Hogwarts Rebuilt (Almost ready to start)

Started by kckolbe, September 18, 2012, 09:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kdyami

Ok not a problem. Though question. What's the B stand for?
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kdyami

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

kckolbe

Not a problem.  Right now we are at six approved PCs, with Photo and Beta working up secondary characters, so I definitely feel comfortable running two Houses.  In addition, we still have some other folks working on theirs.  I am still accepting more players, by the way, with a slight preference toward female characters.  I would also like to see an academic type or duelist type if that helps, and more Quidditch players are always welcome. 

So, based on the characters thrown out so far, which Houses do you think they should be?  If I had to guess I would say Slytherin and Ravenclaw seem pretty likely.

Also, what ages, and school years would you like to see?  I don't expect everyone to be in the same year, but if we could get all of the students into 2-3 years I think that would work well.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Slytherin and Ravenclaw would be good, I think. Could switch Gustav out from Ravenclaw, which is where I initially wanted him; he'd fit in better in Slytherin. And then Alphonse could be in Ravenclaw.

Personally, I'd like to see them in the middle years. Maybe 5th and 6th years? Also, how are you fluffing out the years and such? Since, traditionally, kids attended the school at... what, 13? How is the discrepancy explained?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

The normal starting age was 11, but that will likely not be the case here.  Due to the sometimes dangerous nature of the school, it was agreed that such education would be put on hold for a number of years to be determined by us.

And for everyone, don't pick a House for your PCs yet, just a couple of Houses that you think would fit.  I want to split up the cast somewhat evenly and don't want you getting too attached to the idea of being in a certain House.  Again, if there are considerations you want me to follow (like having your two chars be in different Houses or wanting to be in the same or different House as another character), please PM me with them.

Intro Thread

Kdyami

Id like Ravenclaw if I get a choice, but I'll go wherever the sorting hat sends me.  As for years I'm open.  Ideally the start of 6th, having finished OWLs and preparing for NEWTs.  But 5th year preparing for OWLs could be cool too. So I'd agree with HangedMan 5th/6th.  But like I said I'm open to general consensus, or GM decision.  It's all good.

Photo

I had this in mind when I made Vexa, so she's a third year at the age of 19. And considering how weak our characters our, we can do very powerful things, but none of us are exemplar wizard types, since we had an unrestrained cap of 4 while in creation (by unrestrained cap, it was suggested to stay below 5, but its ok if it makes sense). So I like the idea that we're all in our first four years, still unsure of powerful we could actually be.

Also, yes, Vexa is a seeker,
and it would be neat if she was a slytherin, while her older brother (my other character, coming soon) was a ravenclaw, and they competed against each other!

oh snap!

that would would be sooo much fun, what do you think, Kckolbe, the actual houses don't matter much to me, but it would be cool if she was such a black-sheep, the sorting hat figured she would be better away from her siblings, separating their houses accordingly. She could be a Slytherin or a Ravenclaw at this point, and i would make her older brother a huge antagonist for her, since controlling one player on two separate sides of the quidditch (field) has huge godmode potential, and I don't plan on taking advantage of that.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

19 might be a bit high for a third year, as that would be six years older than students had been.  It is possible, if everyone is okay with that.  I think 3rd year is as low as I would want PCs to be.  That way they can be in elective classes.

I am definitely okay with splitting up a player's characters.  Were you saying that you would want me to control one of your characters when they compete against each other?  I am willing to do that, just making sure we are on the same page.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

How about this for an idea? Character start school at 16 (the youngest age you can have on E, if I remember correctly). So it would be almost like a college, now; maybe say their was some sort of magical school before this that dealt with theoretical things, and imparted the importance of maturity and responsibility and such?

Or maybe it was all just history and arithmancy and stuff like that?

Though if we did that, I would need to adjust Gustav's age a bit, to make him Post-OWLS.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

While I've seen Hogwarts college settings go over well, I would rather keep it the same school with just a slightly higher age of enrollment.  I was thinking first years need to be at least 14, since I don't plan on having PCs under year 3. 

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

BetaBonk

Time for a little more detail... as to Houses...

