Non-Adult Deity Group Role Play

Started by Interested, February 04, 2011, 12:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomalak

That's a very modern viewpoint.  How did such a mindset develop in a primitive or medieval setting? 
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

RubySlippers

It will evolve over time right now its more fire good, can make with flint and sticks if you practice then we will work on a spear with a spear thrower device so you get more food. Being a visionary diety she knows its going to take time to get there like a Renaissance Period society to really get going then she can step up her game. But even in the Roman period you had Spartacus rise with a slave uprising.

Primarch

Quote from: Interested on February 13, 2011, 09:37:49 PM
Where should I put this?

Light Human small groups I suppose, perhaps exotic?

Tomalak

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2011, 06:00:08 PM
It will evolve over time right now its more fire good, can make with flint and sticks if you practice then we will work on a spear with a spear thrower device so you get more food. Being a visionary diety she knows its going to take time to get there like a Renaissance Period society to really get going then she can step up her game. But even in the Roman period you had Spartacus rise with a slave uprising.

I was referring to the idea of not throwing away peasants as though their lives don't matter.  The idea of a caste system is intrinsically related to pre-modern eras.  You have a very modern viewpoint, and I'm curious how the deity develops such concepts from scratch - Why does she advocate the concept of leisure and discretion for all?
My apologies for spotty posting habits this week (the first week in march).  I have been ill, so they may continue.  I'm taking care of myself, so I hope it will pass soon.

Primarch

Quote from: Tomalak on February 14, 2011, 06:16:25 PM
I was referring to the idea of not throwing away peasants as though their lives don't matter.  The idea of a caste system is intrinsically related to pre-modern eras.  You have a very modern viewpoint, and I'm curious how the deity develops such concepts from scratch - Why does she advocate the concept of leisure and discretion for all?

Because she's a deity, her mind is infinitely complex compared to ours, and she has a "divine plan," which by its very nature should take thousands of years to run its course, if not the entire length of her worshipers existence.

Tomalak

Quote from: Primarch on February 14, 2011, 06:19:46 PM
Because she's a deity, her mind is infinitely complex compared to ours, and she has a "divine plan," which by its very nature should take thousands of years to run its course, if not the entire length of her worshipers existence.

That sounds like a traditional Monothiestic outlook.  Pantheist deities tend to be less long-view, or at least less egalitarian.

At this point, I'd like to state that I'm putting so much interest into this character, because she seems out-of-place to me in this situation.  That may just be my perspective however.  I'd like to get an understanding of this character before I decide whether or not to play, if that's cool with Ruby.

Primarch

Quote from: Tomalak on February 14, 2011, 06:42:54 PM
That sounds like a traditional Monothiestic outlook.  Pantheist deities tend to be less long-view, or at least less egalitarian.

At this point, I'd like to state that I'm putting so much interest into this character, because she seems out-of-place to me in this situation.  That may just be my perspective however.  I'd like to get an understanding of this character before I decide whether or not to play, if that's cool with Ruby.

One of the joys of roleplay, we don't need to stick to such defined characteristics of the supernatural. Get to indulge our imaginations. 

RubySlippers

The Hebrew God was actually rather egalitarian. Every 7th Jubilee they had to redistribute all the wealth of all the twelve tribes for example evenly between all persons and this was an OLD diety concept and one note proverbs included ones to state the poor should be treated fairly. Ever read the Torah texts on laws and the proverbs its in fact pretty radical for a primitive people.

Why should mortals be treated as inferior just because as a deity there is more power to her its our duty to use that in the game to make mortals better and do good to those under our charge. The water goddess should teach men and women to fish better and give them clean water to drink not have storms smiting them. To do so makes you look like a monster that clearly is unworthy of the power you have not she would say that to the deity. Just her point of view. So mortal leaders should use their positions to do right by those that support them and treat them fairly for the greater good. If that is a neanderthal chief or future president of a mighty nation the rules are the same to her as things progress.

And didn't say don't risk common soldiers just don't toss them into the fray with insufficient training and inferior equipment especially if they didn't volunteer. Say instead of padded armor and a spear a good suit of leather armor, good shield and decent group combat trained backed up by other superior units intelligently giving the commoers a fair shake. The war god should support this its wasteful to toss untrained men and women with crap for equipment into the fray and should dishonor the warriors fighting them if they are far better prepared.

Tomalak

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2011, 07:09:34 PMWhy should mortals be treated as inferior just because as a deity there is more power to her its our duty to use that in the game to make mortals better and do good to those under our charge. The water goddess should teach men and women to fish better and give them clean water to drink not have storms smiting them. To do so makes you look like a monster that clearly is unworthy of the power you have not she would say that to the deity. Just her point of view. So mortal leaders should use their positions to do right by those that support them and treat them fairly for the greater good. If that is a neanderthal chief or future president of a mighty nation the rules are the same to her as things progress.

And here we come to the crux of my problem.  I wish everyone in this game well, and hope you have fun with it.  I am not, going to be joining you, unfortunately.  Perhaps next time?

RubySlippers

I played fantasy games alot, and Forgotten Realms in particular, many dieties there are nice. Lathander is alot like my character in fact as are other dieties. This is not a real world mythos game if you want Greek dieities I'd play one as a Greek diety but if we are making up our own and its not adult in nature why can't I take a diety that is nice to mortals?

I thought she would be nicer opposition than the goddess of dark evil bad things that controls hell or something, one that is good to mortals in a way that might tick of other deities when she meddles to help them. At least the commoners and those yearning for freedom in various forms. With an end goal she wants and even she is not sure how to get there yet. As a player I have ideas as a deity she is going to have to keep things simpler for now.