News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

It looks like Marvel Studios. But, they could have just been listing the company. I'm guessing they would be licensed to Marvel Studios.

Gambit starring Channing Tatum got a director. The director from Rise of the Planet of the Apes is helming the movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 15, 2015, 09:05:33 PM
It looks like Marvel Studios. But, they could have just been listing the company. I'm guessing they would be licensed to Marvel Studios.

Gambit starring Channing Tatum got a director. The director from Rise of the Planet of the Apes is helming the movie.

Well I did love ROTPOTP so that's a good sign for this director. Of course, this is an entirely different ball game. Gambit is my absolute favorite X-Men character and I want him done right. Still, they can't do worse with him than Taylor Kitsch's take on him from Wolverine Origins. Kind of makes me wonder how they're going to handle it as far as the timeline since he's supposed to have been around before Logan got his memory loss. Wouldn't he be a lot older by now?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Im probably not going to watch Gambit..I just really don't care for Channing Tatum.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

deadmanshand

I'm definitely not watching Gambit with Channing Tatum. The man has been terrible in every single movie I have ever seen him in without fail.

CuriousEyes

I enjoyed 21 Jump Street, although he didn't really carry that one on his own.

Mathim

Quote from: deadmanshand on June 16, 2015, 12:45:52 PM
I'm definitely not watching Gambit with Channing Tatum. The man has been terrible in every single movie I have ever seen him in without fail.

This. Is. The. End.

Seriously, even if you hate him, he pulled it off in his role as 'himself' and got utterly humiliated. What more could you ask for?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Let's switch gears from Channing Tatum shall we? Let's talks about who we would like to see in a future superhero movie.

If the Deadpool is a success I want to see him team up with the Deadpool Corp. For an adventure.

Or like Mathim said in the past on this thread see X-23 and Daken appear in a future Wolverine movie.

Plus I want to see Nightwing pop up eventually.

▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

CaptainNexus616

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
So it turns out Age of Ultron actually had an entire hour of footage cut from the final production. Here's the real kicker though folks. Wheldon really just wanted to kill Quicksilver off and actually has an ending where he survives because he thought Marvel wouldn't let him do it. This all will be included in an extended cut edition release

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 17, 2015, 08:26:11 AM
Let's switch gears from Channing Tatum shall we? Let's talks about who we would like to see in a future superhero movie.

If the Deadpool is a success I want to see him team up with the Deadpool Corp. For an adventure.

Or like Mathim said in the past on this thread see X-23 and Daken appear in a future Wolverine movie.

Plus I want to see Nightwing pop up eventually.

But...he's Magic Mike...LOL, yeah, let's get this conversation away from Danny McBride's bitch.

Even though they are making one final Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie, I doubt they're going to do the smart thing and put in his female clone or his Damian Wayne-esque son.

@ Nexus: Not surprising, but I still would have expected enough footage to make two full-length movies from.

SapphireStar

According to a news report, Marvel, Sony and Paramount are skipping the San Diego comicon this year. Citing that the film schedule doesn't allow it? Huh? Really? Isn't the point of going to tease the fans with some teaser footsage of films some in production still, while holding panel discussions?

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

Pretty much, and the Star Wars film and Hunger Games according to the news report.

Update: According to the comic con website they won't be releasing any information regarding programs, schedules, films etc till 2 weeks before the convention opens. If I was going, I would want to know in advance who was going to be attending and what panels/programs were being offered. This convention sells out a year before the next one. Hotel rooms are booked literally a year in advance.

Mathim

Well lots of hardcore DC fans are saying it's because Marvel is 'running scared'. Frankly they don't need to do any promoting, this close to Ant-Man's release, nothing's going to make a bit of difference, and people are already clamoring for Civil War so there's no shortage of buzz there. Plus DC's shit is getting leaked unintentionally (hence the early BvS trailer) and while Marvel's had a few set photo reveals, there's nothing that big to reveal, at least nothing that wouldn't just completely spoil everything, I would imagine. Marvel's already got all their ducks in a row and fans should be grateful and patient.

