Interest check: Firefly (TV-series) based roleplay(sci-fi, western, slaves)

Started by SatanKlaus, November 12, 2012, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatanKlaus

I'm thinking about running a role play set in the 'verse of Joss Whedon's Firefly.

The characters would be free traders/operatives on a ship on the fringe of the system, servicing the border planets and avoiding trouble with the feds. The setting gives us a nice background alternating between planet-side action and travel time on the ship were characters might 'get to know' each other better.

I would prefer original characters, so we are not constrained to the cast of the series, but I figure the general tone and attitude would be similar to the series.

Firefly has indentured servitude (which everyone seems to accept) and slavery (which is illegal but common), so I'd like to work these into a BDSMy context. Not to mention that the 'Independence' is basically the Confederate States during the American civil war. And we all know what they were fighting for. So in my interpretation of the 'verse, an honorable gent who fought for the independence during the war might always keep his word, be polite to the ladies, never back down from a fight....aaand cling to his pre-war interpretation of 'personal property'.

If you are interested in playing, please speak up. Maybe even with a short description of the character you want to play or what kind of action you want to see in the roleplay. Also, I'm not sure if we want to have this as freeform roleplaying (just writing) or as a system game (with rules that define wether your character can accomplish a given task or not). So please also state your preference for one or the other.

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

I am definitely interested and would prefer a system, as what made Firefly missions interesting was that things always went wrong and became challenging in different ways, requiring some skill/luck to get through.  I would prefer to play an ex-Alliance pilot/mechanic, pretty lazy type who got out and got a job doin what he knew.  I'd be willing to play him as the owner of the ship, but not as the captain, so there could be an interesting dynamic there.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Koekje

I'd love to participate in this, preferably as a gung-ho mercenary to deal with the problems the crew would face on a regular basis. Ofcourse this would make me the slightly more aggresive person, as to preferring solving problems with fisticuffs and bullets than with words.
He who acts honestly, hardly ever meets with trouble,
he who speaks honestly, hardly ever escapes trouble.
O'O's

TheRaven

You had me at Firefly. I'm interested.

I have no preference either way for freeform or system, or for roles. Wherever there's space.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Caela

I'd love to do a Firefly roleplay. Thinking of a pilot who likes the freedom and adventure of life out on the rim.

As for type, I'd actually vote for a bit of a combination of freeform and system. Rules and challenges set forth on their "jobs" but freeform and more sandboxy while they are ship bound.

desert ashes

I would love to participate in this!  Be interested in playing a companion or a mercenary for hire character, and am open to system or free form. 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

SatanKlaus

Nice to see such lively interest in my proposal. We have pilot, mechanic and 'public relations' covered it seems. There is still more room but I think the minimum crew is there. No one so far has taken up the captain and I was thinking that maybe I should play him as an NPC so I can give a bit of direction to the roleplay.

I have heard two voices in favor of system play and I think we are going to do it. It will be something very bare-bone, though. We can't really have full pen-and-paper combat in a forum play. That would take too much time. Personally, I'm partial to story-teller-system as it is somewhat realistic without being complex. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Story-wise, what are we looking at? What are your allegiances? We have an ex-alliance guy but that could mean anything depending on how he parted ways with his employer. What about the rest of you? Anyone fought for the independence?

Also, you will likely be criminals. At the very least, your business will be in the 'grey' zone. But how 'hard' are you? Do you stop to help the lost settlers? Are random dead bodies acceptable on the job? What about slavery?
Not everyone has to be on the same page here (its a great source of conflict between characters, after all) but I would like to get the feel for the attitude on the ships.

Last but not least, there is sex. Of course not every roleplay has to be about it, but this is an adult forum so... How much sex do you guys want to have in this? And what kind? Personally, (and I put this into the description) I'm partial to a little bit of slavery and BDSM. So sex-wise this would probably go into the 'NC' section of the forum but you are certainly not limited to nonconsent. Just saying that it probably will make an appearance in some form and that you should be okay with it.
By the way: if anyone wants his or her character to be an indentured servant or a slave, now is the time to speak up. This won't necessarily prevent you from doing an important and meaningful job on board the ship. Even medics and mechanics can fall on hard times, after all. 

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

I am pretty open on system.  They all have their flaws after all.  I just want a system that will cover combat, repairs, piloting, and social mechanics against NPCs (the last part only if our companion wants it). 

Well, I am a little flexible on my character's feelings on the alliance, but he he won't be outright antagonistic.  After all, the Alliance did give him a solid education, good training, a nice job and left him with some money, so he can't get too up in arms against them.  I plan on his separation having been uneventful.

My character will not be against slavery (may be enticed to enjoy a slave, though not too roughly), but he is not extremely fond of risk.  He is, however, uninterested in the decision making.  This is why I like the angle of him being the owner but having hired a captain to run things and make the decisions. 

As for sex, I enjoy sexual stimulation in my RP, but don't need a lot.  I'm not a fan of non-con, and will likely play him the same way, but if the victim is an owned slave, then he might be able to just be uncomfortable with it.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Koekje

I'm a fan of a heavier style for out of ship and a lighter style inside of it, in spaaaaaace.

For my sake, my character basically follows the money. He goes with the crew mostly because of the possibility of some hard cash. My past has been a simple one. Grew up on a small, rural planet and left on the first ticket out of there for the action and the money. Most of the adult life has been going from one job to the other, sparring with the law and having spent over 7 months in correctional facilities as punishment for past "jobs".

As a mercenary I do everything for the money yet I have a strong sense of loyalty towards the boss. I'll do everything but betray the person who signs my checks. This implies that I have no problem with beating up, stabbing, shooting, etc people. Picking up, transporting and selling slaves is just another way to make the bucks.
O'O's

Marie Reynolds

I would be interested just wondering if will be using the serenity system and hmm  I cant decide between a former brown coat sabtoage  artist or a disallusuoned intelligence officer of the alliance that has run to the fringe to live

Caela

O.k., some of the character questions are getting into a bit of background and personality so I'm going to make a rough CS because it helps me organize my thoughts better. lol

Caela

Name: Keridwyn "Keri"  Jones

Orientation: Straight

Personality: Keri is a very laid back sort of girl. In general, she doesn't bother herself with matters of morality too much though she is the sort that is naturally kind and, if able, willing to help those in need. Her loyalty lies with the crew of her ship, who are a sort of replacement family for her and helping a stranger will never come before keeping her crew safe. She intelligent and learns new skills quickly but, having grown up on an outer planet, not as educated as she could have been had she grown up in the Core. She has a thirst for adventure and freedom that keeps her flying fast and, sometimes, laughing when a job turns dangerous and pushes her skills to their limits.

Background: Growing up on the outer planets she didn't have the access to education and technology that those in the inner core did but that didn't stop her from learning everything she could. Especially when it came to flying and navigation. Having a head for science and numbers she learned all that she could about the theory behind different ships, how they worked, how/why they flew, what common problems with them were, and how to push them to their limits.

She fought for the Independants in the War but more to fulfill her need for adventure and to get the chance to fly ships she never thought she'd get the chance to even board otherwise, than from any real sense of commitment to the cause. granted, she found the Alliance government, in general, to be a bunch of pompous old windbag with only their own self interests at heart, but nothing of the histories she'd made her think that any other government would actually be better either.

By the end of the war, her parents (and only family) were dead and she had a reputation as a superb pilot by those who would know. With no family to return to, she used her reputation to garner jobs until she found a ship, and crew, she actually wanted to stay with for more than just a simple job and payoff.

Branwen

I am very interested and will sacrifice a chicken, well a nugget anyway, to play.  I would like to play a gambler, a confidence artist, a gentile plunderer of baubles left untended.  A scoundrel in the most genteel sense. 

kckolbe

Looks good, Caela. 

Branwen, would your char have a role on the ship or be a passenger?

Intro Thread

Branwen

That's a good question.  It will depend, I suppose, on whether or not we start out with the ship in port, looking for cargo and passengers, or if we're already in space.  Honestly, I am not sure the character would be very good as a crewmember. 

TheRaven

So, here's the concept I have so far. Let me know if there's anything I need to fix.

He's a med school dropout, who left the Core during the war to come out and fight (and heal) for Independence, on the grounds of... well, he wants everyone to be independent. In the aftermath, he joined on with a decent enough mercenary company, but later dropped out to join up with a smuggling ship. He doesn't see eye-to-eye with everyone onboard on the subject of slavery, especially considering that his "everyone deserves independence" mantra applies to slaves as well.
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.

Branwen

I like how Keri is jaded on both sides of potential government.  That's great.

Raven, even a med school dropout is going to have skills in high demand.  And there's nothing to say he's not just a naturally skilled doctor, an autodidact of sorts. 

kckolbe

Medical knowledge is going to be useful anywhere, even if it isn't formal.  Hell, I once played a veterinarian character as the ship's doctor, and it was a hoot.

And yeah, Keri is great.  Julia works well as an avi for jaded chars. 

Intro Thread

Branwen

You know what?  I'll also throw this out there.  If someone wants an indentured servant, or a slave masquerading as one, let me know and we'll talk.  That's a great twist to the game.

vin26m

I'm interested.

And I like the idea of playing the captain.

The captain could own a slave that the captain uses as a reward to the crew.  Maybe the captain accidentally did something noble and saved the slave's life, and in her culture if someone saves your life you owe your life to them (like Chewbacca to Han Solo). 

Except the captain really takes advantage of it.   

And the slave likes it.

There could also be a pimp aspect to it, taking the slave from place to place to have her provide services to clientele.

I would also consider playing the captain as a bisexual female.

Also, it would be fun to have some sexual/romantic tension with crew members.

One job could involve smuggling sex slaves.

kckolbe

Name: Lance Daniels

Personality: Very bright and very lazy.  He dislikes being alone, and generally is willing to go a bit out of his way for sake of company.  While not wealthy or particularly well-bred, he doesn't fit in too well with fringer types, as he clearly enjoys creature comforts.  He refers to himself as an engineer rather than mechanic, something that he knows earns a chuckle from the lower class types, but it doesn't bother him.  He does not like making difficult decisions or managing things, so he wanted someone on the crew to take the mantle of captain, offering a little extra share of the profits for the burden.

Background: Lance had a fairly straightforward, middle-class upbringing well inside the Core Worlds.  After part of a proper education ended by lack of study habits, Lance decided to join the Alliance, and found he enjoyed it well enough, volunteering for the longer hauls on cargo birds when he could.  He lucked out on a couple and found a pilot that enjoyed company as much as he did, and he learned a bit about piloting as well.  He saved up quite a bit of money and once he got out managed a small business working on his own, running a small freighter by himself.  He was making a small profit, but wasn't happy with the workload or the lack of companionship, so when he had the chance to buy a larger ship, he jumped at the chance and went to hiring.

Intro Thread

Branwen

Quote from: vin26m on November 12, 2012, 08:58:23 PM
(like Chewbacca to Han Solo). 

Wait, so there's no laser treatments or waxing in Firefly?  Or I just have to make that Wookie noise?  :p

Kckolbe, I love the 'engineer, not a mechanic' detail.  It's things like that which really set characters apart.  Nice one!

kckolbe

Thanks Branwen. 

Vin, I am worried that your focus is for a game that kinda centers around BDSM, which I admit bothers me a bit.  I think sexual elements of any kind shouldn't overshadow the story, especially a single element. 

Intro Thread

Kdyami

If there's room for one more I'd like to throw my two cents in.

If its available I'd like to play "the muscle"; an ex alliance military turned outlaw, working any jobs that are opposed to the alliance. 
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

Caela

Glad to see that folks like Keri. I'll flesh her out a bit more when I see what direction we seem to be headed in.

Probably won't post much for a couple of days. I work 12 hour shifts tomorrow and wednesday and if they're busy they tend to just leave me too wiped to really focus. Will start throwing my two cents worth around again by Thursday! :)

Belisuavious

If the position isn't taken I'd like to apply to be the Number Two on the ship, or whatever title the First Mate would go by.

He would have grown up on a Ranch on the fringe and fought for the Independents simply because all his friends were fighting them and he didn't want to see his home invaded. Doesn't work out of course, but he couldn't have possibly known that.

As for slavery, he has no real feelings about it whatsoever. He doesn't particularly like slaves but he won't go out of his way to free them or speak up for them.

I am have some personal issues regarding NC, it's not something I really enjoy though like you said, just because this is in the NC section doesn't mean all sexual encounters will be non-consensual. I would prefer a freeform type of game but I wouldn't mind having dice rolled to determine success. Could be as simple as the player rolling a die and the GM or opposing player rolling another die, and whoever gets higher decides how the situation goes. The closer their numbers are, the more narrow the success and that has to be shown in the writing. 

orderNchaos

Is there still space on the crew??  Firefly and BDSM combined.....hhmmmm what fun!!! >:)

SatanKlaus

Wow, we have very quickly moved from 'interest check' to 'characters' and even beyond. I'm encouraged that you are all so enthusiastic about it but please take it slow. If you go too far, too quickly, then my control will be slipping and you will be left without a GM. Not that that would be neccessarily a bad thing. Just saying.

I propose the following:

You continue to post character bios here while I work on a coherent storyline involving all of you. As there are so many eager to jump in, I don't think we have time to roleplay 'recruitment'. So most of you, especially characters with an important job on board will have been on the ship for some time now and know each other well. The rest will also be on board by the time the story starts; as passengers, stowaways or...cargo.

