Wrath of the Dragonkin

Started by Lady Jenn, July 10, 2017, 06:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kull

"If we still had the horses we would not hve been able to hide", Grim thought. Wolfling was lying till and quiet between his legs; for him is was like when stalking at prey while hunting. He didn't need a command to be quiet. Grim leaned close to Ariadne that was hiding next to him and whispered in her oddly shaped ear:"Is it a natural creature that bleeds or is it magical?".
Mats

"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

Lady Jenn

"They are a mix of both," Ariadne replied. "They bleed, but like all species linked to the dragons they have magical prowess of their own."

"What's happening?" Arva asked as they heard a deep growl emanating from the creature. He stopped himself from saying anything more as the creature bent down, resting one claw on the rock. Arva felt himself hold his breath as the head lowered towards them...but the creature paused, staring at them but not seeming to see them, using its tongue to taste the air. It finally turned away when another roar sounded in the distance, the creature sloping away, crunching rocks beneath it. "What was that?" Arva asked. "It was look..." he stopped when he turned to find Ariadne looking suddenly weak. "You haven't recovered from the poison yet," he said, helping her up. "You should not be casting spells."

"I had to," Ariadne replied. "I remembered a story my father used to tell me that he heard from his own father: Thunder Lizards only roar like that when they are looking for a mate." She turned to give Grim a weak smile. "Please do not take offence, but even your skills would pale against a male Thunder Lizard in heat, they are even more territorial than usual." She turned to reassure Ebony when something caught her eye, the colour draining from her face: the Dragonsblood Gem was glowing bright red. "There's a dragon nearby," she said, drawing her own sword. "Or at least, if we're lucky it's a dragon. But I don't see anything," she said as she looked around the rock, finding only the same rock-strewn landscape for miles around.

Levi

Ebony glanced around. She stared in fascination at a decidedly pointy rock not far from where she was crouched. The young woman turned her head toward the back of where they were hiding and noticed several other pointy rocks.

A horrid thought began to make itself know in Ebony's mind.Surely not, the others would have noticed she thought. However the other warriors had there attention fixed on the entrance. Suddenly the earth around them began to shake and pebbles began to skitter away.

"Ariadne" Ebony began, the elf waved her into silence "ARIADNE" she said a little more sharply, as the elf tuned toward her, the ground began to crack open.

"Run!" Ebony yelled leaping toward the rapidly closing entrance. " This is a dragon! " she yelled behind her to the others.
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

King Kull

Grim had herd that dragons had wings and could fly so he was looking upwards after this dragon Ariadne mentioned. Suddenly Ebony run off; Grim didn't know where she was going but he wouldn't let her be on her own so he run after her without hesitation. 'I still think I could kill that lizard, it's big but slow and clumsy,' Grim thought as he was just behind Ebony. 'And Ebony has a very nice behind.'
Mats

"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

Lady Jenn

"Who dares intrude on the land of the lord of dragons?" came a voice from behind Grim, as a huge dragon head rose up. The creature's skin was the colour of the rocks around them, Ebony's distraction being the movement of its tail. "I am the Gatekeeper of Dragonblight, consider that if I wanted to kill you it would take me less effort than it would for you to swat a fly."

"We...we..." Ariadne considered her options before sheathing her sword. "We seek an audience with Stormrider, we wish to make him an offer we feel he will be interested in."

"And the rest of you?" the creature asked, it's fierce red eyes locking on Grim in particular, a fearsome grin revealing a set of serrated teeth lining each jaw.

"I would never seek to lie to one of the ancients of this world," Arva said, bowing in part to hide how much the creature's sudden appearance had shaken him.

Levi

Ebony had grabbed hold of Ariadne's arm when the dragon had begun to speak. The beast was awe inspiring and this wasn't even the one they sought! The dragon's green eyes seemed to pearce right through and be looking right into her heart.

Stepping away from the group she spoke for it was her who must convince The Lord of Dragons so she might as well practice with this one. " My companions speak true. We seek an audience with Stormrider, as proof I carry this" she indicated the Dawnhammer.

Ebony bravely withstood the dragons steely gaze, mentally she was trying to think of what they would do if this dragon did not allow them passage. " I was sent by my father, and these are the friends I have made along the journey "

King Kull

This was the largest living creature Grim had ever seen. And in this case Ariadne was right; it would be hard to kill this beast: it was frightening to know that he was at it's mercy but you should never show a wild animal that you are afraid. He was also a bit curious because there was so many myths and legends about dragons and now he met one that could speak. And the dragon had a point; if it just wanted to kill them it could have done so already.

