Some Keys on Laptop Keyboard Stopped Working

Started by Dotley, August 15, 2014, 11:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotley

This issue just randomly occurred this morning when I turned on my laptop. The A, D, F, J, K, L keys have stopped working. I've tried googling to understand what the issue is but I'm not getting anywhere. I've never spilled liquid on it or dropped it. I've turned it on and off, took off and put the battery back in, and even did a system restore. I can't directly access the admin account because it has an A in the password and I can't CRT+V the password on the log in screen.

Anyone have any other possible advice or solutions? And yes I know it would be easiest to just send it somewhere or take it in for repairs. But that's not an option. I don't live in the States and the nearest city place is like four hours over dirt roads. Trying to find a do it myself solution since I won't be in the city for another three months and really need normal typing capability back.

It's an Asus laptop and I have no idea what other information to give  :-(
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

BitterSweet

If it were one key Id wonder if you might have a cat hair or something down there.  Can you pop a key off (make sure you are positive you can get it back on first), and see if you've got junk down there?

Dotley

I've also cleaned it as well with an air duster and popped off the A key to be sure. It's fairly clean and no hairs  :-(
O&O's || A&A's

Psi

Use the accessability options in the lower left hand corner - for windows 7 at least.

You can turn on the on screen keyboard and use that to get into your machine.

Keyboards are like any computer part - and as they are partly mechanical as well as electrical they can wear out.  If you have carefully removed the key (and on laptops its way to easy to break those tiny clips, or to pop them out of brackets that are a PITA to fix, and you still cant get the A key to work when you press the rubber contacts underneath it is most likely the keyboards electronics at fault.

Depending on your willingness to open up your laptop, many manufacturers list a keyboard as a user serviceable part - if you have the right tools / knowledge.   Sometimes it could be a loose connection on the cable underneath, sometimes reseating this cable is all thats required.

Do you have a USB Keyboard anywhere?  That is another test we often use when logging laptops at work for keyboard faults.

Dotley

Thanks Psi!

I popped off the A key just fine, cleaned, and pressed it manually. Still didn't work. So it likely is something electronically off? And I got the key back on after some gentle fiddling so that went well.

I did manage to borrow a USB keyboard so I can use the laptop just fine while it's plugged in.
O&O's || A&A's