Just so we have a timeframe: I think people need a little time to make a character and not everyone is as active as the quickest responders. I will continue to monitor the character bio process and flesh out the system we are going to use. Characters will be formally approved and posted in the official thread in a week of real time. That would be the 20th. I can see that you people are eager to start but please bear with me. After all, anyone who is serious about this roleplay must expect it to go on for months. So I'd say a week is fair.

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 12, 2012, 09:42:49 PM
Vin, I am worried that your focus is for a game that kinda centers around BDSM, which I admit bothers me a bit.  I think sexual elements of any kind shouldn't overshadow the story, especially a single element.

Well, I advertised this roleplay as 'slavery-themed' and 'BDSMy'. Obviously, Vim is familiar with the works of Shan'Yu, while you are not so fond of them. I certainly don't want to run this roleplay as a nonstop orgy of sexual violence, but some of it will happen. If you are not okay with it, then maybe this roleplay is not for you. Please make a decision now. It's better not to start, then to walk away disgusted and dissappointed.

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

Every single sentence of his proposal was about sex.  He said nothing about his character's personality, training, abilities, or background (except that he acquired a sex slave).  If you don't see an issue with that, then I will gladly bow out.

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 13, 2012, 03:56:22 AM
Every single sentence of his proposal was about sex.  He said nothing about his character's personality, training, abilities, or background (except that he acquired a sex slave).  If you don't see an issue with that, then I will gladly bow out.

I know Vim, I have seen him around before. He is a good writer. He can make a smooth character in any background. And although sex may be his final goal, he can go the extra mile and describe in detail how he got there. (And the 'how he got there' is what you want, the story.)

I do have an issue with him, though: Vim, you tend to hug the spotlight and screentime. You are very active and start a thread with every character. That's not how this is going to work. It stifles the roleplay and intimidates less active players. So if you want to play, play nice. Participate in one exchange or maybe two, but not more. If you feel bored, vent your excess energy in another thread. Don't hog this roleplay.

Thank you,
Satan_Klaus

PS: I have decided to play the captain myself. This seems to be the only way to give this group of drifters and misfits a sense of direction and keep the roleplay on track.

vin26m

I like Caela's pilot character and kckolbe's engineer.

I don't know about someone other than the captain being the owner.  I feel like the captain would have to be the owner, for the sake of authority.  Maybe the engineer bought the ship, worked on it, then sold it to the captain or lost it to the captain in a bet (yet another unintentional Han Solo reference). 

Branwen, a genteel scoundrel would be great for a crew of outlaws, I think.  Maybe she is on the run after one of her cons went bad.  She could be a loner looking for a family.  She could be a Companion who lost her "license" but still "practices."

kckolbe, I was just throwing ideas out there.  I can see how they are too sexual.  It's entirely possible to have a game in which slavery, including sex slavery, is a theme but all the sex scenes (when they come up) are consensual.

Maybe their first job is smuggling sex slaves, and the crew has to deal with the morality of it.  Or they could be smuggling one sex slave, who is a player-character.  The captain and crew would ideally find a way to complete the job but also get the slave back (such as kidnapping or purchasing the slave after delivery).

Another possibility is the whole crew has been enslaved (for hard labor and/or sex), but they manage to take over the ship for themselves.

I'm still thinking about the captain character (I focused more on Satan_Klaus' "what kind of action do you want to see" part of his first post rather than the "character you want to play" part).  I feel like the captain should have a background that is connected to or overlapping with at least some of the other crew members, and I wanted to see what other backgrounds would be there.  I would remain true to Satan_Klaus' ideas about his personality and formerly being part of the Independents (I've settled on a male captain instead of female).

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 12, 2012, 06:29:35 PM
I would be interested just wondering if will be using the serenity system and hmm  I cant decide between a former brown coat sabtoage  artist or a disallusuoned intelligence officer of the alliance that has run to the fringe to live

I never played Serenity system so I'm not confident in GMing it. I think we will work with a barebones storyteller system. This is reasonably simple, reasonably quick and many people are familiar with it. Complex details like ship/vehicle combat and the like will be abstracted by me into challenges for individual characters without resorting to any advanced rules.

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

I could see the engineer selling or loaning the ship to the captain, or making some other type of deal where the captain didn't have to worry about a boss.  In fact, I kinda like the idea of the captain renting the ship, making the engineer a kind of landlord rather than boss.  As long as the captain has the rent on time, he may do pretty much however he likes.

I don't mind there being non con scenes, as they definitely fit with the setting.  I just wanted to make sure that story and character development weren't tossed to the side for sex scenes. 

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 13, 2012, 04:25:00 AM
I could see the engineer selling or loaning the ship to the captain, or making some other type of deal where the captain didn't have to worry about a boss.  In fact, I kinda like the idea of the captain renting the ship, making the engineer a kind of landlord rather than boss.  As long as the captain has the rent on time, he may do pretty much however he likes.

I don't mind there being non con scenes, as they definitely fit with the setting.  I just wanted to make sure that story and character development weren't tossed to the side for sex scenes.

I do think its weird for the engineer to own the ship. If someone but the captain owned the ship, he would not be flying on it under the captain's command. That's not how the chain of command works. ("That's the chain I beat you with").

So I propose the following: The engineer owns a share of the ship. A lower percentages just means that he gets a bigger share of the profits and carries part of the risk. 50% would mean that he has a real say in matters and probably a lot of friction with the captain. Might be interesting to hear the engineer complain where the captain is going to take (and endanger) 'his baby' this time.

Satan_Klaus

vin26m

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 13, 2012, 04:16:47 AM
I know Vim, I have seen him around before. He is a good writer. He can make a smooth character in any background. And although sex may be his final goal, he can go the extra mile and describe in detail how he got there. (And the 'how he got there' is what you want, the story.)

I do have an issue with him, though: Vim, you tend to hug the spotlight and screentime. You are very active and start a thread with every character. That's not how this is going to work. It stifles the roleplay and intimidates less active players. So if you want to play, play nice. Participate in one exchange or maybe two, but not more. If you feel bored, vent your excess energy in another thread. Don't hog this roleplay.

Thank you,
Satan_Klaus

PS: I have decided to play the captain myself. This seems to be the only way to give this group of drifters and misfits a sense of direction and keep the roleplay on track.

I don't think I've ever gotten the impression that I stifle roleplay or intimidate others. 

If anything I've seen roleplay slow to a crawl when I'm inactive and pick back up when I become active again. 

If I like a game, I do get into it, and my goal is to include others, not scare them off.   

I was interested in the captain partly because no one else wanted to play him. 

I'm still interested in the game.  I love Firefly, I haven't yet gotten a good Firefly RP on E, and I really enjoyed previous RP with Caela. 

Not playing the captain opens up a whole bunch of new possibilities, but I will come up with something.  Since we seem to have a full crew (captain, pilot, engineer, muscle), I'm thinking of a passenger, either a female Companion or a male former soldier turned bounty hunter.  Either character could hire the ship's services.

Just to clarify, it's Vin, not Vim.

Innocence

If there is still room, I would love to play =D
Firefly has a system's tabletop game so I was just wondering if you were going to use that system or another?
Anyway, if there is room I'd love to play the female version of Jayne's character [I admit, he might have been my favourite]
So I guess that would classify me as the 'Brute/Gunman'?

Branwen

Quote from: vin26m on November 13, 2012, 04:19:08 AM

Branwen, a genteel scoundrel would be great for a crew of outlaws, I think.  Maybe she is on the run after one of her cons went bad.  She could be a loner looking for a family.  She could be a Companion who lost her "license" but still "practices."

Thank you for the input and idea, Vin.  I shy away from playing a Companion, former or current, because I don't think I'm sophisticated enough to carry it off.  Companions are amazing people and I'd rather someone who really wanted to play one and who was confident enough to play on take on the role.  Plus, they must be very, very uncommon so it's best I leave that one unique slot open for another.  Thank you for the ideas!  They're very helpful.

SatanKlaus

From the character lineup, this looks more like a mercenary company than a free trader. Not that that would be a bad thing. We can work with that. Mercenary companies certainly have a place in the 'verse.

Also, the number of players has become rather large. That's not really a problem...it's my experience that about half of the players will quit after a few weeks. I don't like it, but anybody who has played in a group roleplay here knows what I am talking about.

Looking at the two facts above, I propose the following: The play will be split into a shipboard crew and a ground-team for the first part of the introductory 'mission'. So all very 'shooty' characters will be together and the pilot, engineer and captain stay on the ship. Passengers and misfits can start where they prefer, though it will be more logical for most non-combatants to be on the ship.

The overall boss of the company will be the captain, but the ground-team probably has its own leader while they are away from the ship. This could be Jecter, the first mate, or one of the 'grunts'. If anyone likes the position and feels confident that he can keep his people in line and on task, please speak up.

Satan_Klaus

Branwen

Innocence, I love the idea of a female Jayne!  That's so cool.  Can you come up with  male name for her that's as funny as Jayne is for him?

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Branwen on November 13, 2012, 05:08:44 AM
Innocence, I love the idea of a female Jayne!  That's so cool.  Can you come up with  male name for her that's as funny as Jayne is for him?

"Jayne is a girl's name."

Innocence

Quote from: Branwen on November 13, 2012, 05:08:44 AM

That's actually a great idea =D
Thanks for the input
I think it shouldn't be a unisex name like Alex or Sam either.
Maybe something like...
Lance [which can become Lacy]
Flex [which can become Lexi]
Elliot
Zachariah

I will look up a picture for her character now and the type of weapons I'd like her to use.
The knock out potion that Saffron uses made me think poisons would be an interesting main weapon choice.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Innocence on November 13, 2012, 05:24:59 AM
I will look up a picture for her character now and the type of weapons I'd like her to use.
The knock out potion that Saffron uses made me think poisons would be an interesting main weapon choice.

The reavers in 'serenity' shoot poison darts/syringes, so there is a in-universe precedent.

Please note that I am not going to provide a a 10-page list of gear and weapons. That's not going to work for this roleplay. All weapons and gear will be strongly simplified and I'm not sure if I can make room for the complex special rules you would expect on such a weapon. On the other hand, it means that you can just pick what you like and maybe it will be thrown into a bag with all other 'medium sized guns' or something but at least you will have an effective weapon like everyone else. 

Satan_klaus

Branwen

Are we going to play in a pre-Serenity 'verse?  I'd very much like to see the mystique of the Reavers maintained and their chilling status as the ultimate boogeyman upheld.  They're so utterly chilling that way.

Innocence

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 13, 2012, 05:32:29 AM
The reavers in 'serenity' shoot poison darts/syringes, so there is a in-universe precedent.

They do? Wow it's been way too long since I last watched firefly... Will need to rewatch it all before starting the roleplay XD
Anyway~!! If it helps, I can limit myself to maybe 5 different types of poisons, so I'm not one of those characters that conveniently have a magical potion for every situation. I'll run them by you first to see if you think they'll be appropriate.
Is that cool?

Quote from: Branwen on November 12, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Btw, I noticed you said your character would most likely be like a scoundrel [a nice scoundrel though] so I had an idea for how perhaps our characters could be interrelated, if you'd like to hear it out I can either post it here or PM it to you to add to the mystery for the other players?

Branwen

Crusts!  I'm sorry, Innocence.  Someone approached me in PM already about me being their slave and we're exploring it.  If that does not pan out, and if you have not already done so, may I return to you with your offer for discussion?

Either way, you rock for making the offer!  Thank you!

Innocence

Quote from: Branwen on November 13, 2012, 05:43:38 AM
Crusts!  I'm sorry, Innocence.  Someone approached me in PM already about me being their slave and we're exploring it.  If that does not pan out, and if you have not already done so, may I return to you with your offer for discussion?

Either way, you rock for making the offer!  Thank you!

Not a problem =]
As long as everyone's got a good back story I think we'll all enjoy the game =D

Koekje

Name: Girias "Cookie" Bomban

Personality: Girias is a person with anger issues, who easily gets pissed off when not getting his wishes. His anger is only surpassed by his loyalty to a good boss, as he'll never betray those. He tends to make bad jokes and quickly starts insulting people as a way of attracting attention. Having lived a life full of crime, he generally distrusts people and keeps his firearms close at hand.

You will most likely find him walking around the ship as a way to combat boredom and to snoop around for reasons to throw people out of an air lock. If he's not patrolling, he'll be in his cot away from others with a pack of cards or sleeping.

Background: Grew up on a small, rural planet and left on the first ticket out of there for the action and the money. Most of the adult life has been going from one job to the other, sparring with the law and having spent over 7 months in correctional facilities as punishment for past "jobs". Currently recruited, but always looking for the next job in case the previous contract suddenly expires.
O'O's

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Branwen on November 13, 2012, 05:37:26 AM
Are we going to play in a pre-Serenity 'verse?  I'd very much like to see the mystique of the Reavers maintained and their chilling status as the ultimate boogeyman upheld.  They're so utterly chilling that way.

The play will definitively be pre-serenity.