Main Char: the boi with a knack for critters, let's call him Danner Higginbotham, half-blood.  Really strikes me as a Hufflepuff, but Ravenclaw might take him.

Secondary Char: the energetic sports-gal, she'll be Daria Dippet, pureblood... and no possible candidate for Ravenclaw  XD she could do well just about anywhere else, however.

Sephiriel

Here go mine:

FIRST CHARACTER SHEET
Name:  Charlize Renard
Nationality: British
Pureblood (second generation)
Year: 4th
House: Hufflepuff
Distinguishing Features: shoulderlength curly red hair, amber eyes, full lips. Lean, slender constitution, a small chest, very long legs. 
Personality: Charlize is likely to never be found standing alone. Always a small group around her, always in the middle of a crowd, among friends – which never seem to lack in number – or chatting casually with her teachers. Basically everyone seems to like her and she seems to love everyone. While not probably the most popular student at Hogwarts, Charlize is definitely amongst the privileged. Talkative, spontaneous, the life of the party, always in a good disposition. Not much of an athlete and also less fond of studying, she compensates through humor, charm and oratorical speech. One of her best qualities is the gift of storytelling and sometimes she tends to relate events in a better light than it actually happened. 
Background: There isn’t much to tell about her family, except that she has two loving parents and no siblings. Her closest friend is actually her cousin, a non-magic who now works at Gringotts. 
Interesting fact: Charlize is very fond of cute, small pets, but strangely frightened by anything not fitting into this category. Large animals and even medium sized ones are to be avoided at all times, according to her mindset.

WAND: Wood Macassar Ebony, Length 15 1/4 inches, Veela hair core

NUMBERS
Agility: 2
Animal handling: 2
Athletics: 2
Awareness: 3  - Empathy: Determine true intentions 1
Cunning: 3      - Memory: Recall useful information when the time is needed 1
Deception: 3    - Disguise:  Concealing ones identity visually 1
Endurance: 3   - Fortitude:  A chance to resist spells 1
Fighting: 2
Knowledge: 2
Magical Expertise: 3
Magical Projection: 4
Magical Studies: 3  - Defense Against the Dark Arts 1
Marksmanship: 2
Persuasion: 4           - Charm 1, Convince 1
Reflexes: 3
Status: 3     - Reputation: you are able to make yourself seem and appear more important then your actual position warrants 1
Stealth: 2
Will: 4

Qualities
Charismatic:  Choose a Persuasion Specialty, gain +2 bonus to all tests with that Specialty. (Convince)
Compelling: Gain +1 to Influence with Charismatic Specialty in Social Combat.

Disadvantages
Supreme Arrogance:   You take a penalty to all Awareness tests equal to your Status rank.

Derived Stats
Intrigue Defense = 6
Composure = 12
Combat Defense = 4
Health = 9
Passive resistance = 12/16
Damage = 1 (armed)/ 0 (unarmed)
Movement=  4
Sprint = 16

SECOND CHARACTER SHEET
Name: Basil Brancoveanu
Nationality: Romanian
Muggleborn
Year: 6th
House: Hufflepuff
Distinguishing Features: broad forehead, proeminent cheekbones, defined chin, firm features of the face. Broad shoulders, fairly tall, stands out in a crowd. His muscles are not very toned, but well defined, shows signs of a beer belly. Has a strange habit to always stand, almost never sits. Hair colour: brown, has a buzz cut. Eye colour: green.
Skin tone: fair.
Personality: not a very talkative person, likes to keep to himself. He suffers from the “new guy complex”, feeling like he doesn’t fit anywhere except when he’s on the soccer field or in training. Usually he shows a very disciplined, army-type behaviour and acts extremely friendly only when huge amounts of alcohol are involved. He really likes to drink and is rather enjoying it than being addicted.
Background: born and raised in the Romanian fields, Basil is the eldest child of five and the son of a sheperd. He discovered his magical talents at the age of nine, when a wolf attacked his father’s herd. His grandmother saw young Basil throwing a stick in the air which caught fire instantly and she knew he had the blessing. She was the village exorcist and main healer. Her passion and knowledge of healing herbs and potions was passed on to Basil.
Interesting fact: Basil is actually very religious, although he’s seen more as an occultist in the school than a good athlete. Probably due to his romanian heritage, where curses and demonical possesions seem to fill the folklore.