"Are you looking at me?" Grim said trying to sound self confident. "I'm the body guard for this girl with the sword; if you just keep your hand off her you won't have any trouble with me," Grim grinned. "By the way can you fly and breath fire?". If you are going to die, do it with a smile. 
Mats

Lady Jenn

The dragon didn't respond, but seemed to look past them up toward the mountain, a low growl emitting from its mouth.

"Ariadne, what's he doing?" Arva asked. "This almost worries me more than when he was threatening us."

"I wouldn't pretend to understand dragons," Ariande replied. "We'll just have to wait."

"The Dragonlord will hear your plea," the dragon said, moving its tail away so that their path was clear. "Consider one thing however: Stormrider can smell lies, if any of you enter there with ill intentions he will be the last living creature you see."

"We will..." Ariadne trailed off as she realised the dragon had vanished again, only the glow of the gem showing he was nearby. "Let's get up the slope as quick as we can, I don't particularly like the thought we're being watched." She took Ebony's hand, leading them up along the closest thing to a road which lead up to towards the peaks. It became clear between two of the peaks stood a wall larger than many hills, atop which marched Thunder Lizards, who watched them closely. A gate was opened to allow them through, presenting them with a view which made Ariadne and Arva gasp: the valley in front of them was immense, filled with dragons ranging from small whelps to dragons easily the match of the one they had faced on the slope. But Ariadne's eyes were drawn to the centre of the valley: an immense roost on top of which sat a monster of a dragon, its tail the length of some entire dragons around it, a pair of orange eyes just visible among the jet black scales that made up it's vast bulk. "Great Gaia," Ariadne said under her breath. "My father told me the lords of Dragonblight were large but...never in my imagination did I think Stormrider would be that large."

Levi

Ebony did not pause to wonder at the quantity of dragons, she fixed her gaze on the roost at its centre. She stepped across the threshold of the gate, firmly placing her foot, the land beneath her feet seemed more alive then any other place, scents that reached the young woman's nose seemed sharper. The colours of the flowers and trees appeared brighter. The dragons themselves were shinning like jewels, each a different colour, all shapes and sizes and all watching the group closely.

King Kull

Grim walked up to the wall behind the women and was supersized to see this lizards sort of guarding it. He thought they where just animals but obviously they could be made to obey commands? Then this valley full of dragons? Grim didn't know if he should believe his eyes or not, he actually rubbed them with his knuckles and pinched his arm but the scene in front of him didn't change. He kept his sword sheeted. He didn't really know his part in this, he was here to protect the women but against this he was helpless; he could just die bravely. He just hoped the women knew what they where doing because he for sure didn't know what he was doing here. He didn't even see any gold.
Mats

Lady Jenn

Just as Ariadne was about to speak Stormrider launched himself off the roost, launching high into the air but by the time he landed no more than a hundred yards from them he had changed. He was no longer a dragon, now he took a human form at least seven feet tall, dressed in fearsome black armour and with a pair of intense orange eyes shining from beneath hair as black as his armour. He stepped towards them, forcing Ariadne to try and appear calm in front of the intimidating figure in front of her.

"It has been more years than I can remember since mortals were brave enough to walk the slopes of Dragonblight," Stormrider said, looking at each in turn. "I cannot believe an Elf would take on a quest such as this without good reason, what brings you here?"

"We seek the death of Myraz," Ariadne replied. "If we join our forces together you will be able to retrieve what was stolen from your hallowed halls and gain vengeance for what happened to your father."

"A human betrayed my kin before," Stormrider said, letting out a low hiss. "Why should I trust you?"

"Because of this," Ariadne said, taking the Dawnhammer from Ebony and holding it out towards him. "Dragons helped forge this, your father and my grandfather once united around it to oppose another great threat. I would be betraying the memory of my ancestors if I pledged we would help you and then turned on you."

"I must think on this," Stormrider said, staring at the blade, before turning to Grim. "The other three have items filled with dragon magic, whether or not they realise it. What would you say to me tasking my smiths to forge you a weapon of your own? You can choose whatever you wish."

Levi

Ebony felt suddenly deflated by the bazaar turn of events.
" If you don't trust humans why would you offer to make us weapons? " she asked rudely. She couldn't trust this dragon, something about the situation was just not adding up.
" How can we all be carrying items of dragon magic?" She asked suspiciously.

King Kull

Somewhat the dragon seemed more manageable now in the form of a man. Grim was pretty sure he hadn't anything magical at all and Ebony seemed a bit irritated. But if he could get a good sword like the Dawnhammer who cared?

"You want to give me a weapon? Well thanks Stormrider. I want a sword like the one I have; it is tailored for my height, length and reach. But I don't want it lighter I want the weight behind my cuts. So tell your smiths to put their effort on other characteristics like sharpness and strength." Erik told the dragon-man. "If you ask about magical abilities I don't know anything about how swords can be magical, this Dawnhammer is the first magical sword I have seen, I don't even know if it is magical. If you make it magical just make sure it isn't interfering with how I can use my own skill and strength: In the end it always come down to a man's mind and body not what weapon he wields".

An interesting thought; if Ebony or Ariadne ended up on different sides in this conflict who would he fight for? Probably Ebony even if Ariadne was the more powerful and the one that had hired him.
Grim thought.   
Mats

Lady Jenn

"The gem," Ariadne said with a chuckle. "I knew Dawnhammer contained Elven runes, but I hadn't considered the legends about the Dragonsblood gems holding actually dragon blood might be true. Dragons are inherently magic Ebony, anything drawn from them would also be inherently magical."

"How does this sound?" Stormrider asked after a few moments of considering Grim's request. "There are certain...enchantments we could place on your weapon that far from limiting your strength, they would enhance it, only increasing your skills. There is little my smiths are not capable of, even the great Elven smiths could not hold a candle to the forges of Dragonblight."

Levi

"What would you want in return?" Ebony asked the dragon. Grim seemed hooked on the idea of a new item. Avra has yet to add anything to the current situation. Should I take him up on his offer. I really couldn't handle another weapon the young woman thought. Ebony took a look around. She noticed that the other dragons were only really paying them a small amount of attention now. " While we await your decision, would another dragon be willing to talk with me?" Ebony suddenly asked. She was curious to know more about this magical race and she wondered if she would be able to get some inside information on  Stormrider.

King Kull

These overgrown lizards where quite stuck up, he didn't think for a moment they where superior smiths to the noble elves. Anyway if their sword was overrated he could always go back to his own perfectly good sword. I'm not to happy with magic that tampers with my natural skills and abilities, they are already perfectly good, Grim thought. Yes modesty wasn't one of his virtues.

"I don't know what is possible with your magic but I have one weak point in fighting. I can kill anything that bleeds an lives like a natural being but some opponents are magic or supernatural where steel skill and muscle doesn't help," Eric answered Stormrider. "Can you make a sword that hurt any creature as if it was a natural being of flesh and blood no matter if it is magical, undead or otherwise supernatural?" Like a dragon. Grim thought. "Like Myraz", Grim added out loud.

The other dragon said Stormrider could smell lies, but could he smell thoughts? And how does a man control his own thoughts? I'm not too happy about Ebony mingling with this dragons on her own, what if they decided to keep her for some bestial perverted reasons? Ariadne had great respect for these creatures but all tales he had herd about them where them killing people
Mats

Lady Jenn

"An interesting request," Stormrider said, thinking for a moment, before turning to a dragon who had appeared so suddenly Ariadne and Arva nearly jumped out of their skins. "Be'shaen, do you think you could forge a magic sword for our guest?"

"I cannot create a sword which could kill literally anything," the dragon responded. "But there is not much that can withstand a blade enchanted with drake magic, Stormrider himself carries one," the dragon said, indicating a blade at the dragonlord's belt which seemed to glow within its sheath. "I won't require long."

"My mate I'm sure will speak to you," he said, indicating a large grey dragon who seemed to be surrounded by whelps. "I'm sure she'll happily tell you she is more...friendly than I am."

"Thank..." Ariadne started saying before realising Stormrider vanished. "Bloody hell, for creatures their size these dragons move with speed even Silver would envy." She turned to Arva. "Why didn't you ask for anything?"

"I have anything I could want already," Arva replied. "Even if the dragons were willing to teach me their magic I doubt I would be capable of safely wielding it."

