Thunderbolt? Or Droid 3?

Started by Trieste, October 09, 2011, 10:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

I have an upgrade coming with my cell phone company, and I'm trying to decide between these two phones. A few notes:

I really, really, really, really like the physical QWERTY of the Droid 3. Like, that's such a big deal to me. But the landscape view of the virtual keyboard on the Thunderbolt is pretty roomy and I'd probably eventually get used to it.

My area doesn't have 4G coverage, so it doesn't currently matter to me whether the phone has 3G or 4G.

I want an android OS phone, but I don't know the differences between Gingerbread (which the Droid 3 has) and Froyo (the Thunderbolt).

I'm leaning toward the Droid 3, but is the Thunderbolt really that much better of a phone?

Aiden

I have a thunderbolt and I love the phone, the only issue with the thunderbolt I have is its low life battery. This phone sucks energy like no other, but to me it isn't a problem since I always have something to power it. Car charger, nearby usb port, wall outlet etc. Since you are in school, I am not sure how accessible you are to charging your phone but that is my only issue with the phone.

On the keyboard, I can assure you the spacing is great even for my clumsy ass fingers, something I hated about the Iphone.

No comment on the OS, since I am not familiar with the Droid 3.

Trieste

What do you use it for, and how long does the battery life last you with your normal usage? I ask because half the time, I'm in class and I'm not actively using my phone, not even to check the time (I have a watch for that). It goes on silent and gets only the occasional text message. Then, in between classes, I'm usually in the library (on my laptop rather than the phone), in the gym (using it only for the occasional text message), or I'm working (and thus have access to outlets). So battery life isn't necessarily a huge issue for me as long as it can last about 4 hours (preferably closer to 6 or 8) without being charged.

Is it your first smartphone?

Falanor

I'm sporting an Evo Shift, runs Gingerbread, and while it does have battery life issues (most smartphones now do) there's a few things you can do to mitigate it (Apps and management of active features).  As far as the Droid 3 v. Thunderbolt goes I'd choose the QWERTY board everyday over the virtual one.  Past that the phones are fairly comparable and Thunderbolt will eventually be on Gingerbread so that won't be a concern (the updates are rolling out slowly as of the 28th of September, I believe).  So for me it would depend entirely on the physical features of the phone.  If you want a keyboard, get the Droid 3.  Otherwise the Thunderbolt will be a nice piece of tech in the hand.

Aiden

Besides a hacked I-phone, it is my first legit smartphone.

My usage varies, I am not a social media person but love apps. For what you describe, the phone should not be an issue then. It is when you start using the maps, dps, browsing, searching videos etc is when you realize the battery draining powers of the thunderbolt.

If I am using it heavily, then I can guess it at about 4-6 hours before it starts warning me.

For what you describe, it should be no issue. My phone mostly runs my IM and text and it lasts me the entire day.

Trieste

Thanks so much for the info. <3

I actually went to the store today and handled them both for a good amount of time. I think I'm kind of sold on the Droid 3 at this point. >.>

Thanks for the help!

NileGoddess

Even if you have pretty much made up your mind Trieste, I'd still throw my vote in for the Droid 3. I have a Droid 2, and like you said, I love the keyboard, since the touch screen isn't all that big. Well, for me, that is.

I'm not sure if I like the blocky look of the 3, though. The 2 is a little sleeker.

Trieste

Looking at the Droid 2, it appears to be a slightly better phone, hardware-wise, than the Droid 3. I wonder why that is...

NileGoddess

No idea. When I saw it in person, I thought it looked like a step back.