Actually, I'm thinking about making it pre-war with the independent planets on the verge of breaking away from the alliance. It would be an explosive atmosphere with occassional militia skirmishes and there would be overlapping juristiction of local vs. federal authorities. Player allegiances would be split over planet rights vs alliance laws. I imagine the group as a whole will lean towards independence or at the very least play both sides. As there are only 2 sides, people might have to choose the lesser evil. For example, I could see some of our players favor the independence, even though they firmly oppose slavery.

Would that work for you guys?

Satan_Klaus

Koekje

It'd put a bigger strain on crew relations and add way more potential for conflicts with NPC's.

I'm okay with this! :)
O'O's

Innocence

I think it would definitely be an interesting twist, I would definitely go for independence, everyone being ruled over one government feels more like everyone being trapped and restricted by a dictator. 

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Innocence on November 13, 2012, 05:40:59 AM
They do? Wow it's been way too long since I last watched firefly... Will need to rewatch it all before starting the roleplay XD
Anyway~!! If it helps, I can limit myself to maybe 5 different types of poisons, so I'm not one of those characters that conveniently have a magical potion for every situation. I'll run them by you first to see if you think they'll be appropriate.
Is that cool?

Honestly, there are really only 2 types of poisons that are appropriate for a combat situation: a quick-acting narcotic for live capture and (maybe) a deadly poison. Most people who want to kill would use a gun, though.

However, in a non-combat situation there might be more options. Such a 'weapon' would probably be optimised for being silent and with a very modest 'sting' so as not to alert the victim. It wouldn't be a great weapon in a combat situation, though.

(And like I said: Don't focus too much on equipment. The 'verse of Firefly is not focused on tech. A thoroughly high-tech world with the right tool for every job would give a very different 'vibe'. There would be robots, or at least cameras and automated equipment everywhere. We need to keep things more 'personal', so the effect of equipment is not as big as you'd expect realistically. Hope that makes sense.)

Satan_Klaus

Caela

I'll have to re-work Keri's background but that why it's called a rough draft lol.

Kdyami

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

orderNchaos

kckolbe

We don't have a proper doctor, but TheRaven had a bit of medical training in his concept, probably just first aid for the field team. 

Intro Thread

Koekje

That'd let TheRaven have the same role als TJ in Stargate Universe. A field medic who gets thrust into position of main doctor/surgeon.
O'O's

orderNchaos

why not some Alliance bred doctor who was picked up on a broken down transport the crew came across and forced her into service......ing them?   >:)

Koekje

O'O's

kckolbe

Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a doctor serving against one's will.  Be too afraid of malpractice.

Intro Thread

Belisuavious

Yeah, I'm with kckolbe on that, I'd rather not have the person sewing me up to hate me.

Anyways, here is my character:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name:Richard Dawson

Orientation: Heterosexual

Personality: Richard is a professional sort of man, always doing whatever task he is assigned to as quickly and efficiently as possible. He cares about the well being of those under him since without them, he doesn't really have a job to do, or the job becomes nearly impossible. Very little nonsense sort of guy, he will lead by example whenever things get tough.
Background: Richard grew up on a rather large ranch in the outer rim area of the 'verse. Being a child of the so called Rancher Barons of the planet, he got as good an education as possible in the Rim, having a particular interest in military history. When he turned sixteen he joined the planetary militia. While this was more of a social gathering than a military one, they did train with their weapons and tactics for a weekend every month practicing war games against the militia companies from other districts of the planet. The whole event ended with a big barbecue and party. In fact, the only time in the seven years he was a part of the militia, he only saw combat once, when he was called out to investigate a wrecked ship. Turned out that it had been boarded by Reavers and sent shooting towards the planet, wrecking a prime stretch of hunting land. Thankfully there were only two of the Reavers alive after the crash but they were hard to kill and absolutely terrifying for the nineteen year old Richard.

When he was twenty three, his family ranch was sold. A string of thefts and bad weather left his family with only the leanest of the cattle. Taxes came due and despite his father practically begging for more time. There was enough left from the sale of the farm to set his parents up in town, but Richard and his brothers and sisters, the unmarried ones at least, simply began to drift away. Richard found work with a salvage crew for a time, but they lacked any permits whatsoever and narrowly avoided being tossed into prison. A short stint as a bodyguard put him in contact with the captain of the [ship name here] and he was later hired on as the First Mate

SatanKlaus

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 13, 2012, 11:52:10 AM
why not some Alliance bred doctor who was picked up on a broken down transport the crew came across and forced her into service......ing them?   >:)

We don't have a full-blown doctor, yet. But I agree that the a slave-doctor is kinda weird. On the other hand, the romans were perfectly fine with leaving the education of their children and other important tasks to slaves. In the end, slavery is a form of society we no longer fully understand. So it might work out, though you would probably be lower in status than any free person with a medical background. If you are fine with that, I'm sure we can make the background work.

Satan_Klaus

Caela

Keri Revised

Name: Keridwyn "Keri"  Jones

Personality: Keri is a very laid back sort of girl. In general, she doesn't bother herself with matters of morality too much though she is the sort that is naturally kind and, if able, willing to help those in need. Her loyalty lies with the crew of her ship, who are a sort of replacement family for her and helping a stranger will never come before keeping her crew safe. She's intelligent and learns new skills quickly but, having grown up on an outer planet, not as educated as she could have been had she grown up in the Core. She has a thirst for adventure and freedom that keeps her flying fast and, sometimes, laughing when a job turns dangerous and pushes her skills to their limits.

Background: Growing up on the outer planets she didn't have the access to education and technology that those in the inner core did but that didn't stop her from learning everything she could. Especially when it came to flying and navigation. Having a head for science and numbers she learned all that she could about the theory behind different ships, how they worked, how/why they flew, what common problems with them were, and how to push them to their limits.

She built a reputation as a pilot, first on small jobs on her own planet and then on longer jobs between worlds. Her reputation had her as bold, willing, and able, to push a ship to it's limits, and for being slightly crazy in finding those limits. She took chances other pilots wouldn't but she always brought her ship back into port. It was the crazy part that often had her catching jobs with smugglers and other, somewhat, nefarious types, the part where she always brought the ships into whatever port they were calling home, was what kept those same types coming back for more until she found a ship to settle, and a crew, to settle on.

With the rest of the 'Verse choosing sides all Keri wanted to do was fly. She didn't care much for the Alliance, but she didn't see how the outer rim would be improved by booting them out of their lives either. Of course she also didn't see what the Alliance gained by keeping a bunch of poor, dustbowl planets barely scraping by either. Truth was, she didn't much care. She had what she wanted and so long as neither side interfered with that, she'd let them battle it out on their own.

TheRaven

Okay, so, I've been having some other thoughts on character concepts. If someone is being brought on as a doctor, I've got another character in mind.

Philemon

Name: Philemon "Phil" Adricus

Personality: The Core smuggler is fiercely independent, one of his major reasons for joining the Independence movement. He's generally nice enough, but he has plans brewing under the surface almost constantly. Phil is possessed of a silver tongue and a quick wit, capable of seeing him through nearly any plausible lie, and he's definitely not above using this talent to his advantage. He has a taste for liberty and has a pretty abolitionist standpoint on slavery. Naturally, this creates some friction on-board the ship between him and some other crew members.

Background: Phil was born in the Core, and grew up incredibly poor. He picked pockets as a kid, and did some smuggling once he reached adulthood. When the Independence movement cropped up, Phil offered his services as a double agent in the service of the Browncoats. He enlisted in the Alliance military, began his career in the infantry, and began funneling intelligence to the rebellion during his service. When he was found out, he was chased out of the Alliance at gunpoint. After that, Philemon instead began to work as an infiltrator. Once the war ended, Phil fled the Core at last and ended up working in Eavesdown. He was picked up by a smuggling ship recruiting hands, and he's worked with them since then.

orderNchaos

In regards to the doctor, remember Simon was originally forced to help Kaylee.  She doesn't necessarily need to be a slave....(other than maybe a willing sex slave).  Remember I said broken down transport.  The crew could have simply said you work for us or we leave you.  Yes there could have been a "breaking in" period at first, but the prospect of being alive could have changed her mind about helping the crew.  I was really trying to create a scenario that puts the doctor on the crew in a relatively submissive position.  More thoughts on fleshing.... (  >:) ) out the doctor would be appreciated.

Mya Richone

Name: Mya Richone

Orientation: Straight leaning bi

Personality: Mya grew up a traditional Core high class kid.  Best schools, best grades and an overbearing family bent on over achieving.  Mya comes off as a sweet but determined woman who generally knew what she wanted.  She has a way of using her smile, her body and her demeanor to get people to do what she wants which as a Core Worlds physician meant that she never had to be strict or demanding of anyone.  Deep down inside Mya is a true submissive.  While she works in a demanding fast paced alpha type personality field, she yearns to free herself of that yoke and give herself to the desires of others.

Background: Born and raised on Osiris, Mya graduated top 3% of her class at medical school and went on to have a brilliant career as a Physician and researcher on Osiris.  After a few unfortunate situations where she allowed herself to be coerced into sexual encounters with a few of her colleagues, Mya decided to leave her position at the hospital and move offworld to Balerephon where she had a job lined up with a private hospital that caters to the rich and powerful at their estates.  During her trip, her transport broke down catastrophically and was left adrift without power or life support. The surviving crew and passengers slowly suffocated but Mya was trapped in the medbay section, where she had access to bottled oxygen and drugs to slow down her metabolism to make it last even longer.  After a few days helpless in space the transport was picked up by a salvage crew where they found her half dead in the wreckage.  Realizing that Mya is from a rich core family, the captain bargains with her that he could take her off the derelict and bring her home...but that the fare would be astronomical and that she would have to sign an indenture contract to make sure that she pays. Originally refusing the request, the captain ordered the ship to undock after all the salvage was on board, where Mya quickly changed her mind. Dignity aside, Mya served the crew as a servant.  While she was not originally fond of the idea of serving the crew, she soon came to realize this arrangement could serve many of her needs.

kckolbe

Caela, still lovely.  I would definitely be willing for Lance to have contacted your character perhaps before the operation was sold to the now captain. 

I really like Philemon's concept, as it leaves room for all kinds of plot hooks, not to mention that I like the idea of a poor person from the Core worlds.  It isn't seen often.

As for Mya, I may have a compromise in mind.  Perhaps her enslavement was prior to meeting the crew, and she was then sold to the captain as a sex slave.  Eventually her training was discovered, and her treatment and standard of living improved in return for medical services, but she still remains property.

Intro Thread

Branwen

I think the doctor as proposed has merit and should be played. The discomfort and moral dilemma can be great discussions to have between characters. Right now we are expending it between players. Also, too much kibbitzing might discourage a player from proposing a character or being willing to continue.

SatanKlaus

Please remember that this is just an 'interest check' thread. Please do not shoot down other player's character ideas. That's for me to do before we move to the next stage of the play.

Personally, I think a 'kept' doctor could work out. Here is my idea how Mya Richone could have found herself a place on the ship:

Her transport broke down catastrophically and was left adrift without power or life support. The surviving crew and passengers slowly suffocated but Mya was trapped in the medbay section, where she had access to bottled oxygen and drugs to slow down her metabolism to make it last even longer.

Fast forward a week or so, our heroic (il)legal salvage team finds the wreck and sets to work. They are surprised to find the ship's doctor alive and well. Realizing that she is from a rich core family, the captain told her that he could take her off the derelict and bring her home...but that the fare would be astronomical and that she would have to sign an indenture to make sure that she pays. Of course she refused...at first. When the captain ordered the ship to undock after all the salvage was on board, she quickly changed her mind. Dignity becomes such a...malleable term when you are faced with the prospect of being left behind alone in the black like that.

Now she has been on the ship for some time and people treat her okay. She may not have the same rights as the crew, not such a nice bunk and probably has to do scutwork when there is no patient to treat. But she is the doc and the crew knows that they shouldn't abuse her too much.

As an indentured girl, she has to do the work she is assigned and live under the rules imposed on her by her contract holder but she is not a slave. She has most civil rights a freeperson has, (except for freedom of movement and freedom of employ, of course). She comes from a rich family so, if she wanted to, she could probably buy out her own contract in the next civilized port with access to a core banking terminal. But for some reason, she hasn't yet.

Maybe the captain, keen on keeping her, always finds a shipboard task for Mya when they touch ground in a place where she could make it happen. As he holds her contract, putting her to work when and where he wants is legal, although it kinda bends the rules. In theory she should be allowed to pay her debt and walk away. But things like this happened often in earth that was' darker history, so there is a precedent. The captain likes to talk about liberty. He is a stout proponent of planet rights and local government...but he is kind of a prick when it comes to the liberty of others, so this would make sense.

Maybe her family isn't as rich as he assumed (and there are still her student loans and stuff) so she simply can't pay.

Maybe she is too proud to ask her family for money.

Maybe she kinda likes the life she has now, even though it sucks sometimes. Not returning home is her...rebellion of sorts...from the stiffling rules of the core and her ambitious family.

If you like my proposal, orderNchaos, pick a reason why you are still on board and maybe let us know what Mya thinks of her situation.

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

Let's talk ships.

What kind of ship do you want to ride out into the black? We need a medium sized transport, capable of transporting 10+ people and some cargo for a long haul. It must be able to go atmospheric or carry a very big, cargo-carrying shuttle. Sizewise, we are looking at between 100-1000 metric tons of loaded weight. The firefly is the obvious choice, but there are other options, like the Trans-U or the CL-54, maybe even a custom job. There are more things are flying in the 'verse than most people would believe.

