The Emperor's Finest (Dark Heresy and Deathwatch)

Started by Pumpkin Seeds, October 27, 2012, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwegian One

Quote from: JohnTheGreat on October 29, 2012, 05:10:45 AM
40k RPG?
40k RPG!
I am so in (assuming you still need people, I skimmed a few posts).

If people still needed help with chargen http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhroller.html this thing should be able to knock out a DH (though not DW) in about 4 minutes.

Ooooh, sweet! Just what I needed! Thanks :D
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

JohnTheGreat

Yep, really quick and easy.

My DH character (assuming I'm in :P):

WS: 32
BS: 29
S: 30
T: 32
Ag: 38
Int: 41
Per: 34
WP: 32
Fel: 45

Wounds: 10
Fate Points: 1

Name: Cat Thebe
Homeworld: Hive World
Career: Arbitrator (If having two of the same class will be an issue I'll happily switch, this was more or less the first class that came to mind)

Build: lean
Skin Color: fair
Hair Color: dyed red
Eye Color: brown

Quirk: set of piercings (two steel.. whatever the hell you call those studs that go in the top of the ear)
Planet of Birth: If the world this is going down on is a hive world then that, otherwise the nearest hive
Divination: "The wise [wo]man learns from the deaths of others." (+3 int)

Traits: 

Basic Skills: Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int), Literacy (Int), Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites) (Int), Common Lore (Imperium) (Int), Inquiry (Fel)

Advanced Skills:

Talents: Basic Weapons Training (SP), Melee Weapons Training (Primitive), quick draw

Gear: shotgun and 12 shells, club, brass knuckles, knife, uniform (Good Quality Clothing), 3 doses of stimm, injector, Arbitrator ID, chrono, pack of lho-sticks, flack vest

Special Qualities:

Insanity Points: 0
Corruption Points: 0

Thrones: 55

History:
Cat was born among the lowest of the low (well, as low as one can go without being a mutant). Her parents where low hive scum. As well as them she had an older sister and a much older brother, as long as she can remember her parents have been useless so she was practically raised by her siblings. The brother only hung around long enough to be sure the girls could take care of themselves then mustered out with the guard. Her sister found her way into the arbites and managed to get the both of them off the streets but it didn't last long as she was killed a few months later. Despite what happened to her sister Cat joined up with the arbites the second she was old enough, the promise of warm food and a roof over her head easily outweighing her fear of bullets.

BraveEarth

I used some Excel Sheets for my rolling cause I can have everything laid out and then just copy the information. Because that this information is not readily available should I reroll new stats for the two characters?

ReijiTabibito

Question.  I found this little DH Chargenner with a collection of character sheets.  Part of it had some sort of background packages?  Does anyone know where this is from?  All I have currently is the core book...

Wargtass

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 29, 2012, 01:59:33 PM
Question.  I found this little DH Chargenner with a collection of character sheets.  Part of it had some sort of background packages?  Does anyone know where this is from?  All I have currently is the core book...

There are several sources for Background Packages, but most that I know of come from Inquisitor's Handbook or Radical's Handbook. Anyone specific that raises your brow?
O/O

ReijiTabibito

I'm playing an Arbitrator, and it has three background package offerings in the program.

The Calixian Pattern Killings
The Empty Men of Sinophia Magna
The Red Vaults of Luggnum

And it also turns out that the program requires you to roll your stats...meaning I might have to spend a while before I get the exact layout of stats I have, or something...can't import your stats, WTH?

Pumpkin Seeds

I have no problem with two Arbitrators (sp?).  Seems the two are different and we are going to have two Adepts as well.

Wargtass

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 29, 2012, 02:18:52 PM
I'm playing an Arbitrator, and it has three background package offerings in the program.

The Calixian Pattern Killings
The Empty Men of Sinophia Magna
The Red Vaults of Luggnum

And it also turns out that the program requires you to roll your stats...meaning I might have to spend a while before I get the exact layout of stats I have, or something...can't import your stats, WTH?

They can all be found in the Inquisitor's Handbook. Footnotes to follow, but if you pick any of them you should probably get your hands on the book and read the full description, since it's an indication to the GM that you want to include this somewhere along the campaign.

