News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What MMOs do people roleplay on? (besides WoW)

Started by Liuli, December 30, 2010, 05:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liuli

I'm interested in the input of fellow RPers, especially adult RPers, regarding which MMOs they find RP on.

I've been playing Age of Conan for a long while and had quite a roleplay run on the game, yet the RP community there crumbled from 20 people in an RP guild a night down to 2. I'm taking a look at Warhammer Online this days and the situation seems the same there. I'm hearing that LOTRO has a lot of RP yet that the RP there is centered around flower picking and hobbit hugging... Naive and cuddly is what I'm told, and that does not sound too interesting. World of Warcraft I really don't want to even think about as that game just looks dreadful.

Is there an MMO I'm missing with a more flourishing RP community?
Please don't PM me if you haven't read my adv thread. I don't play in freeform games.

Oniya

There are a couple of threads in the On Topic area regarding guilds and such on various MMO servers. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nathan Malreaux

Actually, LOTRO isn't really about flower-picking, not any more then WoW is.

On average per starting race/location, you get right into killing enemy npcs as soon as you start, and go after goblins and orcs anywhere from level 5 to 15. At level 20, you go into skirmishes, which are instances you or a fellowship are exclusive with. Very high-level difficulty.

I highly recommend LOTRO.

grdell

Quote from: Nathan Malreaux on December 30, 2010, 07:20:13 PM

+1

Flower picking is optional...  ;)
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Shjade

Quote from: Nathan Malreaux on December 30, 2010, 07:20:13 PM

On average per starting race/location, you get right into killing enemy npcs as soon as you start, and go after goblins and orcs anywhere from level 5 to 15. At level 20, you go into skirmishes, which are instances you or a fellowship are exclusive with. Very high-level difficulty.

The topic: role-play content in MMOs.

What you answered with: the gameplay mechanics in an MMO.

Sorta missing the point there, Nathan.

That said, I can't say I've seen much in the way of "flower-picking" in LotRO's RP. What I have seen is a lot of relationship drama (who's fucking who and why they're doing it), overblown attempts at villainy (if I have to hear one more plot to take over/destroy Bree, I'm gonna have to slap somebody), and surprisingly organized guild activities and location-relevant events (dance and drinking competitions at the taverns around Bree, mainly, in the latter category). Like any other MMO it's partly a you-get-out-what-you-put-in situation, but it's at least a fairly good atmosphere for RP, depending on which server you choose, in that it has considerably less griefing than I've seen in most any other MMO. Even Champions Online had people stomping over RP events more often than I've seen in LotRO's publically-broadcast gatherings.

Plus, it's gone free to play now, so if you're just looking for an RP arena (as in you're not playing to raid and max out, which would almost certainly involve paying something into the game at some point) it's very hard to beat LotRO as far as 3d visuals go for that kind of fun.

Has a fair list of drawbacks and weaknesses as well (chat buffer size, extremely limited character creation options, existence of hobbits, etc.), but all in all it's probably the top of my list for MMO RP recommendations. Hard to argue with Free as the price tag to give something a try and see if you like it.

Other MMOs I've tried where I found RP: Star Wars Galaxies (years ago, before they did the whole combat overhaul thing) - so-so quality, almost entirely sex-oriented for some reason (I suspect the Dancer job tree and associated clothing is responsible); Champions Online - very hit or miss; some groups and individuals are quite engaging, others are, well...vampire emo goth demon heroes who save the world with bazookas because murder is cool, man...yeah; City of Heroes/Villains - see Champions Online; Everquest - almost nonexistent, basically restricted to finding a few interested individuals and making what you can with them.

All in all, I can't say MMOs are my first thought when considering online RP venues. They are almost universally games before they are role-playing stages, meaning most of the players are there for the gaming and not the opportunity to roleplay and the mechanics support that mindset, meaning if you're there to RP you're in the minority and it will quickly become evident that this is the situation. If I had to pick one, though, LotRO would be it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

kckolbe

LOTRO definitely had a great RP community, but since going free to play it has gone slightly downhill.  I'm kinda holding out for the new Star Wars MMO.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

I've done a bit of RP in both WAR and CoX, but haven't been subscribed to either is quite some time now, so can't tell you what they're like these days.

City of Heros used to have a group that met up regularly, and anyone who was in the area with them could join in the IC character stuff. I did a time or two with my main hero, Dominus Nox.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

abandoneddolly

Lotro is my new obseesion , but Im sort of a tolken nerd anyway

kckolbe

(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Liuli

Thanks for the tip about the 'on topic' forum, been going over the recent pages of it and so far no luck finding threads about MMOs, but will dig further. :)

QuoteAll in all, I can't say MMOs are my first thought when considering online RP venues. They are almost universally games before they are role-playing stages, meaning most of the players are there for the gaming and not the opportunity to roleplay and the mechanics support that mindset, meaning if you're there to RP you're in the minority and it will quickly become evident that this is the situation. If I had to pick one, though, LotRO would be it.
That is the source of my problem - I do enjoy gaming. I don't seek an MMO to serve as purely a graphical chat interface like many RPers do, I'm looking for a game where I can enjoy both a gaming experience and RP alongside it to imbue the game with some life. This is part of the reason I'm not at all drawn to LOTRO (or Sociolotron for that matter). Another reason would probably be I'm burned with that setting after those dreadful movies. Went to the lotro site and a trailer for it started... Made me give up before trying a trial even.