WAND: Snakewood, Ebony, Maple ,16 1/4 inches, Unknown core, Warped

NUMBERS

Agility: 3                  *Acrobatics: Perform flips, tumbles, balance, somersaults 1
Animal handling: 2
Athletics: 4              *Strength: Aids in tests where physical strength is required 1
                              *Throw: Used for objects not designed to be thrown 1
Awareness:2 
Cunning: 2     
Deception: 2 
Endurance: 3         *Stamina: Better chance to recover from injuries and wounds 1
Fighting: 4             *Unarmed 1
Knowledge: 2
Magical Expertise: 2
Magical Projection: 3
Magical Studies: 3    *Potions 1
Marksmanship: 2
Persuasion: 2           
Reflexes: 4
Stealth: 2
Will: 3

Qualities
Talented*: Choose an Ability, gain +1 for all tests with that Ability (Fighting)
Lucky: Once per in game week OR once per chapter, whichever comes first, reroll one test, take the best result.

Disadvantages
Alcoholic: When faced with a troubling situation, must make a Formidable (12) Will test, or turn to alcohol (or drugs) to calm your nerves.  While intoxicated, you have a -2 penalty to all tests.  If you are in a place where alcohol is readily available, you become roaring drunk and have a -2D penalty.  Penalties remain until you get a good night's sleep.  Each hour of sleep, make a Challenging (9) Endurance test.  Success reduces the penalty by 1 (3 reductions equal 1D).  If no alcohol is available within the hour of failing the test, you go into withdrawal and suffer a -1D penalty.  You also must make a Hard (15) Will test to resist any readily available alcoholic drink.  This drawback may be substituted for another addictive drug.

Derived Stats
Intrigue Defense =  4
Composure = 9
Combat Defense =  7
Health = 9
Passive resistance = 12/12
Damage = 3 (armed)/ 2 (unarmed)
Movement=  4
Sprint = 16

TheHangedOne

Hahaha. I can't wait to see what happens when Charlize gets to meet Mori, who, in typical cat fashion, will likely be going, to himself, "Yessss, human. You are wise to fear me." Evil, evil creatures, they are.
Check out my poet tree!

Sephiriel

Yes, a clash of the social creatures ( I suppose it's fair to call it that). Yummy  ::)

kckolbe

Hm, perhaps Alphonse should be in the same House as Chalize then.  How would everyone feel about Hufflepuff and Slytherin for the two PC Houses?

Intro Thread

BetaBonk

Secondary character as approved by GM:

Second Char; Daria Dippet
Agility 4 - - Fly 1B
Animal Handling 2
Athletics 3 - - Strength 1B
Awareness 3
Cunning 2
Deception 2
Endurance 3 - - Stamina 1B
Fighting 3
Knowledge 2
Magical Expertise 3 - - Conjuration 1B
Magical Projection 3
Magical Studies 2
Marksmanship 3 - - Thrown 1B
Persuasion 2
Reflexes 4 - - Dodge 1B
Status 3
Stealth 2
Will 3

Qualities:
Hardy
(1 Destiny Point reserved)

Intrigue Defense=5
Composure= 9
Combat Defense=7
Health= 9
Passive Resistance= 12, 12
Damage= 2, 1, 4
Movement= 4
Sprint= 16

Descriptions & backstory to follow.

Sephiriel

Btw, do pets have magical properties or anything of the sort? *thinking of Mori*

TheHangedOne

Well, Mori, despite being only half-kneazle, does have all the tendencies and traits of a full one.

By the way, should I stat him out? How would I do that?
Check out my poet tree!

