Writing a story in French?

Started by Caehlim, December 29, 2014, 05:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caehlim

Hi there,

Sprikut and I are both wanting to practice our French by writing a story in the language together and just wanted to check if this is okay and get permission to do so.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Oreo

This is permitted. We have RPs being played in foreign languages. However, it would be nice if you also added the translation in spoilers.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Caehlim

Quote from: Oreo on December 29, 2014, 06:09:05 AM
This is permitted. We have RPs being played in foreign languages. However, it would be nice if you also added the translation in spoilers.

That would probably be helpful for us too, since we're both a bit rusty with the language.

BlueBeetle

That's a really cool idea. Practicing a foreign language via role-play is awesome.

Caehlim

Quote from: BlueBeetle on December 30, 2014, 02:07:44 AM
That's a really cool idea. Practicing a foreign language via role-play is awesome.

Thanks BlueBeetle, I hope it works out well. It seems worth a try.

Kythia

Its actually something I was toying with as well - is the ruling a general one for non-English games or is it a specific case for French because there's a French speaking member of staff, say.

Formless

I actually had a story here with Arabic dialogue translated into English via the acronym tag. So whoever views it can read the translation by just hovering over the text.

Oniya

There's a bit in the rules that states:  If someone asks you to translate or explain an acronym, please do so.  Providing a translation in spoilers (as Oreo stated) does just that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

BlueBeetle

Perhaps, if I'm approved, I'll have to try this sometime in Spanish. That would be a great way for me to practice more often.

Formless

Quote from: Oniya on December 30, 2014, 10:27:52 AM
There's a bit in the rules that states:  If someone asks you to translate or explain an acronym, please do so.  Providing a translation in spoilers (as Oreo stated) does just that.

If its not too much trouble , would you direct me to that rule?

Nico

Quote from: Formless on December 30, 2014, 03:19:07 PM
If its not too much trouble , would you direct me to that rule?

Here it is:

Quote from: Vekseid on February 20, 2011, 03:12:42 PM

Elliquiy is a literary site.

This is an English community. That means you are expected to spell out your words, strive for correct punctuation and capitalization, and avoid chatspeak ('you', 'are', 'two, too and to', and so on). If someone asks you to translate or explain an acronym, please do so.

Formless

Thank you Nicholas.

I thought it was in regards to the acronym tag. But its clarified now. ;D

Oniya

Nah - the acronym tag is a clever way to accomplish it, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nico

Quote from: Oniya on December 30, 2014, 03:24:52 PM
Nah - the acronym tag is a clever way to accomplish it, though.
Ain't that the truth! ;D