Calixian Pattern Killings (200xp): +5 to Intelligence or Perception. Gain Talented (Inquiry). It's a typical serial killer investigation, although it has been going on for 10,000 years. Don't show your documentations to my Psyker, apparently it fattens my insanity points...  :P

Empty Men of Sinophia Magna (100xp): Gain Hatred (Tech Heretics) and Paranoia. +1d5 insanity points. Heretecs tried to combine human and xeno genetic material. For some reason they thought that doing this on Arbitrators would work out just fine. It kind of backfired and the Arbites started mutating, resulting in a sort of law enforcement civil war.

Red Vaults of Luggnum (100xp): +3 Willpower. Gain Jaded. +1d5 Insanity Points. Classic nobel gone wild. A Lady of a mining world goes nuts and starts hunting her own subjects through the mazes of the mines with murder-servitors that crave flesh and blood. In the end the world is Castigated by the Ordo Hereticus, but there is no sign of the mad Lady.
O/O

ReijiTabibito

Got my hands on the Inqui's Handbook, and read the descriptions.  It sounds like either the CPK or the Red Vaults would be worth buying into.  The CPK for the free +5 increase to a stat of my choice, as well as the free +10 to Inquiry, and Red Vaults because it sounds like Jaded is freaking awesome, even if I have to exchange it for d5 Insanity.

Warg, you seem to have the best handle on this system.  Anything you'd recommend?

Wargtass

Depends on what sort of cop you want to be. Do you want to be more of an investigator who takes a step back and solves the case on one little detail unseen by the others? CPK is your choice.

Do you want to be the jaded tough-cop à lá Dirty Harry who doesn't afraid of anything? The kind who says "yeah, I seen this kind of thing before" when you find a Khorne Cult charnel house. Then the Vaults are your thing.

And yes, Jaded is a bit awesome, to the verge of OP.  :P
O/O

ReijiTabibito

Hm...I'll think about that.  Given the backstory, I have a predilection towards one of the two...lemme ask you this.  Could you theoretically buy the Background Package as an Elite Advance?  If so, then I do have an idea for where some of my starting 400 XP is going to be going.

Wargtass

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 30, 2012, 05:31:11 AM
Hm...I'll think about that.  Given the backstory, I have a predilection towards one of the two...lemme ask you this.  Could you theoretically buy the Background Package as an Elite Advance?  If so, then I do have an idea for where some of my starting 400 XP is going to be going.

No, Background packages can only be bought in Character creation. I have to check up if there is any limit to how many BPs you can buy.
O/O

ReijiTabibito

I see.  'Cause, and the GM will be able to help me out with this, I'm sitting here, having this dilemma of aesthetic vs practical.

The practical part of me is screaming to take the Red Vaults Background.  The WP increase is nice, but the real prize there is the Jaded Talent, which means immunity to IP gain from non-supernatural sources.  Sure, I have to start out with a few IP, but no more than 5.  And hopefully, it'll be something more like 1 or 2.

On the other hand, the GM in me, the storyteller, wants to go with CPK.  For two reasons.  One, reading the background evokes the supernatural with me, with the description of the killer.  Two, how awesome in-universe would it be to be known as the Arbitrator that solved a 10,000 year old serial murder case, and caught/killed one of the most prolific serial killers ever?

And if it helps, I'm not really interested in the Red Vaults Package as a whole...I just want Jaded.  I really, really want Jaded.

Wargtass

As a rule that I impose on myself when creating characters, I always choose character over loot. Jaded is good, yes, but is it so good that you would compromise your vision of your character for it? What do you value more, a cool talent or a cool background?

That is at least how I usually think. I recently made a Rogue Trader character out of a pure power-play approach. I was a badass mofo with a really weird background. While I enjoyed blasting heretics and xenos to bits with mind bullets, I was never really happy with how the character acted. So I started pushing my psychic powers until finally I was swallowed by the warp. But at least I crit that daemon through the face with MIND CRUSH!

So in the end you just have to step back and look at what you are building and decide yourself what kind of roof you want on it.
O/O

JohnTheGreat

What Wargtass said, character over rules at this point, especially considering this looks to be a rules light game.

Hmm, this reminds me, I haven't spent that 400 xp. Also I could use a pistol.

*edit*

I'm buying a revolver, Awareness, Pistol training (SP), Rapid reload and Drive (ground vehicle).

