News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

When the Sun Sets: a supernatural roleplay

Started by Krayz, June 17, 2010, 06:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

The city of Alhona, on the Romanian coast of the Black Sea, is a nice place to spend your summer. It's known for a variety of tourist attractions, including a plethora of bars and clubs, a marvelous climate, a nearby ski resort, the loveliest beach you'll ever see, fine dining and finer hotels, and even a cornucopeia of history if that's your fancy.

Among the right crowds, it's also known for vampires. And werewolves. And magicians.

By day, Alhona is your everyday mid-size city in Eastern Europe. Its resort-like setting makes English the most common language as British and American tourists come to enjoy the sun, and the various other pleasures, but aside from that, there's nothing truly remarkable to be seen during the day.

When the sun sets, however, a whole new world rises to the surface. It's not obvious, if you don't know what to look for; three well-dressed men discussing strange formulas, a few others dressed in rough clothes with a feral cast to their gaze, or a lone gentleman walking with a bemused young lady. The real Alhona, the one most people don't see, is one of the largest centres of supernatural population in the entire world. Three of the most wide-spread forms of paranormal life are present in Alhona in nigh-unheard of numbers.

The Cruentus Coven of vampires, undead immortals, sate whatever dread passions drive them to live beyond the grave. Owners of clubs, hosts of parties, well-known dilettantes and connoisseurs, vampires walk the night of Alhona.

The Longfangs, the largest pack of werewolves in Europe, run free through the back alleys and slums of Alhona's West Side, blurring the lines between man and beast as they live with their animalistic spirit.

The Alhonan Cabal spend their nights discussing magical theory and maneuvering for power over their peers, each seeking to harness their powerful energies to achieve their hidden goals.

And as this secret side of Alhona's community live their (un)lives, humanity walks beside them, for the most part blissfully unaware of the darker underword of their city....

Krayz

Vampires

In the simplest terms, a vampire is an undead being that lives by feeding on blood. Vampires have existed for as long as humans have, though where they first began has been lost even for the long-lived immortals. They are nocturnal hunters that will not die as mortals do, but instead grow stronger as the years pass. Vampires could almost be considered the natural predator of humans, a hunter that is perfectly suited to infiltrating human society, and fully capable of taking whatever prey it wishes from the fold.

How one becomes a vampire is a simple process, one that involves the giving of blood, which for a vampire translates to the giving of life. A human is fed the blood of a vampire, and then, in the simplest terms, dies. A transformation occurs, taking one or more nights, before the newly-turned vampire, or fledgling, arises. What happens next varies, though typically the fledgling is taken care of by the vampire that turned them, called a sire, until it is ready to survive on its own. Becoming a fledgling is by no means a process that requires voluntary consent, but a suicidal fledgling is by no means a stable creature, and many Masters consider it an unnecessary risk to the secrecy of the vampire race and the local Coven to turn a mortal without their consent; in other words, it can often lead to the death of the offending sire.

A newly-turned fledgling will immediately be thirsty for blood, drained by the transformation from dead to undead. No lone human could slake this first thirst without dying in the process; among sentimental vampires, fledglings are guided to feed on several different humans, or on the blood of a werewolf or a magician, both of which are far more potent and thus make death unnecessary. After this, a vampire can thrive on the equivalent of an adult human's full capacity of blood (5 liters) per week. Animal blood is less potent, and requires twice as much, while the blood of a magician or lycanthrope is twice as potent, cutting this number in half.

So long as they consume a bare minimum of four liters of blood per month (or one a week, leaving the vampire no stronger than a human), a vampire will never die without being slain. They will grow in strength and develop a variety of supernatural powers to supplement those that they already possess. A vampire can also choose to hibernate, stretching one liter as long as one century. During the time, the vampire does not grow in strength, however.

The Abilities of Vampires

Even the youngest fledgling has powers beyond those of a human. Upon arising, a vampire is blessed with strength that is on par with the peak of human fitness, allowing them to easily overpower their prey. Their speed and reflexes are even more impressive, allowing a vampire to keep pace with a moving vehicle at cruising speeds. Their senses are far superior to those of any human, with perfect night vision and superhuman hearing, as well as a keen sense of smell and taste. They recover from most wounds in a matter of seconds. Finally, even the weakest vampires can use their voice or their gaze to hypnotize mortals. These powers are the most basic that a vampire has, and grow very slowly; even the oldest vampires are not immensely superior to their lesser kin in mere physical ability.

