Indigo Children

Started by Sabby, April 16, 2012, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Okay... I'm used to stupid parents. Over reliance on medication, excessive or old fashioned punishments, technophobia, forcing religious indoctrination... let's face it, making a child is easy, parenting is not. But sometimes you come across something that makes you seriously consider enforcing a parenting license.

And today, I found this little piece of societal garbage

Quote from: From the Indigo Child websiteWhat is an indigo Child?

As a summary, here are the ten attributes that best describe this new kind of child, the Indigo Child

They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it)
They have a feeling of "deserving to be here," and are surprised when others don't share that.
Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents "who they are."
They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).
They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.
They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and don't require creative thought.
They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like "system busters" (nonconforming to any system).
They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.
They will not respond to "guilt" discipline ("Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did").
They are not shy in letting you know what they need.

and... just in case you heard otherwise from other "indigo" sources, the designated word "Indigo" has nothing to do with the color of an aura! It is the result of scientific observations by a woman who has the brain disorder called synesthesia.

But these are all just the signs! What do they mean?

Quote from: more BS!The Indigo Child is a boy or girl who displays a new and unusual set of psychological attributes, revealing a pattern of behavior generally undocumented before. This pattern has singularly unique factors that call for parents and teachers to change their treatment and upbringing of these kids to assist them in achieving balance and harmony in their lives, and to help them avoid frustration.

Parents of E, is your child unruly, entitled, doesn't respond well to control, and generally acts like the world belongs to them? No, they don't have ADHD or that horrible disorder of being 5 years old. They are simply the next evolution of human kind, and it is your job to encourage and nurture these super children.

Yes, this is real x.x

Torch

The "Indigo Child" movement has long been debunked as pseudoscience by legitimate experts and psychologists in child behavior and development.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Beguile's Mistress

Ah...  Those sorts of people do exist.  I see it every day:  the person who skips an appointment then complains because we didn't call them to reschedule; the person who steps in front of me on an escalator as I'm walking up and jostles me then starts yelling at me and follows me into my quadrant in the revolving door to act like an entitled bitch; the man who pushes aside the grocery cart of an older man to reach something on a shelf rather than waiting; the mother who tries to push her way ahead sick children in line at the pediatrician's office because she was nearly two hours late for an appointment for a booster shot for her son. 

I was at a book store on Saturday and picked up a magazine I like.  It was the last copy on the shelf and someone's young brat came up and told me her mother said I should give her the magazine because she wanted it.  The kid threw a tantrum when I refused and her mother started yelling at me. 

Not all parents are like this but too many are and I would love to have their children taken away from them.  Not all children have this rock star attitude but way too man do and they grow up mean.

vtboy

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on April 16, 2012, 09:09:04 PM
Ah...  Those sorts of people do exist.  I see it every day:  the person who skips an appointment then complains because we didn't call them to reschedule; the person who steps in front of me on an escalator as I'm walking up and jostles me then starts yelling at me and follows me into my quadrant in the revolving door to act like an entitled bitch; the man who pushes aside the grocery cart of an older man to reach something on a shelf rather than waiting; the mother who tries to push her way ahead sick children in line at the pediatrician's office because she was nearly two hours late for an appointment for a booster shot for her son. 

I was at a book store on Saturday and picked up a magazine I like.  It was the last copy on the shelf and someone's young brat came up and told me her mother said I should give her the magazine because she wanted it.  The kid threw a tantrum when I refused and her mother started yelling at me. 

Not all parents are like this but too many are and I would love to have their children taken away from them.  Not all children have this rock star attitude but way too man do and they grow up mean.

Bad parenting obviously plays a major role in the creation of brats and the adults into which they develop. One other factor which I think is far too often overlooked, though, is the increasing insularization of our lives.

Much social interaction has been eliminated, or rendered largely impersonal, by technology. Thanks to the internet, cable and satellite television, cheap long-distance telephone service, and other products of technology, one need no longer rub elbows with other members of the species in order to shop, be entertained, or get professional consultation, all of which can be accomplished without ever leaving home. Workplace interaction has similarly been reduced by the advent of the home office. The social world is being replaced with virtual one.

Personal intercourse is on the wane and, with it, the complex set of social skills we were once forced to master to keep our relations civil. Little wonder that, on those increasingly rare occasions when we are actually forced to mingle, we have little idea how to go about it.   

Serephino

The subject of Indigo Children has been around for a while, though, that's the first time I've ever seen the symptoms described quite like that.  Also, supposedly these were people born in like the 70's.  They're supposedly gifted in many ways, which is why they have little patience for people of average stupidity intelligence.

OldSchoolGamer

I'm not an expert in the field, but perhaps the whole "Indigo Children" movement was a response to child psychologists and school officials looking for a label (preferably, one that would allow the administration of Ritalin) to slap on any child who asked too many questions, wanted to leave their desk and move around, or otherwise didn't fit neatly into his or her slot in the industrial education machine.