More importantly, what does she look like? Is she new or a rustbucket? It's probably not the shiniest ship in the verse, either way, but it makes a difference how people will look on the ship and her crew.

Last but not least, what's her name? I want to hear suggestions!

Satan_Klaus

Koekje

Well, since we're in the midst of a war. How about an older, downed military dropship fixed up with parts from other ships? Preferably from the other faction as well, to make it a lovable mix and impossible to properly detect? This would imply it's a rustbucket that has been pieced together, but properly taken care of by the crew.

I'd vote for something like the "Line", since we're constantly on the line in the major conflict, on the line of legality, ...
O'O's

SatanKlaus

You are not in the midst of a war, you are on the brink of war. The shooting hasn't started properly...yet. There is lots of tension, though. And flying around in a decommissioned, not properly registered military vessel of unclear allegiance is just asking for all kinds of trouble...which is kinda cool.

The 'Line' is a nice name. Just be prepared for lots of 'end of the line' jokes...

Satan_Klaus

Branwen

Koekje

"Scheherazade."
Sounds mysterious! :p

And wouldn't the captain/first mate be the ones to choose the ship? Seeing as the rest of us were probably only taken aboard after he/she gets the ship?

Oh, and I do love a good running gag :p
O'O's

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Koekje on November 14, 2012, 07:38:12 AM
And wouldn't the captain/first mate be the ones to choose the ship? Seeing as the rest of us were probably only taken aboard after he/she gets the ship?

Well I'm not asking the characters, I am asking the players. Considering how important the ships is going to be in your adventures, I thought you might want to have a say in the decision.

SatanKlaus

orderNchaos

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 14, 2012, 05:04:56 AM
Please remember that this is just an 'interest check' thread. Please do not shoot down other player's character ideas. That's for me to do before we move to the next stage of the play.

Personally, I think a 'kept' doctor could work out. Here is my idea how Mya Richone could have found herself a place on the ship:

Her transport broke down catastrophically and was left adrift without power or life support. The surviving crew and passengers slowly suffocated but Mya was trapped in the medbay section, where she had access to bottled oxygen and drugs to slow down her metabolism to make it last even longer.

Fast forward a week or so, our heroic (il)legal salvage team finds the wreck and sets to work. They are surprised to find the ship's doctor alive and well. Realizing that she is from a rich core family, the captain told her that he could take her off the derelict and bring her home...but that the fare would be astronomical and that she would have to sign an indenture to make sure that she pays. Of course she refused...at first. When the captain ordered the ship to undock after all the salvage was on board, she quickly changed her mind. Dignity becomes such a...malleable term when you are faced with the prospect of being left behind alone in the black like that.

Now she has been on the ship for some time and people treat her okay. She may not have the same rights as the crew, not such a nice bunk and probably has to do scutwork when there is no patient to treat. But she is the doc and the crew knows that they shouldn't abuse her too much.

As an indentured girl, she has to do the work she is assigned and live under the rules imposed on her by her contract holder but she is not a slave. She has most civil rights a freeperson has, (except for freedom of movement and freedom of employ, of course). She comes from a rich family so, if she wanted to, she could probably buy out her own contract in the next civilized port with access to a core banking terminal. But for some reason, she hasn't yet.

Maybe the captain, keen on keeping her, always finds a shipboard task for Mya when they touch ground in a place where she could make it happen. As he holds her contract, putting her to work when and where he wants is legal, although it kinda bends the rules. In theory she should be allowed to pay her debt and walk away. But things like this happened often in earth that was' darker history, so there is a precedent. The captain likes to talk about liberty. He is a stout proponent of planet rights and local government...but he is kind of a prick when it comes to the liberty of others, so this would make sense.

Maybe her family isn't as rich as he assumed (and there are still her student loans and stuff) so she simply can't pay.

Maybe she is too proud to ask her family for money.

Maybe she kinda likes the life she has now, even though it sucks sometimes. Not returning home is her...rebellion of sorts...from the stiffling rules of the core and her ambitious family.

If you like my proposal, orderNchaos, pick a reason why you are still on board and maybe let us know what Mya thinks of her situation.

Satan_Klaus

I love the concept of being forced to join the crew or die.  I think the embarrassment of having to run to Balerephon due to unprofessional behavior put her in a situation where she is at odds with her family, thus their hesitation to pay her indentured status. 

"As an indentured girl, she has to do the work she is assigned and live under the rules imposed on her by her contract holder but she is not a slave. She has most civil rights a freeperson has, (except for freedom of movement and freedom of employ, of course). She comes from a rich family so, if she wanted to, she could probably buy out her own contract in the next civilized port with access to a core banking terminal. But for some reason, she hasn't yet. " and "Maybe she kinda likes the life she has now, even though it sucks sometimes. Not returning home is her...rebellion of sorts...from the stiffling rules of the core and her ambitious family."

Can I suggest that at the point where the story opens, she has paid off the bulk of her service? I still like having the plot stress of her owing a debt to the crew.  But as the comment says for some reason has not paid off her debt to leave the ship for some reason even though she has had many opportunities.  If possible I would like to start to slowly see her interaction with the crew as more of a part of the crew and less as an indentured servant, giving her the chance to integrate herself into the crew as an equal.  But we can work that over time. 

As for ships, I guess it depends a lot on the background of the crew.  I think something along the lines of the reaver style ship would be cool.

Not necessarily so torn up, more clean and shiny.

SatanKlaus

Name: Captain Braxton T. Early

Position: Captain

Background: Braxton Thomas Early was born on Summerfair to a family of wealthy ranchers. He was a sickly child and a wimpy teenager and, consequently, he was often picked on by other kids and his brothers. For a while, he retreated into himself and supported the idea of independence – if only on his book shelf.

When his father passed away, Braxton was 23. The ranch passed to his oldest brother and from the moment he took over, Braxton knew that he could not live under the new management. As a young man, he left the family house and studied politics on Osirus, fancying himself to be the forerunner of a new generation of local administrators and planetary elects. However, he quickly came into conflict with the prevalent alliance-centered school of thought and, after several heated arguments with professors and students, he was kicked out.

In response, he tried to join the fiercely pro-independence militia of Shadow but could not pass the physical requirements tests. After a year adrift, he finally managed to get into space-arm of the militia where he rose up to Lieutenant of the reserve in a supply company, commanding an aging but sturdy Trans-U. It seemed like he had finally found his calling but fate and politics stepped in again. The Alliance decided to ‘centralize’ all fleet supply in their attempt to weaken the military position of the border planets and Braxton was given the choice to either serve under an alliance-appointed officer or receive his honorable discharge.

Now in his late twenties, Braxton was again adrift without a job or a purpose. The independence movement was stirring but no one was ready to raise men and ships for a fight, yet. And he was certainly unwilling to return to his family farm and live under his brother’s rule. In the end, he sold his share of his heritage to his brothers so that he could afford a place where he could finally be free:

A ship of his own. 

Personality: Braxton likes to talk about freedom, about equal chances and opportunities. After all, it all adds up in his political treatises and books. In the real world, the independence movement he supports is fighting not only for freedom but also for maintaining the rights and privileges of local landowners and gentry like himself. On Summerfair where he grew up, slavery was legal, commonplace and a major source of labor and wealth for the local landowners. Consequently, ‘Freedom’, for Braxton includes the notion of private property which needs to be protected from the greedy hand of the state. And ‘property’ in this case may well mean…people.

Braxton Early is a southern gentleman: He keeps his word, respects the ladies and treats his men and his crew well enough. But in a darker twist, as a victim of bullying himself, Braxton finds he enjoys exercising power over people who are beneath him.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 14, 2012, 08:47:10 AM
Can I suggest that at the point where the story opens, she has paid off the bulk of her service? I still like having the plot stress of her owing a debt to the crew.  But as the comment says for some reason has not paid off her debt to leave the ship for some reason even though she has had many opportunities.  If possible I would like to start to slowly see her interaction with the crew as more of a part of the crew and less as an indentured servant, giving her the chance to integrate herself into the crew as an equal.  But we can work that over time. 

It all depends on how much you want to stress your status and consequent interactions. I'm certain you had a reason to ask me to find a way for her be a medic and yet unfree. What kind of interaction are you looking for? If she has almost paid off her debt and has normal relations with the crew, then this episode of indenture is just part of her backstory. That's fine, of course, but maybe not what you had in mind in the first place.

SatanKlaus

orderNchaos

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 14, 2012, 10:27:56 AM
It all depends on how much you want to stress your status and consequent interactions. I'm certain you had a reason to ask me to find a way for her be a medic and yet unfree. What kind of interaction are you looking for? If she has almost paid off her debt and has normal relations with the crew, then this episode of indenture is just part of her backstory. That's fine, of course, but maybe not what you had in mind in the first place.

SatanKlaus

Good point. We'll stick with her being indentured to the crew for the time and see how the game progresses.

kckolbe

I wasn't trying to shoot her concept down.  She did say that ideas were appreciated.

As for the ship, I love the Alliance Patrol Boat from the Serenity RPG.  I imagine the weapons would have to be removed, and those areas could become cargo bays. 

Intro Thread

Belisuavious

I don't have a preference for ship type, so long as it stays intact enough for us to take off and land in it. For names, what about:
"Freebooter"
"Loaded Dice"
"Argonaut"
"Puddle Jumper"

Just some ideas I had. The Line sounds pretty good as well.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 14, 2012, 12:36:40 PM
As for the ship, I love the Alliance Patrol Boat from the Serenity RPG.  I imagine the weapons would have to be removed, and those areas could become cargo bays.

That's a rather big and pricy ship. But it would be the the ideal transport for 'sensitive' express freight and/or a detachment of mercenaries. As a former supply officer, Captain Early might just know the right people to get him one as military surplus.

SatanKlaus

orderNchaos

Quote from: kckolbe on November 14, 2012, 12:36:40 PM
I wasn't trying to shoot her concept down.  She did say that ideas were appreciated.

It's ok guys, I appreciate Kckolbe and SatanKlaus inputs.  I think we finally have a pretty decent concept.  I'm looking forward to playing.

CS updated based on SK's thoughts. 

Do you guys think we should open up an OOC thread for everyone who's decided to play?

kckolbe

Yeah, worst case scenario, Lance could have gotten his hands on one that had been decommissioned and then salvaged it.  Also, would you be up for discussing Lance's role as a possible previous owner in PMs?  That ship is beautiful.  For a name, he would pick something like the "Rust Phoenix," which I think is just one of many examples of why he'd make a poor captain. ~grins~

orderNchaos, glad you weren't put off.  Miya is, by the way, amazingly attractive.

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 14, 2012, 01:01:14 PM
Do you guys think we should open up an OOC thread for everyone who's decided to play?

Well this already has become an OOC thread more or less, so we might as well continue to use it as such. Once we start the roleplay proper, I will comb the thread for any useful info and copy it to the OOC thread. Lets just keep the pre-game chatter here and start with a virgin thread when we start.

Satan_Klaus

Vergil1989

I don't know as much as I'd like about the 'verse' since I never finished Firefly, the show, but as long as it's still on Netflix I can start watching it here soon.  I do have to ask but have the Reavers shown up already or is that something to look forward to as the boogeymen from the darkest parts of space come around later in our story?  ;D  Either way if they have shown up already I can POSSIBLY put some kind of reference of them getting a hold of my person and the ship and her crew somehow get me away from them, just a random thought at the moment lol.  Otherwise I might have to wait and see since I'm not the BIGGEST fan of system games, but if it's easy enough to pick up I think I'd be cool with it.  Regardless, I was thinking if we ever got a Companion on board I'd either sign up as her apprentice or something since Reaver abductee or not, I plan to put a girl together that would need someone rather gentle and understanding to help her get back to some semblance of her former self.  Just a few ideas, I'm more than happy to hear ideas too though.  I did love Serenity the movie quite a bit so you could almost argue I'm channeling River Tam a little bit lol.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Vergil1989 on November 14, 2012, 02:05:38 PM
I don't know as much as I'd like about the 'verse' since I never finished Firefly, the show, but as long as it's still on Netflix I can start watching it here soon.  I do have to ask but have the Reavers shown up already or is that something to look forward to as the boogeymen from the darkest parts of space come around later in our story?  ;D  Either way if they have shown up already I can POSSIBLY put some kind of reference of them getting a hold of my person and the ship and her crew somehow get me away from them, just a random thought at the moment lol.  Otherwise I might have to wait and see since I'm not the BIGGEST fan of system games, but if it's easy enough to pick up I think I'd be cool with it.  Regardless, I was thinking if we ever got a Companion on board I'd either sign up as her apprentice or something since Reaver abductee or not, I plan to put a girl together that would need someone rather gentle and understanding to help her get back to some semblance of her former self.  Just a few ideas, I'm more than happy to hear ideas too though.  I did love Serenity the movie quite a bit so you could almost argue I'm channeling River Tam a little bit lol.

Well a reaver survivor certainly sounds like a broken person. There would have to be a very good reason for her to stay on board if she is indeed mentally unstable. She either needs a guardian who is on the ship or she needs to have a uniquely valuable skill. Otherwise, there is really no reason to let her stay.