As the vampire grows older, they develop a wider variety of powers. Common ones include an affinity for a particular kind of nocturnal animal, allowing them to speak with and command these creatures. Being able to change their form is another power that vampires typically develop. However, less common are powers such as telepathy or telekinesis, and other abilities that are commonly dubbed as "psychic". The oldest vampires, meanwhile, are famous for having developed powers that were truly unique to them; such power takes millennia to attain, however, though such abilities often become part of the bloodline of that vampire's fledglings. Perhaps the greatest tool that elder vampires have at their disposal, however, is experience. A vampire that has survived centuries has likely seen conflict in its life, and has had many years to master a variety of talents. A younger vampire would be hard-pressed to physically match his elder, but it would far more likely be the elder's tactical experience that would decide the battle.

For all the powers of vampires, they are at the same time cursed with great weaknesses. The dark power that allows the vampire to live beyond the grave is anathema to the holy energies of faiths, and a vampire cannot bear to approach religious icons, or to make contact with blessed objects; mere contact will burn a vampire like a powerful acid, and such injuries take many days of rest to recover from. Fire has a similar effect, while sunlight can burn a vampire to cinder in a matter of moments, though some elders develop enough of a tolerance to walk in the day in a weakened state. Vampires are also incapable of entering a private dwelling without invitation, nor are they capable of crossing a body of water without a bridge, boat, or similar means of transport. Vampires, while physically hardy, can be slain by piercing their heart (which serves as the center of their blood-based power) or by decapitation (separating their mind from their body).

Cruentus Coven

The Cruentus Coven is the main body of organization of vampires in Alhona. It's membership is the vast majority of the vampires that make their home in the city, providing a central source of order and law for the various undead that make their home there. Cruentus gathers its own funds through various donations and money-making schemes provided by its membership. These funds are in turn held in the Coven's coffers, to be used in whatever way the Coven feels. To be specific, whatever way the Master of the Coven, the acknowledged leader of the Coven, sees fit. The Master is generally the strongest and/or the vampire with the most backing by the various members of the Coven.

The role of the Coven is to protect and provide for its membership. It enforces a number of basic rules that are meant to protect the secret nature of vampires in the city:

1) Any who will reveal the existence of vampires to the human public will be killed.

2) Any who unnecessarily risk exposure of the existence of vampires to the human public will be killed.

3) Any who actively oppose the orders or will of the Master will be killed.

4) Any who unnecessarily endanger the existence of the Coven, or betray it to its enemies, will be killed.

5) Any who disagree with the will or orders of the Master can challenge them in front of the Coven. The Master and their supporters will either fight the challenger and their supporters, or will step down.

These simple rules provide a semblance of order among the vampires, serving as a simple, if violent, code that those vampires who wish to dwell in Alhona must follow. Power among the Coven is no more complex than the ability to kill and the support of killers.

Krayz

Lycanthropes

A lycanthrope, or shapeshifter, is a human that has undergone a transformation of sorts that has fused their spirit and changed their body to be attuned to a particular animal. They are a combination of man and beast, with the strengths of both, as well as some of the weaknesses.

Lycanthropy is a supernatural virus, essentially. It is passed by the saliva or genetic of a lycanthrope; one can become a lycanthrope either by being bitten by one, or by having one as a parent (the lycanthrope genetics overwhelm the pure human genetics in such a case, the result being a pure lycanthrope). Lycanthropy also provides an immunity to vampirism, with lycanthropes not transforming into the undead when they consume their blood. Whether one is born a lycanthrope or bitten doesn't matter particularly, but it does not manifest itself until puberty; one born a lycanthrope does not change until they are adolescent, nor will one who was bitten.

