News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Beginning of the Iraqi Civil War?

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 05, 2014, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IStateYourName

Quote from: Kythia on January 06, 2014, 05:07:38 PM
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you mean by this.  Could you expand a little please. 

You said that Mesopotamia, today's Iraq, had been inward looking until European colonisation, focused on "stealing wives".  Others have mentioned the Ottomon Empire which was obviously a significant world power and it was hardly the first major world player to include that area.  So lets dispense with the "not noticing the rest of the world" bit.  To be clear, I'm mainly confused what you mean by "most of the middle east are tribal groups."  I suspect we are using at least one of "most", "middle east" or "tribal groups" differently.

Another major driving force is Islam, and the Sunni-Shiite schism therein.

Kythia

Not to mention the medieval war god you talked about earlier.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Kythia on January 07, 2014, 02:06:02 AM
Not to mention the medieval midevil war god you talked about earlier.

FIFY  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Neysha

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 06, 2014, 05:24:37 PM
Yeah there was a segment on NPR today.. it's getting hard to plot out who is where in the structure of things.

It's going to be truly epically nasty for a while. The State department announced there would be an expedited shipping of arms/drones to the Iraqi government

Though it's a rosy prediction, something like this could also be a unifying aspect. Unlike the first Awakening, which was sponsored by the Coalition forces, reapproachment afterwards was incredible strained largely because the Iraqi government under Maliki refused to include large numbers of the Awakening Militia or CLC (Concerned Local Citizen) groups into the Iraqi Army or Police respectively and because public works projects in the Anbar Province and other areas dried up when the Americans left. Naturally that resentment allowed Al Qaeda and its successors to be resurgent. (as well as capitalizing on the fact that the Coalition forces were probably more skilled in their operations then the Iraqi military)

Maybe now, confronting these problems without a large foreign military force also present, could be a unifying aspect to the Sunni-Shia groups within Iraq. If reports are true and Maliki is actually offering weapons to the Anbar tribes to help fight the ISIS and is calling upon Fallujah to help rise up and expel the the militants could possibly be used, further down the road, into providing more legitimacy and influence for the oft ignored Sunni factions in the government.

While it's a bit cliche, fighting a common opponent is obviously something that can unify disparate groups. With the examples cited earlier of India or South Africa, it's important to know that in the former, India does have a large Muslim minority (IIRC one of the biggest Muslim populations in the world) and even its non-Muslim segments are incredibly diverse ethnically and culturally and religiously and while it's not a first world country, it is 'relatively' stable and a democracy so 'tribalism' can be overcome. Same in South Africa, not everyone down there belonged to the same tribe, or were even just African or White. And while there are many problems, the country is relatively stable and a democracy. It can be argued that both have also had major events in their history which helped bond the disparate segments of the population together. Even if in both of those cases, it was an event that closely resembled a civil conflict or war.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Oniya

Quote from: Neysha on January 07, 2014, 08:14:36 AM
While it's a bit cliche, fighting a common opponent is obviously something that can unify disparate groups.

Heck, it happened during the Crusades.  The various local tribes pretty much united against the invading Europeans.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Neysha

So the Iraqi Army is moving into the ISIS controlled cities and that's turning up some interesting things off of MilitaryPhotos.net

AQ fighter found by security forces in hiding, wearing a woman's dress.

My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)