Your Mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it...

Started by Chrystal, August 10, 2010, 04:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

*hums* Dun-dun duh-duh, dun-dun duh-duh, dun-dun duh-duh, dun-dun duh-duh....

Yeah, okay, that was supposed to be the Mission: Impossible theme.

I have a taste for a RP with a group of dedicated, hard-nosed secret agents/crooks. Something of a cross between M:I, La Femme Nikita, Oceans Eleven, Hustle, Lara Croft, and James Bond.

The RP is to have a strong sci-fi theme, set in the near future with tech more advanced than we have now. Those familiar with the term "cyberpunk" will know the sort of thing I mean. (NB: Cyberpunk and Steampunk are two different genres).

This is going to take some time to set up, so if you are interested, please reply here, but be prepared to wait at least two to three weeks before we even have a scenario put together, and anything up to two months before we actually start. I'm hoping it wont take that long, but I'm saying, be prepared in case it does.

I would also be interested in knowing whether people would prefer to be good guys, bad guys, or mercenaries for hire by the highest bidder. My initial idea was to do some sort of bank robbery, but I figured that could easily be expanded to some sort of covert special-ops team.

Other thoughts I have so far: Although I would dearly love to actually participate as a player character in this, I may resign myself to simply GMing it. It depends on how many players I get, what plot we come up with, and what kind of game system we decide to use.

There will be opportunity for character inter-action, but the plot will be the most important thing. If you just want sex, please go elsewhere. If you want to contribute to a good sci-fi action story, please post here with any ideas.

This is very much in the vague idea stages. I'm open to suggestions.

(Modified to add): I think a player limit of five to six plus myself would be good. I'm expecting that to drop to three/four by the time we start, but you never know...

This post will self destruct in ten seconds...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Le Immortelle

Count me in! I've been craving something spy-related as of late and adore cyberpunk settings. :)

Idachan

Scotty Rage

I totally have something like this listed as one of my ideas in my request threads.  I'm glad to see someone else has an interest in the same thing!  I'd totally do it!  Can I take point?  ^_^

JerichoMyers

Writersblockade

Sounds interesting. Since it'll take some time to open up proper, I'll have a better idea on if I'm swamped or not. I don't mind being bad guys, or maybe a throwback A-teams scenario where we were framed and are trying to clear our name? *smiles* Either way, we can make it work.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

anna77

I'm very interested  ;D

I've so missed good cyberpunk/spy crossovers and the framed good guys spin sounds like a blast!

mulattaFURY

Oh yes please! I love playing mercenary-type characters and cyberpunk is about my favorite genre. I also don't have a problem with the game being slow to start. I'm not very familiar with using game systems in online RP, but it'd be a good chance to learn. Color me interested, anyway. :)
I like the dynamic of merc gangs-- violence and honor-culture. If you'd like to include that sort of element in your story then I'd definitely be down.

Chrystal

Okay. Thanks for all the interest in this. Seven players is more than enough, but if there's more people interested that's fine. Like I said, I'm expecting to loose a few along the way.

I like the idea of the "A-team" style framed good-guys. A slightly more up-to-date example would be the Jason Bourne trilogy. However, that rather limits the sort of "operation" we can get involved in. It also limits the sort of things we can do to each other, see below... ;)

Idachan, happy to have you on board. *huggles and gropes*

Everyone else, whom I've not met; Hi. Rage, if you want to take the job of point-man, you are going to have to earn it. Not sure how yet... ;)

So you all know, I've run several multi-player RPs in the past, with varying success. I'm planning on this one being the best yet, by starting the planning stages early.

First of all, does anyone have any strong opinions where the threads for this RP should go? Obviously, the level of player interaction is going to depend on this. I'm tempted to just go "Extreme", because then we don't have to worry, but that might put some people off.

Here are my thoughts, tell me what you think?

Light: If we put the RP here, we are limiting the level of sexual contact to vanilla. That means no mistreatment of hostages (be they players or NPCs). However, for the A-team style scenario it would be the obvious choice.