When the lycanthropy does manifest itself, however, the lycanthrope finds that they possess far greater abilities than normal. Their bodies will be at the absolute peak of human fitness, incredibly strong and fast. Their senses will grow in strength to compare with those of their animal form, surpassing them even. An untransformed lycanthrope is a physical equal for a vampire. However, a lycanthrope also gains the ability to change their form, their body either taking the form of their animal, or a hybrid between their human form and their animal one. In this hybrid form, a lycanthrope possesses twice their original physical strength, allowing them to beat even a vampire into submission in a contest of pure strength.

Lycanthropes, however, give up some of their humanity in these changed, and their instincts and emotions become stronger, more difficult to control, even without transforming. By transforming, the lycanthrope surrenders to this animalism, and only the most basic intentions and thoughts remain from their human self. While not necessarily vicious, lycanthropes are always carnivorous, and only the strongest affection could overcome the instinct to hunt for a hungry werecreature. As well, while a lycanthrope normally chooses when to transform, they are forced to do so by the light of the moon, which is somehow connected with their affliction.

Longfang Pack

The most common form of lycanthrope in Europe is the werewolf, and they are also far more social than many forms of lycanthrope. The Longfang Pack is the densest population of werewolves in Europe, dwelling in the western side of Alhona. In their human forms, the Longfangs appear quite similar to a gang in many ways; they are a tight group with a very rough-and-tumble lifestyle. By night, they run the woods together as a pack, hunting together at least once during the cycle of the full moon. They protect and care for one another, as any pack of wolves might.

The leader of the Longfangs is known as the Alpha; the Alpha is the strongest member of the Pack, proven by trial of combat. While this fight is not necessarily to the death, it is not uncommon either, depending on the combatants. The Alpha is the undisputed leader, deciding what behaviour is acceptable or unacceptable. As well, he manages the territory of the Longfangs; Alhona is their stomping ground, and lycanthropes that are not members of the pack will either make arrangements with the Alpha to stay in the pack's territory, or will face the united wrath of the Longfangs.

Krayz

Magicians

'Magician' is a universal term for those with the innate potential to use magic, as well as those who have this potential and are trained in its application. Magic has been a part of human history since the beginning, though its acceptance has varied through the years. As a result of the questionable tolerance for magic, those who practice it have taken to hiding their gift from the general public.

The ability to use magic is passed down genetically, though never appearing more than once in a particular generation among a family; the gift is passed from the parents to only one child, thus limiting the numbers of magic-users in the world. The magical energy also provides protection from many afflictions, including lycanthropy and the power carried in a vampire's blood. Magical power, in its most basic form, consists of the ability to manipulate matter and energy, and the ability to commune and control spiritual beings, such as demons.

Those born with the gift for magic are capable of very little without proper training. Any magician can, by force of will, manipulate matter and energy, allowing them to break, melt, reshape or fix matter, or to convert their stamina into forms of energy such as heat or electricity. How much they can do like this is limited by their control of their power and their physical endurance. However, complex change is impossible in such a manner, and truly powerful magic requires the study of the arcane arts, the first of which were created by the first mages, and have since been expanded upon by generations of magicians.

The rituals involve the use of complex pictograms, material focuses, and incantations to guide the power of the magician to create far more precise spells. The four elements of Air, Water, Earth and Fire are used to symbolize the four states of matter. As the magician learns the arts of the rituals, they can form their own by applying the principles that they have learned. However, not all things can be achieved by the simple manipulation of matter. For these, magicians learn to summon various supernatural beings to perform tasks or provide guidance.

Alhonan Cabal

The Alhonan Cabal is a club of magicians based in Alhona. It functions in a form similar to a club and a university, where magicians study together to develop new forms of magic, as well as providing a central guidance for the magician community in Alhona. Young magicians are given mentors in the Cabal to instruct them in the arts of magic until they are old enough to pursue their own studies. The Cabal does not have any form of central leadership, instead functioning under a form of democracy, though older and more powerful magicians are often backed by their peers.

Ravyn

I'd be interested in a magician character.  I'll wait around for some more info first though.
Ons and Offs

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it's worth.
-Terence McKenna

Krayz

Ravyn

But of course!  I found it a couple of pages back and the first post hooked me.
Ons and Offs

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it's worth.
-Terence McKenna

Sephora

-raises hand-

I'm interested as well.  I'd love to go the lycan route, character-wise. 

