News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Because Google doesn't have enough of our information already

Started by Vekseid, January 04, 2010, 08:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Trieste

Big Brother Google loves you. Big Brother Google cares for your best interests. Big Brother Google is watching you.

Ruhinn

I am not very computer literate. I have read through that page, but I'm still not sure what exactly this means for the web surfer?

Misery

I have tried to limit my reliance on the glories of Google.  I use OpenDNS for my DNS lookups. 
“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

Skyara Snow

I'll have to read over that when my brain is actually working. It seemed interesting enough.

Mnemaxa

I have found using Yahoo Search leads to faster and better results.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Sabby

Quote from: Trieste on January 06, 2010, 11:17:11 AM
Big Brother Google loves you. Big Brother Google cares for your best interests. Big Brother Google is watching you.

...I read that with the voice of Xerxes in System Shock 2

Valerian

Every time I use Yahoo search, it asks me to load something (Gears, I think it was called?), which I refuse to do because I'm sure it's yet another info-gathering tool.  There are enough of those around already.  I've basically just resigned myself to being watched everywhere, and take some comfort from the fact that my life is boring enough that few would want to watch for long.  :P

Possibly I'd be even more paranoid if I'd understood more of the article in question, but there we are.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Talia

I don't know...I use Google Chrome. I haven't been asked to download or install anything.  Don't all web browser's store or collect info on everyone?

If not I would like to know which one doesn't, as I would like to use it instead.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Zeitgeist

I've never understood people's abject paranoia towards Google. It used to be Microsoft and now apparently people was fearful of Google. The more a corporate identity rises in the public awareness, the more people become skeptical. Persisting data between page visits has been around since the advent of web browsers. It is a trade off sure, the more a browser and web server knows about your habits the more able it is to serve up relevant content, etc.

I'd argue Elliquiy knows more about my private habits than any site. All of my dirty little secrets are stored in its database after all.

Select * From Stories Where User = 'Zamdrist' - Yeah that is ad hoc I know, just sayin'.