Perhaps it was, "we'll see your ADHD label and raise you one..."

Caela

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on April 16, 2012, 09:09:04 PM

The bolded part blows my mind!

a) I would never send my child to take something from another adult. Granted she'd be more likely to get it than I would because she's a cute little mini but I still wouldn't do it, it would teach her a HORRID lesson in trying to manipulate people.

b) My 3 year old does NOT have tantrums in public. She knows better. All a public fit gets her is a quick trip home, being sent to her room, and losing her privileges for the rest of the day!

I will never understand why people allow their children to act this way to begin with, much less encourage it! My daughter is only 3 so yes she's hyper and thinking before she acts is a rarity, that's why she has a mother. When she does something wrong (often thinking it's a game) I make her stop and apologize for what she did and talk to her about why it wrong. Ex. We were grocery shopping last weekend and she really wanted to go to the park and play Tag. I'd told her we could once we were done with the groceries but the shopping had to get done first or she wouldn't get lunch! She "Tagged" (slapped in the thigh) a woman in the store and we stopped dead in the aisle and I made her go and apologize to the woman who tried to say that it was o.k., she was just playing, and I told her it wasn't o.k. at all and made P apologize. Once she had I knelt down to her level and we talked about the fact that she didn't know the Lady and it was rude to "tag" people who weren't a part of the game. She understood just fine and we didn't have any more problems, and haven't since.

It's not that hard to teach your children if you are consistent in your expectations with them. Heck, these days, P sees a kid having a fit at the store and looks at them, and their parents, like they are all crazy because she knows I'd never let her get away with that behaviour and it makes me almost physically ill to see parents give into such displays.

[/rant]

Oniya

The little Oni is one of those that looks at the tantrum-throwers as crazy.  There's a girl at her bus stop who is constantly rude and demanding of her father (and I can see why he lets her get away with it, although it's not the sort of thing that would stop me) and the little Oni has told me that she doesn't like being around this girl because she's so mean to her Dad.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caela

Quote from: Oniya on April 19, 2012, 11:04:40 AM
The little Oni is one of those that looks at the tantrum-throwers as crazy.  There's a girl at her bus stop who is constantly rude and demanding of her father (and I can see why he lets her get away with it, although it's not the sort of thing that would stop me) and the little Oni has told me that she doesn't like being around this girl because she's so mean to her Dad.

I don't know her and I like your daughter!

As for the dad, shame on him for letting his child act like that! I don't care how cute they are, you can't let them walk all over you! My mini is totally adorable, to the point I've had strangers tell me it's just fine when she is a little brat because she's so danged cute. They shush right quick when I tell them it's not all right at all and I correct her behaviour. I'm not one for shaming kids but I am one for quick correction so if she doesn't something wrong in public, that's where it gets dealt with. A few public apologies (and I think the adults concerned were actually more embarrassed than she was!) and we have very few problems out in a public venue.

Aiden

Russell Peters - Beating Your Kids

I don't have kids of my won but I have dealt with some spoiled ass little brats when I helped coached little league. They shape up quick when it is a person of authority besides their parents.

Personally I was never "beaten" but I was corrected manually  XD as kid.

Serephino

Me too.  I really don't get people.  I never felt what all these psychiatrists say I should have when spanked.  My thought was I either shouldn't do it again, or figure out a way to not get caught.  There was no feeling of betrayal or confusion or fear.  Well... I was afraid of my dad when he got mad...  There is a limit, but I say whatever it takes to keep your kids under control.   

Oniya

The problem with recommending spanking is that most parents don't know how to do it.  A single, open-handed swat on the butt at the time of the offense is vastly different from 'Daddy's gonna git the belt when he gits home!'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Iniquitous

^^^ Ain't that the truth! I have tons of memories from growing up where my mother uttered that phrase "Just wait till your father gets home!" and then hours later - dad came home, she told him and dad brought out the belt  to tear my butt up. Can't think of one single time my mother actually spanked me or my brother.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Caela

Quote from: Oniya on April 21, 2012, 02:25:41 PM
The problem with recommending spanking is that most parents don't know how to do it.  A single, open-handed swat on the butt at the time of the offense is vastly different from 'Daddy's gonna git the belt when he gits home!'

I have always hated that phrase. Thankfully my mother never used it, she had NO problem with disciplining me and my brothers when we committed our crimes! lol Being a single mom I don't have the option to say it, but wouldn't even if I did. I used to have friend whose mother would say things like that and NONE of us respected those mom's as authority figures, no matter how much we might like them otherwise. I had one friend whose mother was the disciplinarian of the household and to this day I still respect her...even though I don't particularly like her.

Spanking is NOT rocket science. Warn the child that it is coming (unless their doing something dangerous) and if they continue then follow through RIGHT THEN. Mine usually only gets one swat but there have been a couple of nights when she just had to push the envelope and being blatantly defiant and she was warned that if she didn't stop she would get three. Only had to do that on two occasions and she figured out where mom drew the line in the sand and haven't had to do it since.