Ramael

Casual interest expressed -

I'd have preferred magician, but if I do join this game then I'll go with whatever we have least of to balance things out. I'm like that.

Also, I'd like to say nice setting, unique and concise first post.

Krayz

Booyah! So happy to see this take off finally ^_^

Balance isn't too big an issue in this, really; it's not a matter of direct conflict between the various groups so much as flavour. So play whatever you like; all the groups are as likely to deal with in-group fighting as much as out-group. And I think I should also mention that humans are an available option. I didn't give them an intro thingy because they didn't need to be explained, as I saw it.

And thank you, btw, Ramael :D

So, if anyone wants any unique in-city locations for their characters, post them in here please :) I plan on doing a base layout of the city, and one of the things I plan on adding is a club run by my vampire character ^_^ As well, I need an Alpha for the Longfangs. I'll play the Master for the coven, unless someone else would rather.

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Sephora

Hmmm, I've been thinking about making my character a cop.  So how about adding in a police station?  After all, who better to sniff out crime than a dog? ^_~

Ramael

Ooh, a meddling do-gooder in our self-created European vacation utopia! Down with the detective!  :D

P.S, Krayze, I thought humans were covered in Magicians? Unless you're talking about Badass Normals?

Warming to this now - will create a character soon. Any character templates you have in mind, or anything else to think about whilst making our guys/gals?

Krayz

Well Sephora, the Longfangs almost function as a gang outside of being werewolves, so a cop might not fit in. Still, if you can think of a way to make it work, then by all means ^_^

@Ramael: no, magicians are quite different from humans, because not all humans are magicians. Probably 90%+ of the Alhonan population is your everyday kind of guy.

And motherfucking kudos, my fellow troper  8-)

As for a character sheet, I kind of have a standard one that's growing, lol:

(Description here if a picture)
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Description:[/b] (Delete this if you're using a picture)

[b]History:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Notes:[/b]

Sephora

Awww, alright.  I will try to figure out a suitable way for it to work, but if I can't I'll just go the gang girl route.  -shrugs- Still fun!

Oh, and if no other wolves show up, I wouldn't mind doubling up on characters, and creating a alpha wolf if its needed.  If that's alright anyway.  And thats if no one else shows up who wants the title for their character.

Ramael

Name: James Craven

Race: Human

History:
James is the product of a prestigious English highschool, then the product of a couple of minor arts colleges, then the product of a snooty University, in that order. It was around the time of the latter that his abilities manifested, after a series of vivid and lucid dreams where he was communicating with several different beings. At first putting his night-time talks down to University lifestyle and boozing, James found he couldn't ignore certain suggestions that stayed with him for days to come. Finding himself spending more and more time in the uni library, looking at dusty tomes that he had no idea why he would normally look at, finally James gave in to his odd subconscious urges and let his innate curiosity take over, allowing himself to "go with" the ride. The ride ended for James with an obsession about Aleister Crowley, a British freethinker, writer, and "occultist". James found himself studying the man with more passion than he felt for his degree, and his dreams began to reward him with fantastical, impossible sagas that not only took up his nights, but urged him to spend days locked in his room, studying them and picking them apart.
Finally, thinking out every possible angle, James' logic could only conclude that to complete this "journey", he had to experiment. Learning that some of the things that had happened to him in his dreams transferred over to the physical realm, and could be commanded at his behest, James had a revelation, an early life crisis that he did not know how to resolve.

So, being a young, virile male with a new found toy, unable to resolve or gain any kind of logical sense from it, he played with it. A lot.

Too much, evidently, unable to match his idol's supposed mastery in the Occult, James got burned one day by a Succubi who nearly drained his entire life force, until the Alhonan Cabal stepped in, having operatives who were attuned to James' newfound talent operating in England.