Looking at the timeline, the 'Miranda experiment', which resulted in the creation of the reavers, is very close to the start of the civil war. It was probably undertaken as an attempt by the alliance to find a means to control the uprising populations of the outer worlds. Either way, there probably are reavers out there but they are not universally known, yet. There have been some raids and ships lost in space without a trace, but in the current polital climate these things just fan the flames of war with both alliance and indepent planets blaming each other's militias and paramilitary units for the attrocities.

Satan_Klaus

Vergil1989

I never did say she was defenseless, just that she would probably need someone to help get her life back together is all.  Hence why I thought Companion apprentice.  She could offer protection in exchange for a safe, sound environment....more or less lol.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Vergil1989 on November 14, 2012, 02:29:48 PM
I never did say she was defenseless, just that she would probably need someone to help get her life back together is all.  Hence why I thought Companion apprentice.  She could offer protection in exchange for a safe, sound environment....more or less lol.

As far as I know, no one is planning to play a companion. Also, this ship and its crew are probably as far from a safe and sound environment as you can be. Just saying...

SatanKlaus

orderNchaos

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 14, 2012, 02:24:34 PM
Well a reaver survivor certainly sounds like a broken person. There would have to be a very good reason for her to stay on board if she is indeed mentally unstable. She either needs a guardian who is on the ship or she needs to have a uniquely valuable skill. Otherwise, there is really no reason to let her stay.

Satan_Klaus

On a ship with NC BDSM, would this kind of splintered personality really be a good idea?? 

SatanKlaus

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 14, 2012, 02:40:24 PM
On a ship with NC BDSM, would this kind of splintered personality really be a good idea??

Well I think the 'action' would usually not take place out in the open. That would be most unseemly and not very gentlemanly.

But I agree that a damaged person would need a very good, very compelling reason to be on this ship. River had one in the form of her brother with very valuable skills combined with Mal's dislike of the Alliance and thus willingness to help the fugitives. Something similar is so far missing in Vergil' character proposal.

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 14, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
Also, this ship and its crew are probably as far from a safe and sound environment as you can be. Just saying...

As Lance:  Don't say that!

Intro Thread

Vergil1989

I'm still debating so no worries.  So probably no Reaver problem past then.  ;D  I'd offer to play a Companion but I don't know quite enough to pull it off I think.  We'll see yet I think.  ;D

kckolbe

Well, not all prostitutes are companions, and I imagine not all sex slaves would be either.  She could be someone with an eye for picking and grooming slaves, if that suits Braxton.

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 14, 2012, 03:20:30 PM
Well, not all prostitutes are companions, and I imagine not all sex slaves would be either.  She could be someone with an eye for picking and grooming slaves, if that suits Braxton.

Companions are rare, prostitutes are (literally) common. I'm not sure if trading sex slaves should be such a major part of the ship's business that they need to have a specialist for that on board, though.

However, I personally like the concept that this ship is like a 'darker and edgier' version of serenity. So the captain is a southern gentleman, true to his word, but he also keeps slaves. The ship's engineer doesn't love engines. He loves being his own boss and working as little as possible. And the ship's medic is not staying on to protect his sister. She is staying on because she is indentured. And maybe the ship's 'ambassador' does not object to being called a whore, 'because, well, because its true'.

So, yeah, there is certainly room for a prostitute on board. She can service clients in far-out settlements who don't have local 'service providers' and she can serve the needs of the crew as well. And maybe come along on missions of petty crime, thievery and deception where her skills could be fairly useful.

Satan_Klaus

Vergil1989

Name: Serenity Sun Kwan

Orientation: Bi  (As is common and required for all Companions, but she doesn't mind either.)

Personality: Serenity is everything a Companion needs to be and more.  Despite her rather rough start in escaping a slaver attack on her home world only to be captured later and sold to a Guild Hall, (which really wasn't a bad thing for her in the end,) she adjusted well since she was in all honesty too young to remember her real family.  The Hall and those within became her family and despite having been a slave sold to their Hall, she was freed almost immediately since Serenity was quickly discovered to have a natural talent for their ways.  Perhaps it was because of her own history which had been full of pain of both physical and emotional trauma that made her so receptive.  Whatever the case, she has gained a positive reputation as being one of the more sought after of her order's ranks, and Serenity loves that she's able to help those in need whatever the case might be.  Do not let her appearance fool you however into a false sense of security.  She is quite skilled in defending herself and has proven that on several occasions since hiring on to this newest ship to get away for a while and see the stars, more out of a desire to broaden her understanding of the Verse than any sense of adventure like some of those onboard.  Associating with less than savory folk doesn't deter her much either.  The only drawback is that she will not associate with slavers or those that keep them unless persuaded, possibly at gunpoint.  Even then that's a risky proposition since even in the black, there is no fury like a woman scorned.  However, she will make an exception if said slave keeper is kind to those he keeps, otherwise you best expect a knife in the dark.

Background;  Despite being an agricultural world that was considered by many, even then, to be a sacred place of sorts given the rich abundance of food that the place produced, slavers were still a problem from time to time especially since Hera was on one of the main trade lanes going back and forth to the Border worlds and the Alliance Worlds.  Either way you sliced it, the Verse it seemed had a cruel sense of humor and Serenity as she had been named after the valley her mother born her in, was not to have the same serene life that her name derived its meaning.  Even as a young child she was a peaceful, loving baby, seeming able to calm people just by being around her.  It was a gift that would serve her well into her adult life as slavers attacked when she was 2 and while her family managed to get offworld, they seemed quite persistent and managed to board the ship before taking all hands that were still alive to theirs before heading to the nearest world that would accept live cargo such as they.  Fortunately for Serenity, she was sold to a Guild Hall and freed almost the same day.  She was raised by the others in the Hall and when she was 12 years old, was given the choice to learn from them and become one of them.  Despite missing parents and family she couldn't really remember anyway, Serenity didn't hesitate in giving her decision to join the Hall.  She excelled in nearly everything they could teach her, and before long had a reputation as being of an empathic sort that was hard to come by even though all Companions were the same in that they were good at what they did, and that was helping people in their own ways.  Sure the sex that came with the job wasn't always fun, but Serenity never once had to mark a client as a black lister until she was 24.  Then for some reason she got three in a row and almost quit if not for a passing ship's crew she found quite intriguing after meeting them all.

It was from there that she became a traveling Companion but she mostly decided to stay on the Guild Hall controlled world that she had been raised in otherwise.  Whenever a passing ship came down to visit however, she'd be one of the first to examine and interview the crew onboard, seeing if her talents and personality would be a hindrance or a positive thing if she decided to travel with them.  So far she's been on several ships and so far no mishaps have happened although she has traveled with some rather unsavory yet wonderful people overall.  The only major rule she has ever said out front to anyone that was interested in hiring her along for their trips was that she would NEVER deal in flesh since she herself had been a part of that very trade, and not as a slaver.  Those that persist often get a closed door real quick.

player information

Scenes I’d like to see my character participate in:  Serenity doesn't have much experience with the rougher kinds of sex overall, and while I myself have no problem with Noncon, don't expect her to enjoy it much at all.  Beyond that I'm pretty open minded so long as there's no scat, watersports, etc involved.  No mutilations or death either thank you very much.  Just ask and you'll likely receive a yes more times than not.  ;D

Are you familiar with the works of Shan’Yu?
"It is required reading material only since most Companions shy away from pain on a moral grounds alone.  Pain is at most times counterproductive to what we do as Companions as a whole, but some very specific clients do appreciate a firm hand and those willing to provide are among our ranks.  While it is not something I prefer, I have indulged the more light variations of BDSM over the course of my life.  Blindfolds, light to medium bondage, some soft spankings/caning/flogging, etc.  But mostly I prefer to indulge in the more sensory play of things such as running ice over a person's flesh to stimulate their nerves into bliss, among other such things of this sort.  I am willing to receive this kind of treatment as well, but only if I trust said partner and client, otherwise we shall have to see."

attributes and skills

PhysicalSocialMental
Strength 1Presence 4Knowledge 3
Dexterity 2Manipulation 3Wits 3
Stamina 2Composure 3Perception 3

Melee 3  Dodge 1  Rifles  Gunslinger
Stealth  Athletics  Alertness 2  Survival   Riding   Driving
Empathy 5  Intimidation  Socialize 3  Seduction 3  Etiquette 2
Medic 2  Merchant   Pilot 1  Mechanic  Hacking   Petty crime
Pain-Tolerance   Spacer 1

I left skills that I didn't put any points into to learn possibly at a later date probably at the hands of those willing to teach them to her for something in exchange, tit for tat if you like.  From my understanding Klaus plans to hand out experience points and the like as things progress depending on certain parameters so I just thought I'd save myself a step and left those behind for future reference.

Vergil1989

I just wanted to say that I do have some stuff going on tomorrow so I shan't be around for most of the morning and part of the afternoon most likely on my end.  Otherwise I should be about if anything's required.  Thursdays I volunteer at the local nursing home my grandma's at so I'm away from any comp I can easily get to, just so everyone's aware.  Otherwise unless something changes I should be around most of the week and the weekend, although I do tend to take things E related a little more slowly if I post at all.

Branwen

Name:  Elfi, no last name.

Orientation:  Not under her control, presumed heterosexual.

Occupation: Nominally an indentured servant and unskilled laborer, factually a slave.

Personality:  Skittish, especially around people whom are upset, intoxicated or rough acting.  Keeps largely to herself and rarely makes eye contact.  Elfi works hard and keeps her mouth shut as much as possible.  She's learned that people prefer not to notice her just as they prefer not to notice furniture.  It's safer that way for their sensibilities and her personal welfare.  The Captain doesn't like too much attention paid to his belongings.  Elfi works hard, comes running when called, but she's not a sexual slave writhing in the ecstasy  of her chains.  She's held very much against her will, though her volition to escape diminishes daily.  She refers to her betters as Master and Mistis unless instructed otherwise and speaks the Captain's name as one might an Old Testament vengeful God.  She's not stupid but she is illiterate and has been described as 'pig ignorant'.

Background:  Elfi, born Elfriede, is from a Norwegian group of colonist from Earth That Was.  They settled on St. Albans and eked out their existence mining in the harsh, bitterly cold climate.  How Elfi came to be in the Captain's possession and utterly removed from the close-knit bonds of family and community is not known and she becomes very frightened if questioned about it. 

Aboard ship Elfi cleans, mends, shines, fetches, carries, sews, mends, cooks, serves, waits, makes beds, bunks and biscuits, polishes, and will even empty the ship's cat's litter box without being told to.  She also does whatever else Master Captain says to.

vin26m

Name: Sue

Occupation: Currently a mercenary, the ship's cook and the ship's "Public Relations;" formerly a herder and bounty hunter, possibly military

Personality: Sue is a simple guy with simple tastes.  He likes guns, ground-based vehicles, computers, food and women, which led him to be able to do a bit of weaponsmithing, mechanical maintenance and repairs, light computer hacking, cooking and womanizing.  He talks tough and mean but can be a caring romantic.  He has no problem with slavery, although he does not currently own a slave.  He holds up his end of the deal but he's loyal to the money.

He can be found pumping iron or fixing something with wheels in the cargo bay, or cooking something up or cleaning his guns in the kitchen.

Background: Sue seems to have grown up on and worked at ranches.  He looks and talks like a cowboy, was probably in the military and was a good bounty hunter and retrieval expert until he lost his own ship.  Now he just wants to get away from the wives and kids and spend the rest of his life going on adventures for cash.  From his bounty hunting days, Sue has a network of contacts with connections to the less legal trades of lots of places.

Belisuavious

kckolbe

So, here is what I have so far for the cast (I added some notes to show background):

Captain: Braxton T. Early, former wealthy rancher, militia man and current slave owner, owns Elfi
First Mate: Richard Dawson, backwater aristocracy and former militia
Engineer: Lance Daniels, former Alliance enlisted, silent partner in business with Braxton
Pilot: Keridwyn "Keri" Jones, outer rim commercial pilot
Medic: Mya Richone, rich kid from Osiris, now indentured servant
Grunt 1: Girias "Cookie" Bomban, ex-con, rural background
Grunt 2: Sue, former ranch hand and tinkerer, ship's cook (backup mechanic)
Other: Philemon "Phil" Adricus, ex-Alliance infantry and ex, abolitionist
Ship Slave: Elfi, owned by Braxton, from a mining colony

Passengers:
Companion: Serenity Sun Kwan, opposed to slavery

You'll notice that the majority of proper crew have similar backgrounds and views to that of the captain, something I imagine would sit quite uneasy with Lance. 

For Philemon's character, was he discharged for sneaking information to planets/militias getting ready to rebel?  Also, is he crew or passenger?  If crew, does he have a main function? 

For Elfi, is her primary job random tasks like cleaning?

Does anyone besides Keri know how to pilot?  This seems to be our only real gap, as Keri can't fly the ship and the shuttles, not to mention that she can't be at the helm 24/7.  I was thinking maybe Philemon or Sue could have a point in pilot for simple tasks and such. 

Let me know if I missed anyone.

Intro Thread

Branwen

Branwen

Quote from: kckolbe on November 15, 2012, 03:01:48 AM
Summation posts like that are always helpful to me.  Thank you, Kckolbe.

Elfi cleans, mends, shines, fetches, carries, sews, mends, cooks, serves, waits, makes beds, bunks and biscuits, polishes, and will even empty the ship's cat's litter box without being told to.  She also does whatever else Master Captain says to.

vin26m

Yeah, "A Boy Named Sue" is one of my favorite songs.

Sue can pilot a shuttle as part of his drive-anything skillset, but he wouldn't be an ace pilot or anything.

I might use a different name.

I do want Sue to be the cook (and a good one at that), but he can share the duty with Elfi.

Branwen

Sue's the cook, and a gorram good one.  Elfi can cook, but it's pretty uninspiring.  I am not at all going to cut in on your character's hook and expertise.  But she can peel potatoes and open protein if you tell her to.

SatanKlaus

I like your character concept, Vin. He looks like he will fit in well with the large 'mercenary' crowd we have on board.

As Branwen is aiming low - so very very low - in her character's responsibilities, I don't think you are going to step on her toes by being the cook. (And even if you do, it will probably be her apologizing for it.). You can be the cook and Elfie can do the dishes, serve meals and do the rest of the kitchen scutwork.

Satan_Klaus

PS: "Sue is a girl's name."

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Vergil1989 on November 14, 2012, 05:28:12 PM
I do want to say that while Serenity, (sue me, I loved the movie and it was the only first name I could come up with lol,) doesn't like slavers much at all, I am thinking that she and our good Captain are reluctant friends if nothing else.  She might not show him how good she is at being a Companion as far as bedmates are concerned, but neither will she see him as a threat to her well being, so long as he stays on her good side of course.  :P  If I need to edit though I will do so as long as there's a reasonable request behind needing it done is all I ask Klaus.  Beyond that, I hope you lot of merry folk enjoy what I put together.  ;D  Already on episode 5 of Firefly and getting quite good with the Verse and the feel of things lol.

You should be aware that there is a slave on board and that the captain owns her. So I'm not sure if Serenity can be friends with him, from her side at least. All the captain demands is that people shut up about their political views while they are on his ship (he will not return the favor, though) and then they can get along well enough to get the job done. The captain is also not too worried about Serenity putting a knife into him in his sleep, she wouldn't be the first to try. But if she wants to stay on the ship longterm, then they need to establish a stable relationship. If that will be 'you stay in your ship and I stay in my shuttle' or 'suppressed romantic attraction' depends largely on how Serenity perceives the captain, I suppose.

Satan_Klaus

TheRaven

Quote from: kckolbe on November 15, 2012, 03:01:48 AM
For Philemon's character, was he discharged for sneaking information to planets/militias getting ready to rebel?  Also, is he crew or passenger?  If crew, does he have a main function? 

Does anyone besides Keri know how to pilot?  This seems to be our only real gap, as Keri can't fly the ship and the shuttles, not to mention that she can't be at the helm 24/7.  I was thinking maybe Philemon or Sue could have a point in pilot for simple tasks and such. 

Officially Phil deserted, but if he hadn't, he likely would have been court-martialed and executed for espionage. It's not unreasonable to assume that he could fly a ship, though. He may not be 100% comfortable with flying the main ship in atmosphere, but he could probably be a good shuttle pilot.

SatanKlaus

A note on Philemon (and everybody else who hasn't gotten the news):

Our play will be set about 20 years before the events detailed in 'Firefly'. The Verse is on the brink of war, but no shots have been fired, yet. Reavers exist, but they are not even a rumour, yet.

I think it will necessitate only a minor adjustment of your character's backstory, though.

Philemon and the captain will probably get along well, considering that they are both firmly pro-independence. However, the captain's bigot insistence that keeping slaves is perfectly acceptable will probably frustrate Philemon to no end.

Satan_Klaus

Vergil1989

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 15, 2012, 05:09:01 AM
You should be aware that there is a slave on board and that the captain owns her. So I'm not sure if Serenity can be friends with him, from her side at least. All the captain demands is that people shut up about their political views while they are on his ship (he will not return the favor, though) and then they can get along well enough to get the job done. The captain is also not too worried about Serenity putting a knife into him in his sleep, she wouldn't be the first to try. But if she wants to stay on the ship longterm, then they need to establish a stable relationship. If that will be 'you stay in your ship and I stay in my shuttle' or 'suppressed romantic attraction' depends largely on how Serenity perceives the captain, I suppose.

Satan_Klaus

I know there's a slave onboard but if he EVER abuses said slave in front of her since she can't stay on her ship all the time then that's when you'll need to worry lol.  Otherwise though, as long as he keeps that business in private or something she'll bite her tongue as much as she can and stay in her shuttle other than for meals and the occasional job.  Maybe if he woos her enough he might get lucky and even find out just how good of a Companion she is, maybe even a weird romance deal could be worked into things, but the whole slave business will make it interesting if you ask me.  ;D  I only did it this way so that I had more to work with since everyone else seemed to like the idea that slave owning and all was ok.  Having someone that disagrees with it will add interesting if not entertaining plot and character development overall I figured, but if it does become a problem I'll pull out if necessary Klaus.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Vergil1989 on November 15, 2012, 08:15:19 AM
I only did it this way so that I had more to work with since everyone else seemed to like the idea that slave owning and all was ok.  Having someone that disagrees with it will add interesting if not entertaining plot and character development overall I figured, but if it does become a problem I'll pull out if necessary Klaus.

A large majority on board is in favor of independence and no one is really opposed to it. However, on the question of slavery things are at best split 50/50. I'm not saying that's a problem. Or rather: it's a problem but we will turn that into an interesting, roleplay-worthy problem. Its good that most people are in favor of independence, otherwise the looming civil war might turn into a shooting war on board. But I think you are the most militant abolitionist on board. The other will probably just try to talk, confront, scorn or otherwise engage with the problem in an interesting way without resorting to immediate violence.

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Branwen on November 15, 2012, 03:53:37 AM
Hilarious!  Johnny Cash fan?

Did you guys know he has a song called 'The Line'? If I remember correctly, that was the most popular name for the ship...

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

I will start work on an 'introductory exposition' where the captain gives a tour of the ship to an independence observer. The ship itself and every character will get a little screentime in their usual 'work environment'.

However, this is only my take on things. As I write, I will send each of you the portion pertaining to your character and you can add details and dialogue or demand changes. In a way, this will be your introduction to the group, so its your job to make sure that it is accurate.

And like I said before, I plan to start play on the 20th. If all goes well, I will send out the rules tonight (GMT +1) and will then start to officially approve characters.

Satan_Klaus

Vergil1989

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 15, 2012, 08:22:58 AM
A large majority on board is in favor of independence and no one is really opposed to it. However, on the question of slavery things are at best split 50/50. I'm not saying that's a problem. Or rather: it's a problem but we will turn that into an interesting, roleplay-worthy problem. Its good that most people are in favor of independence, otherwise the looming civil war might turn into a shooting war on board. But I think you are the most militant abolitionist on board. The other will probably just try to talk, confront, scorn or otherwise engage with the problem in an interesting way without resorting to immediate violence.

Satan_Klaus

I wouldn't deal in lead immediately either but it's still possible I'll admit.  ;D  Still, I guess I hadn't looked at the other profiles close enough to see that there was more than me that didn't like the slavery idea, my apologies on that.  Even so, I don't think I'll change Serenity's own since I like her the way she is.  She's a Companion so a certain level of understanding of both sides is required, even if she doesn't like the idea of slave owning at all herself, so you don't have to worry about her causing trouble unless you purposely piss her off or something lol.  And that sounds reasonable to me Klaus.  Count me in if I get approved of course.  ;D

RedEve

I'm curious, what Firefly-verse archetypes have been snapped up already? :)
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

SatanKlaus

Kckolbe summed them up recently.

Captain: Braxton T. Early, former wealthy rancher, militia man and current slave owner, owns Elfi
First Mate: Richard Dawson, backwater aristocracy and former militia
Engineer: Lance Daniels, former Alliance enlisted, silent partner in business with Braxton
Pilot: Keridwyn "Keri" Jones, outer rim commercial pilot
Medic: Mya Richone, rich kid from Osiris, now indentured servant
Grunt 1: Girias "Cookie" Bomban, ex-con, rural background
Grunt 2: Sue, former ranch hand and tinkerer, ship's cook (backup mechanic)
Other: Philemon "Phil" Adricus, ex-Alliance infantry and ex, abolitionist
Ship Slave: Elfi, owned by Braxton, from a mining colony

Passengers:
Companion: Serenity Sun Kwan, opposed to slavery

But don't feel limited to what you have seen in Firefly. Anyone who has a plausible reason to be on board is welcome. Post your character proposal and we will discuss it.

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

There is going to be significant disagreement on slavery and independence.  I can see Lance and Serenity getting along well, as both are less than comfortable with slavery and both share non-rural backgrounds.  He would likely be thrilled to have a former Alliance soldier as part of the crew as well, though the desertion issue wouldn't sit well.  Of course, I'm sure Phil is a good enough liar to convince Lance he was set up and had to run.

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Alright, everyone! I started the OOC thread.

There, you can find the rules for play and character creation. Anyone who has a solid character concept, please go ahead and set it in stone.

Satan_Klaus

Caela

Keri is going to keep fairly quiet on the issues of Independence and slavery.

She's bound to like most of the crew to some degree, but Elfi is going to annoy the hell out of her lol. Not because she's a slave, but because she acts like one. She's likely to think that if the girl isn't willing to fight her condition, than she deserves it, or at least doesn't deserve to have it changed. If she catches the girl in her bunk, even to clean, there will be hell to pay.

Marie Reynolds

Okay so here goes I have finally have a concept put together of a headhunter and groom for acquiring and training new Slaves. His family would have a reputation in the underworld and their whispered about like people are afraid of  the family will appear in your life if you utter the name above a whisper. Though authorities and such believe it to be a  wild story cause this family has also developed excellent skills and contacts in keeping themselves out of records and files which has also made it quite profitable to make new acquistions in the slavery world and remove a sign of the persons identity or at the very least makes it seem convincingly enough the have a contract and are recieving a paycheck. Hope this fits with the concept of the game.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 15, 2012, 11:52:25 PM
Okay so here goes I have finally have a concept put together of a headhunter and groom for acquiring and training new Slaves. His family would have a reputation in the underworld and their whispered about like people are afraid of  the family will appear in your life if you utter the name above a whisper. Though authorities and such believe it to be a  wild story cause this family has also developed excellent skills and contacts in keeping themselves out of records and files which has also made it quite profitable to make new acquistions in the slavery world and remove a sign of the persons identity or at the very least makes it seem convincingly enough the have a contract and are recieving a paycheck. Hope this fits with the concept of the game.

It feels like your character is too many things at once. Being a headhunter is not really respectable, but it is legal on many border worlds where slavery is still legal. And, usually, headhunters produce very strong resentment in the criminal underground because they often double as bounty hunters. Also, training slaves is not usually part of a headhunter's job description, even if he catches runaways. The pay is for returning them, not training them. 

That said, you might be a 'specialist' who focuses on catching high-value slaves who managed not only flee their master but who have been helped by the underground railroad and made it to the core where slavery is illegal and stepping on such a world makes a slave free by Alliance law. As such, you would be in the highly illegal re-enslavement business which, by the law, is basically just kidnapping.

Hunting runaways would give you a good reason to travel with the ship. You would probably be a paying passenger and not part of the crew, unless you have some kind of part-time contract that gives you freedom to conduct your 'business' planetside and perform regular duty while in space. The character concept puts you very firmly on the pro-slavery side of the crew. The captain wouldn't have a problem with it, but be prepared to catch Serenity sneaking around in your bunk at night with something sharp and shiny in her hand...

Still, I would recommend dropping one thing from character's background to make it less 'overloaded'. Probably the 'scion of a crime family'. You can still have dangerous underground contracts, but I think you already bring enough trouble on board without having a mob family.

Satan_Klaus

Branwen

Marie, this is only a suggestion and I hope you do join the game!

What about making some of the things in your character's background lies?  Or exaggerations?  Think of the wonderful plot hooks that would add.  You add tattoos or marks showing you belong to a crime family, but you really don't and whenever you see someone who does you have to work your way around it.  Or maybe you're a 'Verse famous bounty hunter...one day.  Right now you're just starting out but love telling tall tales about yourself.  This doesn't have to be a pathetic thing, but more along the lines of a con artist type vibe.

Anyway, just ideas!  I really do hope you can find a character you like to play!

Marie Reynolds

Thanks for all the inputs and i was toying with the idea of having some lies in their. I was looking for input on the fluff as i already have attributes and skills done

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 16, 2012, 08:12:21 AM
Thanks for all the inputs and i was toying with the idea of having some lies in there. I was looking for input on the fluff as i already have attributes and skills done

Well if you think you are ready, you can post your character in the OOC thread (I have provided a character sheet template there). If something is not quite right with it, we can still edit it there.

Satan_Klaus

mayovagn

Is there still space in this thing?

I am up for playing whatever and whoever needs playing, though a cowardly thief in the style of Villa Restal from Blakes 7 does appeal a great deal.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

kckolbe

We are fairly light on passengers, which is fine, since I see them as optional, but I think any crew we pick up will need a point or two in piloting.  Also, I would prefer a female character as we are currently at 7 males and 4 females, and games that break the 2:1 ratio tend to suffer.

Intro Thread

mayovagn

I can play a passenger who has some piloting experience. Are you saying that you are lacking a pilot? Cos I can do that too...

How about a former Alliance freighter/supply pilot who was invalided out of the service due to PST before the end of the war after seeing too much and now isn't at all fond of her former masters?

I have no issues writing guys or gals or sentient penguins...

M.

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

kckolbe

We have one pilot, but it would be foolish not to have someone for taking care of shuttle flights, or taking the helm while she was asleep, injured, etc.  Not something you need to base your concept around, just a side duty.

I'm also glad to see your interest in playing the crew penguin, as that position remains empty.  Thus far, we've had a lot of interest from other applicants in such a position, but we didn't feel any of them would be able to do the role justice, and thus far all have had to settle for backup roles, so I'm also glad to see you have those ready.  I also want to stress that though we don't have a crew penguin, Satan_Klaus (our GM) has already stated that he will take care of any issues stemming from lack of penguin support though NPCs, so don't feel pressured into playing the penguin if you aren't completely comfortable.  Hope that helps.

Intro Thread

mayovagn

Oh, see, now I want to play the penguin...

Let me read back through and find the system and bio form details and I will submit something as soon as I can.

*Dances about to Jean Michel Jarre*

SatanKlaus

Like kckolbe said, there is still room.

Keri and Lance can fly the ship, as well as the captain and Serenity can fly her own shuttle so being a pilot is fully optional.

Basically, all essential positions (except for penguins) are filled so you have free choice of character.

The most important thing you need to bring is a good reason why your character is on the ship, why she stays on the ship and why the crew lets her stay on the ship. Everything else is optional.

Also, note that the play takes place 20 years before the events detailed in Firefly, so this is before the civil war and before the reavers. Slavery is still perfectly legal on many planets on the fringe and being in favor or against slavery seems to be the main dividing line among the crew. 

Look at the OOC thread for further guidelines and rules.

Satan_Klaus

mayovagn

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 16, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Like kckolbe said, there is still room.

Keri and Lance can fly the ship, as well as the captain and Serenity can fly her own shuttle so being a pilot is fully optional.

Basically, all essential positions (except for penguins) are filled so you have free choice of character.

The most important thing you need to bring is a good reason why your character is on the ship, why she stays on the ship and why the crew lets her stay on the ship. Everything else is optional.

Also, note that the play takes place 20 years before the events detailed in Firefly, so this is before the civil war and before the reavers. Slavery is still perfectly legal on many planets on the fringe and being in favor or against slavery seems to be the main dividing line among the crew. 

Look at the OOC thread for further guidelines and rules.

Satan_Klaus

Right, that will teach me to not skim. Well, no, no it won't, but I am going to go back and read through things. *Smiles*

Caela

Sleep? Who says Keri sleeps? Or that she doesn't just sleep on the bridge? Hehehehe, or that she isn't annoying enough to have reset the controls so no one else is going to be able to use them? Pilots are finicky creatures, leave her controls alone! :P

kckolbe

I'm kinda liking the possessiveness, Caela.  I can see Keri's attitude spilling over, just as I am channeling Lance's caution of ensuring the ship has plenty of redundancies.

Intro Thread

SatanKlaus

Quote from: kckolbe on November 16, 2012, 01:32:22 PM
I'm kinda liking the possessiveness, Caela.  I can see Keri's attitude spilling over, just as I am channeling Lance's caution of ensuring the ship has plenty of redundancies.

It would have more redundancies if you finally got your lazy ass up and fixed the primaries!

Captain Braxton Early

Branwen

Quote from: kckolbe on November 16, 2012, 01:21:20 PM
We have one pilot, but it would be foolish not to have someone for taking care of shuttle flights, or taking the helm while she was asleep, injured, etc.  Not something you need to base your concept around, just a side duty.

I'm also glad to see your interest in playing the crew penguin, as that position remains empty.  Thus far, we've had a lot of interest from other applicants in such a position, but we didn't feel any of them would be able to do the role justice, and thus far all have had to settle for backup roles, so I'm also glad to see you have those ready.  I also want to stress that though we don't have a crew penguin, Satan_Klaus (our GM) has already stated that he will take care of any issues stemming from lack of penguin support though NPCs, so don't feel pressured into playing the penguin if you aren't completely comfortable.  Hope that helps.
I want to have your babies. This is hilarious.

kckolbe

Glad you like it, and it sounds like Lance will have some awkward scenes before long.

Intro Thread

Innocence

Wow how long have I been away for?

kckolbe - Thanks for summing up all the characters so far =D
If it helps, I can make my character have some sort of piloting experience.

Name: Blake L. Thernwood

Position: Ex-Mercenary on the run

Background: Blake grew up on Lilac with her two older brothers, they were raised by their single-parent mother.  Growing up on the outskirts, surrounded by outlaws, Blake was taught to fend for herself at a very early age.  Her mother taught her how to mix potions, and her brothers taught her how to fire a gun.  Her nickname while growing up was 'Little BLT'.

At the age of 12, the quaint little ranch that Blake lived on was pillaged by bandits, which ultimately took the lives of both her brothers. 

Blake and her mother fled to Beaumonde.  Her mother now works in one of the many factories on the planet where Blake decided to take to a life of crime.  She worked as a mercenary for a couple of years, doing the odd job like petty theft or planting incriminating evidence.  It wasn't until she was 20 that things took a turn for the worse.  One of her anonymous patrons hired her to 'dispose of incriminating evidence'.  What she wasn't aware of was that the job required her to 'get rid of' the son of a wealthy aristocrat that had witnessed a previous crime. 

Since then she has become accustomed to killing people. 

She is currently on the run from the feds and has joined the crew to have a means of getting around. 

Personality: Blake has that innocent appearance that masks her true brutal malevolent self.  She gets angry easily, but instead of lashing out she'll just smile at you and wait until you're vulnerable to strike.  The only time she'll ever yell at someone is if they call her 'Little BLT', as it reminds her of her deceased brothers.  Blake isn't afraid to talk to strangers, but she hates being talked down to.  Sometimes she has trouble articulating sentences. 

Yes I used Felicia Day as my character's image, because I am madly in love with her.

kckolbe

Well who isn't?  We have already begun, but I suppose it is possible to pick more people up.  Also, the piloting is not a required ability, but an ability to pilot or repair would make you seem a lot more valuable to Lance.

Intro Thread

Caela

Quote from: kckolbe on November 18, 2012, 08:46:07 PM
Well who isn't?  We have already begun, but I suppose it is possible to pick more people up.  Also, the piloting is not a required ability, but an ability to pilot or repair would make you seem a lot more valuable to Lance.

And why are we worrying about Lance? ~smirks~ Another pilot would only muck up the works in Keri's mind...heck it's bad enough that the Captain thinks he should get a turn anywhere near her consoles!

Innocence

Quote from: Caela on November 18, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
And why are we worrying about Lance? ~smirks~ Another pilot would only muck up the works in Keri's mind...heck it's bad enough that the Captain thinks he should get a turn anywhere near her consoles!

I figure pilots are like any person who has just bought a brand new car, if someone goes near their baby *WhaPow!!* right in the kisser.

I guess Blake can have some experience with piloting, but not as good as Keri [obviously]
Since the roleplay has already started can we have Blake be a stowaway at first who has to prove her worth to the crew?
It might make things more fun =]

vin26m

Quote from: Innocence on November 18, 2012, 07:25:42 PM
Wow how long have I been away for?

kckolbe - Thanks for summing up all the characters so far =D
If it helps, I can make my character have some sort of piloting experience.

Name: Blake L. Thernwood

Position: Ex-Mercenary on the run

Background: Blake grew up on Lilac with her two older brothers, they were raised by their single-parent mother.  Growing up close to Reaver territory, Blake was taught to fend for herself at a very early age.  Her mother taught her how to mix potions, and her brothers taught her how to fire a gun.  Her nickname while growing up was 'Little BLT'.

At the age of 12 she experienced her first Reaver attack, which ultimately took the lives of both her brothers. 

Blake and her mother fled to Beaumonde.  Her mother works in one of the many factories on the planet where Blake decided to take to a life of crime.  She worked as a mercenary for a couple of years, doing the odd job like petty theft or planting incriminating evidence.  It wasn't until she was 20 that things took a turn for the worse.  One of her anonymous patrons hired her to 'dispose of incriminating evidence'.  What she wasn't aware of was that the job required her to 'get rid of' the son of a wealthy aristocrat that had witnessed a previous crime. 

Since then she has become accustomed to killing people. 

She is currently on the run from the feds and has joined the crew to have a means of getting around. 

Personality: Blake has that innocent appearance that masks her true brutal malevolent self.  She gets angry easily, but instead of lashing out she'll just smile at you and wait until you're vulnerable to strike.  The only time she'll ever yell at someone is if they call her 'Little BLT', as it reminds her of her deceased brothers.  Blake isn't afraid to talk to strangers, but she hates being talked down to.  Sometimes she has trouble articulating sentences. 

Yes I used Felicia Day as my character's image, because I am madly in love with her.

The game takes place before the Alliance War, so there probably aren't any Reavers yet.

If you're looking to fill holes, we have some:

We have a few pilots.  Keri is the main one.  Lance, Braxton, Serenity and Sue can also pilot.

No one has archery or explosives.

The one character with heavy weapons hasn't posted IC yet (and he's posted elsewhere on E).

Sue is the only driver (land vehicles) so far.

None of the front-line crew members have medic, mechanic or hacking.

Innocence

Quote from: vin26m on November 18, 2012, 10:14:53 PM
The game takes place before the Alliance War, so there probably aren't any Reavers yet.

If you're looking to fill holes, we have some:

We have a few pilots.  Keri is the main one.  Lance, Braxton, Serenity and Sue can also pilot.

No one has archery or explosives.

The one character with heavy weapons hasn't posted IC yet (and he's posted elsewhere on E).

Sue is the only driver (land vehicles) so far.

None of the front-line crew members have medic, mechanic or hacking.

Ok thanks for that Vin, I've changed Blake's Bio to remove the reavers =]

In terms of weapons, I was going to make her proficient in revolvers like the LeMat [Jayne's gun] and the Colt Python [Wash's gun]
I'll also give her a Winchester 1892 since it's a smaller rifle.

mayovagn

Isi can hack, not bad at it.

Course, she isn't an official member of the crew...

SatanKlaus

I thought you originally wanted to make a headhunter or was that someone else? Doesn't really matter anyhow. Your character looks acceptable.

The ship will land on Shadow in a day, in a factory town called Mowa. I recommend you use the day to finalize your character with skills/attributes and get it approved. Then, you can either hire on regularly or stowaway if you like. There are a lot of factory workers in Mowa and also a company of a large private security firm called Levet (their agents are called Levetts). These are similar to the Pinkertons, the 'Blackwater' of the 19th century. On the whole, they are a not-so-lovable bunch and you might fit right in. Either way, you should have an idea prepared as to why you will hire/stow away on The Line. (one might simply be that there aren't many other ships coming and going to Mowa at the moment).

Quote from: Innocence on November 18, 2012, 10:30:28 PM
In terms of weapons, I was going to make her proficient in revolvers like the LeMat [Jayne's gun] and the Colt Python [Wash's gun]
I'll also give her a Winchester 1892 since it's a smaller rifle.

Skills are a bit more general than individual models if you learn 'gunslinger', for example, you will be familiar with most handguns.

Satan_Klaus

Innocence

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 19, 2012, 06:11:10 AM
The ship will land on Shadow in a day, in a factory town called Mowa. I recommend you use the day to finalize your character with skills/attributes and get it approved. Then, you can either hire on regularly or stowaway if you like. There are a lot of factory workers in Mowa and also a company of a large private security firm called Levet (their agents are called Levetts). These are similar to the Pinkertons, the 'Blackwater' of the 19th century. On the whole, they are a not-so-lovable bunch and you might fit right in. Either way, you should have an idea prepared as to why you will hire/stow away on The Line. (one might simply be that there aren't many other ships coming and going to Mowa at the moment).

Skills are a bit more general than individual models if you learn 'gunslinger', for example, you will be familiar with most handguns.

Satan_Klaus

Ok I've posted the updated Character sheet on the 6th page of the OOC thread, it's got the skills and attributes and equipment and such.  But not the relationship section yet. I'm worried about writing up how my character interacts with the rest of the crew before I actually start roleplaying, as things might turn out completely different to how I imagined.  So is it cool if I fill that section in as I go?

In relation to my reasoning for being on The Line, how about a job went wrong with the Levet and I high tailed on the first ship I saw? My character would be running from the Levetts and her previous boss who she failed to complete her mission for. 

SatanKlaus

Quote from: CurvyKitten on November 20, 2012, 03:30:01 AM
Is there still place for one more in this game? I have an idea already brewing in my mind. But I don't want to put all sorts of effort into it if I'd not be allowed to play.

The deadline for the current 'mission' is the 20th, which is today. If you are very fast and I am immediately satisfied with your character concept then I will find a way to get you into the story. If not, then you will have to wait until the mission is finished or the story gives us a good opening to introduce your character. Obviously, for the latter to work you must have a character ready and prepared.

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

Huh, that's weird. CurvyKitten's original post (the one I quoted from) seems to have dissappeared. Can you guys see it?

