Shadowrun - Backstages and Back Doors

Started by Xerial, October 24, 2006, 12:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerial

Ok... so the title could be taken wrong, I know, but hey, if it ends up involving a little wink wink, nudge nudge say no more, then, well, say no more...  ;D

So I finally got to play some tabletop Shadowrun this weekend past, and damn was is fun! So I got to thinking today, what could I do for a game... the idea:

Antonio `Vice` Vincense is a fixer without a fixed location, save for the back stages of concert venues. Under a rather lucrative (but still not lucrative enough) cover as manager to the novahot synhmetal bad Matrix Dreams Vincense operates as a roving fixer, maintaining a web of contacts around the globe. While Vincense has in the past maintained a long list of runners from which he could draw, he is looking to establish a permanent team. In order to do that he is putting out feelers looking for runners who are willing to go on tour with Matrix Dreams as road crew (experience in the music industry prefered, but not required). The team will see the Sixth World from the eyes of a rock tour, and from the shadows.

What I'm looking for: 4-6 interested players with some knowledge of the Shadowrun world. I'm not too picky on whether the game is 3rd Edition, 4th, or rules lite (with me doing a wee bit of background rolling along the way). Entusiasm for the game is of course a must, and interest characters are very much welcome.

While the game won't center on sex, as always it'll be a possibility.

Any takers?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kasen03

I do love Shadowrun games..although there hasn't been much luck with the games here.

Do you have any playertypes you're looking for? Also...how will you be doing character gen?

Ixy

Not to be non-commital, but-- mmmmmmmmmmmaybe?
I haven't played Shadowrun since the late 90s.  I still love cyberpunk.  Particularly William Gibson.
I could dig it, if I'm allowed.

Vandren

I'd be interested, probably in rules lite since I only have the core book (and I couldn't say what edition at the moment since it's partially buried).  To build off a few of hte questions, would you be looking for fresh newbie-type characters or slightly experienced characters?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Jefepato

I do love Shadowrun.

I haven't played 4th much, but all things considered, it's vastly preferable to 3rd.

Vice

I love Shadowrun. I'm cool with 3rd, 4th, or however you manage to get "rules lite" out of it. :)

I'd love to play a mage, but I figure that'll be a popular option so...decker?

GoldenChild

Wrathie

Quote from: kasen03 on October 24, 2006, 09:18:39 AM
I do love Shadowrun games..although there hasn't been much luck with the games here.

I hope you don't mean our game... *pout*
I guess it's a bit freeform to really count...
It's not paranoia when they are out to get you.
On's and Off's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4535

Brandon

Ill go ahead and show my intrest. Havnt played Shadowrun in years but sadly, I dont have rules for any of the systems now either *pouts*
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

GoldenChild

Well I have tried to start one up in the past but RL pulled me off the site and the game was forced to be put down. Shadowrun in itself is a rather hard game to keep going but I'm in two of them on Rpol that works as a charm. All hangs on the gamemaster and the players.

I have rules in pdf for those that need.

Wrathie

I suppose the biggest advantage of Shadowrun online is that you don't need half a kg of dice per roll... virtual dice are brilliant :)
It's not paranoia when they are out to get you.
On's and Off's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4535

Brandon

Well Ild definatly want a copy of that Goldenchild  ;D

but whether the games rules light or rules heavy, Ild just like to play shadowrun again and this story certainly seems intersting
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ixy

Agreed... do please share that basic rule set, if you can.

Xerial

Ok, the interest is definitly here, this I am happy to see.  ;D

So now it comes down to brass tacks... I've found that limewire has the core book for 3rd and 4th readily availiable, so anyone with access to it should be able to find either.

Setting-wise, I heavily favor 4th, as the post Crash 2.0 times straight out of Chinese proverd... as in interesting. If we're going system and 3rd is prefered, then I should be able to convert the AR rules over with a wee bit of work, rules lite will just require imagination, well, that and some work on my part too.

Now's the time y'all interested parties should be looking at the preamble and thinking of characters that would fit. No hard and heavy stats at this point, what with the lack of system choice, but get a good concept in mind. And let me know decisivly what you'd prefer for system/rules-lite.

Muse

i prefer the 4th edition rules, i find them much more streamlined.  Though casters come out a bit underpowered starting out. 

Would you be looking for people peripheraly tied to the show as their day job? 
even a dancer?
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ixy

Still having issues getting edition 4, though I really appreciate the links you sent, Goldenchild-- but I get a 'file not found' for edition 4.  On Limewire, I only got 1 seeder, and that meant that the book would take about 24 hours to load.  *sIGH!!!*  Anyway, don't hold up for me...  If need be, I can chase down the actual book, but I'll keep at it.

Anyway... I prefer softer rules, but that's just my opinion.  I'll pick whatever skills/ware/stats that I think fit the character, whatever rules set it is.  I just don't want to get greased on day 1 by a troll with a Panther assault cannon because I didn't stack my stats enough.  ;)

GoldenChild

Xerial

Trust me, by the time you go against Trolls with heavy weapons you'll be well and stacked. There's no set deadline for starting at the moment. I'm out of action next week, so it'll be after that some time I start setting down creation guidelines and looking to get a thread.

Vice

Quote from: Muse on October 25, 2006, 02:32:50 PM
i prefer the 4th edition rules, i find them much more streamlined.  Though casters come out a bit underpowered starting out. 

Would you be looking for people peripheraly tied to the show as their day job? 
even a dancer?

I ran a game of 4th ed. Even without Street Magic (which makes them much more powerful) Awakened characters, especially mages, are anything but underpowered. From a purely rules-lawyer/munchkin standpoint, there's really no reason to go cyber, unless you want to be a hacker. :D

Ixy

Quote from: Vice on October 26, 2006, 11:38:37 PM
I ran a game of 4th ed. Even without Street Magic (which makes them much more powerful) Awakened characters, especially mages, are anything but underpowered. From a purely rules-lawyer/munchkin standpoint, there's really no reason to go cyber, unless you want to be a hacker. :D

Unless you have a fetish or something... no further comment.

Oooooh, accessories...

Vice

Like I said, that's only from a rules lawyer/munchkin POV. From an RP POV, cyber can be a lot of fun, and gives me all sorts of ideas for backstories (if you lost two hands and a leg, chances are you've got a story to tell).

GoldenChild

I agree, the number of people that walks in through the door lays down on the table with the order:

"Cut my arms of I want a pair of cyber one."

Xerial

Quote from: Vice on October 26, 2006, 11:38:37 PM

Alas, my copy of Street Magic has yet to arrive... I swear FanPro needs better distributers for Canada...

GoldenChild

If you do a more or less complete body transplantation to cyber, can you still increase your attributes with karma or do you need to upgrade your hardware? (At the moment I'm thinking of a cyber body, legs and arms)