Abashed and scolded, James had learned the hard way about magic, and humbly accepted the scorn and browbeating afforded by the Cabal. However, independent as he is and not in the habit of being in debt to anyone, James swore to repay the debt in trouble and effort he caused the Cabal by working it off for them. Relocating to Alhona, James began working with the Cabal, being dogsbody to magicians far more powerful than he, who had been attuned to their craft for years. Now no longer the object of ire, and having earned meagre respect, James has been able to flex his own magical muscles once again, working his way up the ladder and even being included on some more important (if secretive) excursions and missions the Cabal has deemed worthy of their attention.

Now able to relax somewhat, James has turned his attention back to his own powers. Not forgetting the lessons he has learned, he studied hard every aspect of his craft, and took his time with minor summonings, gentle conjurations and small rituals. Hungry for knowledge, he earnestly apprenticed under some major wizards in the Cabal, swapping mentors yet still retaining the deceased Crowley as his own personal focal point of worship. Recognising his efforts, the Cabal inducted him as an equal, as in their eyes James was the perfect case of a young magician learning the hard way, and was a textbook example of how not to be inducted into the craft.

Currently James, ever curious and inquisitive, is revelling in the new knowledge given to him by the Cabal that there is a Coven of vampires and a pack of werewolves in Alhona, and has gingerly gone about contacting certain individuals, purely out of his own professional and personal interest.
He spends his time soliciting interest from either lycan or undead, relaxing in the sun, performing tricks to tourist girls, and conducting Crowley-esque rituals in his apartment.

Personality:
James is curious, and powerfully independent. Whilst not being a misanthrope, he loves people, and were it not for his self-appointed "honour debt" to the Cabal, would probably have gravitated to Alhona anyway to mingle with others of his kind. He loves learning, yet becomes hostile to "rigid" authority. At times eccentric, he has taken to his new life like a fish to water, and without bringing unwanted attention to magicians in Alhona, indulges himself with certain pleasures bestowed on him by his abilities, especially if they'll help get him female attention. He is still young, after all. Even in the summer season, he usually strides about in black jeans and boots. He loves his collection of arty, pseudo-occultist t-shirts and wears them regularly.

Notes:
James noted early on that a lot of magic (or "magick", as is the Crowley term) requires carefully rehearsed rituals. Even basic spells require preparation of somekind, often a diagram or symbol. Noting the unpracticality of carrying around bags of components and brushes to scribe sigils, James had a brainwave, and went to visit a tattoo parlour. His friends thinking it a display of arty weirdness mixed with homosocial expression, James got an array of symbols tattooed over his upper body, therefore in constant readyness for most spells he would need, without the physical baggage. His chest, upper arms and respectable abs are adorned with various arcane symbols, that only another magic user would recognise for what they are.

Although James dabbles with elemental magic, his real strength lies in his passion - the occult. Studying suggestion magic, barrier-craft, charms, curses, and summonings, James is a jack-of-all-trades magician, and is still learning. However, his basic manipulation of the elements only goes as far as to be able to click a tiny flame into existence to lit his cigarettes, or drum up a gentle breeze to lift a summer skirt or two when he is bored.

zoarster

Krayz, I'm interested in playing a relatively powerful vampire character operating on the fringes of the Coven--do you have a problem with me creating something of a supercharacter? I wouldn't be godmodding but he'd probably get on most of the Coven's bad side, so he'd have to be old/powerful enough to defend himself...

Sephora

Name: Shaye Monere

Race: lycanthrope

Description: Long black hair usually kept up in a sleek ponytail, and a pair of feral blue eyes that tilt upwards ever so slightly, Shaye stands tall at 6,1”. With a long slender body that had a permanent sun kissed glow to it, and a set of legs that seem to go onto forever; Shaye looks like she’d belong better sprawled out across a beach instead of running through alleyways with blood on her hands, looking more lovely than vicious.  She compensates for this.  She’s got a thing for piercings, with one on her right eyebrow, five on each ear, and about…four, in places that most people don’t get to see.  She has three different tattoos on her body.  The shape of a wolf paw on the front of her left hip, a crescent moon on the back of her right shoulder; and four designs of claw marks on the back of her right wrist. She’s also got her share of scars all over her body, both from bouts in wolf form, and out of it.  Whether they be from fighting for a higher place in the pack, or some random fight in the streets.  The clothes she wears are normally cheap.  Things she doesn’t mind shredding to pieces or losing during a change.