Satan_Klaus

kckolbe

I don't see it now, but I had seen it.  Maybe she changed her mind and deleted it after you quoted it?

Intro Thread

CurvyKitten

I removed it once I realized I was probably to late. I didn't want to bother anyone with a request when there wasn't time to get a sheet up. I'm sorry.

CurvyKitten

I'm still interested though as much work I put into my sheets I'm not sure what I could come up with quickly.(half tempted to try, I have four hours to kill before a doctors appointment this morning.) I didn't realize anyone else would be up at the early morning hours like I was. :P

Innocence

It is already night time where I live Kitten.
Anyway I suggest you still apply =] It would be fun since I might be the only person joining the crew today.

CurvyKitten

Character sheet:

pic 4
Pic 3
pic 5
pic 6

Name:
Known Name: Levi Evens
Other Physical stuff:
She has scars from her fathers cane along her back and the back of her thighs.
Position:
Entertainer though she'd doubt that would be what caught the captains eye...maybe. Below that talent surface was a woman that knew how to handle just about anyone (well at least with her words). She knows the black market, and knows who has the cash to buy what you’re selling. She doesn't ask question but she does move the goods. If you ask her for something, she either knows it or has it. Or as one of her favorite lines goes, "I know a guy." You want information or contacts, you want to sell something to high rollers, a new identity, or simply want a hell of a song and dance she is your girl. As in her line of business you have to be in the know and in the demand. Not only to make a profit, but to keep yourself alive.

Background:
Elena was born to what some may call a nobleman. Not that she'd ever call her father anything close to noble. No she grew up knowing the truth of what he was. A manipulative, abusive, rat bastard that would sell his own daughter to get ahead. He raised her like she was his prized pony. Only she had no idea that there was ever going to be a race. Elena never wanted for anything while she was growing up. Granted that was usually because her daddy was always trying to buy her off. Ignore me hitting you or your momma and here is a new dolly, or sorry I beat you so bad I left a scar. Here's a pony...she named that damn horse Lost. Because her father and his promises were a lost cause.

She was given the best teachers with all sorts of lessons to keep up with: Lessons in languages, dancing, piano and violin, manners, traditional education, all the things he thought a lady of higher standers would need. And of course all private tutors.  Her father said it was for her own good, but Elena always thought it was simply because he didn't want the outside would to influence her. But even with him trying to hide her away from the world Elena learned about it. One of her teachers always snuck in new, books, pictures, and even a few movies. It made her want to escape the cage she was growing up in that much more.

From the outside it looked perfect, but for anyone that could see the real truth. They knew it was hell for the young woman. Though she did her best to endure till the day she turned 18. When she was finally 18 Elena thought maybe she'd get the chance to get away from her life. But her father had other plans for her. He planned to marry her off to one of his soon to be partners. A man that would further his hold on the planet they called home. And increase his status tenfold if the right cards were played. Elena was to be the thing that sealed the deal for him.

Upon finding out what her father was going to do, Elena refused and everything exploded into a huge fight. Her father struck out against Elena angry that she could even think of going against him. But her mother stepped in the way, the already frail woman didn't stand a chance. Her father struck Elena's mother down. Killing her in one quick shot. He would have turned against her if Nick one of the staff members wouldn't have stepped in. The older man struck her father on the head and knocked him out cold. Having no other choice Nick told Elena that he had to run, and if she was smart she would run too. She agreed to go with the older man. They gathered a few things, and before she left Elena cleaned out her father’s private safe. The bastard deserved it after what he had done to her and her mother.

Elena and Nick ran, Nick posed as her father and got them new identification. To Elena's surprise Nick used to be an old smuggler and was still rather good at what he did, despite being out of the game for so long. He told her that her father used to be a conman, still was just on a whole other level now. It turned out her father built his empire on a web of lies, back handed deals, and now murders. With the next coming months Nick and Elena kept moving. Nick started to teach Elena how the world really worked, along with all the tricks of the trade. Finding out that Elena's father had reported that Nick had killed her mother and kidnapped his daughter. Nick had a price on his head, and Elena a call for her to be returned home safely. Thankfully her father didn't have as much pull as he would have hope when it came to being off world. At least not as much as he used to.

Still as years past and Elena...now Levi grew into from a caged little girl, to a free spirited and strong will woman. She became the woman in the know, you needed something sold. She knew where the buyers were. You needed knew identity chips, she could forge them. You needed information that was hard to come by. She could dig it up. All the while somehow keeping herself unseen, and certainly not caught. Posing as an entertainer to those of hire station.  Not having the training to be a companion, not that she’d ever want to sell her body like that. But she was able to get into places without being that noticed and get to the clients that she knew would buy whatever it was she was selling. Along the way Levi gathers friends and well...acquaintances that she could call upon for just about anything. If she couldn't do it, couldn't get a hold of it, or didn't know it. Levi sure as hell knew someone that could.

And that is where we find Levi now, traveling the skies from planet to planet. Making a comfy living the only way she knows how. The scars are the only things that remain to remind her of her past. And with any luck it will stay that way.

Personality:
Elena aka Levi is a free spirited, strong willed, Willy young woman. She has come from what most may see as a blessed life, but to her was hell. And found a way to come back stronger than ever. She tends to keep her secrets buried so deep even she'd have a hard time finding them. But she is loyal to those that earn her trust, always one to repay a debt, and never one to turn down a good job...or a good time. After all a girl works hard so she can play just as hard.

player information

Scenes I’d like to see my character participate in:
Actions held in her own arrangements, interactions with the crew, maybe something that challenges her to face her past or share more of herself. She may not be much of a fighter (at least from what you'd think by looking at her) but she'd be a good front Wo-man...lol Or the behind the scenes information girl. Hell she may even know of a few jobs already needing a crew to do them.

Sexually she isn't a virgin, but she has never trusted anyone enough to really let herself go or let someone take control. She hasn't had any solid relationships in her life, and usually loves and leaves them. She'd say it was bad for business to hold onto ties like that. But really she is probably just afraid of letting anyone that close. Afraid of ending up like her mother. She is pretty open about sex, though she can't be bought. You want her then give her a reason to want you. She is bi though she hasn't ever been with a woman so the idea of it is still new to her.
Character's Ons: Kissing, touching, licking, bondage, spanking, passion in general. She has had fantasies about the dom/sub lifestyle but has never experienced them.

Character's Offs: mutilation, bathroom play, pain just to cause pain,

attributes and skills

PhysicalSocialMental
Strength 2Presence 3 Knowledge 3
Dexterity 3 Manipulation 3 Wits 3
Stamina 3Composure 2Perception 3
Dodge 1
Athletics 2
Empathy 1
Spacer 1
Stealth1
Hacking 3
forgery 3
performance 4
Etiquette 2
Socialize 2
Subterfuge 1
Merchant(specializing in blackmarket)3

Relationships with other characters

The Line (Ship)
It's a ship, I've been on dozens upon dozens by now. I don't really see the point of thinking more of it. I can't call it home because they never really are. For me they mostly just something that gets me from point A to point B.

Braxton Early(Captain)
He reminds me of my father...and that isn't a compliment. He seems the gentlemen and ever the captain of his crew. But there is just something about him that doesn't sit well. Like I'm waiting for him to lash out on me with that crop of his. God help me and him if he does I don't honestly know what I'll do if he does.

Richard Dawson (First Mate)
Seems like a good enough man, though I do wonder if he ever relaxes a bit. Maybe I'll get him some of that top shelf whiskey and see if I can't get him to open up a bit more. Seems the type of man that if your good to him he'll be good to you.

Lance Daniels (Engineer)
Seems nice enough, has a good head on his shoulders, and someone I could see sitting down with and just chatting. He seems to enjoy the good things in life, I kind of wonder how he ended up on The Line in the first place. But I guess that is part of his story. Maybe I'll hear it someday.

Keridwyn "Keri" Jones (Pilot)
She seems pretty laid back, like the type of gal I could sit and relax with. I think I'll get along with her well enough. Maybe she can teach me how to fly one day. Yeah I'm sure the captain would love that. :P

Mya Richone (Ships’s surgeon)
Seems a bit timid at times, though it looks like she likes being that way. Though she is a great doctor so I can't say anything bad about her. Id hate to have my life in her hands if she was angry at me. I can see the way she works sometimes, used to doing what it takes to get what she wants. But I guess that is just something some people pick up growing up the way she did.

Girias "Cookie" Bomban (Grunt)
Jumpy...quick to anger and probably quicker to pull his gun on you. I don't know why he is allowed to stay on board. Seems like a risk to me, I normally don't deal with a man that can't keep his anger in check. And if he snoops through my things he may just end up with one of my boots thrown at his thick head.

Sue (Cook)
Seems like a straight forward kind of guy, not one to have all these secrets and such. Least none that I'd ever need to know about. I'd never ask him about his name, because you never upset the man that makes your food. No in fact I think I'll see if I can't make sure he gets to being a friend of mine. I mean who wouldn't want some high end ingredients or drink...or maybe a new gun? Depends how good his cooking really is.

Philemon "Phil" Adricus (Conman)
I suppose you'd say he is the closest thing I'd see as a kindred spirit on the ship (though that's mostly due to the similar working habits I suppose). But I don't know much about him other then he is a smooth talker. And damn pretty to look at. I can see us working together, not sure how it will work out but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Elfi (Captain’s slave)
Girls down right jumpy, you look at her wrong and she skitters away. I wont do anything to get her into trouble, though I may see if I can't get her to read or maybe sneak her something sweet. I kind of feel bad for her, though I suppose she could be in worse spots. I've seen what some men do to their slaves, at least she is basically cared for.

Serenity Sun Kwan (Companion)
She is well spoken, educated, proper, well mannered, beautiful, seductive, everything my father wanted me to be basically. Including the bit about giving yourself to a man with the right about of credit or pull. I don't particularly like what she does, I ran to keep from being something similar to that. Granted I didn't choose or get to pick the man I went to bed with. She does what she has to I suppose, I just can't imagine why she'd be willing to sell herself. And still be so against slavery to boot. Isn't what she does a form of it? Maybe I'm just not seeing it from her point of veiw. To each their own I guess.

Isobel Smith(scoundrel)
Girls a bit dark if you ask me, but I guess everyone has what they enjoy right? Tends to stay quiet but seems friendly enough. Though part of me thinks she is just sizing me up or trying to figure out what makes me tick...yeah good luck with that.

Views on Slavery and Alliance/Independence

Alliance vs Independence
She has been sheltered from most of what is going on in the world for most of her life.(not that she ever tells anyone that little bit of information) Though she learned tid bits and has learned more from her few years of being out and about. She still may not really know which side is right or wrong just yet. Probably just tries to stay out of the political crap and do right by her own people or her weird form of honor.

Slavery
Slavery is something she knows that is there, she doesn't necessarily like it. As she knows what it is like to feel caged and beaten, feeling like you have no where to run. But she also knows sometime you just can't safe them. Sometimes all you can do is make what little you can a bit easier. She can't buy every slave and free them. But she could give one that hasn't been fed her share of food while their master isn't looking. Or if they are going to get whipped give them something to bite on and tell them to think of their favorite memory to get through it. Maybe is she is sneaky enough give them the salve she always used on her back. Stuff like that, it is a part of life she doesn't particularly like it. But she has a realistic view and knows there is only so much she can do about it.

Equipment

usually travels with, clothes, some gear needed for particular planets she travels to, computer she still had from when she left home with a few added updates from a hardware tech she knows, a folding knife she keeps on her person as her form of protection, cash ( though most of her stuff is stashed at the various hideouts or allies she has), a locket that belonged to her mother. Now if she were to stop and gear up form one of her stash houses she'd have a bit more. But Levi tends to travel light. Things like her violin would be left behind unless Levi knew she needed it.

CurvyKitten

Levi's sheet, I know it's rushed so I'm going to fix typo's and such. But let me know what you think. Also any suggestions on the skills and attributes section are always welcome!

Vergil1989

Serenity could easily find a job for your gal Curvy, that being trying to find her folks after they were sold into slavery 28 years ago, if you're interested and you get approved of course.  It would be a kind of long running sub plot most likely and how it ends hasn't been decided yet, but if they become friends, I'd expect it could come up.

CurvyKitten

If I get approved that may be a good idea to go with.

I don't know if Levi would possibly know some of you from her past. But if you want to work something special out just ask.

kckolbe

Did she grow up on a Core world, outer rim, or somewhere in between?  Based on her upbringing, I am guessing Core or a somewhat prosperous mid-rim, but not sure.

Intro Thread

CurvyKitten

The core more than likely, her father wanted power, money and all the perks of life. So he'd go for the best there was.

kckolbe

Gotcha.  Might wanna PM orderNchaos, then.  Her char (Mya) grew up on Osiris and is only five years older.

Intro Thread

CurvyKitten

Quote from: kckolbe on November 20, 2012, 07:56:23 PM
Gotcha.  Might wanna PM orderNchaos, then.  Her char (Mya) grew up on Osiris and is only five years older.

nods~ ok will do. Thanks hun!

kckolbe

Also, if you are still open to skill selections, I would ask for 1 point in the Spacer skill, which is a catch-all for familiarity with life aboard a ship. 

Intro Thread

mayovagn

Isi grew up on Ariel, only she was very disadvantaged and ran with a very bad crowd there... If that could make sense you are free to yell at me.