BetaBonk

Here are the RP details for my two characters:

Main Char, Danner Higginbotham
Name: Danner Higginbotham
Family: half-blood, witch mother
Sexuality: Bi, prefers guys; usually submissive, but seductive when it serves his purpose

House:

Description: Physically slight, if not downright delicate, his boyish appearance is exaggerated by his habit of using Madam Milkin's Fuzz-Begone depilatory cream on every part of his body he can reach.  A mop of wavy brown-gold hair and a cupid's-bow mouth complete the effect.
Character:  Precociously sexual practically from the start, he learned some harsh lessons in his youth and while at Hogwarts keeps a much tighter rein on his sensuality.  Nonetheless, he has earned a certain reputation, and isn't at all embarrassed by it.  He will still use his charms quite happily when he thinks the situation warrants it.
When he first arrived at school, he wasn't sure he belonged there at all.  The only useful tool for advancement or achievement he ever had was sex, and he could not see what Hogwarts had to teach him about that.  But in his first year, while wandering away from his teachers, he stumbled across a paddock containing a dangerous three-headed dog intended for a seventh-year course.  The instructor was more than a little nonplussed to find the beast playing happily with the lad as if they had been pals forever.  It was then that Danner discovered his charms went beyond the sensual -- he adored animals and they returned the favor.  And so he now applies himself towards a future career he could not have imagined before entering Hogwarts.

Wand: Silver Maple, 10 inches, narrow and springy, Unicorn tail (+1 rays, -1 fighting)
Animal: Boreal Owl named Buggaboo.

Secondary Char, Daria Dippet
Name: Daria Dippet
Family: respected pureblood, at least 4 generations
Sexuality: hetero

House:

Description: A curvaceous lass sometimes described as “big-boned”, but there's as much muscle as puppy-fat there.  She has a bright and pretty face, mostly unremarkable but for the dimples in her cheeks, and long straight blond hair that she wears loose except when competing, when she usually does it up in coiled braids.
Character: Parents often call her “high-spirited” or “a handful,” but teachers usually say “hellion” and “trouble-maker.”  As if on a permanent sugar-high, making Daria sit still would be a job for a battalion of aurors.  At home, she has proved to be an expensive child, what with the dirty clothing from all her outdoor romps, and the collateral damage from her habit of moving at top speed and her apparent delight in colliding with things.
At Hogwarts, it is apparent to all that she is not there for the book-learning.  Although not at all stupid, her patience for scholastic subjects is almost nonexistent.  It is the sports that fire her enthusiasm, and she has thrown herself into Quidditch with her usual energy.

Wand: Teak, 9 inches, rather stiff, Dragon Heart-string
Animal: an abnormally large and sometimes aggressive rat called Sabretooth.

Photo

I'm down for hufflepuff and Slytherin, it would be very interesting if Vexa was a hufflepuff. It would perplex her, for sure (this would make her brother's slytherin). I like the idea of her dressed in gold.

and I suppose you could play Vexa's older brother during the quidditch matches, that makes sense to me. More sense than what i had in mind.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

kckolbe

Kinda tired, so will think on the kneazle as I am not familiar with them.  I will update the rules later, btw, but I have decided that longswords do dmg equal to ath as opposed to ath-1.  Small, light weapons (daggers) will do ath-1 or agi-2, whichever is higher. 

IMPORTANT INFO/QUESTIONS
If no one objects to Hufflepuff and Slytherin, then we will go with that.  The only other viable option would be Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.  When designing your character, please list whether muggle-born, mudblood, or pureblood.  If pureblood, please tell me how many generations of pureblood your char can claim (1, 2, or 3+).  There will be no mechanical benefits for this choice, but will affect RP.  If in Slytherin, the members of your House will know your blood status.  If in Hufflepuff, you may be able to have kept it secret.

Also, the last call made was that 1st year students would be either 14 or 15, then just add one year for every school year higher.  If this has a considerable impact on your char, please say so here.

We are getting close to the end of recruiting.  More chars welcome, particularly female chars as the m:f ratio is above 2:1, which usually means trouble.  I will update the first post with desired character types. 

Thanks to everyone who has been active so far.  I really appreciate all of the input and, more importantly, the energy I have seen.  I have much higher hopes for this round.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Gustav is pure blood, 7 generations (and like many pure families, they have a very detailed family tree).

Both of Alphonse's parents were half-bloods, so would that make him a half-blood, too?  ???

Also, I will be going back and just tweaking both of their ages, to keep it consistent.

Edit: Gustav is 19. Alphonse is 17.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

That means he is a first generation pure blood.  While there were witches and wizards for generations before that, he is the first direct descendant of a witch and wizard since the last bit of "taint."

Intro Thread