History: Shaye is by no means fresh blood.  Her family line is filled with werewolves, going so far back, that even the oldest member of the pack can’t recall the first turned in her family line. Suffice to say, she wasn’t surprised in the least when her first change took hold of her; having been told in detail about the experience. Her family (blood, not pack) has had a few alpha’s come out of their family tree; making them a bit disappointed when Shaye was born a girl. Still, they raised her as they would have regardless. Which meant actually raising the girl as a boy for as long as they could get away with it. That of course ending somewhere in-between the time when they’d caught her kissing a boy, and when she’d needed her first training bra.  Born and raised in Alhona, Shaye’s never actually been off the island before. Still, no one knows their way around the city, or its smells, better than Shaye. A fact that she’s proud of.

Personality: As gruff and tough as any Longfang, Shaye never backs down from a fight, and more often then not, is itching to start one. Due to the certain level of fragility her appearance gives off (as far as wolves go anyway) Shaye suffers a severe need to compensate for her looks. Add that to the fact that she spent the first ten years of her life being treated like a boy, and its understandable that the woman is more fierce than friendly.  Still, she is extremely loyal to her pack, and treats her alpha’s word like law, bowing down immediately. She’s curious about people who come from off island, but doesn’t really bat an eyelash as far as other supernatural types go. She’ll mingle, and won’t start a war or anything, but Shaye’s doesn’t really understand the word ‘diplomacy’. In fact, Shaye actually enjoys spending time away from her fellow Longfangs, and on occasion will purposefully stay away from them in the hopes of easing the self-inflicted pressures of proving herself.

Notes: One secret girlish obsession of hers? Jewelry.  If it sparkles or shines, Shaye will want a piece.

Krayz

Well, two things, zoar:

1) No matter how old you were, it wouldn't help if you were to get in an all-out conflict with the Coven, as the idea of the Coven is a *group* enforcing their rules. You'd get overrun by sheer numbers of younger vampires, especially since age provides only marginal physical advantage.

2) Membership in the Coven is not necessary to function in Alhona. Unless you openly disobey the Master or risk revealing the existence of vampires to humanity, there's no realistic way to get in a conflict that would make sheer power a survival necessity.

I think the best way to handle this is to say that how much power you want needs to be matched by depth and history in your profile. Post a character sheet, and if the other players and myself agree that you've earned the amount of power that you want, then you can have it. If they disagree, then you have to abide by the decision.

On a final note, this RP is meant to be primarily social; I didn't establish the rules because I expect/want a lot of fighting, but simply to provide unifying concepts. Anyone who plays enough of these kinds of roleplays that each player has a unique idea of what a [insert one of the groups] is capable of, so I provided a consistent description that each character can follow.

Nice character, btw, Sephora =D

Belladonna1

Might be interested in playing a human.  Perhaps a journalist who just happens to be vacationing solo, and who "accidentally" wanders into a private 'meeting' between vamp/lycan/magicians .. and sees more than she should have..?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.   On's & Off's are up!

Krayz

That's not the sort of thing that happens normally, Belladonna, so it'd be pretty hard to write it into a history.

If you arranged it with other players as an in-story event, however...

Sephora

course, it would quickly turn into what you want your character to be changed into.  Magician, werewolf, or vampire? 

After all, I am pretty sure that after discovery; the only options are death or getting changed.  And I'm gunna go ahead and make the assumption that you don't want to off your character :P

Krayz

Well, you can't *become* a magician; with them, you are or you aren't.

And technically, it's not an absolute do-or-die; there might be the occasional human with supernatural contacts, like willing servants to vampires, friends, etc. General public knowledge, however, isn't tolerated, so being a journalist makes things rather risky.

Sephora

Ah, my bad.  -shrugs-

I gotta say though, I am crazy excited for this rp.  How's your own personal character creation going on Krayz? ^^

Krayz

Still just a concept at the moment, Sephora, lol. I have a number of other distractions in my life at the moment, so I won't be getting on to him until things slow down or I'm holding everyone else up, lol.

And I'm glad to hear you're excited =D