My user name change suggestion.

Started by Kenshin, October 11, 2011, 07:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenshin

I wanted to change my name and I found out it is possible, but it is a one time change that according to Elliquiys rules. I think we should be able to change our names, not all the time or whenever we wish as the rules are set for a reason but sometimes. I think that perhaps it can be a privilege of donators, or could be purchased for $5 dollars.

What does everyone think about this?

Kye

You used to be able to change your username at will, but it became very confusing. I personally like that it's something you can only do once or twice, and only with good reason.

Nessy

It is confusing and a little annoying to have usernames constantly changed. People change their names, and then pretend like they have never talked to you before when you have. It can get a little odd.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Envious

I dislike the fact that I can't change my username when I want to, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it. I feel like I should be able to re-invent myself when the fancy strikes.

Kenshin

Unfortunately my name is what I used to use everywhere, so I can most likely be found elsewhere, the problem is, I don't want to be found here.

Caeli

You are welcome to PM a staff member with your request to change your username.

Obviously, you'd only be able to change it once, but I feel like having that restriction will make people think harder about what name they want to cultivate themselves under on this site. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kenshin

Quote from: Caeli on October 11, 2011, 11:03:57 PM
You are welcome to PM a staff member with your request to change your username.

Obviously, you'd only be able to change it once, but I feel like having that restriction will make people think harder about what name they want to cultivate themselves under on this site. :)

I made my request to a goddess already, thank you :) I have reason to believe someone is attempting to gather data on me, so I want to change my name until that gets sorted. Perhaps forever, however I wish I could go back to my name --censored-- sometime in the future if I wished.

Oniya

It may be best to proceed under the assumption that - as the current rules state - the change is going to be one-time only.  Put some thought into what name you would want to be known as, given that restriction.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

Quote from: Nessy on October 11, 2011, 09:37:11 PM
It is confusing and a little annoying to have usernames constantly changed. People change their names, and then pretend like you have never talked to you before when you have. It can get a little odd.
I think in specific cases like that where it appears to you that members are being deliberately deceitful it would be worth informing a member of staff. I too have run foul of name changers much to my embarrassment. It really should not be allowed, or if/when it does occur maybe we could have an annnouncements area somewhere in the help section of the forum so that there can be no confusion.

Trieste

The name-changing previously did get rather ridiculous, and caused problems not only for our membership but for staff, which does try to keep a handle on members who are developing patterns of deceit or manipulation, etc. So it was code-enforced that the display name could not be changed except by an admin. The restriction to one-time-only was due to the fact that some people were changing their names multiple times in a week or, in extreme cases, in a day. Frankly, while every single member of the staff is eager and willing to help the members even with what might seem like trivialities, we are all volunteers and we do not have unlimited time. We're not unreasonable and definitely don't want to answer users with, "No! You're stuck with that goofy display name for.ev.er!" but we also wanted to make sure that weighted consideration was given to name change requests by the requestee. The method of ensuring that is to limit the number of possible changes to one.

So that's the reasoning.

Kenshin

Well I very much appreciate you volunteers making the site a much safer, high quality place.

Trieste

You're, er, welcome. :) From the tone of your post, I think you possibly interpreted my post as an intent to shut down the discussion. It was not. We're interested in suggestions and improvements, it's just that I thought I would provide the reasons and the history.

WhiteTigerForever

I wished in the past to change my user name because when I first applied, the email I put down was the wrong one and so I had to add an extra word.  Now though... my acronym is infamous and makes people smile....so I couldn't change it for all those I've grown to know and love.  When they smile from my acronym, I smile..XD
Not accepting new roles but Photoshop riches await you instead.

jouzinka

Quote from: Envious on October 11, 2011, 09:40:12 PM
I dislike the fact that I can't change my username when I want to, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it. I feel like I should be able to re-invent myself when the fancy strikes.
With all due respect, I've -never- encountered a forum where changing one's username at one's free will was allowed until E and at that time I was eyeing it with certain suspicion.

On one hand we were told to sign in and fill in the questionnaire as US - not our favorite character, not who we'd want to be, but us as we are - on another hand we were permitted to switch coats (so to say) indefinitely. And many weren't hesitant to use that prerogative, so it often happened you were contacted by a username you didn't recognize and had to plod through their posting history to find out who they used to be (you know, quotes hold the old username always, regardless of the change) and what you were talking about in those previous instances.