"You're a strange man Arva," Ariadne said with a chuckle, before she led them over to the grey dragon, the whelps watching them curiously as the female dragon sat up. Her eyes were as grey as her scales, making it almost impossible to spot where she was looking. Thank you for welcoming us, lady..."

"Much like the dragonlord my true name would be unpronounceable in your tongue," the dragon said. "You may call me Skysilver however."

"It is an honour to meet you Skysilver," Ariadne said, bowing. "I...I don't mean to be rude, but Ebony is right, your husband asks us for nothing, what is he getting from this deal?"

"You do not know the story of what passed between his father and Myraz do you?" Skysilver asked, turning to look at the roost. "There was a king before Myraz who stole the relic first, Myraz came north to recruit the then Lord of Dragons. He believed the King would return the relic once the tyrant was overthrown, but..." she paused for a moment. "He was tricked into entering Myraz's throne room alone, no-one is sure quite what happened, but when Stormrider demanded entry he found his father dead at the foot of the throne, with Myraz promising if the dragons did not leave he would turn their own magic against them. Storm left that day promising that one day he would make Myraz beg him for mercy."

"So he wants revenge?" Arva asked.

"Not just revenge," Skysilver replied. "That relic was not stolen by chance: it contains a fragment of a dark magic which should've been forgotten by this world centuries ago. It was his father's job to ensure that evil never left Dragonblight, the longer that relic is outside the magical barrier that surrounds Dragonblight the more people it will corrupt."

"And the more allies Myraz has to face us with," Ariadne said with a sigh. "I hadn't stopped to wonder if there was more to it than simply long life."

Levi

Ebony crouched delighted between the whelps. The baby dragons were curious beings and were soon flocking around her sniffing at her hair and tugging at her clothes. She laughed, reaching out tentatively toward a little blue/grey whelp that was hidding mostly behind its mothers body, she quickly withdrew her hand when the baby sneezed up smoke.

She reached out again and the baby allowed her to rub its head. " I hope your mate decides to help us, I'm not sure what to do if he doesn't. It's a lovely home you've built here" Ebony said conversationally. I wonder how many can take on human form

King Kull

Grim reluctantly gave his sword to the dragon Be'shaen so that the smiths could copy it's physical properties. Ebony went to play with some dragon-babies. They where probably born dangerous and unreliable. Grim turned to Ariadne.

"Ariadne, if Myraz is more powerful than the dragons together what will be our weapon against him?" He asked.
Mats

Lady Jenn

"There is one other option," Skysilver said, keeping an intrigued eye on Ariadne. "That blade your love carries was forged by Elves, surely your people are the obvious ally to turn to?"

"I...I can't" Ariadne said, barely containing her tears as she clenched her fists. "I will not go back there unless I have no choice."

"You face a magic unlike anything humans have faced since the first Dragon Wars," Skysilver said. "If now is not the time for their help, when is." As she heard the sob that escaped from Ariadne Skysilver changed into a middle-aged woman, long grey hair and the same piercing grey eyes giving away her identity. "Oh Princess, what happened?" She put one hand on Ariadne's shoulder. "If she loves you as much as I sense she will only care about helping you. As for the other two," she said, casting an intense glare at both Grim and Arva. "If they have any sense they will at least listen before judging you."

"My brother and I weren't born here," Ariadne said. "Our parents had migrated south to our ancestral island home by the time we were born. At first it was a happy, if...unusual family. But...something happened, my mother fell gravely ill after a party entertaining locals from other islands. She was ordered to bed but did not last the night. I was certain foul play had had a hand in what happened to her but I was the youngest child of the greatest Elven clan in the world, no-one was going to listen to me when my father and brother didn't believe me. And then...then my father vanished."

"How does a king vanish?" Arva asked.

"We never discovered," Ariadne replied. "He went to settle a dispute between two fishing communities, two days later his ship was found listing off the shore of our city, the king and his crew vanished without a trace. My brother decided they had sailed into a storm, after all the boat was damaged. But I did not consider two 'accidents' suffered by Elven royalty likely to be a coincidence. My brother refused me permission to investigate, when I said I would anyway he told me he would make sure I did not leave the palace. I...said some horrible things to him, stormed out of the throne room, and that night joined the last group of Rangers heading north. I have not heard from my brother since then, I doubt he wishes to hear from me considering what passed between us."