I think I might try Champions Online, with it becoming free to play soon. Warhammer seems pretty RP dead, just two guilds with 1~2 online members each night. Hopefully SWTOR will have a more flourishing RP community, though that's still half a year or more away.
Please don't PM me if you haven't read my adv thread. I don't play in freeform games.

AllieCat

Quote from: kckolbe on December 31, 2010, 09:10:02 PM
Does anyone on the site play Sociolotron?

I used to (won't get into my character name or nothin).. but haven't for about a year. :)

kckolbe

Yeah, I cancelled my subscription after about two days.  Ah well, I had to know.

Intro Thread

Zoophilian

I was in the DC Universe online Beta and found quite a bit of rp there, The game is largely an Action mmorpg, Meaning no wait time to use powers or toggles, Fast hitting combo's and so on, To dodge you actualy have to roll out of the way of attacks, To block you have to hold the block butten and so on. I found some nice rp there, Servers go live Tuesday Iam hoping many of the people return and we can contenue playing in it ^^ It was fun and pretty awesome environment. Well anyway thats my two cents about Rp and MMO's ^.^

kckolbe

From what I've seen, the biggest problem with F2P isn't usually the limitations but the player base.  The people that pay to participate want the game to be worth the money, and are far less likely to go around griefing everyone because they are bored.

Intro Thread

AllieCat

I'm thinking of trying that new DC Superhero MMORPG that comes out tommorrow, :)

Zoophilian

I was in the Beta from the start, DCUO unlike Champions is a quality game (No offense NCSoft but ya suck since you stopped workin on CoH!) Get to work  with your favorite heroes, Fully voiced, Many voices from the Animated series so familiar to all, Esspecialy Harley Quinn, Batman and Joker stand out in that respect But iam not here to sell you the game >_> Even if it is awesome, When I was in the beta I found rp all around GOtham and Metropolis. Theres nothing like prowling the rooftops rping with ya buddy and running into a random event encounter, For instance me and a buddy were doing just that, Being all cool going from rooftop to rooftop when we stopped noticing a badguy marker on our minimap down on e aledge on the next building, We were expecting a peon trying to break in so my partner charged ahead whiel I hung back (Grabbing a sip of my milk!) When I suddenly see him go flying off the building knocked out, Next thing I know Harley Quinn is chasing me with a very big hammer >_> Needless to say, She won.

LunarSage

Quote from: AllieCat on January 10, 2011, 07:44:26 AM
I'm thinking of trying that new DC Superhero MMORPG that comes out tommorrow, :)

Tomorrow?  I thought it didn't come out until the 18th.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Hemingway

I've never been able to get into RP in any MMO but WoW. WAR was a disaster in that regard, and Champions Online wasn't really any better.

I'm excited about The Old Republic myself, both for gameplay and for RP purposes.

Hemingway

Steam also says it unlocks tomorrow. And that's despite the fact I'm in Europe and games tend to release a few days later than in the US.

LunarSage

Huh, weird.  Wal Mart told me the release date was the 18th, but I believe you guys.

Zoophilian

The Steam preorder will be released in exactly 20hours andsome off minutes, Definately tomarrow, Originaly the date was set for like march, But aparently the beta did more than they hoped cause now.. well... Its tomarrow ^.^

Liuli

Yes DCUO seems to have come out with a date on quite a short notice, I expected it to still be months away. I'm wishing to try it but with no free trials to come out any time soon (I'm assuming)... Bit timid about throwing the 50$ away and then discovering I won't like it.

How are the servers looking so far? I'm guessing they didn't name any of them as specifically 'RP'? Is there a certain server in DCUO where the Roleplayers are common?

LunarSage

A friend called me this morning and told me not to bother with DCUO.  I haven't checked out the videos yet but apparently they're on YouTube and the animations are pretty terrible.

I don't know this for certain but if it's true it would seem the devs need to work on the game some more.

Hemingway

I've been reading good things about DCU. Mainly, it doesn't seem like another WoW clone. I'm going to wait a little longer, but I don't know how long I can wait before I crack and buy it, even though I shouldn't.

Bubbles

as for myself..I played firstly, Mu or TosaMu xD which was awesome, even though years back the graphics weren't that great I loooved my elf girls and the mob killing to get new set and stuff, to get to lvl 400[the max. one] and then have RR to the Chara. :P
later on..I discovered WoW that I didn't liked that much, and..found PWi[ that was great.I played for year that game, like 4 years] on old servers, had a Venomancer on like 55 lvl.I really liked the graphics, the clothing..quests and everything.[especially having the pet and the skills from it], then the made upgrades to the server and added more races..XD Made like 2 more characters to play with..

Did enjoyed my time, indeed..to bad I had to quit it[so per say] cause I had to work, school and such. ^^''
A/AO/O's
No more RP's.I am swamped for now.