News:

Main Menu

Resident Evil is silly

Started by Sabby, April 26, 2009, 11:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Okay, I just spent a near sleepless weekend finished RE4 Wii Edition. Done absolutely everything there is to do in it. Every secret, every weapon, every expansion. Its been played to absolute death. And I've come to a realization.

The script in this thing is a mess.

I was talking to Ryu about it for a while, who knows a lot about RE, and he seems to agree. The action sequences are all really great, but characters, hints at past events, dialogue, anything to do with story, whether past or present, seems way too vague and more and more is introduced without ever really making any attempt to tie off any of the loose ends. And when you throw more and more string together without tying it off, you get a tangle. And this is one big tangle where only the general premise is clear and everything else seems like its stuff you really should know about already but don't.

And don't get me started on those two expansion packs... Separate Ways and Assignment Ada were so lazy its not funny. Sure, there were a few new cut scenes, one new weapon, but it was just highlights of the game replayed with a new character skin, melee attack and even more unneeded plot extension. It repeated that big armed guy fight scene two more times, for fucks sake. How does this guy continually manage to fall over with a hole in his chest, then manage to get up later on for an identical boss fight?

And the second expansion was just that same as the old one, but a quarter the length and with a silly fetch quest.

Inkidu

Play five it answers a lot of questions.

Big armed guy is Krauser. How much attention did you pay? :D

1997 to 2005ish over six games and God knows how many little games in between. You're going to get some story confusion.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.