Although, season 2 of Daredevil and the other shows like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, as well as if they're doing a 3rd season of Agents of SHIELD, all could use some promoting. No point making stuff on TV if it's not making them money, right?

SapphireStar

Things might change, but the San Diego comic con is next month. I just find it odd that Marvel supposedly won't have a presence along with Sony and Paramount. I would assume they would still want to do an Ant-Man panel, as well as having other related panels. That is what fans look forward to, the panels and teaser footage. Get them excited for what is to come. Without them there that leaves a huge hole to fill.

TheGlyphstone

I wouldn't say they are 'running scared', rather the opposite - they're not bothering to attend because they think they don't need it; they've got enough of a fanbase by now that people will just go see the movies they put out without the usual teasers and hype-building. That could be correct, or it could start to backlash badly if they persist.

SapphireStar

It could backlash. If they are really intent on not having a presence, it could anger alot of people who are attending the comicon. This is the top convention, and is expensive. I'd be angry if I spent a lot of money specifically to see Marvel centered panels, etc and they don't appear. Its not like they can't have some of the tv actors do the panels, or have some of the movie actors drop in. I'm sure things could be arranged around film shooting.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 19, 2015, 08:53:09 PM
It could backlash. If they are really intent on not having a presence, it could anger alot of people who are attending the comicon. This is the top convention, and is expensive. I'd be angry if I spent a lot of money specifically to see Marvel centered panels, etc and they don't appear. Its not like they can't have some of the tv actors do the panels, or have some of the movie actors drop in. I'm sure things could be arranged around film shooting.

The people who go to those things do strike me as the type who'd go see the movies whether or not something like Comic-Con existed. Marvel has nothing to prove at this point, as Ant-Man is less than a month away and has no real need to preach to the choir of people who are already committed to seeing it. If it was in 3-6 months then I'd be like, "WTF, Marvel?" but there's no real difference it will make so close to their next big project's release. And without a casting decision for Spidey being made, what are they going to say about that? Civil War won't have a trailer until around Thanksgiving or Christmas so what do they have to show for that other than, perhaps, that already-leaked costume of Crossbones? There's nothing for them to really do other than confirm our dreaded Doctor Strange co-star casting and I don't know if that's already been done either (they better get on that shit if Civil War is already that far into development and Strange is supposed to be a few months behind that).

If they were going to do anything, I'd expect them to promote the hell out of their TV stuff, Netflix or otherwise. THAT not happening does surprise me a bit. But with the success of Daredevil and the casting of the Punisher already confirmed, again, there's little to say without either completely spoiling everything or it's simply too early for next year's release to be that far in development. Jessica Jones' show, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure I am so if someone could look that up, that would be awesome), is supposed to air later this year so if nothing else that would be the major thing they would want to showcase. Since she's much less recognized than Daredevil, I'd say she needs more promoting anyway. I hope Marvel rectifies this one seeming oversight, but other than that, they've got their shit together enough to not have to care about dangling carrots in front of their fans. That big announcement of their Phase 3 lineup from last year should have satisfied us all for a long time to come. Not to mention the Sony deal to share Spider-Man which I feel is going to be only a mixed blessing at best.

SapphireStar

True, but Marvel is one of the big three which are typically a mainstay staple at conventions. Not appearing sends a signal not all is well whether with comics, film/tv, etc. Its not that hard to piece some footage together to show fans, even if its like a thirty second trailer. They could even video conference with some of the actors live from location while in costume. Fans are bound to have questions they are eager to ask.

Now, this could all change.