Bondage: Not really an option. You guys want to tie each other up for fun, do it on your own time... *winks*

NC: Human.: This would be my preferred location. It means we can take hostages and do what we like to them as long as it doesn't involve mutilation or bathroom stuff. (That said, I'm kinda kinky about watersports, so...)

Extreme: Human. : Like I already said, this puts no limits on what happens. It's probably the best place for the RP, provided no-one wanting to play is in any way squeamish!

As for system, I have very little experience of anything except "free form". If anyone has any preference, please say so.

Votes, please?

I'd like to open an OOC thread fairly quickly, so we can bash ideas about.

One other point. As I said, I would love to play a leading character in this, but I also intend to GM it. Now, the two are not mutually exclusive, but could result in a conflict of interests. Does anyone have any objections to me both GMing and RPing? If anyone does, blease say why, and I'll consider what you say.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Le Immortelle

I think Extreme would be best, just to be sure and allows as much as freedom as we want. And I have only played in Free form myself and would prefer it. :)

Writersblockade

Freeform is fine, but there's always the question of resolving conflicts. You come up with something to do that, and we're probably gonna be golden. Extreme is also fine by me, but I don't know what kind of player I'd want. He could be more vanilla, but it won't affect anyone else. The A-Team scenario has it's nice points, but could you talk to me a little more about your Bourne approach? Though the movies and books were very different (still loved them both) are you looking to build a group of Treadstone-styled assassins who have turned against the government? That still limits anything "bad" when it comes to taking hostages and doing overall bad deeds. If, on the other hand, we're working the all encompassing "Mercs with attitudes" role where we do whatever it takes to get a job done, including hostage taking, then that could open a few avenues for us. Both with each other and with anyone unfortunate enough to get in our way. We're slightly unhinged people who get off on money and danger!

Could mean the odd grope or two while on assignment, but I'm not complaining!
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Chrystal

I was veering more towards the "mercenaries for hire" idea, rather than the good guys gone bad, originally. Simply because I enjoy being evil...

I'm also wondering, if we get more actual players than we need, whether any extra players would like to play hostages...? This may not be something we need to consider, of course. And if you do like the idea of having some innocent bystanders to abuse, I could allow every player who wants to, to have two characters, one team member and one hostage. The only rule is you don't abuse your own character, because that's sad! Important point though, is that if we do go with the "player hostage" scenario, players with both hostage and team member must be aware that their hostage is expendable!

By the way, if we're bad guys, it does make it easier if someone wants out of the RP after it's started..... *points gun and pulls trigger*. What can I say, I'm a ruthless bitch!

Groping on a job is okay, but please be aware of other players O/Os and sexual preferences! The same applies to hostages. We'll make this all clear once I get the OOC thread set up, and we start designing characters.

Resolving conflicts.... Well, try not to get into any? Alternatively, you could simply PM the GM and say "we have this conflict, please resolve it". I'll flip a coin, roll a dice, cut a pack of cards, open the Bible at random, throw runes, or whatever and tell you the outcome. If your conflict is with me..., well it would probably be best if it wasn't!

Writersblockade

lol You're alright in my book Chrystal! Paraphrased from my man Jane, Let's be bad guys!
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

anna77

I vote for Extreme and freeform, and could dig the Merc's storyline.

And just how "Bad" or "Evil" of bad guys are we thinking here?  :-)     

RedEve

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Chrystal

I think I can try and answer both RedEve and Anna at the same time...

The sort of jobs I envisage us doing would be things like kidnapping an heiress who is very well protected and holding her for ransom, possibly releasing her if the ransom is paid, or possibly not...

Breaking into a high security vault of an industrial corporation stealing their latest invention (and/or the plans to it).

Taking out a team of "do-gooders" that might be making life difficult for a local crime boss, by setting up an ambush for them, and instead of locking them in a shed with plenty of equipment for them to fashion some amazing escape plan from, just put a bullet in each of their heads!

