News:

Main Menu

Nightwish!!!

Started by Lord Drake, April 26, 2010, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Drake

Since it seems that there are many (me included) fans of the group, here is a topic to chat a bit and exchange opinions. I will start putting a couple guidelines in it:

1) Be careful not to start a flamewar about new vocalist / old vocalist... the rules of civility permain here.
2) I would like to have some insight about what could have been best songs/performances

I will not say much more... except that one of my fav songs is "Ever Dream".

;D

Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

KikuLei

My favorite songs were, The Siren and Passion and the Opera. :)

punkjello

Woo! Nightwish. <3

My favorite song is Beauty of the Beast. So beautiful and epic. :D

Ever Dream does have to get high up there for my favorite song, though.

Majere Dreavan

I was always a big fan of Higher than Hope, But Over the hills and Far away was oh so epic too

Lilias

Ah, one of those bands who can repeatedly make albums without a single duff track. My music library wouldn't be complete without Century Child, Once, and Dark Passion Play.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Zoophilian

I know this Nightwish >> Saw a most epic AMV based on Macross (Old school mecha anime) Was most excellent ^.^

Sabby

Elven Path, The Poet and the Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful, Dark Chest of Wonders, Nightguest, Ever Dream... all so epic. Though Bye Bye Beautiful was a bit different for them... kind of poppy.

Silk

Moondance (instrumentals), Dark chest of wonders, and Nemo are my personal favorites

Vekseid

Geeklet

I tend to enjoy Anette's stuff more than Tarja (I'm in the minority, I know), so the only CD of theirs I've actually bought was Dark Passion Play. Personally, I'm in love with The Islander. Marco needs to do more vocal work on upcoming albums, IMO.

Samael

On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Myrleena

My personal favorite is 'The Poet and the Pendulum', though I have purchased every CD that I have been able to find.  Not a good selection in my area...

Shadowsteel

I like them. Not my favorite ban, but great none the less. I always like wishmaster. I think I would actually be the minority here, I dont care about the vocalist, just  that I like the music
Sworn to the Oath of Drake

Shadowsteel's theory on the transitive property of handcuffs - through association, especially by physical contact such as hug-piles - legitimate reason is given if you have reasonable reason to apply handcuffs to one particpant, you have reason (excuse) to apply handcuffs to all of them.

OOC's Beware! Because really, when is it not
an acceptable time for handcuffs?

Amber

Oooh!

An ex showed me I Wish I Had An Angel, and I was like "This is total and utter crap."

And about an hour later I was like "...where's that song again." And I started listening to it, and then I listened to their other stuff, and I was like "You know whaaaat... this is actually good O__O"

I think my favorite two songs have to be Over the Hills and Far Away and... I forget what it's called >_> It's the one without any lyrics and it sounds somewhat Celtic? I ALWAYS forget the name XD

I actually like both singers. The songs were written for their voices so it's like two completely different styles, not even just singers.

My third favorite song I think is Sahara - I absolutely looooove it. Actually, maybe it's my favorite...

Lilias

Quote from: Amber Riddler on May 14, 2010, 02:43:32 AM
It's the one without any lyrics and it sounds somewhat Celtic? I ALWAYS forget the name XD

That could be 'Moondance' or 'Last of the Wilds'. Both are in that style, although I prefer 'Moondance'. More stomping around ;)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Amber

Last of the Wilds! Yes!

I haven't listened to them in so long so I forget all the names. I'm the person who replays the same song over and over and over and over until my eats pop off and I overplayed them >_>

I've never heard Moondance though D: *skitters off to see*

Lilias

Nightwish - Moondance

And here's a version of 'Last of the Wilds' with (Finnish) words:

Nightwish feat. Jonsu - Erämaan Viimeinen
~Wendell Berry

Amber

Oooooh O_O Moondance is really nice. I kinda don't like how it gets soft in the middle, though. I like my music to be really exciting all the way through.

And I like the version better without lyrics >.< The lyrics in this one are covering up the parts with the violin, which is my *favorite* part.

Lilias

'Moondance', since I first heard it, has struck me as a perfect bit of music for a couples figureskating competition. It has the fast-slow-fast tempo that is required, plus it is exactly the right duration! :D
~Wendell Berry

Sabby

I listened to 7 Days to the Wolves before I fell asleep and it turned into a dream... a really good one. A mentalist child raised by wolves, and then using them as an army to cut off and terrorize the secluded town that murdered her mother, and inflicted a great tragedy on them each day for 7 days, and on the seventh, would swoop in and devour every one of them.

Had a happy ending though :) Sort of... a girl who was born after the murder barred her path, and they had a mental battle! She spared all of them, but banished them. The town was now the wolves home, and the girl stayed behind to bear a child for the mentalist wolf girl.

Shores

Yes! They are awesome!

Over the Hills, Ever Dream, Nemo, Sleeping Sun!

Rhedyn

The Islander is definitely one of my favourites... I get goosebumps every time I listen to that song!

KikuLei

...Is Nightwish really anything without Tarja? I personally don't think so...the new vocalist sounds alot like a butch Miley Cyrus to me, but that is an opinion.

GothicFires

Nightwish as always been more than Tarja. The woman can sing... but she's an opera singer. Her voice has no inflection or emotion. I have never listened to nightwish for her voice even when she was in the band. I never understood those who raved about her. Anne Lennox she's not (my opinion of the best female rock singer ever). Marco is one of the best male singers. He teamed up with 3 other power vocalist for a project Northern Kings (I think) which covered songs from the 80s. Tarot kicks butt too.

so limit your choices if you wish. But Nightwish continues to put out great music. I like them even better now that Tarja is gone.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Host of Seraphim

First song I ever heard by them, and still one of my favorites. (Don't know why the vid shows the album art for Dark Passion Play when the song's off Wishmaster...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82paQbF0Yo#

I prefer Tarja to Annete, but whatev, it's all good.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::