The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guancyto

I honestly think it would be criminal to cast John Hurt and then give him just the tiny amount of screentime that Uncle Ben usually gets.

Further, I don't really think we need spiderman's origin story a third time. I'd be stoked if the reboot opened with web-slinging and quippage. We know what spidey's deal is, they don't even change it much when they start over!

Deamonbane

Quote from: Guancyto on February 23, 2015, 12:43:19 PM
I honestly think it would be criminal to cast John Hurt and then give him just the tiny amount of screentime that Uncle Ben usually gets.

Further, I don't really think we need spiderman's origin story a third time. I'd be stoked if the reboot opened with web-slinging and quippage. We know what spidey's deal is, they don't even change it much when they start over!

But knowing Marvel, I doubt they won't put in Spidey's origin movie just like all the other heroes are getting...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Beorning

Going on a tangent for a moment: I read someplace that Samuel L. Jackson won't be playing Nick Fury in the future Marvel movies (with exception of the ones he already is signed up to play in, I guess). So... Marvel will have to recast the role. Do you think they'll go another African American actor? If not, do you think that they will change the comic version of Fury to fit with the new actor?

mia h

There is Nick Fury movie in the pipeline but I think it's a younger Fury so they have to cast someone to play the role.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Deamonbane

I have an old Spider-Man comic where Fury was white. Like... from the 70s or something.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

TheGlyphstone

Fury was white originally in the main Marvel continuity. When the Ultimate universe came out, they designed Ultimate Nick Fury to look like Samuel L. Jackson, and Jackson agreed in exchange for the right to play Fury in any future movies where the character had a part.

Now he apparently has a son who also looks like Samuel L. Jackson, because the Movie Fury was so popular amongst fans.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 23, 2015, 02:22:55 PM
Nick Fury is a lot easier. If you get it wrong it was just a life model decoy.

Its to bad they already had Fury injured, bled everywhere and fake his death for Winter Soldier.  This whole entire time the Samuel L. Jackson Fury was a Life Model Decoy and did not have the real appearance....it could lead into a fun little conspiracy who he actually is.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

Quote from: Deamonbane on February 23, 2015, 02:16:30 PM
I have an old Spider-Man comic where Fury was white. Like... from the 70s or something.
Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD starring David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 23, 2015, 02:19:51 PM
Fury was white originally in the main Marvel continuity. When the Ultimate universe came out, they designed Ultimate Nick Fury to look like Samuel L. Jackson, and Jackson agreed in exchange for the right to play Fury in any future movies where the character had a part.

Now he apparently has a son who also looks like Samuel L. Jackson, because the Movie Fury was so popular amongst fans.

... and the original Nick got sidelined, with Original Sin delivering the  killing blow :(

I really hate it when something that was done in the movies starts influencing the real deal, the comics. In that respect, I'm very worried about Star-Lord and others Guardians of the Galaxy. I fear that Marvel with replace the true version with the bizarro versions from the movie (which was semi-fun, but definitely not true to the source material).

mia h

Quote from: Beorning on February 23, 2015, 03:11:37 PM
I really hate it when something that was done in the movies starts influencing the real deal, the comics. In that respect, I'm very worried about Star-Lord and others Guardians of the Galaxy. I fear that Marvel with replace the true version with the bizarro versions from the movie (which was semi-fun, but definitely not true to the source material).

The dead tree versions of the characters have always been influenced by their appearences in other media; Perry White and the Daily Planet originated from radio plays in the 1940's, Rene Montoya & Harley Quinn started off in the Batman animations, even John Diggle has made the transition into 2D.

Mathim

I really wish they wouldn't be going in the direction of yet another teenage, wet-behind-the-ears Peter Parker for the MCU's Spiderman but it looks like they're continuing with that lean-more-heavily-on-the-Ultimate-comics-version trend. Too bad, I much prefer the seasoned Spidey that shone so brightly in the Maximum Carnage arc, among other things.

Oh, and Guardians got snubbed at the Oscars by Interstellar for the award for Best Visual Effects. Fuck those elitists and their biases against superhero films! I haven't actually seen Interstellar but the award shouldn't reflect on the genre of the film but the effects therein and unless it really blows me away when I see it on video, I call B.S. on Guardians losing out.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Oscars aren't awards given to movies for commoners (aka Fantasy/Superhero/other 'genre' films) , obviously. Only high-brow, artistic creations of merit warrant such a prestigious award. And movies that make utterly obscene quantities of money, which explains Lord of the Rings and Avatar.

SapphireStar

Before Star Lord and Rocket Raccoon, there was a previous Guardians of the Galaxy team led by Vance Astro, with teammates like Charlie-27, Starhawk (who had dual personas, sometimes male, sometimes female form), Yellowjacket (who wound up in the future, not Hank Pym), and a few others. When I had heard they were doing Guardians of the Galaxy I thought it would have been based on this team from the 90s.

They seem to be picking info from various universes to create the current one. A recent interview with the team doing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. confirmed that. So, both worlds are influencing each other. If a character from a TV show is popular enough, they will get carried over into the comics to keep fans happy. If they do another Spidey movie, they need to get someone who has knowledge of the character and the comics. At least, Joss Whedon worked on comics for a while writing several X-men stories. Or, at least hire someone who worked on comics as a technical advisor.