We will be ruthless. Anyone gets in our way doesn't live long. There will be no monologuing to the helpless hero, no dastardly plan to get rid of him that involves some spirit of fair play. Just fucking shoot the bastard!

Anyone not up for that level of violence, please say so now, because right now you have the option not to join! I'm actually pretty certain we need to go into extreme, for the level of violence. .

Please, keep questions coming. I'm going to set up the OOC thread later today

So far, no one has said anything about having GM as a player character. I know it's quite normal for this to be the case, so I'll assume silence is assent. Which means I get to be team leader. Yay!

RedEve

For those of us who choose to play two characters, will we have a say in what happens to the hostage character?

I don't usually join games where one of my characters gets killed.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Chrystal

Well, for starters, that was just an idea. I'm not even sure yet whether we will do the "player hostages" thing, and of course you get a say in what happens to your character, it's your character. I think this is something we can decide on a "mission by mission" basis.

And yes, I'm hoping this will turn into a long-term RP with multiple missions with the same core team. I have no problem with a small "turnover".

NPCs will be dropping like flies, of course. I expect each mission to start with a host of them and finish with very few left. NPCs will be available for anyone to RP, and feel free to create a new one at any time for the purpose of advancing the plot or developing your character.

I would ask that, in the event you wish to interact with a NPC, you ask another player to play him/her. I would also ask that if you see someone has created a NPC to interact with, ask if they would like you to take the NPc on... I've been in a RP before (I wasn't the GM) where I was all but left playing by myself because everyone else had paired up, and only the intervention of the GM taking on a NPC I created saved me from dropping out!

I do NOT want that to happen here, but equally I don't want to end up playing all the NPCs myself.

Okay I've figured out a name. "Iron fist for hire". The OOC thread is up. Please post in that thread if you are still interested, and we can start discussing characters, technology and the mechanics of play.

yuna0417

Writersblockade

*cheers*. You should throw a sheet up, or something. Give Chrystal something to chew over, when you get the chance.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

yuna0417

She's got it, just waiting to here back.  I pm'ed it.

JadeCore

I'd potentially interested but just to clarify, is this more "Mercs have sex with hostages" or "Mercs do stuff"? That is...

...this week on the A-Team, they take Girl B hostage and have an orgy!

or

...this week on the A-Team, they take Girl B hostage in order to retrieve vital information. Along the way, Character X and Girl B have sex cause they have an attraction!

bigwad73

I'm sort of interested, too.  But, I have the same kind of question JadeCore has. 
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Chrystal

Quote from: JadeCore on October 11, 2010, 11:51:22 PM
I'd potentially interested but just to clarify, is this more "Mercs have sex with hostages" or "Mercs do stuff"? That is...

...this week on the A-Team, they take Girl B hostage and have an orgy!

or

...this week on the A-Team, they take Girl B hostage in order to retrieve vital information. Along the way, Character X and Girl B have sex cause they have an attraction!
Quote from: bigwad73 on October 13, 2010, 10:24:52 PM
I'm sort of interested, too.  But, I have the same kind of question JadeCore has. 

My advice to both of you, is, read the OOC thread and [url-https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79824.0]the game thread[/url]. Also, check out the Character thread.

If you still have the same question, PM me. If you have had your questions answered, and still want to join, PM me with a character sheet for approval.

Sunday

Hi! I'm interested in the sound of your RP.
I haven't forum RP's in a while I admit... I haven't played on Elliquiy for a while either... I wanted something not so sexual based, and it sounds like your not going to focus on that.
But I think I've been slacking with my RP's because they've all been instant, so I guess I could do with the practice and would love to come along for the ride. I don't mind playing a hostage or anything. But I will say now I don't play female characters. Mainly because they all tend to be aggressive kick you in the face bitches who will never let a man take her down, or hysterical maidens who must be rescued because she whines too much anyway. that is to say, I can't write women unironically >.>
but I'll happily play a male hostage if that's what you need, or another member of your crew.