As Nessy pointed out, having people contact you, who thought it amusing to pretend the two of you never talked and never met did get a little odd - as long as the posting history is accessible, it's a lie very short lived - not to mention it did get very old very quickly. And while changing usernames did have its moments (most notably before Halloween), I, for one, am glad it's gone.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

olive

I agree, I think changing usernames more than once is confusing to the community as a whole. On the other hand, many folks wander in not really having experienced anything like E before. They simply type in whatever comes to mind so they can get in the door.

My suggestion would be to make a little disclaimer on the MAIN page that states something along the lines of "Chose your username wisely. Changes are at the discretion of staff. Maximum one change per user's lifetime."

I think that might help. Then, in the event a change is desired it won't simply be because they typed in random words or letters without any forethought.

Other sites do not allow users to change names, as a rule but other sites sometimes allow multiple accounts from the same ISP. For example, if I don't like my user name on facebook, I can always delete that account and sign up fresh with a new email address and a new name. I think that is more the norm. That option (thankfully) is not available at E.

olive

Ryven

Having partaken in the name changing in the past (on a purely seasonal basis i.e. Scaryven for Halloween and Red-nosed Ryven for Christmas), I understand and support the restriction staff put into place for the changing of names because while it can be fun to 'dress yourself up' for an occasion, it certainly isn't fair to use that power to trick or deceive others.  I wouldn't want it to happen to me, and I certainly wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else on here who I call a friend.  E has become a retreat for me, and I like seeing it evolve and change for the better.  This happened to be one such change that I felt was necessary and helpful for E as a whole.

The Dark Raven

I do sort of miss the holiday changes (it was cute to see what folks could come up with), but for sake of clarity, I think it is better this way.  We can still change our user avatars at will, which can stand in for holiday name changes, or as the mood strikes us. 

If a person wants to reinvent themselves completely, I think it is better done through actions, and not a name change. :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

WhiteTigerForever

Quote from: Kenshin on October 12, 2011, 03:28:57 AM
I made my request to a goddess already, thank you :) I have reason to believe someone is attempting to gather data on me, so I want to change my name until that gets sorted. Perhaps forever, however I wish I could go back to my name --censored-- sometime in the future if I wished.

ok..wow.. that's creepy... many people take on different usernames when in here because they wish E to be a private sanctuary from the internet and rl world.  Maybe they will grant you this, but it probably should have been taken into consideration when submitting your user name... sorry:(   But your user name did catch my eye and I am a huuuuuge Rurouni Kenshin fan and a global mod at a now dead forum.. lol... All the big forums have integrated all the anime into one, thus the big forums..XD.  I can't complain though, that's how I met my amazing husband!  ;D

Oniya

Actually, Kenshin is the new name, and why the 'censored' is in the earlier post now.  (Wouldn't do much good to cover one's tracks and then leave the old name out there.)  A lot of people are fairly impulsive when they choose a user name, and a few realize that they'd like something different after they've gotten in.  That's typically why a name-change is asked for.  The rampant, willy-nilly changes got too confusing for a very large forum a year or so ago, and that's why the policy was implemented.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

WhiteTigerForever

AAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh but then he picked a fine 2nd user name..XD!  Kenshin is my favorite all time anime figure, though there are also some other amazing characters from different animes also, boy I could huuuuooook him up on pics and siggys ..lmao!

Haibane

Kenshin has a new stalker already!  8-)

WhiteTigerForever

aaaaaaaaha ha ha ha ha ha... naaaaaaaaaawwww I have enough trouble with my own stalkers...XD and my husband wouldn't like that very much.  WE just got married toooo!  He is here at the forum also.. lmao...

He actually sat and watched the entire anime for me, even past the epic arc of Shishio....and everything was crap after that.  He then watched both O.V.A.s.. My man and kids are my world.. and great writing fun on the side!

MystixLady

I have a question on the change of username. Is the change on the displayed name on the forum or out login id or both?

Lilias

The change affects only the display name; the login remains the same. If you want your login changed as well, that's a job for Vekseid only.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI