Interest check: Firefly (TV-series) based roleplay(sci-fi, western, slaves)

Started by SatanKlaus, November 12, 2012, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayovagn

I can play a passenger who has some piloting experience. Are you saying that you are lacking a pilot? Cos I can do that too...

How about a former Alliance freighter/supply pilot who was invalided out of the service due to PST before the end of the war after seeing too much and now isn't at all fond of her former masters?

I have no issues writing guys or gals or sentient penguins...

M.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

kckolbe

We have one pilot, but it would be foolish not to have someone for taking care of shuttle flights, or taking the helm while she was asleep, injured, etc.  Not something you need to base your concept around, just a side duty.

I'm also glad to see your interest in playing the crew penguin, as that position remains empty.  Thus far, we've had a lot of interest from other applicants in such a position, but we didn't feel any of them would be able to do the role justice, and thus far all have had to settle for backup roles, so I'm also glad to see you have those ready.  I also want to stress that though we don't have a crew penguin, Satan_Klaus (our GM) has already stated that he will take care of any issues stemming from lack of penguin support though NPCs, so don't feel pressured into playing the penguin if you aren't completely comfortable.  Hope that helps.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

mayovagn

Oh, see, now I want to play the penguin...

Let me read back through and find the system and bio form details and I will submit something as soon as I can.

*Dances about to Jean Michel Jarre*

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

SatanKlaus

Like kckolbe said, there is still room.

Keri and Lance can fly the ship, as well as the captain and Serenity can fly her own shuttle so being a pilot is fully optional.

Basically, all essential positions (except for penguins) are filled so you have free choice of character.

The most important thing you need to bring is a good reason why your character is on the ship, why she stays on the ship and why the crew lets her stay on the ship. Everything else is optional.

Also, note that the play takes place 20 years before the events detailed in Firefly, so this is before the civil war and before the reavers. Slavery is still perfectly legal on many planets on the fringe and being in favor or against slavery seems to be the main dividing line among the crew. 

Look at the OOC thread for further guidelines and rules.

Satan_Klaus

mayovagn

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 16, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Like kckolbe said, there is still room.

Keri and Lance can fly the ship, as well as the captain and Serenity can fly her own shuttle so being a pilot is fully optional.

Basically, all essential positions (except for penguins) are filled so you have free choice of character.

The most important thing you need to bring is a good reason why your character is on the ship, why she stays on the ship and why the crew lets her stay on the ship. Everything else is optional.

Also, note that the play takes place 20 years before the events detailed in Firefly, so this is before the civil war and before the reavers. Slavery is still perfectly legal on many planets on the fringe and being in favor or against slavery seems to be the main dividing line among the crew. 

Look at the OOC thread for further guidelines and rules.

Satan_Klaus

Right, that will teach me to not skim. Well, no, no it won't, but I am going to go back and read through things. *Smiles*

Caela

Sleep? Who says Keri sleeps? Or that she doesn't just sleep on the bridge? Hehehehe, or that she isn't annoying enough to have reset the controls so no one else is going to be able to use them? Pilots are finicky creatures, leave her controls alone! :P

kckolbe

I'm kinda liking the possessiveness, Caela.  I can see Keri's attitude spilling over, just as I am channeling Lance's caution of ensuring the ship has plenty of redundancies.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 16, 2012, 01:32:22 PM
I'm kinda liking the possessiveness, Caela.  I can see Keri's attitude spilling over, just as I am channeling Lance's caution of ensuring the ship has plenty of redundancies.

It would have more redundancies if you finally got your lazy ass up and fixed the primaries!

Captain Braxton Early

Branwen

Quote from: kckolbe on November 16, 2012, 01:21:20 PM
We have one pilot, but it would be foolish not to have someone for taking care of shuttle flights, or taking the helm while she was asleep, injured, etc.  Not something you need to base your concept around, just a side duty.

I'm also glad to see your interest in playing the crew penguin, as that position remains empty.  Thus far, we've had a lot of interest from other applicants in such a position, but we didn't feel any of them would be able to do the role justice, and thus far all have had to settle for backup roles, so I'm also glad to see you have those ready.  I also want to stress that though we don't have a crew penguin, Satan_Klaus (our GM) has already stated that he will take care of any issues stemming from lack of penguin support though NPCs, so don't feel pressured into playing the penguin if you aren't completely comfortable.  Hope that helps.
I want to have your babies. This is hilarious.

kckolbe

Glad you like it, and it sounds like Lance will have some awkward scenes before long.

Intro Thread

Innocence

Wow how long have I been away for?

kckolbe - Thanks for summing up all the characters so far =D
If it helps, I can make my character have some sort of piloting experience.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Blake L. Thernwood

Position: Ex-Mercenary on the run

Background: Blake grew up on Lilac with her two older brothers, they were raised by their single-parent mother.  Growing up on the outskirts, surrounded by outlaws, Blake was taught to fend for herself at a very early age.  Her mother taught her how to mix potions, and her brothers taught her how to fire a gun.  Her nickname while growing up was 'Little BLT'.

At the age of 12, the quaint little ranch that Blake lived on was pillaged by bandits, which ultimately took the lives of both her brothers. 

Blake and her mother fled to Beaumonde.  Her mother now works in one of the many factories on the planet where Blake decided to take to a life of crime.  She worked as a mercenary for a couple of years, doing the odd job like petty theft or planting incriminating evidence.  It wasn't until she was 20 that things took a turn for the worse.  One of her anonymous patrons hired her to 'dispose of incriminating evidence'.  What she wasn't aware of was that the job required her to 'get rid of' the son of a wealthy aristocrat that had witnessed a previous crime. 

Since then she has become accustomed to killing people. 

She is currently on the run from the feds and has joined the crew to have a means of getting around. 

Personality: Blake has that innocent appearance that masks her true brutal malevolent self.  She gets angry easily, but instead of lashing out she'll just smile at you and wait until you're vulnerable to strike.  The only time she'll ever yell at someone is if they call her 'Little BLT', as it reminds her of her deceased brothers.  Blake isn't afraid to talk to strangers, but she hates being talked down to.  Sometimes she has trouble articulating sentences. 

Yes I used Felicia Day as my character's image, because I am madly in love with her.

kckolbe

Well who isn't?  We have already begun, but I suppose it is possible to pick more people up.  Also, the piloting is not a required ability, but an ability to pilot or repair would make you seem a lot more valuable to Lance.

Intro Thread

Caela

Quote from: kckolbe on November 18, 2012, 08:46:07 PM
Well who isn't?  We have already begun, but I suppose it is possible to pick more people up.  Also, the piloting is not a required ability, but an ability to pilot or repair would make you seem a lot more valuable to Lance.

And why are we worrying about Lance? ~smirks~ Another pilot would only muck up the works in Keri's mind...heck it's bad enough that the Captain thinks he should get a turn anywhere near her consoles!

Innocence

Quote from: Caela on November 18, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
And why are we worrying about Lance? ~smirks~ Another pilot would only muck up the works in Keri's mind...heck it's bad enough that the Captain thinks he should get a turn anywhere near her consoles!

I figure pilots are like any person who has just bought a brand new car, if someone goes near their baby *WhaPow!!* right in the kisser.

I guess Blake can have some experience with piloting, but not as good as Keri [obviously]
Since the roleplay has already started can we have Blake be a stowaway at first who has to prove her worth to the crew?
It might make things more fun =]

vin26m

Quote from: Innocence on November 18, 2012, 07:25:42 PM
Wow how long have I been away for?

kckolbe - Thanks for summing up all the characters so far =D
If it helps, I can make my character have some sort of piloting experience.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Blake L. Thernwood

Position: Ex-Mercenary on the run

Background: Blake grew up on Lilac with her two older brothers, they were raised by their single-parent mother.  Growing up close to Reaver territory, Blake was taught to fend for herself at a very early age.  Her mother taught her how to mix potions, and her brothers taught her how to fire a gun.  Her nickname while growing up was 'Little BLT'.

At the age of 12 she experienced her first Reaver attack, which ultimately took the lives of both her brothers. 

Blake and her mother fled to Beaumonde.  Her mother works in one of the many factories on the planet where Blake decided to take to a life of crime.  She worked as a mercenary for a couple of years, doing the odd job like petty theft or planting incriminating evidence.  It wasn't until she was 20 that things took a turn for the worse.  One of her anonymous patrons hired her to 'dispose of incriminating evidence'.  What she wasn't aware of was that the job required her to 'get rid of' the son of a wealthy aristocrat that had witnessed a previous crime. 

Since then she has become accustomed to killing people. 

She is currently on the run from the feds and has joined the crew to have a means of getting around. 

Personality: Blake has that innocent appearance that masks her true brutal malevolent self.  She gets angry easily, but instead of lashing out she'll just smile at you and wait until you're vulnerable to strike.  The only time she'll ever yell at someone is if they call her 'Little BLT', as it reminds her of her deceased brothers.  Blake isn't afraid to talk to strangers, but she hates being talked down to.  Sometimes she has trouble articulating sentences. 

Yes I used Felicia Day as my character's image, because I am madly in love with her.

The game takes place before the Alliance War, so there probably aren't any Reavers yet.

If you're looking to fill holes, we have some:

We have a few pilots.  Keri is the main one.  Lance, Braxton, Serenity and Sue can also pilot.

No one has archery or explosives.

