Marvel Apocalypse - (Interest Check)

Started by Veluux, October 28, 2012, 12:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veluux

-  MARVEL   APOCALYPSE  -

Okay. First things first, I will not be GMing this game (though I am open to the idea of CO-GMing with as many other people that would like to help run the plot - personally, I think all players technically move the plot). The GM/GMs will be primarily to check up on people and help maintain interest. I think having multiple GMs is very important for group games, because if one GM has an emergency, the game can still go on.

The idea for this game is that the world gets turned upside down by an assault from Apocalypse, and a group of heroes must stand up and stop him. There are no set and specific characters to choose from - players can be ANY marvel hero or villain. The characters chosen by players will be alive and active while many key heroes that were NOT chosen by players will have already been killed at the start of the story during Apocalypse first assault. The deaths of friends, lovers, and rivals is a good way to motivate heroes and villains to team up against this super-villain: Apocalypse.

Some of the key rivals of player's characters may also have "sided" with Apocalypse and serve as further motivation and low-range antagonists. Players are free to be on the Apocalypse side as well - though with the restriction of only a couple may do so (just because you choose a villain doesn't mean to have to be a bad guy!). The story will center around the 'good guys' rallying and regrouping to plan a counter-attack to defend earth and defeat Apocalypse (which will essentially be a long-war).

This will be a free-form RP where combat is discussed between players and GMs via PM with the standard restrictions of no god-moding, killing off other player's characters, significantly affecting another player without their consent, etc. Story and plot is the main goal here and everything will revolve around it. (The best RPs have a good story and characters with depth to drive it, the combat and interaction is a by-product of those two main focuses.)

That is the general gist of it, and the details of the plot will be built as players choose characters to play. Original characters WILL be accepted so long as they are not a copycat of some pre-created hero/villain with the requirement that they are tied into to some Marvel canon character's story in some way, shape or form. (If you create an original character explaining this link to the world, your powers, and other pertinent information will be required in a character thread so that everyone is on the same page). Canon character's that have multiple versions (like Jean Grey / Phoenix) will need to be discussed with the GM's as to which version will be used and their power's/limitations.

An important thing to note is that since players may and may OFTEN be engaging each other in combat - try to avoid the high-tier combat characters with ridiculous power (like Galactus, Phoenix, etc). The game just wouldn't be fun if someone picked a character that was pretty unbeatable. Also we may tinker with the idea of Apocalypse assaulting the inhabitants of earth with some advanced bio-weaponry that will help balance out stronger/weaker characters. But again, this is just an interest thread - we'll need to see who is interested and in what characters before we go into details like that.

In summary:
          - Freeform Group RP
          - Players can play both Canon and Original characters (limit of two characters per person).
          - Players can play as protagonists or antagonists, regardless of hero/villain choice.
          - Apocalypse is the main enemy and the majority of the players (80%) will be fighting against him and his evil allies.
          - There are two or three GM positions available (which should be claimed by consistent, responsible players who have the time and energy to help maintain the game) - these duties could be anything from motivating players, pushing the plot, and posting important updates.
          - This is a Marvel Universe game, and elements of the story will draw from that universe alone.
          - Being a part of this game does NOT require an in-depth knowledge of the comics, but familiarity with them definitely helps.
          - The posting rate is flexible but no less than one post per week (barring emergencies communicated with the GMs). If you know you're going to be away or posting less than normal for whatever reason, communicate it with whoever you are tagging. Nobody likes to get hung out to dry with their character trapped in a dead interaction.
          - Post length is also variable, but try to maintain the flow of the story and give your fellow players enough meat to work with. A two or three paragraph post is fine here and there, but don't constantly plan on posting short and leave others nothing to interact with.
          - All standard courtesies apply.
          - Please respond below with all inquiries and character interests.
          - Choosing characters is a first-come first-serve basis.
          - This will be a semi post-apocalyptic world. Where many important cities have been destroyed (this can be discussed by players - specifically those who want to GM and plot out in more detail).

Tenative Cast thus far:
          - Veluux as Deadpool
          - Vaulera as Magneto
          - TheVillain as Nightcrawler
          - Kuroneko as Callisto (and/or) Forge
          - loislanekent as Storm
          - Jmorty33 as Nova
          - More to Come

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Veluux

Oh. I'm of course interested in playing DEADPOOL (a.k.a.) Wade Wilson!

I'd be playing him as a cross protagonist/antagonist (as well as helping co-GM).

Vaulera

Dear god, I kind of want magneto (my superhero crush, especially in first class) but I also like a multitude of other characters :P (almost all of them villains and or male.)

TheVillain

I do kind of like the idea of going in as Nightcrawler.

My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Kuroneko

I'd love to play Callisto, sans tentacles *shudders*,  and/or Forge.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

VoluptuousVixen

Storm if you please. X

Jmorty33

Converted Mana Cost: 2 colorless 2 White 2 Red

+2 Target Player has writers block

+0 Target Player receives a post of two paragraphs or more.

-12 Player writes a novel.
THE BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR IS HERE!!!!!

Vaulera

Nova, the grown ass man. Flexing. None of what I just said makes any sense to people who aren't big on fighting games.

Jmorty33

I'm guessing an Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 reference?
Converted Mana Cost: 2 colorless 2 White 2 Red

+2 Target Player has writers block

+0 Target Player receives a post of two paragraphs or more.

-12 Player writes a novel.
THE BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR IS HERE!!!!!

