Interest Check - Eclipse Phase Naughtiness

Started by AnneReinard, January 11, 2016, 10:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

I think that it probably wouldn't be that hard to come up with stats for a morph from the Morph Recognition Guide if it wasn't on the basic list, myself.  I came up with stats for a Pleasure Pod based on the basic Worker Pod a few posts up, for example, and most other morphs probably wouldn't be that hard to adapt from existing morph specs.

Any morphs in particular that you're looking at for your character?

wander

I haven't looked yet tbh, I just know I'll probably want to have a special snowflake of a Morph...  XD

I'll probably take a look later today and see what takes my fancy. I'll have to consider Refresh cost, as it makes more sense to look more to Ego Stunts, though I'd like something cool to walk around in. :)

ThisOneGal

Is this still open? I've been wanting to join an Eclipse Phase game for ages.

Kunoichi

Quote from: ThisOneGal on January 16, 2016, 01:18:27 AM
Is this still open? I've been wanting to join an Eclipse Phase game for ages.

As far as I know, yes, the game is still open. ^^

Quote from: wander on January 16, 2016, 01:11:28 AM
I haven't looked yet tbh, I just know I'll probably want to have a special snowflake of a Morph...  XD

I'll probably take a look later today and see what takes my fancy. I'll have to consider Refresh cost, as it makes more sense to look more to Ego Stunts, though I'd like something cool to walk around in. :)

From what I'm reading, while Morph Stunts cost Refresh, you can pick up to three free Morph Traits and say that you've had work done on your Morph since you got it without having to pay any extra Refresh.  So, for example, you could easily pick a Splicer or what-have-you and say that you've had Bodysculpting to give yourself an unusual appearance, Enhanced Senses (T-Ray Emitter) and a Ghostrider Module, if you wanted.  You would have to alter your primary and possibly also your secondary Morph aspect(s) a bit to reflect its unusual nature, though.

That said, since you get your Refresh back if you lose access to the stunts it was spent on, spending some of it on Gear and Morph stunts won't really hurt you that badly in-game.  Gear stunts in particular actually have the advantage of being able to be switched out on-the-fly, from what I'm reading.

wander

Ah I didn't know you got the Refresh back if you lose the stunts it's been spent on... Though yeah you can add new Gear stunts by paying Refresh and if at 1 Refresh you can swap to a new Gear stunt by paying a Fate point. You can even hold onto a Gear item and choose when exactly you want to create the Stunt for it, representing having the item on you but you're not using it yet.

I can't see anything about acquiring blueprints and how they're mechanically represented past using Civ Rep or Credit skill to Overcome and that they're supposed to be more expensive than the item stored on it, though the blueprint will be saved for use in your Mesh Inserts.

ThisOneGal

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 16, 2016, 01:32:35 AM
As far as I know, yes, the game is still open. ^^

Awesome. :D

From what I can gather, not a lot of stuff is set in stone, but this is sort of the gist of what I should be working with: We're using the final FATE playtest rules. We're based on Mars. We're not full members of Firewall yet, but may have been contacted by them.

I've been toying with these ideas:

- Member of the Lost
- Async (psi-chi only)
- High WIL, MOX (since high MOX/luck types are a sort of build I don't normally use, and seems like fun)
- All the drug glands (since I never use drugs/potions in RPGs and it seems like fun)
- Using Seekers as my primary weapon skill (since guns coming out means that the plan has failed, and if the plan has failed you may as well have the biggest guns)

However, pretty much none of that translates into the FATE playtest rules. T_T

I'm not ragging on the FATE version; I'm strongly agreed that the default rules are waaay too complex and heavy for play-by-post (although, I lean towards almost pure freeform for forum RPs anyway, so eh).

Most of that stuff can be handled with aspects and stuff though, so I'm not super broken up about it. :P The bigger issue is that I don't really know what the campaign tone/premise is going to be, or what the group roles/dynamics are. (Will I even want a weapon skill or high will? They're good in the standard setting, but may detract from the game if we're going more lighthearted)

So yeah, pretty much all I have set in mind until we have a better idea of the campaign theme/tone and the group dynamics/roles is that I'm looking at a member of the Lost.