Switching gears, there was a teaser report regarding Arrow season 4 revealed by drumroll....Stephen Amell. Apparently, Ollie gets lured back to Starling because something is happening with Thea. One of several rumors is that she is having problems in her new superhero identity and needs guidance. The other is that she is starting to suffer from the effects of the Lazarus Pit which is gradually turning her mad.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 19, 2015, 09:43:44 PM
True, but Marvel is one of the big three which are typically a mainstay staple at conventions. Not appearing sends a signal not all is well whether with comics, film/tv, etc. Its not that hard to piece some footage together to show fans, even if its like a thirty second trailer. They could even video conference with some of the actors live from location while in costume. Fans are bound to have questions they are eager to ask.

Now, this could all change.

Switching gears, there was a teaser report regarding Arrow season 4 revealed by drumroll....Stephen Amell. Apparently, Ollie gets lured back to Starling because something is happening with Thea. One of several rumors is that she is having problems in her new superhero identity and needs guidance. The other is that she is starting to suffer from the effects of the Lazarus Pit which is gradually turning her mad.

Who's the 3rd of the big three?

And yeah, Marvel could do something, I already gave examples, but they really don't need to so if it would be a waste of time as far as what they have on hand and the effort of putting it together, I'd agree with them saying 'why bother?'. An explanation would be nice, but really, what would people do in response anyway? They'd say it wasn't true, or if it was true, that it wasn't a good enough excuse. It makes little difference in that sense but if I were them I'd just say they're working very hard to get things that we're all looking forward to sorted out ASAP and let people chew it over. That way the next time something big comes out, they'll be on top of things and have plenty to share/reveal.

SapphireStar

Dark Horse.

Still, wouldn't they at least do panels for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, etc? Thousands of people go to this convention coming from around the world. Not just for buying collectibles, but for seeing what their fav shows will tantilize them with, plus the panels alot of times fans ask questions. They could do an Ant-Man panel. Every year, Marvel has had pretty much a presence. I can understand Sony not being there, more issues have been arising from leaked documents regarding the Marvel/Sony Spider-man, deal. VIP passes allow you access to more behind the scenes stuff like meet and greets, etc.

Switching gears, according to a report, more issues are arising between Marvel and Sony over how to cast Spider-man. So, it looks like for the foreseeable future, might be a Spider-man movie for a while.

CaptainNexus616

Geez at the rate this casting issue is going we may not get that MCU Spidey after all. Im curious about the specifics surrounding this situation. If they are having this much trouble over casting I fear what else may occur in the future with Sony making movies set in the MCU and how Marvel will say the cant do certain things.

Things do not look good for this Marvel-Sony deal.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 20, 2015, 02:59:03 PM
Geez at the rate this casting issue is going we may not get that MCU Spidey after all. Im curious about the specifics surrounding this situation. If they are having this much trouble over casting I fear what else may occur in the future with Sony making movies set in the MCU and how Marvel will say the cant do certain things.

Things do not look good for this Marvel-Sony deal.

Well if they were still going to keep him in the middle of puberty, I say good riddance.

CaptainNexus616

So here's something that I had a good chuckle over. DC has been infamous for retconning the crap out of the comics through incidents like Flashpoint, Crisis on Infinite Earths and so on right?

Can you just imagine Warner Bros pulling such a stunt to reboot their Cinematic Universe should things go worse than already predicted?

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 22, 2015, 04:00:26 PM
So here's something that I had a good chuckle over. DC has been infamous for retconning the crap out of the comics through incidents like Flashpoint, Crisis on Infinite Earths and so on right?

Can you just imagine Warner Bros pulling such a stunt to reboot their Cinematic Universe should things go worse than already predicted?

I think technically they already did that with Green Lantern. But I don't see Marvel not being forced to do something similar at some point, just due to changing actors, having nowhere to go forward without rebooting, etc.

SapphireStar

Both comic book companies seem to be retconning all their titles again. Marvel with Secret Wars, and DC with Convergence. DC new block of movies seems to be for the most part following the New 52 series. At least using a lot of the elements to create the new universe.

Other sources are reporting that Sony, Marvel and Paramount are skipping the San Diego comicon.