ReijiTabibito

Perhaps, but...the main issue is that the Arbitrator class, in none of its progressions, gets Jaded as a Talent in its Advancement Options.  Certain classes (like Assassins and Scum) getting it, I understand.  But others, like Adept and Tech-Priest?  Above Arbitrators?  Hell, the Guardsmen don't get that option in any shape.

And, not to offend, but the 'vision of the character' I have right now is incomplete.  I don't know what that vision is.  Not yet.  There are too many variables up in the air.  Maybe if I could pin down some of those variables, I'd have more luck, but...I dunno.

Granted, if I change my Homeworld Background from Void-Born to Scholastic, I'll have to buy an upgrade to WP first before I can acquire Jaded.  That or use my 1 stat swap to boost my WP instead of what I used it for...but I don't know.

Maybe the GM answering one or more of the following can help: whether or not I can buy two Packages at start; if I can use the Package in part to help justify an Elite Advance for the Talent; how much Insanity is going to factor into this game (mundane sources, of course); and maybe one other...

Wargtass

Don't forget elite advances. So far I have never played a DH game where stuff doesn't come up that justifies an elite advance to Jaded. In my mind a DH-campaign is a bit skewed if any character haven't had an excuse to elite advance stuff like Jaded at least once. The shit that Acolytes see on an almost daily basis gets them pretty screwed up in the end, so to speak.
O/O

ReijiTabibito

Right.  I'm probably going to go with CPK if I can only buy 1 package (emphasis on probably), but I'm hoping that I can use the Red Vault Background as part of a justification for an Elite Advance to buy up Jaded.

The current running bit that I have is that my Arbitrator, at some point, worked with one of the small handful of Arbitrators that survived Luggnum.  So he constantly heard stories about how bad it was, much in the way that some old war veterans will go on and on and on about their experiences in the war if you let them.  For a more kid-friendly example, think Kup from the 1986 animated Transformers movie.

Between that and all the crap I expect to run into, I'm hoping I can buy up Jaded at some point.

Wargtass

Only one Background package btw, forgot that one earlier.
O/O

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Fair enough.  And knowing that CPK costs 200 XP, I might try and wrangle the Jaded Talent for the other 200 XP (either part or all of it) we have to start with.  It'll mean I'll either have to stick to Void-Born as my Homeworld, or use my 1 stat swap to boost WP up to above 30, but we'll see.

Hey, Warg, since you're in the know about this, I was having a debate over two different Homeworlds - Void-Born vs Schola Progenium.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Wargtass

I personally prefer Schola Progenium over Void Born. The boons of Void Born seldom come up in the game while Schola characters can expect a lot of respect from imperial society. That coupled with Literacy, High Gothic and Low Gothic as trained skills and a lot of lores as basic skills, you'll be the light of the party once those investigative rolls come out. Not to mention the Weapon Trainings. To me the cons of Sheltered Upbringing are minor. Although I just rolled Grotesque mutation on my divination, but I think we'll be fine either way...  :P
O/O

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I know.  The only real downside, from where I stand, is that Void-Born get a higher WP bonus (25) compared to Scholas (20), so unless I use my one stat swap for WP, I won't be able to buy Jaded right off the bat, I'll need XP to buy one of the Arbitrator's WP Advances first.

Plus, since Arbitrators start out with Basic Weapon Training (SP) as a class bit, I can start out with Basic Weapon Training in both SP and Las, and with Pistol Training in one or the other.  So I get to save 200 XP (for 1 Basic Weapon Training and 1 Pistol Training) right off the bat.

And yeah, Sheltered Upbringing isn't that bad, since it only works upon 'the worst' sorts of people.  Your average Imperial citizen, or servant of the Emp, wouldn't qualify as that, I'd imagine.  Plus, it doesn't affect Inquiry.  And having a ton of Common Lores as starting Basic skills is always good.

Norwegian One

Remember to put your characters up in the Character thread and not here :)

And does anyone have the list of starting skills/talents for DeathWatch? :)
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: Norwegian One on October 30, 2012, 07:26:05 AM
And does anyone have the list of starting skills/talents for DeathWatch? :)

Um.. well we are marines there so probably all of them  :P
But yea, page 36 of the deathwatch book is most of them then go to the page in chapter 2 with your class on it.

Wargtass

We have a character thread? Neat!

As for starting talents they are already added to my DW-CS. Was going to put the Skills there too, but I derped.
O/O