The one character with heavy weapons hasn't posted IC yet (and he's posted elsewhere on E).

Sue is the only driver (land vehicles) so far.

None of the front-line crew members have medic, mechanic or hacking.

Innocence

Quote from: vin26m on November 18, 2012, 10:14:53 PM
The game takes place before the Alliance War, so there probably aren't any Reavers yet.

If you're looking to fill holes, we have some:

We have a few pilots.  Keri is the main one.  Lance, Braxton, Serenity and Sue can also pilot.

No one has archery or explosives.

The one character with heavy weapons hasn't posted IC yet (and he's posted elsewhere on E).

Sue is the only driver (land vehicles) so far.

None of the front-line crew members have medic, mechanic or hacking.

Ok thanks for that Vin, I've changed Blake's Bio to remove the reavers =]

In terms of weapons, I was going to make her proficient in revolvers like the LeMat [Jayne's gun] and the Colt Python [Wash's gun]
I'll also give her a Winchester 1892 since it's a smaller rifle.

mayovagn

Isi can hack, not bad at it.

Course, she isn't an official member of the crew...

SatanKlaus

I thought you originally wanted to make a headhunter or was that someone else? Doesn't really matter anyhow. Your character looks acceptable.

The ship will land on Shadow in a day, in a factory town called Mowa. I recommend you use the day to finalize your character with skills/attributes and get it approved. Then, you can either hire on regularly or stowaway if you like. There are a lot of factory workers in Mowa and also a company of a large private security firm called Levet (their agents are called Levetts). These are similar to the Pinkertons, the 'Blackwater' of the 19th century. On the whole, they are a not-so-lovable bunch and you might fit right in. Either way, you should have an idea prepared as to why you will hire/stow away on The Line. (one might simply be that there aren't many other ships coming and going to Mowa at the moment).

Quote from: Innocence on November 18, 2012, 10:30:28 PM
In terms of weapons, I was going to make her proficient in revolvers like the LeMat [Jayne's gun] and the Colt Python [Wash's gun]
I'll also give her a Winchester 1892 since it's a smaller rifle.

Skills are a bit more general than individual models if you learn 'gunslinger', for example, you will be familiar with most handguns.

Satan_Klaus

Innocence

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 19, 2012, 06:11:10 AM
The ship will land on Shadow in a day, in a factory town called Mowa. I recommend you use the day to finalize your character with skills/attributes and get it approved. Then, you can either hire on regularly or stowaway if you like. There are a lot of factory workers in Mowa and also a company of a large private security firm called Levet (their agents are called Levetts). These are similar to the Pinkertons, the 'Blackwater' of the 19th century. On the whole, they are a not-so-lovable bunch and you might fit right in. Either way, you should have an idea prepared as to why you will hire/stow away on The Line. (one might simply be that there aren't many other ships coming and going to Mowa at the moment).

Skills are a bit more general than individual models if you learn 'gunslinger', for example, you will be familiar with most handguns.

Satan_Klaus

Ok I've posted the updated Character sheet on the 6th page of the OOC thread, it's got the skills and attributes and equipment and such.  But not the relationship section yet. I'm worried about writing up how my character interacts with the rest of the crew before I actually start roleplaying, as things might turn out completely different to how I imagined.  So is it cool if I fill that section in as I go?

In relation to my reasoning for being on The Line, how about a job went wrong with the Levet and I high tailed on the first ship I saw? My character would be running from the Levetts and her previous boss who she failed to complete her mission for. 

SatanKlaus

Quote from: CurvyKitten on November 20, 2012, 03:30:01 AM
Is there still place for one more in this game? I have an idea already brewing in my mind. But I don't want to put all sorts of effort into it if I'd not be allowed to play.

The deadline for the current 'mission' is the 20th, which is today. If you are very fast and I am immediately satisfied with your character concept then I will find a way to get you into the story. If not, then you will have to wait until the mission is finished or the story gives us a good opening to introduce your character. Obviously, for the latter to work you must have a character ready and prepared.

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

Huh, that's weird. CurvyKitten's original post (the one I quoted from) seems to have dissappeared. Can you guys see it?

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

I don't see it now, but I had seen it.  Maybe she changed her mind and deleted it after you quoted it?

Intro Thread

CurvyKitten

I removed it once I realized I was probably to late. I didn't want to bother anyone with a request when there wasn't time to get a sheet up. I'm sorry.

CurvyKitten

I'm still interested though as much work I put into my sheets I'm not sure what I could come up with quickly.(half tempted to try, I have four hours to kill before a doctors appointment this morning.) I didn't realize anyone else would be up at the early morning hours like I was. :P

Innocence

It is already night time where I live Kitten.
Anyway I suggest you still apply =] It would be fun since I might be the only person joining the crew today.