"Even if that was true," Skysilver said, brushing a tear from Ariadne's face, "it is likely we will need all the help we can get to defeat Myraz. If he will not listen to you, your brother would be a fool to ignore Stormrider."

Levi

When Skysilver had transformed into the middle age woman, Ebony got a little curious, something must have sparked the dragons interest, Ebony edged close enough to be able to hear the Skysilver address Ariadne. Notchantly still playing with the whelps, she umbadhedly listened in to the conversation that occurred.

Ebony was shocked by what she heard. Her heart almost broke for the elf when she heard about what had happened to her family. She mulled over the knowledge of Ariadne's brother. Suspicious indeed she thought. Not usually one to take sides unless she knew the whole story. Ebony knew in this case she would more then happily take her lovers side. However she didn't want to cause offense so, perhaps she had better not say anything about this brother.

It was clear now what must be done. Step one convince dragon, step two convince elf. She glanced over to where Grim stood his faithful hound at his side. The warrior looked disappointed at the lack of gold so far on this journey. Perhaps I can ask for some Ebony thought.

King Kull

Those dragon-babies seemed to like Ebony; she will be a good mother but hopefully to human babies. Grim turned to Ariadne. "So you think your brother murdered your mother and father? Surely such man can not be trusted. Let's slay him and install you on the throne and you can lead the elves to war against Myraz." Grim said grimly. "If my new dragon-sword bites through eleven magic I will be happy to give you his severed head and you can take the crown of it and place it on your own head."
Mats

Lady Jenn

"I'm not saying my brother was responsible," Ariadne said, snapping at Grim more fiercely than she intended, her hand moving to the sword at her belt.

"I think I understand her point," Stormrider said, suddenly appearing between them. "Elves do not go to war lightly, they are the opposite of a race like Orcs. I suspect Ariadne and her brother were both grieving, and would not have reacted how they did had they allowed themselves time to mourn their parents." He reached beneath his cloak, producing a sheath which seemed to glow an eerie green light. "Deathbringer, for you Grim," he said, holding it out. "It does not carry the full magical might of a dragon, but if it did the blade would be as dangerous for you as it was for whoever it touched. I can at least promise there is little that can survive an attack with a blade such as this." He turned to Ariadne. "I understand your reluctance to return home, but we require all the magical help we can get, and if Myraz remains unchecked he will become a threat to the elves as well. If you will accept my aid I and one of my other dragons can fly you south. If Myraz has weapons which can kill a full-grown male dragon at maximum flying height then this would be beyond anyone's capability to stop."

"What do you say?" Ariadne asked, looking at the other three. "We get to ride a dragon AND you get to be the humans to set foot on the island of Bel'thani in...well, many lifetimes."

"I'm up for it if the other two are," Arva replied, unable to hide his delight at the suggestion.

Levi

Wow, Dragons are amazing Ebony concluded, not only had Stormrider decided to at least travel with them, but he was bringing another and he had convinced Ariadne to at least attempt communication with her brother. She stood.

"I'm ready, and I ride with Ariadne" she said bluntly, almost daring the elf to say otherwise.  Ebony said her goodbyes to the whelps and went to stand by Ariadne's side. " I'm guessing it won't take long via dragon? " she joked. She was actually really excited to be flying, she must try and stay respectful as Ebony could imagine it was not often that humans got offered such things.

King Kull

Grim obviously noticed how Ariadne reach for her sword, she was blinded by family ties from seeing her brothers obvious treason and murder. Suddenly Stormrider appeared out of nowhere . Grim didn't like how these "dragons" changed form from giant lizard to human at will and how the just appeared out of nowhere. He took the sword sheath and draw the sword. He tested it with a couple of thrusts and cuts and it had the same length, weight and balance as his old sword. He smiled like a baby; his very own dragon-sword.

"Thank you Stormrider, I owe you one for this!" Grim said sincerely. This will slay both Ariadne's brother and Myraz, grim thought.

Honestly Grim would have preferred walking, he didn't even like riding so how would he cope with riding a flying beast? And Ebony didn't seem to like him any more; forcing him share dragon with a man. "I will go with the dragons if you are," grim said reluctantly. But he did look forward to seeing the famous Bel'thani. In Hercynian legends it was portrayed like a paradise, a utopian place.   
Mats