So yes. I may be quiet for a bit until more setup stuff is fleshed out, but I'm here and interested.

Also I've re-written this post a few times, so if some part of it looks out of place it's probably because it's 3AM and I didn't notice I left something from an old version in it.

Kunoichi

Well, let's see...  Async sleights work a bit differently under the Fate rules, so you may not want to restrict yourself to just Chi sleights after you've had a chance to look them over.  High WIL would mean having the Willpower skill at a high rating, and high MOX would mean being a high Refresh character, which is certainly doable in these rules.  You're required to spend a minimum of 2 points of Refresh when creating your character, but doing that would still leave you with 4 points leftover.

As for using drugs/potions...  While there aren't rules for a drug gland-style augmentation in the Fate rules, actually using drugs the way you want to use them would be a simple matter of Creating an Advantage via the Medicine skill.  You could even create a stunt that gives you a +2 to said action specifically when making use of drugs and I think it would be pretty fitting. ^^

It's also true that the game doesn't have much in the way of rules for Seeker weapons, but since the basic justification for that was that your character goes all-out when it's time to fight, perhaps a Plasma Rifle would work?  Alternately, I think they've also got rules for grenades...

Edit: Ah, but now that I can look over the rules text again, it looks like there are rules for attacking with explosive weapons that can be used to reflect the use of Seeker weapons pretty easily, and there's also an Underbarrel Seeker Launcher stunt that you could combine with a more normal weapon, if you wanted.

And if you wanted to specifically focus on being an explosives expert, I have to admit that the Liquid Thermite stunt looks like it would lead to some fun descriptions. ;D

Crash

Have we narrowed some of the plot down yet?  Are we starting as Firewall agents?  Are we all living in a poor section of mars?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

ThisOneGal

Here's a rough draft of a character:

Aspects

High Concept  The Lost Were The Future, Once
TroubleYou'd Be Messed Up Too
LoyaltyTBD
OtherTBD

Skills
+4 Will
+3 Deceive, Kinesics, Notice
+2 Cover, Infiltrate, Provoke, Survival
+1 Athletics, Rapport, Investigate, Shoot

Stunts
Ego Psi-Gamma Psychic Stab
Ego Psi-Gamma Sensory Boost
Ego Psi-Gamma Subliminal
Morph Deception
Refresh
Refresh

Futura

AspectsExotic; Liar, Liar
TraitsEssential Biomorph Traits, Mnemonic Augmentation, Stigma (Lost)
StuntsDeception
DurabilityAverage (+1)
Stress Boxes3-Stress
Refresh0
Cred/Civ Rep Cost  Great (+3)

Kunoichi

The Lost Were The Future, Once seems like something that might work better as an 'Other' aspect, or possibly as an alternate Trouble, rather than as your High Concept.  The High Concept is more supposed to be a 'sum up your character in a single phrase' sort of aspect, giving a general suggestion of your character concept and your character's abilities.  The High Concept I'm currently considering for my own character is 'Async AGI Cyber-Criminal', for example.

Also, for your stunts, any stunts beyond your initial 3 free stunts cost Refresh, so if you want to keep the maximum 4 refresh available to you, you'll only have 1 stunt left.

Your skills don't look bad, but it's a little hard to tell what sort of occupation your character might have, from looking through them.  To help with getting a rough estimate for what each of the different ratings mean when dealing with skills, my main understanding of how the skill ratings stack up is that +4 is like having a skill at 80% in the core Eclipse Phase rules, +3 is like 60%, +2 is like 40%, and +1 is like 20%.

And finally, for your two Morph aspects, the first one needs to have the Morph's actual name in it.  It's basically supposed to be a general description of the type and condition of the Morph, and the rules themselves list 'Healthy Flat' and 'Scarred Octomorph' as a couple of examples.

Aside from those minor issues, though, your character looks like they're coming along nicely. ^^

AnneReinard

At this point - I've gotten what I need out of this Interest Check thread! I'll post up a nice big shiny one for the next step.

But for now, closing this down! The input has been super valuable!
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.