JDK issue (or possibly Forge) -__- [Problem solved!]

Started by Oniya, January 01, 2015, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I'm going to preface this by saying that I really hate it when you follow the directions to the freaking letter and an installation still borks up.

I went to Oracle and downloaded the Java 7 JDK for 64-bit operating systems as the book instructed ("Download the Java 7 JDK for your operating system.  If you download Java 8, it may not work.")  I added the path to the PATH environment variable.  I ran the javac command and got the expected result.

I downloaded Eclipse and extracted it to a Coding folder on my desktop.

I downloaded Forge and extracted it to the Coding folder on my desktop.  (both of the above programs are in their own subfolders to Coding)

I set up Eclipse with no problem.

I then attempted to setup my workspace.  Computer churns for a bit, goes through some things, and then says it can't find my JDK.  Please make sure that the JAVA_HOME environmental variable points to the right place and that you have downloaded a JDK and not a JRE.

Book never said anything about a JAVA_HOME environmental variable, but what the hell.  So, I set one up, pointing to the /bin directory of the Java 64-bit JDK folder (the same path that I added to the PATH environmental variable earlier)  Still says it can't find it.  I run the javac command again from the Forge directory, and get the expected result.

I am wondering if I should go back and download the x86 version of the JDK at this point.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rook Seidhr

JAVA_HOME should point to the root of the JDK install, not the /bin folder.

Oniya

So, the environmental variable should be "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71\"? I'll give that a go.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Rook Seidhr

If that doesn't work, try it without the trailing backslash.

Oniya

It did work :-)  Thank you!

(Note has been scribbled into the margin of the book for future reference as well.)