Starlequin

My grandmother used to put discipline off on my grandpa when my mother and uncle were growing up. Apparently he didnt like doing it either, because whenever he had to punish one of them,  he'd come home from work, take the offender into the bedroom, and whip the stuffing out of one the pillows while mom or her brother made crying sounds near the door. Then he'd take a small spritz bottle and spray a bit of water on their faces to make it look like theyd been whipped to tears. Grandma never caught on until mom's first year of nursing school.  :P
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Sabby

Quote from: Starlequin on April 21, 2012, 07:36:32 PM
My grandmother used to put discipline off on my grandpa when my mother and uncle were growing up. Apparently he didnt like doing it either, because whenever he had to punish one of them,  he'd come home from work, take the offender into the bedroom, and whip the stuffing out of one the pillows while mom or her brother made crying sounds near the door. Then he'd take a small spritz bottle and spray a bit of water on their faces to make it look like theyd been whipped to tears. Grandma never caught on until mom's first year of nursing school.  :P

Your grandfather is fucking awesome.

Starlequin

Quote from: Sabby on April 21, 2012, 07:42:57 PM
Your grandfather is fucking awesome.
Yes. Yes, he was. I still miss the old cuss. :-\

Caela

Quote from: Starlequin on April 21, 2012, 07:36:32 PM

I'm torn hearing this. On the one hand, it is funny as hell, but on the other it was a terrible precedent to set that it was o.k. to pull one over and manipulate their mother in such a fashion.

Starlequin

Quote from: Caela on April 21, 2012, 07:48:53 PM
I'm torn hearing this. On the one hand, it is funny as hell, but on the other it was a terrible precedent to set that it was o.k. to pull one over and manipulate their mother in such a fashion.
*shrugs* The old man explained to me once like this. If grandma really wanted it done right, she should have done it herself. Besides, its not like they were never punished. Extra chores and threats to  their social lives seemed to do the trick pretty well. They were just never hit.

Rinzler

I used to get a hell of a swat from my dad when I misbehaved as a kid - think of a motor mechanic with massive, calloused hands...and it used to hurt like hell. But I was a good kid, and never got smacked that much - unlike my brother, because he kept lighting fires everywhere. I'll never forget the time he had to stick his arse in the freezer to cool it down after one particularly hard smack.

Caela

Quote from: Starlequin on April 21, 2012, 07:56:03 PM
*shrugs* The old man explained to me once like this. If grandma really wanted it done right, she should have done it herself. Besides, its not like they were never punished. Extra chores and threats to  their social lives seemed to do the trick pretty well. They were just never hit.

Oh, I figured he found other methods of punishment, I just don't think he should have taught them that it was o.k. to manipulate their mother at the same time. It's a perspective thing, if I was your grandma, I'd have been pissed beyond belief at ALL of them.

Aiden

My mother was the main disciplinarian in the household. At a young age I learned that the "crack" of a belt was a warning to get in line or be on the receiving end. (Bend a leather belt in half and snap it, that sound)

Discipline was instilled in me at a young age so it didn't need to be exercised at a later age.

Starlequin

Quote from: Caela on April 21, 2012, 08:07:11 PM
Oh, I figured he found other methods of punishment, I just don't think he should have taught them that it was o.k. to manipulate their mother at the same time. It's a perspective thing, if I was your grandma, I'd have been pissed beyond belief at ALL of them.
...Really? I mean yeah, I sort of get what you're saying, but frankly, you're talking about a woman who, although I loved her dearly and miss her every day, had little to no problem hearing what she thought was her husband beating the living shit out of their children, even though she lacked the stomach to do it herself. Just doesnt seem like a whole lot of moral wiggle room in my book.

Besides, she had a good sense of humor herself. She used to cut grandpa's whiskey with dishwater when she was mad at him. :D

Caela

Quote from: Starlequin on April 21, 2012, 10:08:05 PM
...Really? I mean yeah, I sort of get what you're saying, but frankly, you're talking about a woman who, although I loved her dearly and miss her every day, had little to no problem hearing what she thought was her husband beating the living shit out of their children, even though she lacked the stomach to do it herself. Just doesnt seem like a whole lot of moral wiggle room in my book.

Besides, she had a good sense of humor herself. She used to cut grandpa's whiskey with dishwater when she was mad at him. :D

You make an excellent point. I hadn't really thought about the "beating the living shit out of them" part. I was thinking he only swatted the pillow a few times not enough to make it sound like he was really just letting go on them.

Hehehe...even I get caught in the perspective trap. I saw one part of the equation instead of looking at the whole thing. I would still not be happy with the being lied to and manipulated but then I am not squeamish about punishing my own daughter when she needs it either and if anyone actually beat her, the hospital or police would be the least of their worries!

LOVE the cutting his whiskey thing!