's your favorite comic book character

Started by AtlasEros, January 04, 2011, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlasEros

Now, I'll admit that I'm not a really knowledgable comic book guy, as most of my info comes from the live action & animated movies, instead of the comic books.  My favorite character is Lex Luthor.  Especially from the animated movies or shows were Clancy Brown, better known as Brother Justin or Kurgan from the first Highlander, voiced Luthor.

Who's your favorite & why?  Feel free to use characters from any genre.
O/O

DarklingAlice

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DarklingAlice on January 04, 2011, 07:07:38 PM

Good one.. the evil ole bastard himself. (Used him in my oWoD Mage game..he'd show up and the players would go 'oh shit')

None of them had read Hellblazer till I told them about him. Then they started and got scared at some of the tricks he did.

Sabby

I don't really know many... my only exposure to comics is through movies and video games. Played through a lot of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, so saw a good number of them. There was some girl coated in a shell of magenta energy who used music as her power, flying on butterfly wings of sound waves and sending screaming shockwaves. Forget her name, but was pretty neat.

Luke Cage also stood out, but mostly for his attacks, instead of being an awesome character... uppercutting robots right out of the screen and bringing down a chain like a whip.

Only other guy who stood out for me was Gambit. I have a soft spot the 'crafty guy' in a cloak with a staff. always liked the ones who were kind of smart in combat, tossing out traps or bombs with a flick from the sleeve during mid combat, instead of just wailing into you.

KikuLei

Bentley

The Vic Sage version of The Question. I'm no expert at comics either but he got me into them. Really wish something else had happened during 52.

mcontroller

It varies for me.  When I was a kid it was Wolverine, or a tie between Wolverine and Nightcrawler.  Then Wolverine became over saturated and Nightcrawler became a priest, so that ruined both of them IMO.

These days my favorite is Conan.  Conan is a classic and never gets old, and the current Dark Horse comics have done an admirable job both adapting the classic stories and creating decent original bridge stories between them.  Conan.  Women want him, men want to be him. :D

HairyHeretic

Growing up, probably Rogue Trooper, frpm 2000AD

When I started reading the DC / Marvel stuff, Th' Main Man, Lobo.

After Lobo finished up, Nikolai Dante, again from 2000AD, and most recently, Deadpool, though I'm just starting on him.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

I was never that big a fan of comics, as they're not really as readily available here. But the choice is easy. Batman. V is probably a close second.

Callie Del Noire

Right now, Atomic Robo is my big favorite. The Ultimate Marvel setting (small enough I can follow everything, even though the Ultimates seem to be riding their own little 'altverse in and altverse' bit)

Best line I think in both the original run and current run of Ultimate Marvel setting.

"Goodbye Eric... say hello to the Dodo." Charles Xavier Ultimate style was a Machiavellian S.O.B.

Lilias

Lucretia, from Arkas' Castrato. A feline foundling who had the (bad) luck to be taken in by an old lady who never goes out, and share space with Castrato, who is happy with his mistress, her music, and his generous food allowance. What is there left for a frustrated pussy who only wants to get royally laid to do but deliver real bitch lines in every other frame? (Only in Greek so far, but priceless.)

If we move to more human and globally known ones, it's Elektra (on her own spinoff series - I can't stress that enough) and Sara 'Witchblade' Pezzini. No live action feature has even come close to doing them justice.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Empress Leo

I've not read many comics in my day so I don't know how much right I have to say but I must confess that the Joker is one of the most interesting characters I have ever come across. Right now, I'm making my way through all of the Star Wars comics so perhaps I will find someone who really peaks my travels through the galaxies George Lucas has inspired.
"The key to leadership is yelling."

Ons & Offs

BenedictWolfe

Callie Del Noire

ThePrince

I could talk about how his battles are not just with fist but with ideals. I could explain how he is a character from another time trying to show that would he believed then is still true now.

But I'll just say that when the local school board and bigoted parents went after the local gay kids. When they said that allowing a "gay club" would open the door to prostitution and drugs. I stood up to them and said that they where wrong, when they laughed at me I used that quote. They stopped laughing.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Callie Del Noire

You know that is one of the only good scenes in the Civil War setting. Along with another with Cap. I honestly hated that entire story idea.

AtlasEros

Quote from: mcontroller on January 05, 2011, 07:20:32 AM
It varies for me.  When I was a kid it was Wolverine, or a tie between Wolverine and Nightcrawler.  Then Wolverine became over saturated and Nightcrawler became a priest, so that ruined both of them IMO.

These days my favorite is Conan.  Conan is a classic and never gets old, and the current Dark Horse comics have done an admirable job both adapting the classic stories and creating decent original bridge stories between them.  Conan.  Women want him, men want to be him. :D
About 2 years ago I read all of Robert E. Howards Conan stories, just great reading.
O/O

Aiden

Major Major

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the most awesome power for good in the Marvel Universe.

Miss Doreen Green

Squirrel Girl

rick957

Quote from: Aiden on January 06, 2011, 05:39:49 PM
Agrees with this.

Okay, am I the only person reading this thread who doesn't know who the heck that is?  Little help, anyone?  Pleez?  :)

Major Major

Apparently, it's Guts from the manga series Berserk

Kendra

He beat me too it lol
But yeah that's who it is ;)

my own personal favourite that has never changed though I do like many ... is the silver surfer - Norrin Radd

why? because he was always misunderstood and labeled the anti-hero when he is simply doing all he can to keep the woman he loves and his home planet safe.
wouldn't we all do the same?
;)

okay the uber hot bod has lots to do with it too lol

rick957

Yeah but isn't there something a little creepy about how well-defined and pronounced every inch of his body is ... except for that one spot down there ... :)

Guess all costumed hero-types have that problem though.

Thanks for the Berserk tip!  That makes the fourth or fifth comic reference in this thread that I didn't recognize and had to look up.  This thread is very educational, you know.  :)

Kendra

I was 13 and uber innocent when I first discovered the Surfer - he was my first step into the world of 'plenty'  >:)
never even contemplated guys could be like that, then I saw some of the women and wow ... my sexual orientation decided it would stay confused, undecided ... and pretty much still is lol

nothing creepy about him *rests chin in hands and sighs while staring adoringly at the Surfer*

*nods* extremely educational  ;)

Sabby

He look's freakish in body shape... it's like he was made from ice with a spoon, so jaggy and with every muscle and joint so pronounced... yuck. The legs are really putting me off.