Broken City | Interest Check for Cyberpunk Game

Started by Inferior Rabbit, February 14, 2016, 02:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inferior Rabbit

IC
OOC

Howdy folks. The name's Max. I have a story in mind involving heavy influence from the Cyberpunk tabletop games.

I currently have four fairly detailed Google Docs, with in-depth setting information. There isn't much of a system in combat quite yet, but I think it'll be freeform with stats simply there to help gauge the strength and skills of a character.

The basic story I have in mind, is that after the world falls apart due to pollution and overpopulation, humanity is corralled into these sprawling Mega-Cities, with one in each state of the United States. These cities would be protected from the pollution by nanomachines, advanced robot swarms that could clean the air and water for common use. They're the basis of all life, and the only reason humanity is even alive right now. However, sometimes the AI's in these tiny swarms go haywire, and give them sentience. More often than not, these self-aware swarms seek out humans, and take over their nervous system, essentially eating away at the entire body until only it's brain and spinal cord are left.

Theses swarms-turned-parasites are known as Psychos by the public. Due to their growing frequency, a special unit in the police department was formed to combat this threat, known as the Psycho Squad.

Please post any questions here, and I'll answer them in an FAQ post.

Psychos
Setting
Key Terms
History

"A good story cannot be devised; it has to be distilled."
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

wander

Yukina

My interest is definitely high for this one with all that world-building. :)

Esoteric Myobi

Tentatively interested. Will keep my eye on this thread to see if it takes off. ;o

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

TheGlyphstone

I do love me some cyberpunk, and the world-building you've done is intriguing. Especially refreshing to see an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic scenario that involves neither zombies nor nuclear war.

Question regarding the Mega-Cities, how are they kept safe from the pollution and poison of the outside world? Is the entire city contained under some sort of gigantic dome, force field, or similar? Or is it surrounded by an immense cloud of nanobots working overtime to purify all the air/water/etc. that would otherwise enter the city limits?

TheBlackThrone

I like where you're going with this story. Therefore, I express my interest. :-)

I guess in your further projects you'll have a detailed explanation of the Psycho Squad. The types of occupations characters can play within it, such as detective, forensics, information technology expert/hacker, etc.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Twisted iN Tux

I have yet to dabble in something even remotely sci-fi on these boards. So far, from what I've read, this sounds just about ideal for my first experience. Therefore, count me in!

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RecklessRapscallion

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

Twisted iN Tux

8 interest votes. Nice. How big were we looking to go before we take this to the next level? 10? 12?

TheGlyphstone

We're gonna need the OP to come back and see all this interest first.

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 23, 2016, 10:39:58 AM
We're gonna need the OP to come back and see all this interest first.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that we would take any action without the OP. That question was open to all, but actually geared towards said OP. I'll try to be more specific in the future. Anywho. Getting excited here!

TheBlackThrone

*starts preparing the campfire and marshmallows*
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Inferior Rabbit

Wow. Okay.

Will post info on the stas and Psycho Squad tonight
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Inferior Rabbit

Have any questions or things to know before then posted, and I'll see to it as well.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: Inferior Rabbit on February 23, 2016, 12:21:28 PM
Wow. Okay.

Will post info on the stas and Psycho Squad tonight

Awesome! I'm looking forward to more info on The Squad, seeing that that is probably the route I'll go with my PC.

Inferior Rabbit

The Psycho Squad
Stats and Gameplay

Here is some more info for you guys.

This RP is very much freeform. The Stats are simply there to help gauge just how good a character is. Individually though, these stats don't matter, especially against a Psycho. The idea with the psychos is that they're so powerful, it'd be suicide to go against them with anything less than a group of four, let alone one person. The capabilities of these beings are so varied, and dangerous, it's impossible to tell what the next one is going to do. An experienced combat squad of twelve soldiers could barely take down PSYCHO-ALPHA, the most dangerous one they've seen yet, and it cost everyone but one their lives.

Ohio-Sector has had a very turbulent history lately, which makes it a prime target for attack. The Psycho Squad needs to get back on it's feet, if there's any chance of them being able to stem the nanomachine threat.

Clearly people are interested in this story, and it pleases me very much to see that. This has been an idea of mine for ages now, and it's about time I actually went through with it. With that said though, this is my first time ever being a game master, and this project is quite large. If anyone with any experience in modding or formatting on this site would like to help me bring this together, then I'd love for you to message me. Until then, keep an eye on this thread. Ask questions, and I'll answer them, or just feel free to chat.

Within a day or two, there'll be an announcement from the OHS Police Department, putting a call out for applicants to the Psycho Squad.

In the Broken City, you live together, or die alone.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 21, 2016, 02:04:07 AMQuestion regarding the Mega-Cities, how are they kept safe from the pollution and poison of the outside world? Is the entire city contained under some sort of gigantic dome, force field, or similar? Or is it surrounded by an immense cloud of nanobots working overtime to purify all the air/water/etc. that would otherwise enter the city limits?
Nanobots are capable of recycling and filtering materials for human use. It's the reason they're able to actually have an agriculture, despite being within such a dense population.

They form a sort of "atmosphere" around the city, setting the walls as their boundary. In the sense, it is like a dome, but the nano machines are constantly processing the air that enters their environment. They help to mitigate the acid rain, and even plant themselves in soil to supplement any agriculture with raw nutrients. Of course, there are also water filters to help even the workload, and there is always research into more efficient ways of cleaning the air.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Twisted iN Tux

Awesome stuff, Inferior. Very well thought out. I'm assuming the application that's coming in a day or two will serve as a character sheet?

Inferior Rabbit

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 23, 2016, 05:46:03 PM
Awesome stuff, Inferior. Very well thought out. I'm assuming the application that's coming in a day or two will serve as a character sheet?
Yup.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Inferior Rabbit

O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Yukina

I'm sorry to say this just after you put up the ooc, but I feel I'd be an ill fit for this, so I shall be dropping my interest.

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Inferior Rabbit

Updated the main post with the IC thread, in case anyone missed it.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785

Amarlo

Side note. Hello Wander  ::) <3

And are we allowed to talk in the ooc before we've got an application to put in it?

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Inferior Rabbit

Quote from: Amarlo on February 24, 2016, 05:41:58 PM
Side note. Hello Wander  ::) <3

And are we allowed to talk in the ooc before we've got an application to put in it?
Of course! Feel free to talk about whatever.
O/O's
| InferiorRabbit#8785