Deamonbane

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 23, 2015, 10:20:17 PM
Oscars aren't awards given to movies for commoners (aka Fantasy/Superhero/other 'genre' films) , obviously. Only high-brow, artistic creations of merit warrant such a prestigious award. And movies that make utterly obscene quantities of money, which explains Lord of the Rings and Avatar.
That Avatar won any Oscars is blasphemous in an of itself.

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on February 24, 2015, 10:04:19 AM
That Avatar won any Oscars is blasphemous in an of itself.

Hear, hear! I'd like to hear the comparisons the people in charge made to justify picking Interstellar over Guardians. If the case is well-reasoned, I'll back down but I don't think they can do it, I think they just wanted something more artsy-fartsy to win. This could have been huge for the Marvel Cinematic Universe! Not only would it have meant that their out-of-left-field movie made more than either of the other two non-RDJ films from Phase 2, but it would have netted them an academy award. That would have further helped them make risk-taking decisions and gotten some more fun stuff out.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mathim

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on February 25, 2015, 08:20:12 AM
Is there ever a NON-relevant Cracked article? ;D

Anything written by Chris Bucholz tends to be pretty irrelevant to anything. Funny, but only useful to people currently OD'ing on shrooms.

Beorning

Also, I once read a comic-related Cracked article where it was obvious that the author didn't have too much of in-depth comic knowledge.

Mathim

Any good articles about superhero movies specifically, or similar such?

Beorning

Not that I can remember, sorry...

BTW. I finally got to watch Captain America: Winter Soldier today and it turned out to be... pretty amazing, really. So many Marvel characters crammed into that one! And a plot that was actually engaging and tense. I'd say that it was much better than Guardians... heck, it was better than The Avengers, actually. It might well be the best movie made by Marvel, period.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Beorning on February 28, 2015, 07:56:24 PM

BTW. I finally got to watch Captain America: Winter Soldier today and it turned out to be... pretty amazing, really. So many Marvel characters crammed into that one! And a plot that was actually engaging and tense. I'd say that it was much better than Guardians... heck, it was better than The Avengers, actually. It might well be the best movie made by Marvel, period.

That is something you really gotta love about Marvel. They are cramming so many different characters and stories onto the big screen their is just about something available for everyone. It was said before on this thread I think. The Guardians you get a Star Wars style Sci-Fi adventure. Thor you get mythology and fantasy. Captain America conspiracy and war.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has really turned into a amusement park with a ride for everyone to enjoy.

More than I can say for the DC universe since it all seems to be geared towards Nolan's dark and gritty approach. I'm not saying that Nolan is terrible, heck I loved the Dark Knight Trilogy. I just think they are really shooting themselves in the foot by having this same dark brooding atmosphere carry over into Man of Steel and so far it looks like it will be the setting for DC Cinematic Universe.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on February 28, 2015, 07:56:24 PM

Gonna have to disagree with you there. More plot holes in there I could drive a helicarrier through. If you ignore all that, sure, it's a fine narrative and a satisfying movie overall. But my list of complaints is monumental compared to Guardians or the Avengers and as a comic book fan, I CAN'T overlook all that and enjoy it. It's like with X3, way too much shit got lost in translation.

Beorning

Oh, come on. Don't compare WS to X3... Now that was a bad movie.

But okay, what are your problems with WS?

Mathim

Okay, you're right, that was an unfair comparison. Overall I enjoyed the Winter Soldier more than I thought I would (you kind of have to go in with lowered expectations when he's one of the least-powerful Avengers that actually has powers).

Firstly I was looking forward to Cap having a love interest after Peggy. Instead they not only creeped me out by having her on her deathbed, and the Agent 23 character played by Emily Van Camp could just as easily have not even been used in the movie. I HATE when they do that with characters, Iron Man 3 was the worst example of name-dropping and not following through. But I already ranted about that.

Secondly, Arnim Zola's character was a complete 180 from First Avenger. He was genuinely bothered by all the wrongdoing of the Red Skull and had no real loyalty to Hydra. Then all of a sudden he's their bitch boy helping them take over SHIELD? I call bullshit on that. I know he's supposed to be a villain in the comics but if they were going to play him that way then they shouldn't have given him any redemption or anything like that in the first Cap movie.

Thirdly, what the fuck was with Falcon? He's a dressed-down War Machine who was supposed to have powers and they totally fucked him. What, are they afraid to give a black character any actual superpowers? Pisses me off. Mackie even said they were supposed to give him the bird-telepathy power but it never went through.

Fourthly, way too much suspension of disbelief as to how normal humans are supposed to shake off otherwise crippling or fatal injuries. There's too many instances to name but if you watch the "Everything Wrong With" of the movie, you'll get what I'm talking about. But ESPECIALLY about Bucky, that was just...I even wrote in a way he could survive plausibly in a script edit that also explains why his arm is lost, instead of them having to saw it off for no good reason.

Fifth, instead of keeping the cool scene with the old woman on the council totally kicking ass, they ruined it by having it be Black Widow in disguise. Not that the disguise wasn't cool but they could have saved that for another scene, perhaps letting Agent 23 use it and make her more prominent in the movie like she deserved. Kind of hard to look at Cap and wonder if he's still a virgin (and that's not really too ambiguous).

Sixth, it totally ruins Agents of SHIELD (which if I were in charge of the TV stuff, I wouldn't have done anyway.) Plus the aftermath makes no sense and puts their best people out to pasture. And I call B.S. on Rumlow surviving.

So that's the major complaints. I have more but these are the big ones. I easily remedied them with a few edits to the script but too little too late. It's just for my own edification.