Veluux

Tenative Cast thus far:
          - Veluux as Deadpool (CO-GM)
          - Vaulera as Magneto
          - TheVillain as Nightcrawler
          - Kuroneko as Callisto (and/or) Forge
          - loislanekent as Storm
          - Jmorty33 as Nova
          - More to Come

Be sure to mention if you're interested in helping GM. I'll need at least one person. Hopefully we can get two willing players to take on these duties.

MaiMizzu

This looks like it could be alot of fun. I've played many Marvel characters in my time. I wouldn't mind playing Wolverine (I know, obvious). I've RP'ed as him before extensively. I could also play Psylocke. Shadowcat maybe. Is there any specific character you think would be a good addition to the RP? I'll fill whatever role we need, I can be diverse.
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Bludmagnus

I would really like to join this game.  I have no problem playing Wolverine (Logan) and one other character if it is acceptable.
"Shame is an unhappy emotion invented by the hypocritcally pious in order to exploit others."

Personal self-quote:  Jaded is having the only key to the handcuffs and locks.

For consideration I link my O/O post here:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=42014.0

VoluptuousVixen

I would happily Co-Mod this Game with you Veluux.
Here are the heroes thus far....

Kuroneko

We don't have to use comic book images, do we? *notes the absence of Forge :P*  I've admin'ed a Marvel game for over 8 years so I have a lot of real life images for characters already made, ;-). 

VoluptuousVixen

Need to finde a good Forge pic... anyway use Actors as visuals if you wan`t. 
I just started findeing pics of Google cos I was bored.
xxxx

MaiMizzu

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

1SAZ

"Eh, mon ami, do we need a Ragin' Cajun in this party?"

Yes, that is me applying as Gambit.

Kuroneko

Quote from: loislanekent on October 28, 2012, 08:26:05 PM
Need to finde a good Forge pic... anyway use Actors as visuals if you wan`t. 
I just started findeing pics of Google cos I was bored.
xxxx

The only decent images of Forge are to be found in the Mystique title.  Otherwise he looks like what a white man thinks a Native man should look like, lol. 

Veluux

Quote from: Bludmagnus on October 28, 2012, 07:44:45 PM
I would really like to join this game.  I have no problem playing Wolverine (Logan) and one other character if it is acceptable.

Yes; as stated in the quick summary above, players are allowed two characters max. Though I belive MaiMizzu claimed wolverine before you. If you want it you'll have to get her permission, since she stated a few other characters she wouldnt mind playing.

Quote from: Kuroneko on October 28, 2012, 08:23:14 PM
We don't have to use comic book images, do we? *notes the absence of Forge :P*  I've admin'ed a Marvel game for over 8 years so I have a lot of real life images for characters already made, ;-). 

No, you dont have to use comic images. And while I do not mind if you choose to use them, I would prefer that everyone selects a real-person photo for their character. The recent marvel movies have done such a great job bringing the characters to life that I think casting you character with a real life model, actor, etc would make for a classy game that feels more alive.

Vaulera

Never has there been a better Magneto than in first class, but just going by age, the magneto in the first few movies will have to do. Also, keeping it in mind, Wolverine is the oldest member of the X-men, would he have recovered his memories by now?

Veluux

I would just like to reiterate that most ANY marvel character is acceptable for this game. I see a lot of XMen, which is fine, but not a requirement. I am hoping to get a wide range of history with characters so it truly feels like the whole world is at war. I know Apocalypse is mainly an XMen villain, but he will have allies like maybe Dr.Doom, Carnage, the Taskmaster, Mandarin, etc. So feel free to pull from any corner of the Marvelverse for this game.

I should also add that telepaths and the like are off limits. Think Xavier, Pheonix, White Queen, Psylocke at her prime. Players will never be allowed to control other players actions and this is a combat tactic that psionics rely heavily upon. Thus those will not be playable characters, though they may show up as NPCs.

Veluux

Quote from: Vaulera on October 28, 2012, 11:13:10 PM
Never has there been a better Magneto than in first class, but just going by age, the magneto in the first few movies will have to do. Also, keeping it in mind, Wolverine is the oldest member of the X-men, would he have recovered his memories by now?

I hated the actor selection for the early movies for Magneto. He is so much fitter and younger feeling in the comics, despite his age. First class finally did him right. As for wolverines memories, that depends. Part of this game is keeping it newbie friendly - so hardcore history wont be a point of emphasis. Add details for depth, but not to the point that people need to go research every character to understand WTF a player is posting about. Just reveal slowly and tell your charcter's stoy over the course of the game.

Since the characters will be from around the globe (and universe maybe), they will be learning alot about each other. Use this convenient plot device to build up the version of the character you think best fits the setting, time, and situation. Just because we are writing a new chapter in the cgaracters story, doesnt mean it cant be placed before the characters most recent life-changig events.

Gah, hate typing from my phone. Ill check back and respond more tomorrow.

Vaulera

NOW WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE. Blade is Marvel property. Would blade be acceptable for this roleplay? Because he is one of my favourite characters from anything.

Veluux

Quote from: Vaulera on October 28, 2012, 11:43:56 PM
NOW WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE. Blade is Marvel property. Would blade be acceptable for this roleplay? Because he is one of my favourite characters from anything.

I dont see why not. Blade would be an acceptable character. It is the whole world Apocalypse is affecting. I dont consider Blade a part of a separate world. Deadpool might comediaclly scratch his head and make a side comment or two about it through the forth wall though.  :P

MaiMizzu

When you pointed out its a marvel and not just x-men tthing.. Well i think i wanna play iron man too. And we already agreed he would be playin logan. Im playin psylocke... And mebbe iron man