Discord

Started by Cynadea, September 03, 2017, 12:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynadea

I don't see that information anywhere, so if it's been discussed I missed it.

The forum RP world is largely turning to Discord as it's chat rooms. Gamers of E most likely have an account on there. The server is free, it allows voice chat, several rooms and private messages. You could even have the Ladies/Lord/Liege only rooms there, if people agree to be sorted into groups when they join the server. It would combine the chatroom and mumble in one.

It's really useful for people like me who would rather keep my skype information to friends and family only.

I am aware that it would mean another place to manage and monitor, but I am sure you'd find reliable volunteers for it. I know I'm just back from a year long hiatus, but I'd be one of those volunteers. I can help set it up.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

Ariel

This is actually something we, as staff, have been discussing :-) can't say any more than that just yet, but thank you for the suggestion!! :D
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Vekseid

Was planning on having it up earlier but now some things are moving quicker than expected on other fronts.

Al Terego

Please let us know when something is available.

Thanks,
-- Al

Nadir

we'll make a big thing of it, you won't miss when it hits!

SithLordOfSnark

I have moved to Discord for all my IM needs and since I despise IRC and rarely use the Shoutbox, this is something I'm definitely behind. :)
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Al Terego

Our of curiosity, what is wrong with IRC?

Nadir

Quote from: Al Terego on October 12, 2017, 07:48:34 AM
Our of curiosity, what is wrong with IRC?

What happened, is it down?

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Nadir on October 12, 2017, 10:51:11 AM
What happened, is it down?

I think they're just asking why certain people (like myself) don't like it.

Al Terego

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on October 12, 2017, 11:57:49 AM
I think they're just asking why certain people (like myself) don't like it.

Exactly.  Apologies for not quoting.

Would you mind sharing your reasons for disliking it?

Nadir

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Al Terego on October 12, 2017, 12:16:21 PM
Exactly.  Apologies for not quoting.

Would you mind sharing your reasons for disliking it?

I have many reasons for disliking it, least of all the amount of spammers on IRC these days. I don't know if E's room gets hit by them, but so many servers/rooms are overrun by spambots.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on October 12, 2017, 02:02:46 PM
I have many reasons for disliking it, least of all the amount of spammers on IRC these days. I don't know if E's room gets hit by them, but so many servers/rooms are overrun by spambots.

IRCs rooms don't get hit by spammers, and if they find their way to the main room, they get banned.  (Because we IRC Ops are on that like white on rice....)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: The Dark Raven on October 12, 2017, 02:37:57 PM
IRCs rooms don't get hit by spammers, and if they find their way to the main room, they get banned.  (Because we IRC Ops are on that like white on rice....)

I still prefer Discord, especially since I remember to look at it but I ignore IRC. lol

Al Terego

Quote from: The Dark Raven on October 12, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

Apologies for the offtopic:
Discord (and most other IMs) allow me to have private communication with my friends, as well as get notified then they come on/off-line, etc.
Does IRC support that?  If so, do both of us need to be on the same IRC network?

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Al Terego on October 12, 2017, 03:56:21 PM
Apologies for the offtopic:
Discord (and most other IMs) allow me to have private communication with my friends, as well as get notified then they come on/off-line, etc.
Does IRC support that?  If so, do both of us need to be on the same IRC network?

I have not seen an option that allows a friend list ping on IRC (I could be missing it, but I've not seen it).  All I know is specifically for the Sorcery.net hosted Elliquiy IRC rooms as run on mIRC.  There are other applications that you can use IRC through, but I am not sure about their friend-listing capabilities.  I literally use IRC for E and one other fan group I am in.  As a user of both Discord and IRC, both have their uses, imho.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Al Terego

I connected to the IRC channel via Pidgin (which I use for all my communication needs on the desktop/laptop, including Discord).  Said hello, got deafening silence in reply.  Is it active?

Inari

If I am honest I prefer Discord over Skype since it is lighter on my system and doesn't fight with any other software on my laptop over access to my microphone. That and I was getting tired of random bots adding me or scammers from overseas...

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Al Terego on October 12, 2017, 11:22:45 PM
I connected to the IRC channel via Pidgin (which I use for all my communication needs on the desktop/laptop, including Discord).  Said hello, got deafening silence in reply.  Is it active?

I just saw your in/out logging.  I was afk doing dishes.  This time of night it is very quiet.

Al Terego

Quote from: The Dark Raven on October 13, 2017, 12:05:21 AM
I just saw your in/out logging.  I was afk doing dishes.  This time of night it is very quiet.

Hmmm...  I just wanted to test that I can send/receive messages.  I'll try sending something again and will appreciate it if you tell me if you see it.  Thanks!

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Al Terego on October 13, 2017, 01:02:16 AM
Hmmm...  I just wanted to test that I can send/receive messages.  I'll try sending something again and will appreciate it if you tell me if you see it.  Thanks!

It works :)

SithLordOfSnark

IRC has /notify which pretty much "pings" you when someone comes online, but it's not as affective as Discord's friend system.

Cynadea

Sith... A familiar face I didn't know was around here. You joined during my hiatus. *waves*

My knowledge about IRC dates of a few years. Last time I hung on IRC for an extended time was almost 20 years ago. Last I downloaded mIRC, about 5 years ago, it looked like it offered the same options. I was never fond of it, I don't know how much of an upgrade it got in the last couple of years.

I suggested Discord because it's easy to set up a server, and easy to manage. Under the same servers, you can have categories, and multiple rooms available with just a click. It's easy to give people roles (groups) and even to set some rooms to be available only to some groups or make it so guests see only the "general" room, while verified members have access to everything. It has a NSFW setting that's appropriate for this place. There's a tag system that let's you know if someone wants you to pay mind to a comment in particular, even if said comment was done while you were offline. It shows images and gifs as more than just a link. It has voice chat, which could remove the need for mumble altogether. There's a friend list that makes private chat easier and lets you see who on there is online. There's a phone app that works decently well...

I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Cynadea on October 15, 2017, 04:45:07 AM
Sith... A familiar face I didn't know was around here. You joined during my hiatus. *waves*

My knowledge about IRC dates of a few years. Last time I hung on IRC for an extended time was almost 20 years ago. Last I downloaded mIRC, about 5 years ago, it looked like it offered the same options. I was never fond of it, I don't know how much of an upgrade it got in the last couple of years.

I suggested Discord because it's easy to set up a server, and easy to manage. Under the same servers, you can have categories, and multiple rooms available with just a click. It's easy to give people roles (groups) and even to set some rooms to be available only to some groups or make it so guests see only the "general" room, while verified members have access to everything. It has a NSFW setting that's appropriate for this place. There's a tag system that let's you know if someone wants you to pay mind to a comment in particular, even if said comment was done while you were offline. It shows images and gifs as more than just a link. It has voice chat, which could remove the need for mumble altogether. There's a friend list that makes private chat easier and lets you see who on there is online. There's a phone app that works decently well...

I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

I think Discord has an "in the works" thing going on, as Ariel said.  We also have the IRC, SB, and Mumble, so all angles are covered. :)

Al Terego