News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Get more sleep

Started by Vekseid, April 06, 2009, 09:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090402143503.htm

Sleep is a recognized promoter of learning, but three years ago Shaw turned that association around and revealed that learning increases the need for sleep in the fruit fly. In a 2006 paper in Science, he and his colleagues found that two separate scenarios, each of which gave the fruit fly's brain a workout, increased the need for sleep.

The first scenario was inspired by human research linking an enriched environment to improved memory and other brain functions. Scientists found that flies raised in an enhanced social environment—a test tube full of other flies—slept approximately 2-3 hours longer than flies raised in isolation.

Researchers also gave male fruit flies their first exposure to female fruit flies, but with a catch—the females were either already mated or were actually male flies altered to emit female pheromones. Either fly rebuffed the test fly's attempts to mate. The test flies were then kept in isolation for two days and exposed to receptive female flies. Test flies that remembered their prior failures didn't try to mate again; they also slept more. Researchers concluded that these flies had encoded memories of their prior experience, more directly proving the connection between sleep and new memories.

Scientists repeated these tests for the new study, but this time they used flies genetically altered to make it possible to track the development of new synapses, the junctures at which brain cells communicate.

Sleep is good for teh learnings.

Lilias

I can't quite remember where I read that, but apparently there is evidence that, for every lost hour of sleep below 8, one IQ point is lost. The loss is temporary, reversible by adding more hours of sleep, but the effect is cumulative. It made me shudder at the thought of people of average intelligence losing 10-15 points by Friday... and then driving or operating anything sensitive.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Overlord

This is what I've been saying all along. I don't need an official study to know that my mental performance, or that of others, goes down when sleep-deprived.

I hear this stuff a lot from people I've worked with; they wear it like a badge of honor and feel compelled to bring it up unasked for in conversation...even though it's killing them. People that work two jobs while raising kids and still try to fit in school or fill in the blank.

Basic mathematics will show you that there's so many hours in the day. While most of us are used to multitasking online, we're absolutely horrible at it in real-life practice, especially when a full-cognizance activity is involved like driving.

Add in cellphones behind the wheel and most of us prove we can't walk and chew gum. The people I mentioned above; they just go through the day like mindless drones and aren't really capable of an attention span beyond that of five-year old.

We're not designed to do all this; we're exceeding the limits of our biology. In our efforts to keep up with the Jones’s with a big house and car and have at least two careers and still manage to squirt out a few kids that will only end up emo or drug-addicted in fifteen years because they never got enough attention in their formative years, we're taking ourselves down. I truly believe we have an epidemic on our hands, and it's even worse because most are unaware of it.

To paraphrase Carlin, nobody notices, nobody seems to care. I feel compelled to ask if we're truly masters of all our technology and society, or if they have become the master of us?