News:

Main Menu

Rebuild of Evangelion

Started by TheWriter, August 07, 2010, 12:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWriter

Late to the party, I know, but I just saw 1.11 yesterday.  Wow.

I actually felt like I was twelve again watching it for the first time.  Definitely not a simple re-mastery though; I was surprised how easily I picked up on the subtle earlier differences, and the later less-than-subtle differences were well appreciated.  Overall I don't think this one will be as downright depressing as the first take, and I've got to say I like it.  Looking forward to getting my hands on 2.22.

Host of Seraphim

2.22 = I have no words to describe it. It's simply beauteous.

And better late than never!  ;D
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Mnemaxa

It is delicious.  You must consume it.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

TheWriter

Good to hear, good to hear.  But what of my ferociously feisty fräulein?  The delicious Deutsch darling??  The tsunderest of all that is tsundere???

What of Asuka; is she better than ever?

Kunoichi

She first greets Shinji by kicking him in the crotch. :P That answer your question for you?

Wolfy

You can think of Rebuild as what Evangelion should have been...The former Evangelion was fueled by the creators angst and anger at his (Then) current situation, and that's why the original is sooo...mind screwy. o3o

Rebuild is what Evangelion is now that the Author has literally millions of dollars and is living rather well. o3o

Hunter

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 07, 2010, 09:44:28 AM
She first greets Shinji by kicking him in the crotch. :P That answer your question for you?

Win!   ;D

Astragalus

From what I've heard Rebuild-Asuka is a lot less of a jerk. Ironically, this doesn't make her any less of a badass when it comes times for Giant Robot Fightin'.

pendarious

frankly i'm dissapointed in rebuild....it lacks the character developement and fluctuation of event that the origional had........and it's also apparently a mind screwed sequal to the origional not a remake at all really.........
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

TheWriter

So.  Just watched 2.22.

Shinji sure put in the hard yards in the off season.  He didn't just take a level in badass, he maxed the stat out! 

Kunoichi

Quote from: pendarious on August 11, 2010, 07:34:08 PM
frankly i'm dissapointed in rebuild....it lacks the character developement and fluctuation of event that the origional had........and it's also apparently a mind screwed sequal to the origional not a remake at all really.........

Personally, I've never really understood the logic behind that last assertion.  How exactly is Rebuild supposed to be some sort of bizarre sequel to the original TV series when it's been explicitly stated multiple times to be a remake?

That really sounds to me like some fan came up with some crazy theory somewhere, and then a bunch of other people took it completely out of context, just so they'd have something to complain about... >>;

TheWriter

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 07, 2010, 04:51:39 AM
Personally, I've never really understood the logic behind that last assertion.  How exactly is Rebuild supposed to be some sort of bizarre sequel to the original TV series when it's been explicitly stated multiple times to be a remake?

That really sounds to me like some fan came up with some crazy theory somewhere, and then a bunch of other people took it completely out of context, just so they'd have something to complain about... >>;
Spoilers below, highlight to read.

There are a lot of things to hint at it; some a little bit contextual, others quite literally implied.  The biggest bit of evidence for it is Kaworu being implied to have knowledge of the original series: "This time I'll definitely make you happy, Shinji".  And all that goes without mentioning the aggressive changes in story the second time around; half the Angels don't appear, and most that do differ drastically, a fourth pilot that isn't Touji, Asuka taking Touji's place in Unit 03, Rei actually having the makings of a spirit, and Rei and Shinji accidentally triggering Third Impact at the end of the second movie.  Fans are calling this too big a departure from the way things "should've" happened, and explain it as being a sequel.

Host of Seraphim

Re: the spoilers-- that would actually be kinda cool.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Kunoichi

Quote from: TheWriter on September 07, 2010, 06:40:20 AM
Spoilers below, highlight to read.

There are a lot of things to hint at it; some a little bit contextual, others quite literally implied.  The biggest bit of evidence for it is Kaworu being implied to have knowledge of the original series: "This time I'll definitely make you happy, Shinji".  And all that goes without mentioning the aggressive changes in story the second time around; half the Angels don't appear, and most that do differ drastically, a fourth pilot that isn't Touji, Asuka taking Touji's place in Unit 03, Rei actually having the makings of a spirit, and Rei and Shinji accidentally triggering Third Impact at the end of the second movie.  Fans are calling this too big a departure from the way things "should've" happened, and explain it as being a sequel.

Transparent isn't a color on here, I'm afraid. ^^; Or at least, my screen doesn't display it as such, anyway.

Kaworu knowing about the events of the original series can be explained in more ways than just the Rebuild movies being a sequel.  When he shows up in the SRW games, he's aware of events happening across multiple different continuities, for example.  And that doesn't rule out him having met Shinji when he was younger, either.  As for the changes to the story, I don't really see the need to read too much into that, either.  It's establishing itself as a seperate continuity.  They even said that they wanted it to stand apart from the TV series, to get new fans.

TheWriter

Hey, I'm not saying either way for sure; all I know is that Shinji grows a spine this time around, and I saw that it was good.

And transparent text is supposed to work here; it does show up for me, and I've had an OOC thread overdose on it down in Ex...

Kunoichi

Huh.  Must be my browser or forum settings or something, then...

pendarious

sequal, alternate continuality, rebuild whatever it still dissapoints me.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND